Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 3rd Jun 13, 1:22 PM
    • 912Posts
    • 3,161Thanks
    Thistle-down
    O/S help - Janome Sewing Machine Models
    • 3rd Jun 13, 1:22 PM
    O/S help - Janome Sewing Machine Models 3rd Jun 13 at 1:22 PM
    My old Singer has bit the dust. Mum wants to buy me a new sewing machine for my birthday, and we have narrowed it down to these two models: Janome 7025 and 525S.

Is one any better than the other? I will be using it for mending, making curtains, general stuff mainly.

http://www.johnlewis.com/janome-7025-sewing-machine/p231340608#tabinfo-ratings

http://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/Janome525_info.htm

Thank you for any advice!
Page 1
    • parkgirl
    • By parkgirl 3rd Jun 13, 1:28 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    parkgirl
    • 3rd Jun 13, 1:28 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 1:28 PM
    Hi - I've got a Janome sewing machine - different model - 4618LE - and I love it. I use it for making curtains, mending stuff and running up skirts and the like. I really like it and think it's great for what I want it for.

I don't know that I would do any really serious heavy machining on it - I'm thinking very heavy brocades or very heavy furnishing fabrics - I don't think that it would take it but as a general all round machine I think it's absolutely great. Reasonable price, easy to use.
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 3rd Jun 13, 6:28 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    • 3rd Jun 13, 6:28 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 6:28 PM
    Thanks parkgirl, I haven't seen that one for sale.

Anyone else have any recommendations? 250 is my Mum's limit. I'm hoping the new one will see me out.
    Last edited by Thistle-down; 03-06-2013 at 6:32 PM.
    • amiaspden
    • By amiaspden 3rd Jun 13, 7:13 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 2,286 Thanks
    amiaspden
    • 3rd Jun 13, 7:13 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 7:13 PM
    I find it hard to see the difference between the two models, the features seem identical. I think the more expensive one is just, as it says on the website, "re-styled".

They both have a top-loading bobbin, which is important as they are much less likely to jam, a 1-step buttonhole, 24 stitches and a drop-feed facility.

Just did a quick google and it seems that they are identical, but the 7025 is a John Lewis exclusive deal.

I'm sure either will do you very well, and you might as well go for the cheaper one and spend the saving on some accessories!
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 3rd Jun 13, 7:58 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    • 3rd Jun 13, 7:58 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 7:58 PM
    Thank you so much! I think I will go for the John Lewis one. Too bad they don't do codes anymore...
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 3rd Jun 13, 8:10 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    • 3rd Jun 13, 8:10 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 8:10 PM
    Looks like the other one also has "Adjustable Foot Pressure
    Regulates the foot pressure down onto the fabric providing better control"

Is that worth an extra 50?
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 3rd Jun 13, 8:38 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    Willowpop
    • 3rd Jun 13, 8:38 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 8:38 PM
    Hi there,
    My lovely husband bought me a 7025 for my birthday last month.
    As I've only had it a few weeks I can hardly give a thorough review..but I've had a little play and I LOVE it! It's really smooth, quiet, easy to use, and the bits and bobs I've done on it have been great.
    (re the post above's comment about foot pressure adjustment...the 7025 has a dial that lets you change the foot pressure.)
    I would not hesitate to recommend the 7025...and I know my husband got it from John Lewis too.
    Go for it and let us know what you think!
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 3rd Jun 13, 9:06 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    • 3rd Jun 13, 9:06 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 9:06 PM
    Excellent Willowpop, I will definitely be going for the 7025. Mum's money should be in my account on the 7th so will order it then.
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 3rd Jun 13, 9:19 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    Willowpop
    • 3rd Jun 13, 9:19 PM
    • 3rd Jun 13, 9:19 PM
    Hoorah, I don't think you'll regret it. I really love mine already.
    I keep coming up with things that 'need' sewing!
  • gibson123
    For the jobs you mentioned a basic model would do you and then you could spend the rest on other sewing things.

Here is a cheap Janome

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/janome-dmx200-sewing-machine-300551

Then you could use the other 100 to get lots of other sewing goodies like cutting mats, bias tape makers and lots of lovely fabric.
  • jaygoldun
    Hi I work in a sewing machine shop to be honest janomes are ok but nothing amazing if you want something to see you out buy a husqvarna 116 they will sew anything! If I have the money have a look at the passport 2.0 by pfaff they r amazing!!!!
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 4th Jun 13, 4:00 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Thank you kindly - the first one is in Mum's price range!
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 4th Jun 13, 7:03 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I was telling my FIL how excited I was to be getting a new sewing machine, and he told me I could have their old Singer. I vaguely remember it being one of the old treadle models that has been updated with a motor screwed to the body.

In true O/S style, I will see how I get on with it before buying the new one. If I remember correctly it only does a straight stitch, which is not great but certainly would do for the curtains in the kitchen...

kind of a let-down as I was so excited about getting a new one, but if it works, it could well be a blessing.
    Last edited by Thistle-down; 04-06-2013 at 7:08 PM.
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 4th Jun 13, 8:34 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    Willowpop
    Will be fun giving it a try...you might love it!
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 4th Jun 13, 8:47 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Will be fun giving it a try...you might love it!
    Originally posted by Willowpop
    I dunno. Trying to keep an open mind but would not be surprised if I wound up with the new machine.
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 4th Jun 13, 9:15 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    Willowpop
    I dunno. Trying to keep an open mind but would not be surprised if I wound up with the new machine.
    Originally posted by Thistle-down
    Yeah, but you've not lost anything by trying it. SOmetimes the older stuff have such a lovely feel...of course, sometimes they don't but you might get lucky.
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 4th Jun 13, 11:06 PM
    • 8,478 Posts
    • 33,103 Thanks
    ampersand
    Remember the positives to buying anything from John Lewis - customer care and after sales service are worthwhile add-ons you can count on.
    Should there be any problem, you won't be battling uphill under the cosh.
    Enjoy your lovely new machine whatever you choose:-)and have a gorgeous birthday!
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 5th Jun 13, 5:51 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Well it looks like it is just an offer to borrow the old machine, I don't really understand the point as I will have the money for a new one in 2 days. I doubt I'd have a sewing emergency in that time but it was a kind offer.

It does mean the a machine for me, and I am so excited!!!
    • Willowpop
    • By Willowpop 5th Jun 13, 9:15 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    Willowpop
    I'm somewhat excited for you too! Let us know what you end up going for and what you think of it.
    Oh and I'm not sure if you are on quidco or the like but check there for John Lewis...and if they are not there then they are definitely on easyfundraising.org which is normally used by clubs and groups for fundraising as a quidco type site..so if you know of any schools, pta's, brownies etc, they would benefit too if you are buying online.
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 8th Jun 13, 4:47 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I went to place the order and the price has gone from 199 to 219. Still a bargain, I'm sure, but I was a bit miffed. I called to see if they would honour the lower price and they said no. It was worth a try!

The Husqvarna is now only 9 more than the Janome, so I've got some thinkin to do...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

4,399Users online

Martin's Twitter