Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Amy
    • By MSE Amy 23rd Apr 13, 6:21 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 36Thanks
    MSE Amy
    Small Claims Court guide
    • 23rd Apr 13, 6:21 PM
    Small Claims Court guide 23rd Apr 13 at 6:21 PM

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Amy; 18-09-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Page 25
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 5,857 Thanks
    waamo
    are those links still valid ??
    Originally posted by the gardener
    Looks like it's been moved to here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court/
    This space for hire.
    • Cheshirefox
    • By Cheshirefox 27th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cheshirefox
    Advice about claiming against a builder with two companies
    I had a major house extension done within the last 3 years but both bathrooms had floor tiles that lifted and subsequently water damaged the floors. The builder refused to accept liability. An independant report is clear the job was not done correctly. The builderr now says his company has ceased trading (bubt is still active on companies house). He has set up a new company.
    I had to have all the work repaired and he will not pay and now has told me no point suing him as not trading.
    Can i sue his other company or is there a way to get my money back. Its around 15k.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 27th Aug 18, 11:49 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Deastons
    I had a major house extension done within the last 3 years but both bathrooms had floor tiles that lifted and subsequently water damaged the floors. The builder refused to accept liability. An independant report is clear the job was not done correctly. The builderr now says his company has ceased trading (bubt is still active on companies house). He has set up a new company.
    I had to have all the work repaired and he will not pay and now has told me no point suing him as not trading.
    Can i sue his other company or is there a way to get my money back. Its around 15k.
    Originally posted by Cheshirefox
    I'm guessing it was a limited company that did the work/that you paid. If so, that's who you would have to sue. But just because his company is no longer trading doesn't mean the courts couldn't go after the assets of the company or the assets of the director.

You won't get 15k back. You'd have to rectify the situation and then sue him for the costs.

Did his work come with any guarantee?
    • remembe
    • By remembe 1st Sep 18, 1:52 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    remembe
    Can I make a claim against an employer?
    I work via an agency, was offered a certain rate an hour, they put it through an umbrella company'at a higher rate', but my pay is actually 10% less than the agreed rate
    • karenannep
    • By karenannep 5th Sep 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    karenannep
    Disagree with amount being recovered
    I've been issued with a County Court Claim for a figure of 1500, i accept I am part liable for costs for a service received, my contribution being about 650. But The claimant is also passing on his solicitors fee to me, there has been no previous indication that I'm liable for those costs. From the outset of his initial claim (via a solicitors letter) I have maintained I'm happy to pay but not his solicitors fees. I dont want to find my own solicitor and run up costs, Ive done nothing wrong. What do I do, let him take me to court and hope the judge will agree with me?
    • Lizzyelj
    • By Lizzyelj 5th Sep 18, 6:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lizzyelj
    Hi- I have received a letter before claim from solicitors acting on behalf of Y and Y management who manage a block of flats of which I own 1 and rent it out. I have had the flat for 4 years and never received any invoices, despite contacting Y and Y last October 3 times (no reply to my messages). I have heard of at least one other flat owner having the same issue. I have now had a Letter of Claim for 21k! and have again tried to contact Y and Y to obtain invoices - they say all correspondence must now go through the solicitor. I have emailed the solicitor (they refuse to discuss matters on the phone), but as yet received no response. Surely there can be no debt without an invoice???Not sure what my next step should be. Any advice would be appreciated!
    • waamo
    • By waamo 5th Sep 18, 7:14 PM
    • 4,466 Posts
    • 5,857 Thanks
    waamo
    For 21k see a solicitor. That is outside the limit for a small claim by some margin.

If this goes to court then the loser could very well be stumped with all the legal costs for both sides too. That can be eye watering.

You need this dealt with professionally as the potential costs could be enough to cause significant hardship.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

496Posts Today

6,104Users online

Martin's Twitter