Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    • 883Posts
    • 2,772Thanks
    Crumpets
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-)
    • 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-) 4th Jun 13 at 2:01 PM
    Hi there,

Long time lurker here, I've been inspired by so many diaries on here that I thought I'd start my own. After just spending an exhausting half hour working out this months Morgage overpayment on the very complicated financial system we have in our house, I thought a diary might help me to organise my thoughts better

A bit about myself, I'm a SAHM to my lovely 3dc and my dh is a self employed web developer, so money can be a bit erratic coming in. We have been overpaying our mortgage a small amount pretty much since we took it out in 2007 with gaps here and there. This year though we have decided to live as frugally as possible (without missing out on fun times with the kids) and throw everything spare at the mortgage. We've done pretty well too so far, but I can feel myself getting complacent so here's where I hope my diary will come in useful

Anyway that's it for now

Crumpets
    Last edited by Crumpets; 04-06-2013 at 8:23 PM.
Page 49
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 9,729 Thanks
    themadvix
    Sounds like you've been enjoying life over the past few days!

Did you definitely only have a 2-year guarantee on your Dyson? I thought they came as 5 year standard. Did you ring them? I only ask because I thought ours was a 2-year (the bit of paper that came with it said two-year), but when I rang them it was still covered under the 5-year guarantee which the man said was standard. And therefore the serviceable parts would be free.... Might be worth investigating if your ebay seller accepts returns.
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 18th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi MV, Thanks for the tip about the Dyson! will check it out

The sun is out again, hooray I have two loads of laundry on the line drying, I could do with another washing line so I can get more out I have loads of jobs to do today as it's my first day in the house this week. I think I might need a list...

washing on the line Done
    Small supermarket shop Spent£60
    College work
    Clean the car Inside and out
    Plant flowers in window boxes
    Pay cheques into bank
    Drop bags off at charity shops
    Cancel Fridays milk delivery - still got loads!

That's probably enough for now , it's too nice to be inside doing work but it has to be done unfortunately I did manage a run this morning so I've already had some fresh air. We have lambs on our lane and it's so nice seeing them frolicking around. I will hopefully get another walk in later to see them

Decluttering is continuing - one ebay item collected yesterday, some craft things donated to the local pre school and some paint donated to dd1's HE group. Hopefully something else is being collected from freecycle this evening Why does my house still look so full!

I think I'm going to the cinema tonight - no vouchers to be used as it's a local independent one, it's expensive but a lovely treat. I'll drive and take a water bottle with me.
    Last edited by Crumpets; 18-04-2018 at 2:41 PM.
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage May 2018 £88,571.55
    £1759.35/£2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 22nd Apr 18, 8:55 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Not much to report in the way of money saving...feel like I've lost my mojo slightly. I have things listed for sale but they're not shifting, I think I might have to reduce the price. The house feels more cluttered than ever as everything is in flux. Feeling a bit down about it to be honest. I guess getting things out of the house is more important than getting top price for it. I did manage to take two large bags to the charity shop yesterday, and passed on a bag of outgrown clothes to a friend - I need to focus on the little wins

As the weather is continuing to be nice we might get one of our tents up in the garden and clean it ready to sell. We are trialing a new awning next weekend so need to get rid of old tents to make room and make cash to put towards a new one. We have two to get rid of

to help me feel like I am actually achieving something I'm going to list my small wins daily. Hopefully that will make me feel more positive about where we are in our journey.

Weekend small wins

1 ebay item finally collected - sold the item in March!
    2 bags to charity shop
    Out grown clothes passed on
    Ds to make a birthday card for friends party

That's it for now
    £1759.35/£2000
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 22nd Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 13,434 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    Not only focus on the small wins, but celebrate them and reward yourself! The problem with decluttering is it can be exhausting when you're in the middle of it.
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2025... 38//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £40,984.38
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £95,015.63 // Avg Daily Interest £4.27
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 74.24% of £41,000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 22nd Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Thanks for that Jimmy - you're right, all these small steps need celebrating, and it is exhausting so looking after ourselves is important. I'm just rewarding myself with a nice cup of tea and an early night

A slightly more positive post than this mornings I really pushed myself to be proactive today and not mope about and I'm really glad I did.
    • We got a tent up in the garden and it is now listed on the bay - 2 watchers so far (1 more tent in the shed but I'm not sure what condition it's in. We haven't used it for about 5 years )
    • I've accepted an offer on a large piece of furniture from the Swedish shop - £75 to the OP pot I can't wait to rearrange the furniture once this has gone
    • Took the kids and dog to the park with some tennis rackets and had a good run around. It made me feel so much better.
    • Sewed dd2's Brownie badges on - one less thing cluttering up the kitchen
    • Made pizza for dinner, dh and I had a lovely Mediterranean style one using up olives, peppers and sun dried tomatoes
    So no more moping - I feel my mojo is coming back
    Last edited by Crumpets; 22-04-2018 at 9:06 PM.
    £1759.35/£2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 23rd Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 9,729 Thanks
    themadvix
    Glad to hear mojo is returning! The lack of boot sale due to weather and busy-ness here has had a similar effect here - it's so annoying when the house is full of stuff due to go! (I can't complain really, most of it is in Mum's spare room!).

You should teach DD to sew her own Brownie badges
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 23rd Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Ha ha, I like your suggestion of dd sewing her own badges on - i think it would be more trouble than it's worth! i can imagine the tears and frustration now (that's how I feel when I have to do them )

Shopping day today and due to my stocking up of the freezer it was quite a reasonable spend - £80ish. A very kind man gave me his parking ticket in the car park as well so that saved me £1 too

I also got a bit of admin done in town whilst I was there too - paid some cash and cheques into the bank Hopefully I'll have £100 to OP on Wednesday when the furniture has been collected It feels like I haven't made an OP for ages! I can't believe it's May next week! I can't remember if I mentioned it but we have increased our regular OP from £150 to £500 so I can't wait to see the new balance

Boot camp tonight and dd1 came with me for the first time so it cost me £6 for us both - still pretty cheap for an exercise class so I can't complain

I've just discovered that my favourite band are coming to a city near me and tickets go on sale next month - I will have to find the money for the tickets from somewhere

Time to catch up on my Monday night quizzes - Only connect and University challenge (I'm happy if i manage to answer at least one question correctly )
    £1759.35/£2000
    • CathT
    • By CathT 24th Apr 18, 6:59 AM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 38,671 Thanks
    CathT
    That is an impressive regular OP. The months will be flying off the end date!
    May 2018 -
    part 1 - £77,906
    part 2 - £45,391
    Total - £123,297
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 24th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi CathT, yeah I'm really pleased that we can allocate that much for now. It won't be forever but it's a 'for now' op amount
    £1759.35/£2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 24th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 9,729 Thanks
    themadvix
    Haha, yes, I wasn't entirely serious about badge sewing.... I know it's the theory, but the reality is different.... I shudder when the other leader suggests sewing at Brownies.... all those endless 'can you thread my needle' moments!

Re quizzes... I like to get a couple on Uni Challenge, but Only Connect just bamboozles me... the only time I ever got one was when it related to a scene in Love Actually - very high brow!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 25th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    We do occasionally get something correct on only connect - I feel so smug when I do The finals are particularly difficult though!

Well I'm pleased to say that I have just made an OP of £103.18 This is made up of money from selling things and a cheque for closing an old bank account. I've received a message about another item I'm selling too so hopefully that will be another item gone and £5 in my pocket (I'll use this to pay for dd's movie night ticket though)

I'm so pleased that we got rid of our large item of furniture! We have so much more space now, I'm really getting into this minimalism lark We have another large item (an old church pew) to fix up and sell next

I have an unexpected day to myself to day so I'm making the most of it and getting some coursework done - I will finish the course this year if it's the last thing I do!!
    £1759.35/£2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 26th Apr 18, 12:42 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    The item I hoped to sell yesterday didn't go, the trouble with living rurally is that people don't want to venture out of the towns to collect things It can come to the car boot sale when when we get round to doing one.

It's a lovely bright day today so I have two loads of washing drying on the line today I had to have the clothes horse up yesterday due to the rain which I hate!

I went for a run this morning and dd said she wanted to come with me! < surprised face So we started the couch to 5k programme. It's great that she wants to get fit, I try to set a good example to them with exercise and eating healthy so it's lovely dd wants to join me Lets hope she keeps it up

I've had lots of requests for money for the kids school and clubs, so I've had to shell out £40 for transport for the school to take them swimming , £15 for a Brownies trip, £5 each for a school movie night plus I still have to pay the termly fee of £25 per child for school activities It really adds up!

I have loads of mushrooms to use up so DH and I will probably have risotto or a creamy mushroom pasta for dinner, last night dh worked late so I had a random selection of leftovers for my dinner - tofu curry, potato wedges and garlic bread not sure they all went together but it filled me up

Off to take dd to her violin lesson this afternoon then I need to get some compost as my veg plants all need transferring into bigger pots. The're all looking really good, I just hope the slugs and caterpillars don't get them
    Last edited by Crumpets; 27-04-2018 at 3:52 PM.
    £1759.35/£2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 28th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Another spendy day yesterday paying for dd's sporting activities, hopefully that will take us up to the summer holidays though. It all comes out of the education fund so it's covered by that.

We had a lovely evening meal at a friends house last night so that has saved us a meal which can be carried over to next week, we even got sent home with some left overs It was a really lovely impromptu evening with lovely friends

This morning the children asked to get some old toys out of the loft and they have been playing really nicely all morning. It feels like they have new toys but without me having to buy any I need to find something to go up in the loft now to avoid having too may toys out at once.

This afternoon we are off camping for the night in the rain. I don't know how much this is going to cost as we are trialling an awning for the camper. The company have booked us into a campsite so all we need to do is turn up! Hopefully we'll have a nice time despite the weather. there are currently 13 watchers on our old awning - no bids yet. It ends tomorrow so I really hope it sells!

I managed to get some gardening done on Thursday, I planted strawberry plants and transferred the corn, cauliflower and sweet peas into bigger pots. I still need to move the pumpkins and peas and plant some carrot and radish seeds. I'm really pleased with how things are going so far
    £1759.35/£2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 29th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 9,729 Thanks
    themadvix
    Sounds like you're having a lovely weekend! Amazing that you're getting to test the awning with a free night away - very MSE!

Gardening sounds good. I'd intended to do some here today, but it's so cold and damp I've retreated to housework instead!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 30th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Morning,

It was great to try the awning out, we've bought two in the past and not got on with them (very un-MSE ) so to be able to try before we buy was perfect for us. As it turned out we loved the awning so will be purchasing it, but hopefully this will last us for many, many years to come. The weekend itself turned out to be not very frugal, It was so cold that despite taking things to cook for dinner we didn't fancy sitting in the tent all evening so we went to the pub. Then in the morning we ran out of gas so I couldn't cook any breakfast either! Breakfast at 'spoons' for 5 people soon adds up

Unfortunately our old awning didn't sell despite having 18 watchers! it's relisted so fingers crossed for a sale this week. We'll have to look at reducing the price if it doesn't go.

So the purse strings need to be tightened for this week, at the moment we don't have anything planned for the bank holiday weekend so hopefully things will all balance out.

I've got two loads of washing on the line today, I'm not very optimistic about it all drying as its cold and grey again! I hope the glorious weather we had last week wasn't it for the year!

DH had to go to London at an ungodly hour this morning - He should be able to claim expenses though, he also has an expenses claim to put in for a few weeks ago...I need to get him to do that, he's not great at doing these things in a timely manner!

Mortgage goes out tomorrow along with our new OP amount Looking forward to seeing the new total
    £1759.35/£2000
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 30th Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 4,223 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    Funnily enough we have the same situation here ref the expenses. I don't understand why they aren't keen to have the cash back?!

Mortgage- £417,249
    BTL- £162,915

• Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 1st May 18, 6:59 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Funnily enough we have the same situation here ref the expenses. I don't understand why they aren't keen to have the cash back?!
    Originally posted by FloppyDisk
    Thanks for popping in FloppyDisk. I know! It would be the first thing I did if it was me

To be fair to dh he did put yesterdays expenses in straight away, he just needs a gentle reminder to do the other one
    £1759.35/£2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 1st May 18, 7:36 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    May today! Mortgage has gone out but it always takes a few days for the OP to show so I'll update the new total when it does. I'm feeling a bit unsure about OP'ing so much at the moment, we have so many house jobs that need doing, and I feel like I'm juggling with one too many balls at the moment. We'll see how it goes though, We have a list of jobs that shouldn't cost too much so we'll get on with those first.

This weekend I'm hoping that we'll get the decking cleaned, repaired and stained. That will make a huge difference to the look of the garden and should come in under £75. I managed to mow the grass this evening before the rain came down so that has helped things look a little neater. I'm feeling rather with the dog tonight as I only planted my pumpkin plants in the raised beds yesterday and she has already trampled on them I've made a make shift fence out of some old wood for now but we might need a more permanent solution to stop her getting on them. I also planted my peas out today but they have canes around them so hopefully they're safe!

I had to pop and get a few things from Ald! today ahead of our shopping delivery in the morning. I spent about £20 including some fresh flowers to brighten up the house,. Morris0ns order is at £84 but I think we may end up rejecting some things if they don't have the milk we like. Dh and I like a particular oat milk (barista version) which seems impossible to get hold of at times! nothing else compares to it so I wont be accepting it. I'm thinking about trying to make some myself as we get through so much of it...need to do some research.

I'm stealing MV's list of ms things to keep me n track of the small things

• Found £9 in a bag which paid for dd's ice skating lesson
    • Lunch at mum and dads for dd2 and me
    • Washing dried on the line
    • Dh put in one expenses claim in
    £1759.35/£2000
    • greent
    • By greent 2nd May 18, 12:12 PM
    • 7,011 Posts
    • 71,598 Thanks
    greent
    I don't know what it is about expense claims - my OH didn't claim them for almost a year once..... grrrr (he was lucky they still paid all of them - they were meant to have a 3 month limit)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 2nd May 18, 7:32 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    Crumpets
    I don't know what it is about expense claims - my OH didn't claim them for almost a year once..... grrrr (he was lucky they still paid all of them - they were meant to have a 3 month limit)
    Originally posted by greent
    Oh my goodness! I will never complain about my dh again
    £1759.35/£2000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

5,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin