Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 26th Jun 13, 3:56 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 163Thanks
    snorfing along
    The dreaded D word
    • 26th Jun 13, 3:56 PM
    The dreaded D word 26th Jun 13 at 3:56 PM
    It's time that i started to tackle the debt that i have run up on a few credit cards and a loan, which now totals about 13,000. I meet at least the mimimum payments and i have never missed a payment or incured any fees or charges and it is broken down as below:

Natwest CC (0%): 450.33
    Barclaycard CC (0%): 5190.00
    Tesco CC (0%): 1200.00
    M&S CC (0%): 1200.00
    Santander Car Loan (9.9%): 5048.00

I have decided to sell my car and pay off my car loan and then with any remaining cash buy a cheap run around (Hopefully i can get about 6,500 for my car and spend 1,000 on a new one so i will have another 500 to pay off). Also i am changing job in the next few weeks so i should be paid for my un-used holidays, which should be about 600 after tax and N.I.

After all that i will probable have in the region of about 7,000 left to pay off. I usually pay off 315 a month, (at the moment this includes the loan for my car) and i will be getting a pay increase at my new job so i should have an additional 80 a month to pay off, so by this time next year i should have hopefully paid off 4812 leaving me with just 2100 left to pay off, which i might be able to clear 1000 of that by paying off a little extra and a bonus from work, fingers crossed i can stick to this now, I do have my best friends wedding to attend next year so that will mean a new dress, night in a hotel and a present but i'll try put money asside for that in the new year.

Can anybody offer me any additional advice or see any holes in my plan? It's seems quite easy now i have written it all down but i'm sure in reality it will be a bit more difficult to stick to
    Last edited by snorfing along; 26-06-2013 at 4:16 PM.
Page 5
    • tweets
    • By tweets 18th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 30,503 Posts
    • 433,846 Thanks
    tweets
    Thanks Tweets, I did have a phone interview on Wednesday and I thought it went quite well but I've not heard back so I guess not

Hopefully something else will come up soon (trying to stay positive even though I don't feel it at the moment)

Anyway next Friday is payday so I can make plenty of payments and get back on with paying off the debt
    Originally posted by snorfing along

They should let you know if you have got the job or not then you know instead of waiting
    Lost 3st-9.5lb
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 20th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Yes they should. I've sent an e-mail to the recruiter who set it up, I'm assuming they don't want me for an in-person interview but some feedback would be nice
    Barclaycard: 9645 Tesco: 2765 Halifax 330 Virgin: 3422
    Total debt: 16,162
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 24th Aug 18, 3:51 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Confession time, the debt is up to 15,138! Whoops this is what happens when I take my eye off the ball but I'll be cutting up my regular spend credit card tonight although I can account for every penny that has increased the debt the regular credit card spend (I pay this off every month) will slow me paying debt the rest of the debt
    I have a plan to pay off 600 a month and have everything cleared in 24 months-ish and I'll pay more when I can. This is double the min payment amounts which is good and I'll be keeping a close eye on when the 0% balances end.
    Feeling a bit better regarding the bad news from a few weeks ago, it's still bad and some of the debt increase has come from a result of it but there was a small silver lining yesterday which has helped to lift my mood (sorry if it sounds a bit cryptic)
    Bad news on the new job front - I didn't get it but I aced the interview but I was lacking a little bit of experience but I'm expanding my team hopefully where I am currently which will be great just waiting for approval from the board. The good news is that I'll be set some KPI's so that I can hopefully get a bonus next year - which will of course go towards the debt.
    My new car is going well and is cheaper to run so that's good on the MSE front and it doesn't need an MOT till 2020 so just a service to pay for in Jan (need to find out how much this will be and put some money aside before hand).
    Trying to keep the post a bit more MSE and I'll try to post a little bit more regularly to keep me accountable (maybe just to myself I'm not sure how many people will read this lol)
    Sorry it's bit of a ramble!
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 7th Nov 18, 10:27 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    So much for posting more regularly! But I am now back on it properly and my DH seems more on board than he has before (his light bulb has been on but on a low wattage but now it's burning bright!), which will make it a lot easier for us both to get through everything. I have now cancelled my regular spend credit card so this month is feeling a bit scary as I have no back up, but I have left more money in my account as a sort of emergency fund - which will move to the actual emergency fund at the end of the month. I have 150 in there to start it off and 40 saved toward the house insurance due next month
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 7th Nov 18, 11:41 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Just had a read through my posts for this year and it's amazing how much better I'm feeling compared to a few months ago. My anxiety was through the roof and my debt rose with it. There definitely is a correlation between mental health and debt, in future I think that if I have issues with anxiety again I'll have to just make minimum payments and make sure I have some additional money saved up it cover issues as they crop up. This year has been particularly horrible and it'll be nice to have a fresh start in 2019 and I hope it's a more positive year from my DH and myself
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Nov 18, 12:03 PM
    • 58,105 Posts
    • 239,412 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad to see things are ticking along nicely for you
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 9th Nov 18, 12:57 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Oh well, just as things were starting to get better, they're getting worse instead. DH has been a bit unwell and hasn't been at work so his wage will be taking a nose dive for the next couple of months. We can afford to cover everything but it'll mean no saving and only minimum payments to the credit cards. IT's typical it happens just as I had everything on track and was making a good overpayments to the cards.
    Also I've had a couple of bad days at work so I'm back on the hunt for a new one. Hopefully I'll do a bit better this time

On day I hope things can just be a bit more straight forward.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Nov 18, 8:41 PM
    • 58,105 Posts
    • 239,412 Thanks
    beanielou
    Keep plodding.
    Hope your OH is on the mend really soon.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

541Posts Today

5,378Users online

Martin's Twitter