Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 11
    • Apennyhere
    • By Apennyhere 3rd Mar 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apennyhere
    Just renewed my car insurance. Saved 100 using comparison sights, and then oddly, another hundred taking my mum off the policy as a named driver. Successful morning.
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 4th Mar 18, 1:27 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    I've been quoted £203 by One Call, including breakdown cover and with only £100 excess charge. I'm going to take it. I've spent so many hours trying to find the very best bargain, and be smart and clever, I'm exhausted. I can't get any money back from a money back site because One Call isn't registered with them but that's okay. I reckon that's not a bad price for insurance, legal cover and breakdown cover. But some insurance companies are so greedy. And I'd not claim anyway if I could help it because of having to pay the excess. Talk about a racket. It's really time that we in the UK started a revolution.
    • sstjc
    • By sstjc 5th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sstjc
    Don't know if this helps anyone but just got my car insurance renewal through. I checked comparison sites and the same company (LV) is 50 quid cheaper so I rang them and asked them to match the lower price which they couldn't. They said some discounts arn't available on their suystem.... BUT interestingly when I asked whats to stop me taking the same cover out via the comparison site they said nothing. Its ok to do that so thats what I will be doing.... This makes a nonsense of the whole thing so I told them to take me off auto-renewal and i'll renew via confused.... which I am
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • codger
    • By codger 10th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 2,740 Thanks
    codger
    *How to haggle with Co-op insurance. Or, er, not.*
    Hopefully the following will be of help to any Co-op motor insurance customer facing a renewal notice at a higher price.

It's Mrs Codger and a Co-op customer service rep in telephone conversation. Mrs C has told him she's received the renewal notice for our car's comprehensive insurance, March 2018 - March 2019. It's £65 more than we currently pay. Mrs C has also told him that another (major) insurer has just quoted -- remarkably enough -- £65 less than the Co-op is asking.

In summary: the other insurer has quoted the same price for 2018-2019 that we paid the Co-op for 2017-2018. So . . . can the Co-op do anything about reducing its renewal price?

Mr Co-op: 'I'm sorry, but the Co-op doesn't do price matching.'
    Mrs C: 'Not even when we're talking about an identical policy?'
    Mr Co-op: 'You're sure the terms are identical?'
    Mrs C: 'Well, the other insurer is automatically including "Legal Assistance" cover. We'd never have bought it as an option because it's a waste of money, but seeing as it's included, fair enough.'
    Mr Co-op: 'So what you're saying is, the other quote includes "Legal Assistance" . . . but the Co-op's doesn't.'
    Mrs C: 'Exactly.'
    Mr Co-op: 'Well, we can certainly add that to your 2018-2019 cover.'
    Mrs C: 'Er, no-oooo. We do NOT want, we do NOT need "Legal Assistance" cover.'
    Mr Co-op: 'If you change your mind though, we can do it for £25.50.'
    Mrs C: 'I haven't rung to ask you to add things to the price. I've rung to see if you'd like to reduce the price in view of the rival quote.'
    Mr Co-op: 'And you're sure, that quote provides for everything you have under your existing policy with us.'
    Mrs C: 'Yes.'
    Mr Co-op: 'But it also includes "Legal Assistance" cover.'
    Mrs C: 'That's correct.'
    Mr Co-op: 'And everything else, the NCD protection you want, the courtesy car if your own vehicle is in an accident and has to go away to be repaired: the other insurer is offering that?'
    Mrs C: 'Yes.'
    Mr Co-op: 'I see. You are aware that provision of a courtesy car is only on a limited basis? For example, if your car were to be stolen or written off, you wouldn't be able to have a replacement car in the meantime.'
    Mrs C: 'I wasn't aware, but thanks for telling me. But that's not what I'm ringing you about.'
    Mr Co-op: 'Let's see. I can add proper hire car cover to your policy, if you wish. It's called "Enhanced Courtesy Car Cover" and it's for up to 14 days hire.'
    Mrs C: 'But I don't want "Enhanced Courtesy Car Cover"!'
    Mr Co-op: 'We can do it for just £19. It's a good price.'
    Mrs C: 'Look. Thank you for telling me all this, but all I wanted to know was, is the Co-op prepared to do anything in regard to the fact that one of its major rivals is asking £65 less for our car insurance than it is?'
    Mr Co-op: 'Yes, I do understand.'
    Mrs C: 'So where are we then? What's your position?'
    Mr Co-op: 'Well . . . Your new premium is £305, so add £25.50 Legal Assistance and £19 Enhanced Courtesy Car, and that's, that's. . . £349.50.'
    Mrs C: 'I'm really not following this.'
    Mr Co-op: 'Yes, £349.50, including those policy enhancements.'
    Mrs C: 'But I rang you to see what you can do about a £240 quote from a rival insurer. Are you telling me that your answer is, how about I pay the Co-op £110. . . MORE??'
    Mr Co-op: 'I'm sorry. That's the best I can do.'
    Mrs C: 'In that case, I'm sorry, too. We won't be renewing.'
    Mr Co-op: 'I understand. That's your decision, and I appreciate you letting us know.'
    Mrs C: 'Thank you.'
    Mr Co-op: 'Of course, if you do change your mind about staying with us, well . . . Can I ask, have you considered our breakdown cover? It's only £65 a year, which compared to what you could be paying elsewhere -- '
    Mrs C rang off.

Moral of the story: not every car insurer has the same understanding that MSE does of the meaning of the word: 'haggle'. . .

• Scotty12
    • By Scotty12 28th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Scotty12
    Multi car non-discount
    Hi,
    I am new to this but wondered if anyone has had any experience of Admirals multi car insurance. I have been with Admiral fo a couple of years and have just added two cars (kids!) to my policy as they advertise ‘an immediate’ discount as soon as you add an extra vehicle. When I asked what discount I would receive (after the usual 45 minute phone call) they said I didn’t qualify as I only had just over one month left on my policy. When I asked how much of your policy you need to have left to qualify they said ‘well it depends, it is system generated’
    While I know it is only a short time but an advertised discount should mean a discount.
    Anyone had a similar experience?
    • fiscalfool
    • By fiscalfool 1st Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    fiscalfool
    Insurance renewal at £1126, cheapest quote thus far £350! Biggest issue for me last year, was moving from Company Car to Private Car. There seems to be only a couple of insurers who consider "no claims" earned on company cars.
    • Redrosie
    • By Redrosie 9th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redrosie
    Just had a go at renewing my mum's (87 year's young) insurance. What a headache even using comparison sites. No-one does a good deal for this age group.

I got a reasonable quote from Direct Line then saw the offer of £45 voucher from Amazon if I did it via the MSE website. The quote came in over £100 more than before! That's a pretty crooked deal as I'd be over £50 worse off.
    • NickPlymouth
    • By NickPlymouth 9th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NickPlymouth
    Company Car Insurance
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on getting company car insurance.

I am about to get a company car (through my own company). It's on HP so neither I nor the company will actually own it yet. It will be registered to the company.

Are there companies that will take into account my private no-claims-discount? I'm not keeping my old car so the NCD wont be 'used'.

Any advice on good insurance companies in this situation would be helpful.

Thanks,

Nick.
    • Willywombat64
    • By Willywombat64 10th Apr 18, 2:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willywombat64
    An important area that the buying insurance article doesn't mention
    Unless I missed it the buyers article doesn't mention that it's important to look at a policy's T+C's in relation to the charges they make when you make a change to your personal details. Some insurers make ludicrous charges for even changing your address details ..in some cases even when the new address is lower risk . Some may charge £50 for cancelling a policy despite you no longer being a risk for them ..the list goes on and it's easy to get snared by a cheap policy then pay a fortune for minor alterations. If a MOD reads this perhaps my point can be included in the article ( unless it's already there.)
    billyboy
    • Willywombat64
    • By Willywombat64 10th Apr 18, 2:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willywombat64
    I've been quoted £203 by One Call, including breakdown cover and with only £100 excess charge. I'm going to take it. I've spent so many hours trying to find the very best bargain, and be smart and clever, I'm exhausted. I can't get any money back from a money back site because One Call isn't registered with them but that's okay. I reckon that's not a bad price for insurance, legal cover and breakdown cover. But some insurance companies are so greedy. And I'd not claim anyway if I could help it because of having to pay the excess. Talk about a racket. It's really time that we in the UK started a revolution.
    Originally posted by MalMonroe
    Double check what their legal cover and breakdown covers ...iirc it's very limited but hopefully not , also watch out for horrendous charges if you need to change any details.
    billyboy
    • roadki11
    • By roadki11 14th Jun 18, 2:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roadki11
    Thanks!
    Went from £465 a year's insurance +£17 a month breakdown with the AA to £228 DirectLine with Greenflag premium cover.
    The AA offered to cut it to £330 if I remained with them.... I think not.

Ford CMax, 20+ years NCD and licence.
    The price comparison sites were comparable with DirectLine but not as good a deal on the breakdown cover.
    £30 a month saving covers some of this!
    • athonjon
    • By athonjon 15th Jun 18, 10:51 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    athonjon
    LEGAL EXPENSES

For the past two years when I've bought car insurance I've paid extra for Legal expenses. I'm curious what people's opinions are about this? Is it worth paying for this add-on?
    Last edited by athonjon; 23-08-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: To add a title
    • johnbhoy10
    • By johnbhoy10 27th Jun 18, 12:58 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    johnbhoy10
    Me and wife with Admiral multi-car and renewal came in at £655 total for us both. Only point worthy of mention is i had £500+ in April 2017 with Admiral themselves.

Couple of quick comparisons done the other night and Hastings Direct came up cheapest for us both. With £55 cashback on each of them total would have been about £500 give or take.

So it's off to Admiral i went and they reduced to £490 total with a bit of tweaking of excesses...we're both now £160 total which is still pretty decent.

ps-that's fully comp, legal, windscreen and NCP for both.
    • lakesider52
    • By lakesider52 1st Aug 18, 8:26 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    lakesider52
    Named Drivers
    I have full no claims bonus. My wife has always been a named driver on the policy so she has not built up any no claims bonus even though we share the driving equally and no claims have been made. Why does this rip off persist? If it ever became the case that my wife did the majority of the driving and I informed the insurance company of such, they would rip me off with an increased premium when nothing has changed.
    • Reedy13
    • By Reedy13 1st Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Reedy13
    Insurance quote cookies?
    Hi, I've just been trying to get insurance for a new car and was looking at getting an Admiral multi car policy. I looked at it during the day at work and got a quote for £850, I was happy with the quote, the cover and the price.
    At home 2-hours later, I checked it with my wife, made some minor detail changes and it jumped to £930, we were suprised and reviewed the details, checking NCD protection etc, ran the quote again and it jumped to £995. I called Admiral to speak direct and the advisor "couldn't see" the previous quotes, only the £995, which she couldn't reduce.
    In the meantime, my wife fired up her laptop, filled in the same details and got a quote for £850 - which we bought.
    My only assumption and warning is that the on-line system uses the cookies to see that you're interested and keeps hiking up the quotes!
    • butterfly72
    • By butterfly72 30th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    butterfly72
    So I got my Admiral car renewal in and amazingly it's £35 cheaper than last year and that's with a window screen claim (I know they say these claims don't make a difference - but I'm sure they do!). I've spent a couple of hours comparing prices and nothing came close to the renewal. One quote was for 1.1K more...not sure what happened there! So have stuck with Admiral again for this year. Also, don't forget you can use your credit card now, fee free, to gain any cash back..as long as you PAY IN FULL!!
    • Brummie85
    • By Brummie85 2nd Sep 18, 12:15 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Brummie85
    I am struggling to find a decent price.

I am with Elephant and paid £700 last year, but then changed my car and got stung for a few hundred quid in doing so. They sent me an auto-renew price of £1500 - obviously a terrible offer.

Shopped around - Got an offer of £800 from Quote Me Happy. But again I think this is high. I've had no bumps or claims, plus the car I have now is a lot newer and is fitted with more safety features. With that I understand it's more valuable, but I'm no more of a risk in it!.

Best that Elephant/Admiral would do is a multi-policy that back dates to my house insurance in July. So for 10 months cover - £820.

Is it worth accepting the multi policy deal? Do you actually have any more room to get a better price when it comes to renewal day?
    • edfnightmare
    • By edfnightmare 6th Sep 18, 10:04 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    edfnightmare
    Thanks for the three week saving tip
    Just renewed my car insurance at three weeks to go mark. The auto renewal quote was £250, up £30 on previous year. I got £100 cheaper insurance and much better cover using Money Supermarket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,367Posts Today

7,887Users online

Martin's Twitter