Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 15th May 13, 11:27 AM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 15th May 13, 11:27 AM
    • 15th May 13, 11:27 AM
    Go to a timber merchants, you'll get a better selection and it will be cheaper.

Just for info 100mm is approximately 4". You can work back the rest of your sizes from that.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • mr-bob
    • 15th May 13, 11:43 AM
    • 15th May 13, 11:43 AM
    Yeah, go to a timber merchants as Kiran says.
  • tallulah31
    • 15th May 13, 12:16 PM
    • 15th May 13, 12:16 PM
    Thanks for the replies

Am I right in thinking the US sizes don't exactly match as the wood shrinks after being cut? Think I read somewhere that the 2x4 is the size prior to drying out/seasoning...after this it shrinks a little...hence the confusion as I can't find any wood 400mm in width (unless I'm looking in the wrong place )

This might be a daft question but can just anyone rock up at a timber merchants or are they trade only?
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 15th May 13, 12:45 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 15th May 13, 12:45 PM
    • 15th May 13, 12:45 PM
    Anyone can buy from a timber merchants but I suggest you do some research first or visit B&Q etc. to see what standard timber sizes are available as from you post I suspect you will get confused by the vast choice available. (no offence)

A very simplistic explanation.....For example 2"x4" (4"x2" in English) is 100mm x 50mm. That is the size it comes from the timber mill and is rough sawn so it looks like a rough old fence post. For you coffee table you want PAR timber which has been run through a machine to smooth off the rough edges so it comes out slightly smaller 95mm x 45mm.

I doubt you will find any 1" x 12" as that size would just warp twist and split, you would have to use engineered timber, smaller pieces glued together in the factory.

Good Luck
  • tallulah31
    • 16th May 13, 8:25 AM
    • 16th May 13, 8:25 AM
    Anyone can buy from a timber merchants but I suggest you do some research first or visit B&Q etc. to see what standard timber sizes are available as from you post I suspect you will get confused by the vast choice available. (no offence)

A very simplistic explanation.....For example 2"x4" (4"x2" in English) is 100mm x 50mm. That is the size it comes from the timber mill and is rough sawn so it looks like a rough old fence post. For you coffee table you want PAR timber which has been run through a machine to smooth off the rough edges so it comes out slightly smaller 95mm x 45mm.

I doubt you will find any 1" x 12" as that size would just warp twist and split, you would have to use engineered timber, smaller pieces glued together in the factory.

Good Luck
    Originally posted by teneighty
    Thanks for the help, useful stuff
  • gibson123
    • 16th May 13, 8:17 PM
    • 16th May 13, 8:17 PM
    My local sawmill is very helpful, I tell them what I want to do, they tell me what I need to do the job and will even cut to size. It may help that i am female and therefore assumed to be useless at DIY.
    • murphydog999
    • By murphydog999 17th May 13, 7:56 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 4,229 Thanks
    murphydog999
    • 17th May 13, 7:56 AM
    • 17th May 13, 7:56 AM
    You could look on preloved or freecycle or gumtree, there are often people either giving away or selling wood cheaply.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 17th May 13, 12:42 PM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 17th May 13, 12:42 PM
    • 17th May 13, 12:42 PM
    a 16" wide board will be special order and expensive. You can buy furniture board which is pre jointed and glued timber. Its easy to work with and starts out flat which save you the work of jointing and smoothing. A timber merchant will be able to help you with that, but if they don't stock it the the DIY sheds will
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

301Posts Today

4,688Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin