Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    • 1,014Posts
    • 3,231Thanks
    Crumpets
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-)
    • 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-) 4th Jun 13 at 2:01 PM
    Hi there,

Long time lurker here, I've been inspired by so many diaries on here that I thought I'd start my own. After just spending an exhausting half hour working out this months Morgage overpayment on the very complicated financial system we have in our house, I thought a diary might help me to organise my thoughts better

A bit about myself, I'm a SAHM to my lovely 3dc and my dh is a self employed web developer, so money can be a bit erratic coming in. We have been overpaying our mortgage a small amount pretty much since we took it out in 2007 with gaps here and there. This year though we have decided to live as frugally as possible (without missing out on fun times with the kids) and throw everything spare at the mortgage. We've done pretty well too so far, but I can feel myself getting complacent so here's where I hope my diary will come in useful

Anyway that's it for now

Crumpets
    Last edited by Crumpets; 04-06-2013 at 8:23 PM.
Page 56
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 9th Jan 19, 3:33 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    wow to learning a new language, Korean was not what I was expecting you to write. What does MV stand for?
    CRx
    Mortgage 82,000, due to end July 2036. 18/1/2019 Mortgage 79,150.55
    #67 mortgage free wannabe 2019 157.48/800
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 9th Jan 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    MV just stands for the Madvix - I'm a lazy typist
    Mortgage March 2011 143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 78,323.18
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 9th Jan 19, 5:11 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    oooo thought it was some secret code.
    CRx
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Jan 19, 9:33 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 12,656 Thanks
    themadvix
    Ooh, I fancy being a secret code!

Korean was not what I was expecting you to say either Crumpets! That sounds challenging! I'll tell DH about Lingodeer, he's always saying he fancies learning an Asian language.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Jan 19, 11:14 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 12,656 Thanks
    themadvix
    Our nearest ZW shop is about 40 minutes away so not local, I usually go once a month when I have to take dd1 in to the city for a lesson. I wish there was one in my nearest town, I'm half tempted to open one myself!
    Originally posted by Crumpets
    Do it, do it do it!!! Although, on second thoughts, it might be tricky alongside home schooling.... Although a great educational opportunity!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 13th Jan 19, 11:05 AM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Do it, do it do it!!! Although, on second thoughts, it might be tricky alongside home schooling.... Although a great educational opportunity!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Yeah, not sure I could fit it in at the moment, I'm not sure child labour would go down well with the education authority
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 13th Jan 19, 2:48 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Phew finally I can sit down for a proper update! this week/weekend has been a complete whirlwind! The first week back to normal after the school holidays always feels hectic, there's not enough time in the day to fit everything in. As expected all the invoices have come rolling in too

Yesterday we had an early start to get down to London for our day at Kidzan!a, which the kids loved, but was not cheap! it was a birthday treat for them all so the cost will be split between the birthdays fund and the holiday fund. We were all exhausted when we got home so it was an early night last night. Today we're trying to have a more chilled out day so we're rested for the week ahead. Saying that I've not stopped doing housework all morning as the house was a bombsite it's looking a bit more shipshape now (despite the huge den the children have built in the lounge) I've even got some washing on the line which is blowing away nicely

I have eventually got around to listing a bundle of toys on the bay. I had an offer for 20 come through almost immediately but I don't want to accept it when there is a whole week to go on the auction. I don't expect to get much more than that but I prefer auctions to offers. The money from this will go towards a birthday present for one of the dd's I still have 2 collectible teddy bears to list, I don't think they're worth much but I don't want to just give them away.

This morning I managed to get some mega cheap train tickets down to London for when we go to the Brits - 13 return each!! I've also booked us a travelodge, and we now have a friend coming so the room bill is being split which is a saving of 35 for me Sadly no nomination for dd's favourtie band, but I'm sure we'll still have a fantastic time
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 13th Jan 19, 2:52 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    wow to learning a new language, Korean was not what I was expecting you to write. What does MV stand for?
    CRx
    Originally posted by the cross rabbit
    Ooh, I fancy being a secret code!

Korean was not what I was expecting you to say either Crumpets! That sounds challenging! I'll tell DH about Lingodeer, he's always saying he fancies learning an Asian language.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Korean is definitely a challenge as there is a whole new alphabet to learn and it is just so different to the English language! I'm really enjoying it, I doubt I'll ever be able to use it in real life but it's certainly getting my brain working, which sometimes doesn't feel like it happens very often
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 20th Jan 19, 2:11 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Another week been and gone! This must be the quickest January that I've ever known, it's whizzing by! I'm looking forward to February for 2 reasons, 1, it brings us closer to spring and 2, I can have a glass of wine

Lots of productive tings done this week that were on my to do list I've renewed my passport online, which was surprisingly easy! Plus we've booked our accommodation for our holiday this year, we got a discount for booking early, which saved us about 500 I've been enjoying watching Michael Portillo's latest series which gives you a clue about where we're going I'm getting excited now We need to sort out a credit card for spending on while we're away now, so I'll be looking our for a good one.

It's been a pretty quite weekend, I didn't feel very well yesterday so I literally did nothing all day. Good old DH picked up the slack and let me have a rest I'm feeling better for having a rest but I'm still taking it easy today.

I did well on my ebay things this week, 35 made in total 9 is for dd1 as I sold something of hers and the rest will cover the cost of the riding boots I bought on the bay yesterday for dd2's birthday present I still have the teddy bears to list
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 22nd Jan 19, 5:03 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Well done on the ebay sales. Another one looking forward to spring
    CRx
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Jan 19, 10:12 AM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 12,656 Thanks
    themadvix
    Sorry, not a clue where Portillo is at the moment... and I've googled and can only see maybe Britain? Or Alaska/Canada (in which case, v. exciting!)
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 1st Feb 19, 12:46 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Yep it's Canada we're off to MV I can't wait

Well as usual it's been a busy few weeks, we've had both dd's birthdays and dh had to have a small operation. All done now though and we're starting to get back to normal.

Today has been a day of getting finances sorted, it's mortgage payment day so I'm looking forward to seeing the new balance showing in a few days once the OP clears. I also spent ages this morning looking for new car insurance quotes, only to find out my renewal was the cheapest anyway Plus I've been looking at credit cards so we can start earning airmiles. I don't want virgin atlantic as they don't fly where we want to go, so I'm looking at collecting avios points...Most cards seem to be AMEX though which isn't accepted everywhere...not sure what to do yet

It's so cold today, we only had a light dusting of snow though (much to my disappointment) I'm sitting here toasting my feet by the log burner, we normally only have it lit in the evenings but needs must today. We're going to need to order some more logs before the winter is through at this rate!

It's February, which means Dry January is over
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 2nd Feb 19, 1:16 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 12,656 Thanks
    themadvix
    Would love to go to Canada one day - I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 5th Feb 19, 6:17 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    I've felt a bit gloomy today, I think it's a combination of things, but mainly the weather. I'm fed up of being cold and the sky being grey There was one thing that cheered me up though today, seeing lambs frolicking in the field Bought myself some daffodils too to cheer the house up

A few small MS things have happened so far this week;
    • we got a free bottle of milk from the milkman so I cancelled the rest of the weeks order
    • Paid for 5 bootcamp sessions up front so I get one free - a saving of 3
    • repaired dd's school tights instead of buying new ones

Not much else going on, just concentrating on not spending.

OP is now showing on the mortgage so have update my signature

Happy lunar new year, I'm looking forward to an oriental feast for dinner
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 6th Feb 19, 11:27 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    I think feb is always a difficult month as spring seems so far away which makes me feel gloomy.
    CRx
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 7th Feb 19, 5:30 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    Crumpets
    February is indeed a gloomy month, I've been trying to offset the gloom today by being productive. I've had a move round of some furniture which lead to lots of cleaning. There were so many cobwebs, even the cobwebs had cobwebs The house is looking a lot better now though which makes me happy. The windows are next on my hit list, as on the rare occasion the sun shines I can really see how mucky they are

I've also found a couple of things to list on eb@y/FB too so hopefully that will mean a few more in the bank.

Our Mr T CC arrived today (we already had an account, we just needed new cards) so we can start collecting points again. I'm hoping to use them for travel but it's not set in stone. I don't know if it's because I'm approaching 40 but I have the urge to visit places I've never thought of before Maybe it's my midlife crisis There are worse things I could do though, than have a few holidays

Logs and coal have been ordered today which will see us through to the warmer weather. Hopefully they will last so we have some for later on in the year.

Home made bean burgers for dinner, followed by crumble and custard. Fruit for the crumble is what we foraged last year and I got a reduced carton of custard for 15p

Almost the weekend
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

988Users online

Martin's Twitter