Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 26
    • Mr Mann
    • By Mr Mann 11th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Mr Mann
    I love having Economy 7. The house is warm all day and so is the hot water.
    I recon it's probably cheaper too when you take everything in to account. No expensive central heating system to have installed, no boiler to replace, no annual servicing required.
    Also there's no gas or carbon monoxide to worry about and no pipes that could freeze. Just make sure your storage heaters are not the old style ones which were poorly insulated so gone cold by evening. It's best to get them sized up for your property professionally. I use two to heat the whole house and run them on input 2.5 and output 1. I'm never cold.
    • Tenant0406
    • By Tenant0406 11th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tenant0406
    New to economy 7 storage heaters
    Hi

Just moved into my first house, I'm on economy 7 pay -as -you go tarrif.
    We have storage heaters in every room with a switch on the wall and an output and input dials. However I just can't figure them out. We seem to be getting through a lot of money very quickly so I have a few questions.

1. Do you leave the wall switch on all the time throughout colder months? Or do you just switch it on at night? If switch is on during day is it using more expensive rates? And does storage heater still give out heat if the wall switch is off?
    2. Do you turn input dial down during the day? Whilst output is turned up?

Water immersion heater - not working for me!
    - do the main water tanks need to be switched on by the wall?
    _do I set the timer to what times during the night I want to heat the water?
    _if I heat water all night using timer will it last the next day?
    _what does boost do?

Please help!!
    • Blondie.28
    • By Blondie.28 28th Dec 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blondie.28
    Economy 7 help
    My dad lives in a small 2 bedroom bungalow on economy 7 with radiators and no storage heaters. He runs his heating at 20C from 7am to 10pm. As a consequence of an extremely high electric bill he is no longer heating any hot water. He does have an oxygen generator that runs 24/7. The tv is on all day and he runs the washing machine/tumble dryer a maximum of 2 times a week. He is currently being charged over £200 a month which seems ridiculous to me? Would he be better switching to a standard tariff or an economy 10 tariff?
    • Flowboy
    • By Flowboy 2nd Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Flowboy
    E7 costs & running storage heaters
    Some basics:
    You should leave the storage heaters switched on at the wall all the time except when you don't need heating - e.g. May to Oct. In the summer, turn 'em off. They only charge at night (automatically at the meter) except *see below. If your storage heaters are working OK they can get very hot to touch (particularly on a high output) setting. If after a full nights charge they are barely warm then they are probably old / worn out / faulty.
    In general the economic way to use them is a low output (say 1 on the dial) only turned up a bit when you're in the room & need a bit more heat. The input setting will depend on the weather. Think of it like a battery charger, the higher input, the more charge, the longer it lasts (& of course the more it costs!) Start at say 4 & see how it feels next day. If too cool, set to 4.5 or 5 or even 6 in very cold weather. If too warm then try 3.5 or 3, or even 2 or 1. Usually when you're happy with the amount of charge & day heat you get then leave the input as-is. Just a tweak is required either way the night before a charge, as the weather changes.
    Sometimes the heaters are too small for the room so you will never get more than a reasonable background heat effect from them & turning to boost will hurt your wallet. They are often fitted in houses with poor insulation (e.g. a lot of UK housing stock) so they struggle to heat the house as a lot goes out of the building. If you can't change this with uprated insulation then it's wooly jumpers & or thermals for you. Yes I know you like to wear a T shirt indoors midwinter but be sensible or be broke...
    *Using daytime Boost setting is expensive;
    If you have your heaters turned up at night to warm your bedroom or other rooms, that is like discharging a battery at the same time as you're trying to charge it! Your bedroom will be very warm (but you're snug under your duvet so the bedroom doesn't need the heat) but the next day the heater won't give out much heat or not for very long.
    Then people are tempted to turn up the boost on the heater in the daytime & as a result are charged more than the normal daytime rate for it = big bills. Usually well over 100% more than the night charge cost & many, many % more than std day costs per KWh.
    This seems to be a common misunderstanding about how E7 works. It charges or runs at cheap night rate anything connected to the E7 meter circuit/s; storage heaters, HW immersion cylinder & any washer / dishwasher. If they are connected to that circuit & you run them in the day it will cost you more than normal electricity.
    Last edited by Flowboy; 02-01-2018 at 5:14 PM. Reason: more info
    • Flowboy
    • By Flowboy 2nd Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Flowboy
    Blondie.28,
    When you say radiators but not storage heaters, is there a gas fired boiler central heating system? If they are Electric panel or oil filled radiators then they will be expensive to run, particularly trying to achieve 20c all day. Possibly night storage heaters would be cheaper to run but only if charged at night. (see my previous post) Plus of course cost of fitting them... Also the programmable ones seem to be very expensive. The standard manual ones are more difficult to get the best from & need more adjusting.

If his hot water is connected to Economy 7 then HW cyl should be set to come on only at night - say after 2am to be safe (suppliers vary when their E7 comes on) The HW should be on a timer - 1 or 2 hrs a night would probably be enough (some might need more or less depending on baths / showers / washing etc) If the HW is not on a timer it will have a thermostat that would switch off the heat when it has reached 60-65 deg. but this is not ideal as it will come back on again when it cools a bit, so is virtually "on all the time". A timer is best. HW cyl. also needs to be well insulated with a cylinder jacket or 2.

If on E7, the wash/drier machine should be run at night also. If run in the day it will cost more. Tumble driers are notoriously expensive to run, better to hang washing outside or in a room (bathroom?) with washing line that can be aired all day. Definitely cheaper to run on E7 but they are a known fire risk, best to have them come on in the last hour or 2 of E7 night rate (before 6 or 7 am.? - depends when supplier switches to day rate.)
    E10 is not as cheap electricity as E7 but you can run some things at certain times of day for extra boost of heat or drier use at the cheaper rate.
    • warmy
    • By warmy 4th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    warmy
    Hi
    Hope someone can help .
    My mum has just moved into 2 bed bungalow with economy 7 .
    She lives there on her own and is the first time she has had economy 7 but she has just got her first bill from British gas and for 35 days usage it totals£270 we were both completely shocked she has used 1463 night units and 318 day units
    Does this sound over the top or is it because we are in winter?
    Could there be something wrong with the storage heaters?
    They are old have been reading the meters daily for about a week and day usage is about 6 units per day and the night is. 44 units
    If anyone has any ideas of how we can reduce this please
    Thanks
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 24,841 Thanks
    jk0
    Hi
    Hope someone can help .
    My mum has just moved into 2 bed bungalow with economy 7 .
    She lives there on her own and is the first time she has had economy 7 but she has just got her first bill from British gas and for 35 days usage it totals£270 we were both completely shocked she has used 1463 night units and 318 day units
    Does this sound over the top or is it because we are in winter?
    Could there be something wrong with the storage heaters?
    They are old have been reading the meters daily for about a week and day usage is about 6 units per day and the night is. 44 units
    If anyone has any ideas of how we can reduce this please
    Thanks
    Originally posted by warmy
    Just winter I'm afraid. My house used 36 night units today and 45 yesterday.

Maybe mum could find a cheaper supplier?
    • warmy
    • By warmy 4th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    warmy
    Thanks jk0 For your reply
    My mum has made the decison to replace the 4 old storage heaters so that should make them efficiant .so will look at changing suppliers and getting the best price per unit
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    • 18,801 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    molerat
    Thanks jk0 For your reply
    My mum has made the decison to replace the 4 old storage heaters so that should make them efficiant .so will look at changing suppliers and getting the best price per unit
    Originally posted by warmy
    Very unlikely that the small energy savings from new storage heaters will come anywhere close to the capital cost of replacing them for many many years but they will look prettier.

And please confirm she is going to fit proper storage heaters and not something with the word "eco" in the name and filled with a magic fairy dust heat storage medium.
    Last edited by molerat; 04-01-2018 at 3:33 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • jk0
    • By jk0 4th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 24,841 Thanks
    jk0
    Wot Molerat said.

More efficient storage heaters are going to be about £700 each, and save a max of 20%. Let's say you save £250 per year?

That's a payback of over 11 years, without even installation costs. However, those new heaters will need repairs by then, that will also cost around £250 per year, so mum will never save anything.
    • Jools17
    • By Jools17 9th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jools17
    Confused about economy 7
    My late husband insisted we have economy 7 but my electricity bills are huge compared to my neighbours and i think this is part of the reason. I think Iím only using 30-35% nighttime electricity compared to daytime but I dont know how to switch to a normal tariff. My contract is up shortly and i want to reduce my bills as im living alone and away a lot and need the money. Last year I used 15010 kWh (Feb 2016-17). Last period 15 Aug - 21 Nov 2017 was 660kWh on nighttime and 660kWh on daytime and I paid £160 including a standing charge of £21.20 on the iVariable tariff with iSupply. Is this good or bad???
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 18,801 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    molerat
    That last bill looks like good use of E7, 50%, especially as a fair part of it was in a warmer part of the year. What is your total split over a year and what is your unit price. Your tariff may be the problem rather than the split.
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 9th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    cbrown372
    Help! Is there such a thing as ecomony 7 any more?

Having dreadful problems with Scottish Power, have a meter that has three readings, All/Day, Night and Control with no gas and night store heaters. Phoned SSE today, can't help because of the meter. Looked at OVO as they came up when googling Economy 7 but haven't phoned as yet.

Just had a confirmed bill from Scottish Power and costs are:
    Day £224.60
    Control £329
    Night £31.55 ??
    three months

Obviously heating is charged on what they call Control but no-one it seems can tell me why?

Tariff ends in January and the best offer is Basic Fixed Tarriff.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
    • jk0
    • By jk0 9th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 24,841 Thanks
    jk0

Having dreadful problems with Scottish Power, have a meter that has three readings, All/Day, Night and Control with no gas and night store heaters. Phoned SSE today, can't help because of the meter. Looked at OVO as they came up when googling Economy 7 but haven't phoned as yet.

Day £224.60
    Control £329
    Night £31.55 ??
    three months

Obviously heating is charged on what they call Control but no-one it seems can tell me why?

Originally posted by cbrown372
    It's an early form of smart metering. They turn on & off your storage heaters according to when energy is plentiful. It ain't cheap though. I think it's now about on par with the cheapest E7 tariffs.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 9th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy

Day £224.60
    Control £329
    Night £31.55 ??
    three months

Originally posted by cbrown372
    Yes, nearly every supplier supports economy 7 tariffs.

But you don't have an economy 7 meter. You have legacy metering & tariff and only your legacy supplier is obligated to support that metering.

Do not attempt to switch supplier with your current metering. Attempts by others with such legacy metering who have tried to switch supplier invariably end up in tears.

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 09-01-2018 at 8:09 PM.
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 9th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    cbrown372
    Yes, nearly every supplier supports economy 7 tariffs.

But you don't have an economy 7 meter. You have legacy metering & tariff and only your legacy supplier is obligated to support that metering.

Do not attempt to switch supplier with your current metering. Attempts by others with such legacy metering who have tried to switch supplier invariably end up in tears.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I complained back in Sept/Oct when they wanted to up my monthly payment to £204, this is for 2 bedrooms, admitedly old and cold terraced cottage! Asked them when they took me off Ecomony7 that as far as I knew I had been on for the past 26 years and why wasn't I told. At that time they changed my tariff to Help Beat Cancer Fixed Price Energy January 2018 and on the calculation of my bill from Dec 2013 they cancelled charges of £4,190, yes £4K!

Today the girl suggested I seemed to be a high user and to read my meter daily for 7 days and give them the readings to check if there was a problem? I'm totally at a loss as to what to do now.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
    • Mookii
    • By Mookii 18th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Mookii
    Hi all,

I live in a house with E7, and some rather dated storage heaters. With the coal power stations being shut down in the coming years, my concern is whether it's worth upgrading my storage heaters, or look for an alternative system.

I live in an area that doesn't gave gas central heating (and probably never will), and a few of my neighbours have oil. I don't have loads of money saved up, and I'd rather get something that's efficient and cost effective.

My concern with coal plants being closed is if that'll mean E7 gets shut down and therefore if I spent a load of money on new storage heaters, I'll have thrown good money away instead of investing it into something that will last me as I have no plans on moving.

I don't want to worry any E7 customers, I may just be barking up the wrong tree, but I have yet to find anything to answer my questions (although I've not been looking for too long). I'm hoping there's someone out there that can help
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 18th Jan 18, 10:24 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    No such thing as "dated storage heaters" Mookii they will be Ī as efficient as brand new ones, ditto upgrading them will not be cost effective. "Coal power stations being shut down in the coming years" will have no bearing on TOU tariffs - a pointless worry about a non-happening event me thinks my friend.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • Cdeeks
    • By Cdeeks 4th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cdeeks
    Am I being mis-sold?
    hi.

This is my first time posting, but Iím in a real state of confusion around my electricity bills and am concerned that Eon May have mis-sold me on my tariff.

Moved into a 2 bed too floor flat. We have storage heaters in every room, immersion heater, full electric house. So, by the general consensus I have seen on this website and others, we should be on the Economy 7 tariff (note. Our meter does split between a day and a night rate already) However! When setting up with Eon, and giving them this information, they said a fixed rate tariff would be the best choice for us.

We recently had the meter replaced as the old one was faulty, and the readings were obviously 00000 for night and day when installed. Then, 11 days later 00074 for day, and 00261 for night. I contacted Eon, who assured me over the phone that we were definitely better off on the fixed rate still. Im assuming this is because our summer usage at night will be so low that it all balances out. But canít help feel those numbers do NOT currently add up.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. My current plan is ride it out and try to manage the amount of energy we are using a bit better through the winter and see what happens up until we are up for renewal. But that is just down to my limited experience in these matters, and probably some naivety.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 18,801 Posts
    • 12,973 Thanks
    molerat
    hi.

This is my first time posting, but I!!!8217;m in a real state of confusion around my electricity bills and am concerned that Eon May have mis-sold me on my tariff.

Moved into a 2 bed too floor flat. We have storage heaters in every room, immersion heater, full electric house. So, by the general consensus I have seen on this website and others, we should be on the Economy 7 tariff (note. Our meter does split between a day and a night rate already) However! When setting up with Eon, and giving them this information, they said a fixed rate tariff would be the best choice for us.

We recently had the meter replaced as the old one was faulty, and the readings were obviously 00000 for night and day when installed. Then, 11 days later 00074 for day, and 00261 for night. I contacted Eon, who assured me over the phone that we were definitely better off on the fixed rate still. Im assuming this is because our summer usage at night will be so low that it all balances out. But can!!!8217;t help feel those numbers do NOT currently add up.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. My current plan is ride it out and try to manage the amount of energy we are using a bit better through the winter and see what happens up until we are up for renewal. But that is just down to my limited experience in these matters, and probably some naivety.
    Originally posted by Cdeeks
    How mis-sold ? Fixed rate refers to the price of the units on the tariff, it will not change over the contract period and is generally cheaper than a variable tariff. If you have storage heating and you use it then E7 is usually the correct tariff to be on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,294Posts Today

7,062Users online

Martin's Twitter