Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • maemaesmummy
    • By maemaesmummy 24th Apr 13, 10:31 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    maemaesmummy
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:31 AM
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:31 AM
    Hardly a big shock..wonder how they will write off the millions and millions for this one...probably like they have just done by not paying any staff bonus payments.

General Insurance arm up for sale...how long before the Co-op bank follows suit?
    Bit of a Florida Fan
    8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
    18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
    10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
    28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
    13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 24th Apr 13, 10:32 AM
    • 10,858 Posts
    • 17,129 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:32 AM
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:32 AM
    Hardly a big shock..wonder how they will write off the millions and millions for this one...probably like they have just done by not paying any staff bonus payments.

General Insurance arm up for sale...how long before the Co-op bank follows suit?
    Originally posted by maemaesmummy
    The Co Op? Lloyds staff were paid bonus last month (those that qualified).
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • maemaesmummy
    • By maemaesmummy 24th Apr 13, 10:39 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    maemaesmummy
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:39 AM
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:39 AM
    Yes, the co-op no-one got the annual bonus this year....well except for the high up bods earning loads lol
    Bit of a Florida Fan
    • RaspberryFool
    • By RaspberryFool 24th Apr 13, 10:51 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    RaspberryFool
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:51 AM
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:51 AM
    So Lloyds has spent millions preparing their branches for sale to the Co-op only for it to have fallen through.
    RBS has spent millions preparing their branches for sale to Santander only for it to have fallen through.
    The European commission must be really happy.
    Perhaps Lloyds ought to sell their branches to RBS for about the same price as RBS sells their branches to Lloyds?
    Funny, I haven't heard anything from the EC that is forcing the Spanish banks to sell branches even though they received millions in state aid.
    Probably another case of only the British being foolish enough to follow EC rules ...
    RaspberryFool
    Men are from Mars, Women are from ... Cadburys!
    • maemaesmummy
    • By maemaesmummy 24th Apr 13, 10:53 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    maemaesmummy
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:53 AM
    • 24th Apr 13, 10:53 AM
    Don't know about Lloyds spending millions but the Co-op has....wonder how the contractors they employed to work on Verde at £500 a day are feeling right now!!
    Bit of a Florida Fan
    • dr_adidas01
    • By dr_adidas01 24th Apr 13, 11:00 AM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    dr_adidas01
    • 24th Apr 13, 11:00 AM
    • 24th Apr 13, 11:00 AM
    Don't know about Lloyds spending millions but the Co-op has....wonder how the contractors they employed to work on Verde at £500 a day are feeling right now!!
    Probably feeling nothing and enjoying the fact they got £500 per day out of it!!!!
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both.
    • maemaesmummy
    • By maemaesmummy 24th Apr 13, 11:04 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    maemaesmummy
    • 24th Apr 13, 11:04 AM
    • 24th Apr 13, 11:04 AM
    Probably feeling nothing and enjoying the fact they got £500 per day out of it!!!!
    Originally posted by dr_adidas01
    Yes but a bit peeved it's ending sooner that they thought...although I hear Lloyds are in the market for some contractors now lol
    Bit of a Florida Fan
  • LC88
    • 24th Apr 13, 12:44 PM
    • 24th Apr 13, 12:44 PM

maemaesmummy - do you work at co-op? Whats morale there like? I read in the news the Group had suffered a 599m loss last year so this must be pretty bad news for the staff.
    • maemaesmummy
    • By maemaesmummy 24th Apr 13, 1:20 PM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    maemaesmummy
    maemaesmummy - do you work at co-op? Whats morale there like? I read in the news the Group had suffered a 599m loss last year so this must be pretty bad news for the staff.
    Originally posted by LC88
    I believe morale is low and a lot of staff are choosing to leave obviously the non payment of bonus has gone a long way towards staff feelings Back in the day they actually used to care about the staff and were well known for being a great employer, sadly this is no longer the case. Old management were replaced and new brought in.

I believe the next round of job cuts will be made soon...
    Bit of a Florida Fan
    • maemaesmummy
    • By maemaesmummy 24th Apr 13, 1:23 PM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 7,504 Thanks
    maemaesmummy
    They choose to write off the last debacle in those losses recently announced so guess they will do the same with the Finacle and Verde losses next year.

That's is there is a co-op bank left lol...and despite them saying they have no plans for that...I wouldn't hold my breath!
    Bit of a Florida Fan
    • Robin Davies
    • By Robin Davies 24th Apr 13, 6:08 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Robin Davies
    Another case of how the EU punishes the innocent
    My Lloyds account, which I've had since 1974, was at one of the branches due to be sold. I was furious when I was told that the EU had decided to punish Lloyds by selling me to the Co-op. Since then I've spent hours making phone calls and visits and reading leaflets and letters. Finally, I reached the point where the EU allowed me to open a new Lloyds account at a branch that was staying, and to arrange the switch from old to new branches. It appeared that Lloyds had been ordered to make it as hard as possible for their customers to switch from them to them, so my new account opening took an hour on the phone and went through all the checks as if I had never banked with them before. On my first attempt I failed security by reading the wrong line on my current statement and had to start again with a new phone call. We are now in the middle of the switch and I am just waiting for something to go wrong. I have to deal with new debit cards, new cheque books, etc, etc, all to stay with the same bank. None of this needed to happen. It was the last straw for me and the EU, and next time I'll be voting for a party that I never thought I would come to support.
  • innovate
    You are making a massive meal out of what is a very simple thing to do - - opening a bank account, and transferring your existing SOs, DDs and incoming payments to that new bank account. Nobody, least the EU, stands in your way doing this.

It's a good thing to have more than one bank account at different organisations, anyway, for reasons that should be obvious since the Natwest IT meltdown. Again, nobody, least the EU, stands in your way doing this.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 24th Apr 13, 7:30 PM
    • 4,863 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Tory party? Each one of their MPs is more creepy than the next.

The thing to remember is that Lloyds could have kept you and got rid of Halifax. They chose to keep Halifax - hardly the European Commission's fault.

My Lloyds account, which I've had since 1974, was at one of the branches due to be sold. I was furious when I was told that the EU had decided to punish Lloyds by selling me to the Co-op. I'll be voting for a party that I never thought I would come to support.
    Originally posted by Robin Davies
  • innovate
    Tory party?
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Not right-wing enough
  • temporary1
    Bank of Dave
    We could have leased out the high-street banking side of nationalised Lloyds to Bank of Dave (Fishwick). A social bank - run FOR the benefit of the people BY the people - with profits reinvested in new business, and local job training, rather than in directors bonuses and wealthy shareholders off-shore tax avoidance scams.
    • ChiefGrasscutter
    • By ChiefGrasscutter 24th Apr 13, 9:23 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    ChiefGrasscutter
    You are making a massive meal out of what is a very simple thing to do - - opening a bank account, and transferring your existing SOs, DDs and incoming payments to that new bank account. Nobody, least the EU, stands in your way doing this.

It's a good thing to have more than one bank account at different organisations, anyway, for reasons that should be obvious since the Natwest IT meltdown. Again, nobody, least the EU, stands in your way doing this.
    Originally posted by innovate

Sorry but I disagree with you there - on your first para anyway - the second I agree with.

This does not affect me as my Lloyds branch is unchanged but I'd be livid if it did.

I have better things to do with my life than move DD's S/O and modify all the details in various building societies, tell company dividend mandates payees etc and so on who have my bank details stored in their systems.
    Not to mention telling various sundry people who have paid/refunded me from various volunteer/committee work etc that I do that my bank details are now different....and making sure that they actually DO change them and not forget/ignore it.

Not to mention of course that I am going to have to get sodding involved in in it anyway if those people I pay are with the Verde Lloyds group and move their accounts and I am the one getting the messages to please change their bank details stored in my online banking or the various associations records........jeesz.

Not because I wanted to change of course but because the bl**dy EU mandated it!
  • innovate
    We could have leased out the high-street banking side of nationalised Lloyds to Bank of Dave (Fishwick). A social bank - run FOR the benefit of the people BY the people - with profits reinvested in new business, and local job training, rather than in directors bonuses and wealthy shareholders off-shore tax avoidance scams.
    Originally posted by temporary1
    And no FSCS protection whatsoever.

After you, Sir....
  • innovate
    I have better things to do with my life than move DD's S/O and.......
    Originally posted by ChiefGrasscutter
    you are of course entitled to disagree with me any time you like but I think you are making just as big a meal out of this as "Robin Davies" did. It hardly takes any significant time out of your life if you set up a new account (or two) and move some or all of your banking transactions.

You might even come across some better deals in the process! It's not as if there was any single bank or BS that offers you the best deal across the board.

Not because I wanted to change of course but because the bl**dy EU mandated it!
    Originally posted by ChiefGrasscutter
    Some people pick any old subject to express their displeasure with the EU. In the particular case of breaking up banking behemoths, there are huge benefits to the UK consumers - - but some people just don't want to see them, and would rather continue to be at the behest of some huge banking conglomerates that become to large to fail and then need to be rescued with public money that sends the whole country into further debt......but that's all ok because it's a home-made disaster.
  • LC88
    I believe morale is low and a lot of staff are choosing to leave obviously the non payment of bonus has gone a long way towards staff feelings Back in the day they actually used to care about the staff and were well known for being a great employer, sadly this is no longer the case. Old management were replaced and new brought in.

I believe the next round of job cuts will be made soon...

Thanks .... thats interesting as I had heard that they had been on a major recruitment drive which suggested things were good there, well before this news. But it seems all is not well and hasnt been for a while.

I know times are tough, but good staff treatment is important - not just to keep the best staff but to encourage the right behaviours to achieve good customer service. Seems like they could be on a slippery slope downhill. Always the way when a company gets too ambitious and expands too quickly - values get lost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,523Posts Today

8,116Users online

Martin's Twitter