Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Handy Andy ask Carol and Laurence for more money?
    • 29th May 07, 11:19 AM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Handy Andy ask Carol and Laurence for more money? 29th May 07 at 11:19 AM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Handy Andy ask Carol and Laurence for more money?

Builder and decorator Andy has been helping Carol & Laurence do up the run down house they bought as their new family home.!As they're good friends he's been doing it at mates' rates to give them a leg up and somewhere to live quickly.!Originally it was meant to be just three weeks' work, but it ended up being five weeks.!Now Andy's found out that due to a job change, rather than living in the house, the couple are planning to put the now glistening property back on the market to make some serious cash. Should he go back and ask them for full commercial rates for the job - over twice as much?

Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Handy Andy ask Carol and Laurence for more money?

Previous MMDs: Should Jordan take her kit off for cash?, Should little sis get a holiday too?

Page 1
  • Morgana
    • 29th May 07, 11:36 PM
    Real friends would offer!
    • 29th May 07, 11:36 PM
    Andy shouldn't have to ask for extra cash - real friends would explain their change of plan and offer to cough up. If they don't, he shouldn't help them out again.
  • bugsy101
    • 30th May 07, 7:53 AM
    • 30th May 07, 7:53 AM
    As the house is now going to be sold, and some serious money made from it, Handy Andy should ask / or be given a % of the profits for all his hard work.
  • cotsvale
    • 30th May 07, 8:31 AM
    • 30th May 07, 8:31 AM
    No Dilemma here - he should ask to be paid the full rate.
  • Leigh79
    • 30th May 07, 9:45 AM
    • 30th May 07, 9:45 AM
    If he made an offer to do it for mates rates that is what he has to do. What they do with the house afterwards is their business. If nothing was agreed then
    a) that was silly on his part!
    b) he could then ask them to pay a different rate for work already done but they don't have to agree
    c) he can only really negotiate for any new work

The only real moral dilemma is for them but there is no legal obligation :-)
  • msbarbarav
    • 30th May 07, 11:11 AM
    Handy Andy
    • 30th May 07, 11:11 AM
    Ask for the money but be prepared to damage your friendship. A friend of ours was unemployed and offered to help with building on our house at his stipulated rate, stayed with us for 2 months and we had a great time, got lots done and enjoyed ourselves. Two weeks after we finished he had a heart attack and sadly it was fatal. His wife promptly told us that the last thing he should have been doing was physical work. I just don't want to see her any more, it has ruined the relationship we had with her and her kids. I know this is pretty extreme, but weigh up what your friendship means to you first.
  • JULIE
    • 30th May 07, 11:13 AM
    • 30th May 07, 11:13 AM
    I agree with Leigh79 he shouldn't go back on what was agreed however he could make a joke saying that as you're gonna make all this money i shouldn't have charged you mates rates (type of thing) ha ha....if they had an ounce of guilt they could see him right for his hard work
    "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...
    until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
    • JayD
    • By JayD 30th May 07, 11:35 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    • 30th May 07, 11:35 AM
    • 30th May 07, 11:35 AM
    I agree with what so many have already said - and probably more eloquently too! Andy should not need to ask for more cash if these are truly friends - but if they don't offer, then I am all for him asking for a slice of the pie that he has helped to cook for them (groaning here).

The terms under which he undertook the work at that rate have now changed dramatically and I think he has every right to claim a decent rate of pay for all of his hard work. If they don't agree, then they really are not friends at all.
    • GileZ
    • By GileZ 30th May 07, 12:25 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GileZ
    • 30th May 07, 12:25 PM
    • 30th May 07, 12:25 PM
    I agree with many of the aforementioned opinions in that if the couple wanted to live in the house then fair enough but if they are going to make a big enough profit to compensate for the full rates (i.e. if it is £5,000 extra and they stand to make £50,000 then they should definitely pay him for the full commercial amount. However, if they aren't going to make enough money to cover it then they should just split a percentage of whatever they make with him as a token of gratitude. If they fail to do either of these then they are obviously not the friends he thought they were.
  • LEEBIE558
    In Aggreement
    Andy shouldn't have to ask for extra cash - real friends would explain their change of plan and offer to cough up. If they don't, he shouldn't help them out again.
    Originally posted by Morgana
    TOTALLY AGREE TRUE FRIENDS WOULD SEE HIM RIGHT WITH A SWEET LITTLE BONUS, BUT IF ANDY IS DOING MATE RATES HE'S PROBABLY ALSO NOT PAYING TAX OR NATIONAL INSURANCE SO HE BETTER BE CAREFUL! AN ALSO HE NEVER ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE HOUSE WHERE AS THEY DID SO THE MONEYS IS THERES, OBVIOUSLY BUT I MEAN HE SHOULD AT LEAST BE OFFERED SOMETHING IN RETURN I.E. MATES RATES FROM THEM
    • bagby
    • By bagby 30th May 07, 4:42 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    bagby
    I wouldnt ask them to pay the going rate for past work but if I was the on the other side I would give handy andy a bonus out of our profits. I would have thought that is what real friends do. If they dont give him anything without being asked, I wouldnt help out again again.
  • lizzie2911
    Andy has asked a price for the work he has done to help out his friends so technically the contract between them has been fulfilled. However there maybe a moral dilemma if Andy was unaware of their current plans to sell the property. He may have decided to charge more for the work if "his friends" had explained the situation, this way everyone gains. Also once Carol and Laurence have made their money they would be wise to offer Andy a bonus who knows when they might need his services again. Someone like Andy is worth his weight in gold both as a friend and as an handyman.
  • mistdemon
    I had a similar situation - a mate did a lot of redecorating for me for materials plus beer, then i decided to sell up as i'd moved jobs...if he had asked for a bit extra I would probably have been offended (human nature!) but I slipped him a grand anyway...the moral choice is with me so I would never put one of my mates in the position where they have to ask!
    (P.S. He refused it as a matter of principle so i gave it to his wife instead!)
    if i had known then what i know now
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 30th May 07, 8:33 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    I don't think that he can really renegotiate with them for the work that he's already done coz that's water under the bridge... but he could tell them how he feels about it - that is, he feels as though they've taken advantage of him - and see if they give him any more cash.

Whatever happens I would tell them that if they ever wanted him to do any more work for them then they would have to pay the full whack...

And maybe he should learn to be a bit more savvy and not such a pushover where friends are concerned if he can't afford to do it...

Having said all that if I was the couple selling the house then I would definitely give my friend a wad of cash after it was sold...

I know of a slightly similar situation. My ex-BIL finally moved out of his mum's house when she sold it to move in with her new husband. He was moving into a shared house and his mum gave him her old settee & chairs coz she needed to get rid of them anyway. A few months later he moves into his own furnished flat and sells the settee & chairs to the guy who owned the shared house. His mum then started moaning coz she didn't give her any of the money he got for them :confused: IMHO she gave him the stuff so whatever money he got from it was his...
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
  • Mozette
    I think they should give him a share of the profit, but I don't think he should ask.
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 30th May 07, 10:24 PM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    I don't see how Andy can feel hard done by if the change of job came out of the blue....after all he agreed the price and must have been happy to do it for the price quoted.

However if the job change was anticipated then if I was Andy I would be slightly p!ssed off but again as the price of the job was agreed I'm not sure if I would say anything......but put it down to experience and never put myself in a position again.

However if I was Carol & Lawrence I would feel bad if I didn't give Andy a token of my appreciation for all his hard work.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by 1,000.
    Overpayment to date : 310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    15.88 saved to date
  • Vital Spark
    How could they?
    Originally posted by Morgana
    Here Here! I heartedly agree except in that he shouldn't help again. Of course he should but at an inflated rate.
  • The Golfer
    Friendship or cash
    Friends come and go ......... you'll always need money
  • bigdave
    QUOTE=MSE Lawrence;5313835
    []Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Builder and decorator Andy has been helping Carol & Laurence do up the run down house they bought as their new family home.!As they're good friends he's been doing it at mates' rates to give them a leg up and somewhere to live quickly.!Originally it was meant to be just three weeks' work, but it ended up being five weeks.!Now Andy's found out that due to a job change, rather than living in the house, the couple are planning to put the now glistening property back on the market to make some serious cash. Should he go back and ask them for full commercial rates for the job - over twice as much?

Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Handy Andy ask Carol and Laurence for more money?

Previous MMDs: Should Jordan take her kit off for cash?, Should little sis get a holiday too?

[/QUOTE]
    Nice to save.
  • bigdave
    What is all this claptrap about contracts - these are meant to be friends. They should cough up and show what friendship really means
    Nice to save.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin