Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    • 916Posts
    • 2,861Thanks
    Crumpets
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-)
    • 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-) 4th Jun 13 at 2:01 PM
    Hi there,

Long time lurker here, I've been inspired by so many diaries on here that I thought I'd start my own. After just spending an exhausting half hour working out this months Morgage overpayment on the very complicated financial system we have in our house, I thought a diary might help me to organise my thoughts better

A bit about myself, I'm a SAHM to my lovely 3dc and my dh is a self employed web developer, so money can be a bit erratic coming in. We have been overpaying our mortgage a small amount pretty much since we took it out in 2007 with gaps here and there. This year though we have decided to live as frugally as possible (without missing out on fun times with the kids) and throw everything spare at the mortgage. We've done pretty well too so far, but I can feel myself getting complacent so here's where I hope my diary will come in useful

Anyway that's it for now

Crumpets
    Last edited by Crumpets; 04-06-2013 at 8:23 PM.
Page 50
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 2nd May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Busy day today and I have just felt like sleeping since I got home. I'm trying to drink plenty of water to push me through until bed time.

Shopping came this morning and surprisingly we didn't have to reject any swaps! It all came as ordered, therefore the bill remained at 84.

We had the conservatory people out to finish off the repairs so now we can get ready to decorate I'm thinking of a nice dark blue as it's a lovely light room and I think it can carry off a dark colour

Mortgage OP is still not showing on the balance which is very frustrating, the regular direct debit shows straight away but Op's seem to take at least three days

HM pizza for dinner tonight, with enough left over for dd's lunchbox tomorrow

No other MS things report today, small or large sadly
    Mortgage March 2011 143,927.6
    Mortgage Aug 2018 86,030.76
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 3rd May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    wohoo new mortgage total is 88,571.55

I'm off to the opticians this morning, I still like the frames I have so I'm hoping to just get them re-glazed rather than spend money on new ones. I do need prescription sunglasses though so I shall be spending on those. Hopefully not too much though

My friend has cancelled our brunch meet up this morning so that's another 15 I won't be spending today. Shame not to see my friend but I'm quite happy to not spend the money
    1897.98/2000
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 3rd May 18, 12:54 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 13,893 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Yay to the new mortgage total!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 41//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction 44,136.86
    Aug 2009: 163,051 // Current: 91,863.15 // Avg Daily Interest 4.13
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 80.74% of 41,000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 5th May 18, 7:14 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Thank you Jimmy, I must pop into your diary!

What a beautiful day! complete opposite to last weekend when we were sleeping in a tent!!

Dh and I have spent all day in the garden today, we've worked so hard getting our decking sorted and there is still a long way to go I think my plucked out of the air budget was a little on the optimistic side as we've already spent over 60 on stain stripper and a wire brush. My arms should be super toned after all the scrubbing I've done today We've been very fortunate in that our neighbour has kindly given us some new decking boards to replace some damaged ones saving us a fair few pounds We will get him some local cider as a thank you

So it looks like tomorrow will be more of the same, we also have my parents coming round so we will probably do a barbecue lunch. I will need to get some meat and salad for this. Hopefully they'll lend a hand with the DIY whilst they're here

Hope everyone is enjoying the sun
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 9th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Morning,

Work on the decking is still ongoing, but it looks like my 75 budget is not too far off being correct I returned 32 of stuff to the DIY shop yesterday and exchanged it for some decking stain, first coat was done last night and I'm about to start on the second coat this morning. I'll be so glad when it's done! Next job is to put up a small fence

Some selling has also happened this week! The awning finally sold, we lost a fair bit of money on it sadly, but at least it's gone. I also sold my sewing machine so that is awaiting collection. My mum and dad also gave me a small amount of money for doing some ebaying for them, so with that and the sewing machine money I made a 64 OP yesterday I'm going to sort out my fabric today and freecycle it. I don't need it anymore and it's cluttering the house so hopefully someone can get some use out of it.

I've also sorted out some outgrown clothes to pass onto friends, unfortunately I don't have a stash of clothes for ds up in the loft so I'm going to have to get him some new shorts and pyjamas for the summer. I'm looking on ebay but not having much luck

I need to pay for the children's swimming lessons today, I also desperately need to go food shopping but I have a poorly little boy at home today so shopping will have to wait.
    1897.98/2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 9th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,085 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hope DS is feeling better soon!

Decking sounds great - albeit hard work! It'll be worth it once it's done though.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 17th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Crumbs it's been ages since I managed to update here! I kept thinking of things to write and then not finding time to sit down and do it!

So bad news first...I just had to pay a parking fine of 40 This was from when I went to the opticians, and I was just over the hour I'd put on the car park. Added to the cost of my new specs this makes for a very expensive day

The decking is now all stained and looking good, we've ordered some rattan furniture to go on it from group0n - went through TCB so should receive 50 back which will be a nice OP. We still have a fence to build, we have the wood so we just need to find some time whilst the weather continues to be nice!

I have a couple of things to put on the bay and I have a few things on freecycle (will this ever not be the case!) It does feel like we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel though

A friend has just messaged to see if we want to go on a picnic tonight, so today's meal can be put on hold and I'll see what I can rustle up. Luckily dh did the shopping yesterday so the cupboards and fridge are well stocked
    1897.98/2000
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 17th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • 2,782 Posts
    • 13,893 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    ouch on the parking fine. we always seem to these little blips that slow/undo our progress too! As for de cluttering i know exactly how you feel. It really is an endless cycle!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 41//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction 44,136.86
    Aug 2009: 163,051 // Current: 91,863.15 // Avg Daily Interest 4.13
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 80.74% of 41,000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 17th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 11,085 Thanks
    themadvix
    So annoying about the parking - as SJ says, there's always a blip - for us it's usually a vet visit!

Decluttering is constant (I'm like you know, amazed that there can be any left when it feels like everything no nailed down has been freecycled.... My mum asks where I find stuff to freecycle!). I'm waiting to do a boot sale at the end of the month and I'm so fed up of having the stuff around. Lots of it will go straight to charity if it hasn't sold. I've had enough!

Garden sounds like it's coming along nicely
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 3085
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 18th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Yes the parking fine is definitely a little set back but hey ho. Actually I think it might be the first one I've ever received, so in 20 years of driving that's not too bad

I have a big box of stuff to go to a carboot sale too MV, I hate doing them but it's a necessary evil. We might try a midweek sale so we can do it without the children buying back everything we try and sell I'm not sure how busy the midweek ones get though?

Someone should be coming to collect something from freecycle this morning, it probably would have sold at a boot sale but its quite large so I'm happy to see it go. I must list 2 items on the bay today as I didn't get round to it yesterday.

We bought a new bike for dd2 yesterday from fb - 25 and it's in excellent condition. She's always had dd1's hand me down bikes before and the one she's been riding is so heavy and rusty, it was a much needed purchase and a bargain too

I need to bake a cake today for the school PTA, and then I'll have to buy a slice of it back later I'm thinking lemon drizzle as I have all the ingredients in. More work to do in the garden today as I bought some plants for my pots yesterday. I also need to tie up my pea plants as they are being very lazy and keep lying down

I had a bit of a surprise yesterday when I checked the bank...the expenses dh had put in for had been paid but instead of 73.50 they had paid us 735 sadly we have to pay it back

Enjoy the sun folks
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 18th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Quick update to say
    • Pizza dough is proving for dinner
    • lemon drizzle cake is cooling
    • vegan halloumi is setting
    • Pots are all planted up
    I'm now having a well deserved cuppa
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 21st May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Well we have had a lovely and pretty frugal weekend. Saturday we had a family barbecue and we got to see out squishy little niece. We made some veggie stuff to take to this and I also made a vegan Victoria sponge (Jamie Oliver recipe) for the first time...it was bloomin delicious. I've had to send dh off to work with the last slice to stop me from eating it

We also bought a (new to him) bike for ds, again 25 from the land of FB. I'm really pleased that for 50 they both have great bikes that should certainly keep them going a couple of years I'm going to put their old ones on freecycle, as with a bit of tlc from someone who knows what they're doing, they should be ok.

I've finally won some shorts on the bay for ds so everyone has enough clothes to last them the summer now hoorah!

Yesterday was spent building a fence it looks really good, just a little bit more to go and then I will be able to stain it. Our new furniture is being delivered on Wednesday so it would be amazing to have it finished for then We then had an impromptu barbecue at a friends house, we were both pretty low on food but it's amazing what you can cobble together when you think about it it was a lovely way to finish off the weekend

Unfortunately I think I may have used some of the food that was designated for meals until shopping day so we might have to be a little imaginative with our meals for a few days

I really need to pay attention to the house today as it has been neglected for a while. I also want to mow the lawn as it looks like we're due some rain this afternoon. My veggies will certainly appreciate that!

Right housework awaits
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 23rd May 18, 1:22 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Well the rain didn't materialise the other day so the veggies are still desperate for a proper drink of water. I don't think watering with the hose pipe has the same effect, and with today's news of future water shortages I feel bad using it

The fence is now complete and has had two coats of paint I managed to only use half a tin that we already had so the new tin we bought can be returned. Unless I decide it needs a third coat The new rattan furniture has arrived so hopefully dh and I can construct it this evening. I really hope I like it, you never can tell with these groupon purchases

I went out for an end of term breakfast with some friends this morning - 9 spent using cash from my purse. It wise nice to get out of the house and be me for a while

We've managed to eek out the shopping Helped partly by being invited to several barbecues I might have to do a late night shop tonight though. We may be going camping at the weekend (depending on the weather) so will get supplies for that just in case

Not much else to report, I've ran out of steam for decluttering and selling. Will have the week off from it next week and then get back into once half term is over.
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 25th May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    I think I've broken the weather - Ever since we've got the garden nice and our lovely furniture to sit on it has rained!

At least the rain made the decision about going camping easy - we are definitely not going in this weather I'm in a bit of a quandary now though. Some friends are going to a local festival for the day tomorrow and we're unsure about going. Basically it will be a 200 day out, factoring in ticket prices, kids rides and a few drinks etc I really don't want to spend that on a day out, at the same time it will be fun and nice to spend time with friends. Argh what to do?

I finally went grocery shopping last night. I made the fatal error of not going with a list or of making a meal plan for the week. So the cupboards and fridge are stocked up, but i'm not sure if any of it goes together to make any meals

I have spent the morning scrubbing a church pew We bought it when we had our new kitchen a few years ago and used it as seating at the table. However we've fallen out of love with it as it's too big really. I'm cleaning it up ready to sell and it is a completely different colour under the decades of grime that it came with Can't believe we've lived with it in that state all this time! hopefully it will get a decent price once it's spruced up

My other job for the day is to clear a space in the utility cupboard room for all the cushions from the new outdoor furniture. It's a really tiny room and stuff just gets dumped in there so I'm really not looking forward to getting started on that. Coffee and a browse on here first I think
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 30th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Half term activities are keeping me busy and away from posting on here! I have a few minutes to spare now though as dh has taken the little ones swimming

Head won over heart at the weekend. We didn't go to the music festival, instead we went to a campervan festival which was a much more reasonable 5 to get in We did buy a few bits for the van whilst there but we have a separate fund for that

Half term hasn't been too spendy so far, trampolining yesterday which was 9 for them both as I had a 'one free' voucher. Swimming should cost less than 10 too. Dd1 and I have spent a couple of hours wandering round a nearby town so she could take some photographs - we did stop in a cafe though for a cuppa and a cake though.

Tomorrow we are off to Manchester for the day, DH has a meeting there so I thought we could hitch a lift and do a bit of sight seeing. Not sure what there is to see as it's been years since I last went. There is a sightseeing bus tour so I think we'll do that plus go to the museums. I'll take some clubcard vouchers for our evening meal before we head home. I'm hoping it will be a pretty frugal day out

I've requested a 12 pay out from TCB which will be used for an extra OP before the end of the month hopefully. I'm looking forward to the mortgage going out on Friday

The dishwasher seems to be playing up we keep getting an error code and it doesn't seem to be drying so i think we might have to get someone to look at it hope it's nothing too expensive. In the mean time I've got all the bits out and cleaned them, filled up the salt and it's currently on a hot wash with some bicarb thrown in. So I'll see if that has any effect first

Dinner tonight will be left overs of some description, I might also need to make a few snacks to take for our journey tomorrow. I will have to see what I can rustle up
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 30th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Just a quick update from my previous post, After speaking with a dishwasher repair man it seems that its not financially viable to repair the dishwasher So a new one has been ordered which will be delivered on Sunday. We went through TCB so hopefully that will track. I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end of our appliances as they were all bought at the same time!

Just ordered 50 of Zizzi vouchers from CC for tomorrow nights dinner...their vegan pizzas are delicious
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 3rd Jun 18, 9:00 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Well that was a busy weekend, we spent a fair amount too. We went out on Friday night for a friends birthday and treated ourselves to an air bnb for the night it's a very rare occurrence so I feel we can indulge every now and again. It saved on taxi fares anyway

Our trip to Manchester was fairly successful, we all enjoyed the open top bus tour which at 25 for the family felt like good value for money. We also made the most of the free activities on at the museums too CC vouchers were used for dinner but as we had some problems with the children's meals they didn't charge us for them. This meant that we had 20 left to put towards our meal out on Friday (same meal two nights out in a row...in different locations )

Today we went to a birthday barbecue, I've had to spend quite a lot on gifts this weekend - 4 children's gifts and 1 adults it's a good job we have a present fund!!

The new dishwasher was delivered this morning Free delivery if we had it delivered on a Sunday, saving 20. Dh also installed it himself which saved a whopping 90!! All seems to be working well so far, so fingers crossed this last us a good few years now. Cashback on it is also tracking

Back to school tomorrow I think all the clubs and activities are paid up until the summer holiday so hopefully there will be no surprises. I miss them when they go back to school but I will be glad to get the house tidied and the cupboards stocked again.

I've also sold a few things on the bay over the weekend so I will package them up and send them off tomorrow.
    1897.98/2000
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 3rd Jun 18, 9:14 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    julicorn
    Quick update to say
    • vegan halloumi is setting
    I'm now having a well deserved cuppa
    Originally posted by Crumpets
    I know this was a little while back, but i onpy just noticed this! Do you mean you made vegan halloumi? How did it turn out?
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jun 18, 10:23 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi Julicorn, yes I made the vegan halloumi, a friend bought us a vegan cheese kit It was ok, it didn't taste much like halloumi but it was quite nice, definitely tasted cheesey. I'd make it again, let me know if you'd like the recipe
    1897.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jun 18, 10:42 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Back to school tomorrow I think all the clubs and activities are paid up until the summer holiday so hopefully there will be no surprises. I miss them when they go back to school but I will be glad to get the house tidied and the cupboards stocked again.
    Originally posted by Crumpets
    Well I was wrong about the activities being paid up for the term. I've had an email for 48 for piano lessons and 24 Beavers subs

I've just checked the mortgage and all looking good, one part of my mortgage is only 47.07 from being under 40k so my mini goal for this month will be to OP by that much extra. I've just sent off a 12.25 OP from TCB so just 34.82 left to find

I've got two online grocery orders being delivered tonight, one from 1celand and one M0rrisons. Hopefully that will keep us going for well over a week. I've just had a message from school though to say I hadn't booked ds's school dinners for the week so that's a week of extra packed lunches I now need to cater for

I'm still waiting for a couple of eb@y items to be paid for so I can post them off. I need to see what else I can find to sell...
    1897.98/2000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,921Users online

Martin's Twitter