Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    • 941Posts
    • 2,942Thanks
    Crumpets
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-)
    • 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-) 4th Jun 13 at 2:01 PM
    Hi there,

Long time lurker here, I've been inspired by so many diaries on here that I thought I'd start my own. After just spending an exhausting half hour working out this months Morgage overpayment on the very complicated financial system we have in our house, I thought a diary might help me to organise my thoughts better

A bit about myself, I'm a SAHM to my lovely 3dc and my dh is a self employed web developer, so money can be a bit erratic coming in. We have been overpaying our mortgage a small amount pretty much since we took it out in 2007 with gaps here and there. This year though we have decided to live as frugally as possible (without missing out on fun times with the kids) and throw everything spare at the mortgage. We've done pretty well too so far, but I can feel myself getting complacent so here's where I hope my diary will come in useful

Anyway that's it for now

Crumpets
    Last edited by Crumpets; 04-06-2013 at 8:23 PM.
Page 53
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Oct 18, 1:30 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Thanks for signposting the documentary on the secret life of landfill just finished watching it. I have to say I burst out laughing when they were talking about the dog poo fueled lamp post light, they were so enthusiastic. I see you've been a MF wannabe since 2013 how do you keep motivated? I think because our MF date is such along way away that motivation and life will have a huge impact on us continuing if I'm been honest.
    CRx
    Originally posted by the cross rabbit
    Hi CR,

glad you watched the documentary! yes that particular invention made me chuckle too

I have been a MFW for a long while now, but it's not been continuous. I have had a few breaks away from my diary. We stopped making OP's about 3 years ago so that we could convert a van into a camper van, so all our spare funds went towards that. Once that was done though we started OP'ing again. I find writing in my diary the biggest motivator, it keeps me on track and keeps money saving at the front of my mind. I also like reading others diaries to get new ideas and inspiration.

Try not to see it as a whole iykwim. Make small targets that are achievable and celebrate when you hit them, it makes the long journey more manageable and a bit more fun. When we hit a big milestone we usually celebrate with a bottle of something fizzy
    Mortgage March 2011 143,927.6
    Mortgage Oct 2018 83,688.04
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 4th Oct 18, 2:18 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    When we hit a big milestone we usually celebrate with a bottle of something fizzy
    . Will have to do this and when I have a hangover I'll tell DH you recommended it . However on a serious note I think setting goals and celebrating them are the way forward. I have found having a diary has made me more mindful around spending also.
    CRx
    Mortgage 82,000, due to end July 2036. OP by 50 a month,due to finish Dec 2034 still
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 7th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    Crumpets
    It's gone sooo cold! Apparently there was a frost this morning We've been so tempted to light the wood burner but so far we have resisted It helped that we were out most of yesterday otherwise I'm sure we would have caved in. It looks like the sun is coming out again this week though

We had the fair come to town this weekend, which we promised the children a trip to. They had 10 from the grandparents to spend plus we spent a further 15 - The money really goes no where at all We might have to be somewhere else next year

We've had a nice frugal day at home today, spent most of it in the garden putting away random toys and clearing the veg patches. I also cut the grass and Mr C cut one of the hedges ( only 2 more to go) We did buy a cover for our garden furniture (24.99 from@rgos) but that is needed as I don't want our furniture to deteriorate over the winter. It's been really nice to potter around the garden and I feel like it's been a productive day.

I can't remember if I mentioned it but we had a smart electricity meter fitted a few weeks ago, and according to it we are going over budget every day I need to do some investigating and see what is using so much power
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 8th Oct 18, 5:20 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Well I have had the best day for selling things that I've had in a while. I listed three things on FB this morning and they have all gone! All collections went smoothly, 6 items have left my house and I have 28 in my pot I have also received a bid on fleabay for my relisted item so I'm really pleased I also have 36 payable from TCB. I think I might exchange this for vouchers towards Christmas

As we're now OP'ing the maximum we can, any spare money will go towards Christmas gifts and days out

Other than that I'm feeling a bit bleugh today, I hope I'm not coming down with something, I'm feeling fed up and cold at the moment

I've really been watching the electricity today, and I'm beginning to notice where the energy is going. We have a few Edison Bulb lamps and they seem to use quite a bit, and also the kettle is awful. We have a stove top one and it takes a while to boil so I've had less hot drinks today...maybe that's why I'm tired and cold! I think If I'm going to be in all day I'll fill up the flask with hot water so I don't have to keep boiling the kettle. Hopefully today we will be below budget on the energy monitor

I also need to report that we ate our gnocchi yesterday - it is not an experience I would like to repeat At least we tried to save the mash

*Apologies for mentioning the C word twice today *
    Last edited by Crumpets; 08-10-2018 at 5:51 PM.
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 8th Oct 18, 5:27 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Hi Crumpets congrats on FB sales! Do you have any tips on effective FB selling? Sometimes I can shift stuff pretty quickly to genuine sellers but other times (tbh most of the time) it's the opposite!
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 8th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi Hazelnutty, I think today, I just priced things to sell as I wanted them gone! normally I don't have much luck on FB, so it must have been a fluke

Good luck with your selling!
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 8th Oct 18, 5:50 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Hey, they all count! I'm going to take a good look through the outstanding stuff and have crack. I think saying it needs to be gone probably does help.
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 12th Oct 18, 5:59 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Still no heating on here - I'm tempted to light the wood burner tonight though, not because it's particularly cold - it just cheers theyi house up when it's dark and grey...maybe candles will suffice

We've been trying really hard with the electricity this week and it has been paying off according to the monitor. I have to keep going around behind the kids switching everything off behind them though Teen dd is the worst for leaving lights and computers on

We desperately need to go shopping tomorrow, I'm beginning to really despise meal planning, shopping and cooking. It's relentless and never ending! I think it will be something on toast for dinner tonight (not very exciting for a Friday night but it's cheap and cheerful)

I watched the Stacey Dooley documentary on the fashion industry last night, it was so shocking!! I used to be one of those people that mindlessly went shopping and bought stuff just because I'm so glad I've changed my ways and I will definitely only be buying what is absolutely necessary from now on! I love charity shops and the bay for clothes now Better for the planet and my pocket
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 12th Oct 18, 11:59 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Hi crumpets I watched the same documentary. I wondered whether she will follow through with what's she's learnt and implement it on strictly and other areas of her life or if it was just lip service.
    Mortgage 82,000, due to end July 2036. OP by 50 a month,due to finish Dec 2034 still
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 15th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 11,225 Thanks
    themadvix
    There's nowt wrong with something on toast for tea! It's an excuse to follow up with pud, isn't it?

I didn't see the documentary but did read the article on the BBC news site. I agree cross rabbit - it'd be great to think it had a lasting impact (on her and others). Don't get me started on the politicians who all seem to think reducing meat consumption isn't a matter for politics! Totally agree about things being better for planet and pocket Crumpets - so often pocket, planet and health all align, but yet people still make the wrong decisions!

Hope you had a good weekend!
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 19th Oct 18, 6:47 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Another something on toast dinner tonight MV...scrambled tofu this time. Yum. Pancakes for the kids, as once again our cupboards are bare! I'll have to try and fit shopping in at some point tomorrow. I did make a pumpkin pie today though, using our homegrown pumpkin and store cupboard ingredients. I'm looking forward to trying a slice

My large ebay item has finally been collected today Dh also dropped a couple of bags off at the charity shop today. I have a bag for the clothes bank and some things to take to the tip and the house will be in a better state than it is right now

20 in from the eebay sale but then 25 out on a Christmas present for ds...easy come, easy go

Thank goodness it's the weekend! I've felt so tired this week, I even fell asleep yesterday afternoon and was late collecting dd form school fingers crossed for a lie in tomorrow.

I'm currently sitting with the wood burner alight, does this class as heating? If so I've failed the half term challenge It does make the room lovely and cosy though...and there are definitely worse things I could be doing on a Friday night than sitting in front of the fire Dh has gone out so dd1 and I will watch a movie snuggled under a blanket once the little ones are in bed.

Not sure what the weekend holds yet, I'm taking dd1 to see a is Born....I've already seen it once but I loved it so much I'm going again

Happy Friday folks
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 19th Oct 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 10,737 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Happy Friday crumpets! I'm already snuggled under the blanket with one of my cats watching the first episode of the new American horror Story. So rock n roll on a Friday night but blissful!

Oh but no heating on, just blankets and kitty's for warmth
    2018 MFW #20 - OP 3222.90/ 3000 107%
    Aug: 461.02 Sept: 10 Oct: 212.02

Mortgage Oct '16 170.995 LTV 90% end: Nov 2041
    Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 19th Oct 18, 10:05 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Another one snuggled under a blanket watching a film. Better go DH has set off the smoke alarm whilst making me cheese on toast. He thinks just shutting the door will sort it!!!!
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 21st Oct 18, 3:33 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi Kitten and CR I hope you enjoyed your movies on Friday night? We watched Miss Peregrine's home for Peculiar children - it was okay. Last night I took DD1 to the cinema which was nice. I'm enjoying her being older and taking her out to places. Not a cheap trip though - 8 on popcorn, not to mention the tickets I love movies, especially at this time of year.

Other than that its been a quiet weekend, trips to the park yesterday and today, it's been so lovely out. I hope it lasts a while longer. I wish it was our half term this week - it will probably turn really cold next week in time for the holidays.

I managed to get grocery shopping yesterday morning - spent 98 in Mozzers. I took my own tubs and got bacon, sausage and salmon for the children. All those take away tubs are coming in handy I was supposed to make a Pie for dinner, but I'm not sure I've got the energy

I've got two loads of washing on the line today and it's looking good for drying When I had my heated airer on the other day our electricity monitor showed it using way more than it's supposed to. I'm hoping to keep it off for as long as possible now.
    • the cross rabbit
    • By the cross rabbit 21st Oct 18, 4:31 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    the cross rabbit
    Its good to know that Mozzers will let you take in your own tubs for food. We have one of those old fashioned airers that you secure to the ceiling and it goes up and down on a pulley and rope. DH is going to put it up in the garage as we had a skylight put in this year when the garage had to be re-roofed. This will mean keeping the amount of damp in the house to a minimum (hopefully).
    CRx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,282Posts Today

9,133Users online

Martin's Twitter