MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    jem16 wrote: »
    Yes - true really.

However my main point to hubb ( although probably didn't make it clear ) is that as he/she is also taking Line Rental with Sky, a new router would be required as the O2 router will not work in this case as far as I'm aware.

No.

There is no "need" for a new router. The o2 router will work fine. In fact it will make the transfer appear seamless, as there is no plugging or unplugging of wires needed.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As far as I'm aware, Sky has 2 networks at present - SMPF and MPF...............

You seem to be confused. Sky does not have two networks, it has two methods of authenticating customers onto the Sky network and as long as the customer is authenticated, it does not matter which of the two methods, PPP or MER is used. For various reasons many Sky customers use their own routers and Sky have stated that this is acceptable.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • janehp
    janehp Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i8change wrote: »
    I was told to expect the paperwork would be like that but that "the discount would be applied, there was a note on the account and not to worry as I had her name and the calls are all recorded."

Think I will write the conversation date down though just in case they did have to trace the recording!

I am switching from O2 to sky and have had a number of calls and 'web chats' with Sky re 2 letters quoting different amounts neither of which were anywhere near the £10 I agreed to for BB and phone.

They were unable to give me written confirmation of the £10 deal but promised it was true and would appear on my bill once the account was activated!

I asked how long I have to cancel if I am not happy, the 2 agents I spoke to were unable to say but thought it was 14 days but not sure if that was from order or activation date.

Activation was today and as yet nothing showing on my account. web chat today says it will take 24 hours for it to show on my account.

Fingers & toes crossed but ready to do battle as all calls documented at the time and screenshots taken of all web chats.
  • roms
    roms Posts: 78 Forumite
    I was on O2 before they sold their broadband and home phone to Sky. I called them and told them I was going to leave and go to EE throught topcashback.

They came back and offered me home phone (free weekends) and unlimited broadband for £10 a month. Sounds good right? Well they then offered me £50 credit. This is a 12month contract which comes to £5.83 a month.:T

On top of that they have offered a similar deal for my parents as long as the bills were in my name. There was an error when they tried to connect and when I called back to put the order through again they said they could honor the £15 a month (£5 for anytime calls) but not the £50 credit. Still not bad.:beer:

Please note that I don't have a Sky dish etc. I fully expect them to ramp up the price at renewal at which point I will look for the best deal at the time.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't expect to get the £50 credit because they promised me and another poster here the same verbally and it doesn't show when the details come through (see my post above)
  • hubb
    espresso wrote: »
    Not sure why you would think that as it is simply not true and hubb is already confused enough!

You couldn't resist another dig could you.:T
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 22 November 2013 at 8:28PM
    espresso wrote: »
    You seem to be confused. Sky does not have two networks,

No I'm not confused.

Sky has shared LLU - ie SMPF and also full LLU - ie MPF networks. The SMPF network is still being used for those who don't want to take their Line rental with Sky. So O2/BE customers who wish to remain with BT (or whoever) for their Line Rental will be put on the SMPF network alongside earlier adopters to Sky's BB who were allowed to have another provider for Line Rental.

New Sky customers have to now take Line Rental as well and will be put on the voice and broadband network - ie MPF. Any O2/BE customer who chooses to take the full service will be put on this network.

https://help.bethere.co.uk/help/support/smpf_mpf
    it has two methods of authenticating customers onto the Sky network and as long as the customer is authenticated, it does not matter which of the two methods, PPP or MER is used.

These are protocols and yes MER is the newer protocol.
    For various reasons many Sky customers use their own routers and Sky have stated that this is acceptable.

Sky have allowed users to have their own router but they certainly at the moment do not support it nor encourage it. Only the most techy customers will use their own router at present.

However you are correct in that the O2 router will work on the Sky network but this has been down to a more recent firmware update. Thank you for confirming this.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    hubb wrote: »
    Don't expect to get the £50 credit because they promised me and another poster here the same verbally and it doesn't show when the details come through (see my post above)

My £75 was credited 2 days later, although I did expect to see it the following day. However it has been done and the letter does not mention it as it is a special offer. I was able to check as I do already have a MySky ID.

No reason to think you won't get it.
  • hubb
    My £75 was credited 2 days later, although I did expect to see it the following day. However it has been done and the letter does not mention it as it is a special offer. I was able to check as I do already have a MySky ID.

No reason to think you won't get it.

Because when I phoned to check they have it down from my last conversation they said it wasn't noted. I am still waiting to hear the result of the phone recording they are going to listen to.
  • enrm6
    enrm6 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Just to update you on the deals I was offered, and the one I took last night.

I was on free O2 BB.

1. BB £5 p/m £20 credit
    2. BB + LL + w/e calls £7.50 p/m £40 credit
    3. Fibre BB + LL + w/e calls £20 p/m +£40 credit + free TV
    4. Fibre BB + LL + anytime calls £25 p/m +£75 credit

Went for #4. Pretty happy with that as my current LL + calls are about £18 a month, deal with Fibre is near the same. So in my mind I'm upgrading from standard BB for free, to Fibre for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure