Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 26th Jun 13, 3:56 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 163Thanks
    snorfing along
    The dreaded D word
    • 26th Jun 13, 3:56 PM
    The dreaded D word 26th Jun 13 at 3:56 PM
    It's time that i started to tackle the debt that i have run up on a few credit cards and a loan, which now totals about 13,000. I meet at least the mimimum payments and i have never missed a payment or incured any fees or charges and it is broken down as below:

Natwest CC (0%): 450.33
    Barclaycard CC (0%): 5190.00
    Tesco CC (0%): 1200.00
    M&S CC (0%): 1200.00
    Santander Car Loan (9.9%): 5048.00

I have decided to sell my car and pay off my car loan and then with any remaining cash buy a cheap run around (Hopefully i can get about 6,500 for my car and spend 1,000 on a new one so i will have another 500 to pay off). Also i am changing job in the next few weeks so i should be paid for my un-used holidays, which should be about 600 after tax and N.I.

After all that i will probable have in the region of about 7,000 left to pay off. I usually pay off 315 a month, (at the moment this includes the loan for my car) and i will be getting a pay increase at my new job so i should have an additional 80 a month to pay off, so by this time next year i should have hopefully paid off 4812 leaving me with just 2100 left to pay off, which i might be able to clear 1000 of that by paying off a little extra and a bonus from work, fingers crossed i can stick to this now, I do have my best friends wedding to attend next year so that will mean a new dress, night in a hotel and a present but i'll try put money asside for that in the new year.

Can anybody offer me any additional advice or see any holes in my plan? It's seems quite easy now i have written it all down but i'm sure in reality it will be a bit more difficult to stick to
    Last edited by snorfing along; 26-06-2013 at 4:16 PM.
Page 3
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 1:43 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,812 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am totally skint at the moment too.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Dorisd
    • By Dorisd 11th May 18, 4:37 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Dorisd
    Keep your chin up and book the mot, it is hard I know but keep the end goal in sight. Cheering you on from the sidelines
    MARCH 18 30,323.72 APRIL 30,155.32
    JULY 29,876.07OCTOBER 18 26,301.91

DFD March 2022 New DFD July 2020

Surveys 152.32
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 15th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Thank you for the support, down to the last lonely pound in the bank account (I have food and petrol money set aside) it's going to be a loooong 11 days till pay day
    Barclaycard: 9645 Tesco: 2765 Halifax 330 Virgin: 3422
    Total debt: 16,162
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 15th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    Working Mum
    It is always so hard when you're in this limbo land and motivation is low.

I tend to have a scout round at home to see if there is anything I can make/change around/de-clutter/weed when i am in these moments - diverting my attention seems to help me pass the time away. I think it is a way of identifying what my emotional triggers are for spending - taking a step back and slowing right down definitely helps me get things in perspective and allows me to rest so I am ready for the continued marathon I am on!

You are doing really well and you should be proud of how far you've come.

((hugs))

WM x
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 15th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    I second WM... in days of either not having the money to spend, or just not wanting to spend I kinda challenge myself (and therefore OH & DSS) to see what we can achieve without spending. Sometimes we've fallen upon tickets to a free day out, or its been as simple as we can't go out, lets clear out.... the cupboard under the stairs, airing cupboard, loft etc, or at this time of year the shed / clean the BBQ etc. Even managed to find some spare paint in a cupboard once, so ended up sprucing up the bathroom... all for no expenditure.
    You can do this! It is not forever x
    LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 21,225 PAID OFF
    *DEBT FREE 28th September 2015*

• snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 17th May 18, 3:48 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Just over a week to go till payday but this week has been the longest one ever, I'll be happy just to make it to Saturday. The car is almost dead so I need to get a new one (not brand new - just new to me) so I need to do some serious number crunching as anything I borrow will decrease the amount we can borrow on a new mortgage if we ever sell our house but I need something decent that'll get me to work and back (60 miles a day) and won't need anything doing to it for a few years. Also my dogs op seems to go well but he been bleeding a bit today so as soon as I get home I need to get him to his vets appointment so they can check him over.

My sleep gage is very low Sunday night and Tuesday night I got a couple of hours and I'm really feeling it today and a busy weekend ahead seeing friends and hopefully I'll get chance to have a look at some cars - even if it's just to narrow down what it is I want and potentially what that will cost.

On the good side I'm going to a conference in London next week so work will put me up in a hotel and feed me for a couple of days, which will save me spending any of my own money (not that there's much to spend)
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 29th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    It was finally payday on Friday so it felt good to make my payments and top up my savings accounts. I've booked my MOT for Saturday and then I can look at getting a new car in a couple of weeks, just need to decide what I want and sort out the finance.

We've taken the house off the market so that's one less thing to worry about for now but we're putting a 2 year plan in place to save up some cash pay down the mortgage and then look to move. The credit cards should be paid off by then as well and as much of the car loan as I can pay off. (Going to get a loan through Zopa the rates are really good and you can overpay and pay off early with penalty)

My dog is doing better he has tablets to take to help shrink what's left of the tumour and he seems almost like his old self, which is great to see. I need to sort out his booster's as he's a couple of months over due on these, the vet said he'll be fine for now but I'll be happy when I know he's fully vaccinated for another year.

As we've decided to stop where we are we have decided to do a couple of home improvement jobs that should make the house more saleable and also benefit us while we are still there so I spent my lunch break calling up companies to arrange quotes for fences, new driveway and step rebuilding and also for some huge trees cutting down (you can see them from the other side of the valley!). Doing these sorts of things really gets me stress, there is so much to organise and usually something goes wrong but I think it'll be worth it in the end
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th May 18, 7:29 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,812 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on payments & savings

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 30th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    So I've just realised that I have 1400 saved up in my holiday/annual bills/emergency which is great this will mostly all disappear over the next couple of months but it's nice to have some money put away and if I could pay it off my credit cards I would bring my balance down to 10,580 which seems a huge reduction from what it is currently, I'm going to challenge myself to get it to this by the end of September
    • Sweetcake
    • By Sweetcake 31st May 18, 11:24 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Sweetcake
    So I've just realised that I have 1400 saved up in my holiday/annual bills/emergency which is great this will mostly all disappear over the next couple of months but it's nice to have some money put away and if I could pay it off my credit cards I would bring my balance down to 10,580 which seems a huge reduction from what it is currently, I'm going to challenge myself to get it to this by the end of September
    Originally posted by snorfing along

Hey I'm intrigued as to how you keep your holiday/annual/bills/emergency as one account? thinking of doing the same
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 31st May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Hey I'm intrigued as to how you keep your holiday/annual/bills/emergency as one account? thinking of doing the same
    Originally posted by Sweetcake

I actually have 2 savings accounts as I was getting confused with how much was allocated for each in 1 account, so I set up a separate one for holiday saving and the annual/bills/emergency is in 1. I worked out how much I needed for each and started putting money in when I got paid a couple of months ago. It'll go up and down over the next couple of months as I take out some money for my home and car insurance and also my MOT (on Saturday ) but then I know that the money in there is too be spent on important things and the money in the holiday account is to be saved until the holiday needs to be paid for and then I'll start to save it back up again. But I do have it noted in my diary how much is allocated to each thing in the account

It does get a bit confusing through because I do have some holiday money in the bills account lol (for a different holiday and I'll put money into another joint savings account when I get paid for spending money). I actually thing it's better to have them separate and give them different names so you know what each is allocated for but it's nice to think if it as 1 large amount as for me it helps to keep me focused when I can see things happening.

I also move my petrol money into a separate account for the month so I don't spend it with my spending money.

I have no idea if the above even makes sense. I've had a long morning already with a 2 hour drive to work this morning due to a diversion and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders, much like my car
    • Sweetcake
    • By Sweetcake 31st May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Sweetcake
    I actually have 2 savings accounts as I was getting confused with how much was allocated for each in 1 account, so I set up a separate one for holiday saving and the annual/bills/emergency is in 1. I worked out how much I needed for each and started putting money in when I got paid a couple of months ago. It'll go up and down over the next couple of months as I take out some money for my home and car insurance and also my MOT (on Saturday ) but then I know that the money in there is too be spent on important things and the money in the holiday account is to be saved until the holiday needs to be paid for and then I'll start to save it back up again. But I do have it noted in my diary how much is allocated to each thing in the account

It does get a bit confusing through because I do have some holiday money in the bills account lol (for a different holiday and I'll put money into another joint savings account when I get paid for spending money). I actually thing it's better to have them separate and give them different names so you know what each is allocated for but it's nice to think if it as 1 large amount as for me it helps to keep me focused when I can see things happening.

I also move my petrol money into a separate account for the month so I don't spend it with my spending money.

I have no idea if the above even makes sense. I've had a long morning already with a 2 hour drive to work this morning due to a diversion and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders, much like my car

Hey, yeah I have mine all separate as you mentioned, I think it's best haha! was just interested really in how you manage yours but yes that's best! Wow, you even have a separate account for petrol that's interesting, okay I'm interested in that, lol tell me how you manage that..

never heard that before... sometimes ijust wonder if we separate everything, we'd have so many. but petrol sounds alright
    • Sweetcake
    • By Sweetcake 31st May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Sweetcake

although in saying that, you could actually use a credit card for petrol and pay it off, that's a thing a lot of people do
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 31st May 18, 3:59 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    I find it too risky to spend on my credit card so I avoid it if I can in the last few weeks the vet bills have gone on the credit card and some work expenses all of which are due to be paid back from work and the insurance company but because I've used it for those things I've bought stuff on it too so I now owe an extra 140 on my card which is new debt, I think I have probably over saved my April wage so it left me a bit short in the week before May's pay day plus a bit of reckless spending on some make up that I don't need I just wanted didn't help. That's why I like to close my CC accounts as soon as they are paid off to limit temptation

With regards to the separate account for petrol I use a full tank a week which costs about 45 so my monthly petrol spend is close to 200, this is why I keep it separate from my current account and I transfer it across when I top up. If I only filled up once a month I would keep the money in my current account
    Last edited by snorfing along; 31-05-2018 at 4:24 PM. Reason: petrol
    • Sweetcake
    • By Sweetcake 31st May 18, 4:44 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Sweetcake
    I find it too risky to spend on my credit card so I avoid it if I can in the last few weeks the vet bills have gone on the credit card and some work expenses all of which are due to be paid back from work and the insurance company but because I've used it for those things I've bought stuff on it too so I now owe an extra 140 on my card which is new debt, I think I have probably over saved my April wage so it left me a bit short in the week before May's pay day plus a bit of reckless spending on some make up that I don't need I just wanted didn't help. That's why I like to close my CC accounts as soon as they are paid off to limit temptation

With regards to the separate account for petrol I use a full tank a week which costs about 45 so my monthly petrol spend is close to 200, this is why I keep it separate from my current account and I transfer it across when I top up. If I only filled up once a month I would keep the money in my current account

yeah I see why you do now... no my spend is nowhere near this actually... i'll stick to paying it how I do normally or with credit card, but interesting
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 4th Jun 18, 11:37 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    The MOT didn't go well, the car is going for repairs on Wednesday and it's going to cost 200-300
    it was expected but there was a bit of me that was hopeful that it would be ok also the mechanic is going to try figure out the cars mystery fault. Looking forward to getting the car sorted so I can sell it and get something newer that I don't have to worry about it for a few years
    I've decided that the debt repayments are not going down as quickly as I hoped so I need to bring in more money - so I'm looking for a new job! polished my CV yesterday and sent it out and I've already got 2 calls lined up about the 2 jobs that I was most excited about, so far so good. Both offer a 10k a year pay rise and they're in the location I want but even if I get a job I have a 3 month notice period where I am now. It could be October before I'm in a new job.

I do wonder if my diary seems a bit of random ramble? Just reading back over my diary and it seems to jump from one thought to another
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Jun 18, 11:41 AM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,812 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on potential jobs.

***Keep plodding***
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 7th Jun 18, 10:55 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    So the car is sorted (touch wood) and the saving account is now 300 lighter but it's one less thing to worry about for now.
    I have had a little bit of a spend this week I bought a small wardrobe for our smallest bedroom so that I have a bit more space to store things - long dresses in particular, and I also got an over the door shoe storage thing, which is great I just need to figure out how to keep it hanging on the door properly. I definitely feel happier and calmer when things at home are properly organised and away, so I'm hoping that it's another little thing to reduce the ever increasing stress levels.
    As I've mentioned in my diary before my husband and I would like children but so far it's not happened so I'm being referred through for further investigation and treatment but apparently there is a 2 month wait to be seen, which seems like a really long time to wait but the ball is rolling and that's the main thing so I want to use the time to get thing organised and try to reduce my stress levels as much as possible.
    Exciting news on the job front I've already got 2 possible job opportunities, I've had good initial chats with 2 companies either or which would be great to work for - not exactly stress free but positive and exciting.
    I'm feeling like I'm not making too much progress with the debts at the moment but things should be back on track after we get back from holiday in July and I have my budget for June all ready to go, only 19 days till payday !
    I also feel like I don't see debt in the same way as everyone else. I never had LBM because I always knew it was unsustainable but circumstance caused it to be created and snowball, I've never done a SOA because I've always kept on top of keeping everything on the best deals and the food budget has never been out of control and through this whole process I've never felt very deprived or gone without, I want the debt gone just so I have less money going out every month but I do wish I was paying it off faster then on the other hand I don't want to change my lift style that much

Sorry long rant again!
    • snorfing along
    • By snorfing along 7th Jun 18, 10:57 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    snorfing along
    Almost forgot to mention we have upped the mortgage payments by 200 a month so at least the mortgage will come down quick even if the credit card balances don't!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jun 18, 8:31 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,812 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

2,340Users online

Martin's Twitter