Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    • 903Posts
    • 2,825Thanks
    Crumpets
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-)
    • 4th Jun 13, 2:01 PM
    The Crumpet family's journey to Mortgage Freedom:-) 4th Jun 13 at 2:01 PM
    Hi there,

Long time lurker here, I've been inspired by so many diaries on here that I thought I'd start my own. After just spending an exhausting half hour working out this months Morgage overpayment on the very complicated financial system we have in our house, I thought a diary might help me to organise my thoughts better

A bit about myself, I'm a SAHM to my lovely 3dc and my dh is a self employed web developer, so money can be a bit erratic coming in. We have been overpaying our mortgage a small amount pretty much since we took it out in 2007 with gaps here and there. This year though we have decided to live as frugally as possible (without missing out on fun times with the kids) and throw everything spare at the mortgage. We've done pretty well too so far, but I can feel myself getting complacent so here's where I hope my diary will come in useful

Anyway that's it for now

Crumpets
    Last edited by Crumpets; 04-06-2013 at 8:23 PM.
Page 48
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 17th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi LGP Wow! well may I be the first to say welcome back Ill be looking forward to catching up on your diary

I'm pleased with how my ebay stuff went today, 48 made if everyone pays up. A large chunk of that has been paid already, just 13 still to receive I've decided against selling dd's smaller violin as dd2 might like to learn to play it. She's quite musical already having piano and ukelele lessons so it's quite likely she will want to learn in a year or so.

We have surpassed my paperwork goal, having sorted out at least 12 files of out of date paperwork. We've just had a bonfire in the garden to get rid of it all, we burned some wood that has been hanging around. We love having a fire so it was great fun too Still loads more to go through so it will be happening again soon.

list at least 3 items to sell Actually listed 5
    sort out at least 4 folders from the filing cabinet Done way more
    write to any banks and close accounts Done for 3 accounts so far
    Make bread and cakes for lunches
    Make chili in the slow cooker We're having hm pizza instead - dough is proving as I type
    Make the sofa a place to sit instead of a dumping ground Done, and it has been hoovered

I'm really pleased with how productive the day has been, time to slow down a bit now and relax with a glass of wine
    Last edited by Crumpets; 17-03-2018 at 5:16 PM.
    Mortgage March 2011 143,927.6
    Mortgage Aug 2018 86,030.76
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 19th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    More kondoing of paperwork yesterday, in fact we have cleared the whole filing cabinet of unnecessary paper baggage All that remains now are important documents that will fit into a couple of box files. Now I hope to get rid of the big lump of metal that it lived in. So we got to have another bonfire yesterday (in the snow ) and burned some more of the wood that has been living at the bottom of the garden for the past couple of years

Also sold two more items on the bay yesterday, I'm just waiting for one thing to be paid for and one thing to be collected. Everything else got posted this morning Still got 5 things listed but If they don't go this time they can either go to the car boot pile or to the charity shop.

Today it was big shop day I hate it I managed to get it for 90 but I did spend 7 on fruit and milk yesterday. Just about under budget for now We're going to MiL's for dinner tonight though so that's a free meal for us all

Last night DH and I went through our finances...we're still over spending on frivolities and education. DD1 is home educated so I'm always booking her nice activities to do. We have also signed her up for 2 GCSE's which are several hundred pounds each. I need to probably reign in some of the more expensive trips. I've just signed us both up for snowboarding lessons though 10 each for an hour lesson though, which I think is good value for money

So my aims this week are
    • Spend less on frivolities
    • More kondoing and possibly more selling
    • No top up shops

It's DH's birthday tomorrow, he has requested a very reasonable sausage and mash birthday dinner...now that we can stretch to
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 20th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Just paid a 50 OP This was from my ebay profits over the weekend, everyone has paid up so I'm really pleased. Still waiting for the large item to be collected but the buyer has paid and been in touch so I'm pretty sure he's not a time waster. Found another couple of things to sell today so they've gone on FB. Fingers crossed they go

It is dh's birthday today and we decided to make the most of it and go out for lunch. I's a good job birthdays only happen once a year 35 on lunch for 3 (dd came along to chaperone us )

We have the wood burner lit today, it's so cold and I'm feeling pretty fed up with it now, it looks like it's set to be cold for a while longer too At least it has been dry, I put the washing on the line and it has dried, it's just warming in front of the fire now.

We've been having some problems with damp in our conservatory and as it is still under warranty we called them out to take a look. Hopefully they've fixed the problem and they're going to come and sort out the plaster inside which is great...it means I get to re decorate too I need to get pinteresting for inspiration. I want to make it more cosy like a sitting room, we use it all year round as it is open plan from the kitchen. Currently it stores toys and the dining table but I fancy a change around. having the repairs done is the perfect excuse.
    1877.98/2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 22nd Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 10,702 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hey Crumpets! It was very remiss of me not to ask if you had a diary the other day, I do apologise. Have found it now and will be sitting down for a cuppa and catch up (from the beginning - of course ) shortly.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Jul 2018: 91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 22nd Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Oh crumbs, good luck MV, I dread to think what waffle you will encounter

It's been one of those days where I've needed to spend a fair amount of money. The first thing, I booked our holiday for July - A weeks camping down south Secondly the children have several parties to attend over the weekend so I've had to buy three gifts. I also treated myself to a new wicker washing basking - that I guess would be classed as a frivolity

I've received a bid on one of my ebay items, still a couple of days to go but there are very few watchers on the other items. Fingers crossed a couple more things sell. I've just bumped my FB for sale items...I think they will go in the car boot box if they don't go this time. I don't want them hanging around, I might lose my momentum with Kondoing.

DH and I have received a voucher for an Indian cookery course for our birthdays/ wedding anniversary. I cannot wait to give it a try, we both love Indian food but are both hopeless at it. I really hope we learn how to make something nice, it could save us a fortune on take aways

Just a quick easy dinner of veg sausage pasta and hm garlic bread for dinner tonight. We're only just eating now as the kids all have activities today I'm pooped ( as always )

Another busy day tomorrow as dd and I are of to Bath to learn about the Romans - These are the kind of trips I like doing but they are spendy I'll see if I can cobble together a packed lunch and I'll take a flask of tea
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 24th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hello,

It has been such a long and tiring week so far and it'snot over yet. I've decided that I'm having Monday as a weekend day this week

Bath was lovely yesterday, DD fell in love with the place and loved the architecture and history. Visiting the Roman Baths was really interesting too, we both learned something I had already paid our entry to the museum (group discount as we were part of a Home ed group) So spends for the day were 5.40 on parking, 2.35 on DD's lunch (I took a sandwich) and 6 on starbucks So all in all not an unreasonable price for a lovely day out.

We also had the little ones school production - 25 on tickets plus 2 on raffle tickets. I almost spent more as I wanted a glass of wine at the bar but they didn't take card so I saved myself 3.50 It was a lovely show though.

This morning I went for a run - free exercise and then had a lovely soak in the bath whilst dh has taken the little ones to their swimming lesson. I feel much better now I've had a bit of me time. Two items have sold on ebay- 17.50 before fees. I have 3 things that have been relisted so hopefully they will go next time. One has been paid for already so I'll package it up this afternoon. I also need to take a gift back to argos. I bought it for DS's friend but thinking about I think it's too old for him so I'll return it and get something else.

Jobs for this afternoon are :
    • Package ebay parcel ready for posting
    • return gift to argos
    • Buy new gift and wrap
    • Wrap God daughters gift for her party tomorrow and get the kids to make a card
    • Buy some fruit and veg
    • make pizza dough for tonights dinner
    • Do some housework - I live in a pigsty
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 24th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Quick update to say I have received a cheque for 3.14 after closing a bank account last week - every little helps as they say
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 25th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    What a gorgeous day! and so nice to have an extra hour to spend in the sun, we certainly made the most of it.

It's been a busy day, one I've been dreading all week as everyone had to be somewhere different at the same time. DD1 went to an audition for the local youth theatre group, dd2 had a party to attend and ds had his karate grading. It was hectic! The party and audition were both very low spend, just a few pounds on a cup of tea but the karate grading cost 35!

This afternoon we've spent a productive couple of hours in the garden, I got rid of a bin bag full of rubbish, where does it come from?! We also chopped down a huge branch that was hanging over our garden from next doors tree. Unfortunately it was very popular with pigeons who like to leave enormous deposits on the swings and slide We've also hung some cds from the remaining branches to keep the little blighters away

I have a large list of jobs that need doing to get the garden in a fit state for the spring and summer. We neglected it a bit last year so there is lots to do this year. From being out there today I have noticed that we need to
    • clean and stain decking
    • stain wooden play equipment
    • top up the bark and sand in play area
    • weed and seed the grass
    • weed veg patches and and get growing
    • prune shrubs
    • get some bedding plants
    • buy new garden seating

That seems like a lot!

Dinner tonight is a veggie chicken and vegetable pie that I've made using up odds and ends from the freezer. It looks delicious, cant wait to eat it The freezer is pretty bare now so I've just ordered an Iceland delivery. I've never ordered from them before, I went through TCB and spent enough to get free delivery so hopefully that will fill the freezer.

Happy sunny Sunday folks
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 27th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Morning,

I feel like I've burnt myself out a bit so I'm trying to take it a bit slower this week. I don't know why but I feel that the clocks changing at the weekend has really affected me Hopefully normal service will resume shortly

It was another lovely sunny day yesterday so I pottered in the garden, I managed to rake over half the lawn and scatter some weed and seed over it. It rained overnight so hopefully it's getting to work. I also swept up some leaves and had a general tidy so it's a step in the right direction.

I'm going to visit my parents today and they have brought me a mini wooden framed greenhouse for my birthday I cant wait to get it set up and start some seeds off.

DH and I have received a small lump sum of money today, so I'm hoping we can make a fairly large OP from it. Some will be saved for a holiday next year and some will be put towards the new garage. It's quite exciting

Other MFW things - We have a few watchers and 1 bid on the remaining ebay items and I've decided I'm going to sell my spare vacuum as I rarely use it and it takes up valuable space. I've just given it a clean so will list it on FB later.

The dd's want to go ice skating tonight so it will be a quick and easy tea, probably baked potatoes.
    1877.98/2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 27th Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 10,702 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hey Crumpets, I'm still reading your diary from the beginning but thought I should keep up with the present too

Re Indian cookery - DH and I love Jamie Oliver's recipes from his Ministry of Food book. They're pretty simple if you use the Pataks jars he recommends, but nothing beats the flavour of the freshly ground spices if you feel so inclined

The green house sounds lovely - very pretty

Hope this week is a bit calmer for you.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 28th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Hi Madvix, well done for continuing reading the diary, sometimes I feel should read it back but I think it might be too embarrassing Maybe when I'm mortgage free I'll read it I'm really looking forward to putting my greenhouse together, sadly the rain has put paid to that today.

Well I have just made an 800 OP With the 200 I've already OP'd this month I've made the maximum OP I'm allowed. I already have 230 earmarked for next moths OP so I'm feeling rather chuffed new balance should be 90,519.26 so in April we will be in the 80 thousands (which is still scary but amazing at the same time ) We will also be increasing our regular OP from April too, not sure by how much yet.

I have a spare hour now so I'm going to have a quick whizz around the house with a duster and the vacuum and then I'm off to buy Easter eggs before they all sell out.
    1877.98/2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 28th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 10,702 Thanks
    themadvix
    Wow, great OP! Not surprised you're
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • CathT
    • By CathT 28th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 5,665 Posts
    • 39,537 Thanks
    CathT
    Great milestone, sounds like you won!!!8217;t be in the 80!!!8217;s for long.
    August 2018 -
    part 1 - 76,136
    part 2 - 45,033
    Total - 121,170
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 29th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Thanks Madvix and Cath, The new balance is showing on the mortgage, I can't wait for next week now to see it down into the 80's

I have that Friday feeling today as the children break up for two weeks off school today I love it when they're off! life is much simpler and the days are much longer as they don't finish at 3pm!

Not much to report today, I got the Easter eggs - probably spent more than I should though. Also bought the little ones a new book as an Easter gift Ds did write on the chalk board 'I books' this morning so it's money well spent

I have the bed sheets on the line today but it's cold and grey so I doubt they will dry. I also went to the garden centre and bought some raspberry canes and some seeds for when I have my greenhouse up. Hopefully we'll get a nice day next week so I can spend it in the garden.

Got a local Easter fayre this afternoon so we will spend a few on cakes and the tombola I expect. I shall only take 5 and once it's gone it's gone.
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 30th Mar 18, 3:54 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    The bank holiday weekend has not got off to a good start poor dh has come down with a lurgy and he has been in bed all day. So all plans for today have gone out of the window. I really hope he's feeling better for tomorrow as we have a baby sitter sorted and afternoon out planned!

I have however managed to put my new greenhouse together (with the help of the little ones ) and we have planted some pea, sweetcorn, cauliflower and sweet pea seeds as well as some garlic cloves so we have managed to get a little fresh air before the rain came.

I offered to take the dc to the cinema this afternoon to get out of the house but they didn't want to go so that's saved at least 25 We did pop to lidl though to get some supplies and we're going to make some chocolate Easter nests this afternoon so hopefully they've still had a nice day.

I also bought myself some gin and tonic for tonight -it feels like that kind of day
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 7th Apr 18, 12:33 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    My last post mentioned about dh being poorly and us having plans for the Saturday! it turns out the plans we had were actually for the Friday! so we missed out, not only because of dh being ill - but because we had it in the diary as being on the wrong day! - 50 wasted there sadly We still went out as it was for my birthday, it just wasn't what we had planned and paid for. Oh well, some lesson might be learned I guess.

Despite that, we had a great weekend for selling and clearing clutter last week. We made 155 between ebay and FB. I've just made a 350 OP with that money plus what was left over from last month Hopefully there will be more to come before the end of the month

We've just returned form a lovely couple for days down south to visit our niece. 7 weeks old now and so adorable The weather was beautiful so we were able to make the most of being outside, so we didn't spend any money on activities, just meals out. Sadly we left the sun behind and it's back to being rainy here. Unfortunately we had to have a new tyre fitted to the van before we could drive home - 75 we hadn't planned on spending

Good news is that some of the seeds have sprouted whilst we've been away (pea and cauliflower). I've just re potted some spinach plants into a bigger pot and put them in my greenhouse and my mum has some cherry tomatoes, sprouts and lettuce seedlings for me too So garden plans are coming along nicely

Last weekend we ordered a pressure washer from W!ckes as they had an Easter discount, went through TCB too We have a really large decking area which needs a lot of tlc this year so I'm sure its a good investment. Can't wait to give it a good clean, it's actually pretty dangerous as it's so slippy at the moment. That is being delivered on Monday (free delivery if we chose a week day )

Shopping day today, not much in the cupboards due to us being away. We've even ran out of milk I'm desperate for a coffee, so I'd better go
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 9th Apr 18, 11:04 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    The new pressure washer has arrived , I cannot wait to get using it, if only this darn rain would go! The cars might get a wash too whilst we've got the enthusiasm

Yesterday was a productive day, We used the parts from an old bunk bed to make ds his own loft bed. We spent about 15 in the DIY shop on fittings for it but everything else we already had! Dh is so good at putting my hairbrained schemes into practice, he must have the patients of a saint! We also spent 20 on a second hand trofast unit for underneath the bed so operation move the toys upstairs is well underway

DD1 also had a good sort out of her room and came down with loads of stuff for the car boot box - the only trouble is stopping dd2 and ds from claiming her cast offs

I have an eb@y item ending today, no bids but plenty of watchers. I hope it goes as it's a large kitchen appliance that is taking up space. Dh and I watched a great minimalist documentary on Netfl!x the other day, we so want to be free of all the clutter that is dragging us down. We're both motivated and we've made a good start

This months OP is showing, the new mortgage total is 89,561.67
    1877.98/2000
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 10th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    Goodness me it's been a spendy day today! I'd booked in dd1 for an ice skating lesson and decided that as it was the holidays we would all go for a skate. 60 later... In future dd will be sharing her lesson and the rest of us won't be skating so it won't be that much again. It does mean that we need to do free or very cheap activities for the rest of the week though.

Went to visit my parents afterwards so we got fed and watered for free at least

This afternoon I've done a few sewing jobs that I've been putting off. I also used dd's mini sewing machine that she had for Christmas, to run up some bunting for ds. This has spurred me on to sell my sewing machine. Bunting is as good as it gets for my sewing skills so we don't need two in the house! It is now listed on gum tree As is a labeling machine - I buy these things hoping they will turn me into an organised super mum, but all they do is sit in a drawer making me feel guilty that I'm not using them My parents also wanted me to sell something for them, so that is listed...maybe I'll get some commission if it sells
    1877.98/2000
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 11th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 10,702 Thanks
    themadvix
    Ouch for the skating! I've not been since I was a teenager as the boots really hurt my feet... am thinking that it's probably good for the finances not to go now though!

That's brilliant that DD's sewing machine is good enough for proper stuff.
    OPs 2018 = 2090
    Moving savings = 2557
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 15th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Crumpets
    I've been trying to sit down update for a few days now but life seems to keep getting in the way!

Last day of the school holidays today though At least it means a bit more structure to the day so I accomplish a bit more.

Well the last few days of the holiday managed to remain pretty frugal, just 12 spent on swimming and free activities including visiting the library and finally getting out to the park on Friday when it didn't rain

Yesterday was absolutely glorious, it made me feel so much better to sit out in the garden and fee some warmth on my skin. We did a few gardening jobs, mowing the lawn and pruning an enormous rosemary bush! still loads to do but it's a start. We also used our new pressure washer and cleaned the camper We ordered a bespoke accessory for it with our Christmas money and it finally arrived, so we had to give the van a clean before it could go on. It looks super cool now

Last night was rather spendy as we went to the big city to see a band. Drinks, food plus a taxi home for us both added up to quite a lot Also I had a shoe disaster! About an hour into the night the sole fell off one of my favourite shoes I'm a bit gutted but I'd had them a while and they were 2nd hand in the first place. I'm watching some replacements on the bay now Today has been rather unproductive and lazy due to the and the late night. I'm looking forward to an early night!

We've managed to sell another few bits this week, including the item I listed for my parents Lots of interest in the sewing machine but no firm buyer yet. I don't want to reduce the price (as a lot of people have been asking me on FB) it's a bargain anyway. I'm not in any rush so hopefully it will go eventually.

We've had yet another unexpected expense! I've had to order another head for my cordless Dys0n. We've had it just over 2 years so it was no longer under guarantee. Dys0n wanted 60 plus shipping but I found a seller on the bay wanting 50 with free shipping so I saved a small amount at least! Money for this will come from the contingency fund - at least I don't have to buy a new vacuum!

I have had a MFW win today though, I found lots of summer clothes for dd2 up in the loft Sometimes I wonder if it's worth saving dd1's clothes for such a long time (6 years!) but it is lovely when dd2 get's to have a whole new wardrobe for free I will need to get ds and dd1 some new things but at least one child is sorted for this weeks sun!
    1877.98/2000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,775Posts Today

6,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin