Small Claims Court guide

Comments

• terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Duncan901 wrote: »
    Hi. As a result of my stupidity and being too trusting, I'm owed a small amount of money for a sale from a Gumtree ad. Trouble is, I don't have the person's full name or address, only first name & mobile phone number. If I wanted to persue it, does the court have the ability to track him down from that to serve the notice?

No...........
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • Hi I have made a claim through the County Court process and the defendant has filed an acknowledgment of service stating that he intends to defend my claim
    However he hasn't signed the form
    My question is can I challenge the validity of this defence on the basis that he hasn't signed the form or the covering letter that he sent with it
    I would really appreciate your advice on this
    Thanks
  • can anyone help with this?
    skater_kat wrote: »
    I have a CCJ against a small Ltd company which is run by two directors.

Lets say the company is called Indigo Ltd trading as indigo publishing. The sole employ of the company are the two directors who do all the work involved.
    My judgement is against "indigo ltd trading as indigo publishing" for just under £1900.
    What the directors have done is close the company "indigo ltd" and opened a new company, "purple ltd". Yet the new company is trading as the same business name as before, "indigo publishing". It is the same two directors running it and doing the exact same work as before.

So this has been done simply to try to avoid paying the judgement.

Is there anything I can do?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    skater_kat wrote: »
    can anyone help with this?
    Possibly.
    Why don't you start a thread and see if anyone responds?

This thread is specifically for discussion of the MSE article: Small Claims Court
  • lyl00
    lyl00 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I rented out a large expensive equipment last year. The person had stopped paying and I tried to chase for payments, I used all means of communication except going at the residence in person. In every attempt there is no response. I have hired 2 debt collectors so far and I am now thinking of taking this to the small court claim as there is still no result.

I have no idea if the person has moved now, and I think I know her workplace but not sure if she is still employed there. Due to this is it just pointless sending this case to the small court claim?
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    lyl00 wrote: »
    I rented out a large expensive equipment last year. The person had stopped paying and I tried to chase for payments, I used all means of communication except going at the residence in person. In every attempt there is no response. I have hired 2 debt collectors so far and I am now thinking of taking this to the small court claim as there is still no result.

I have no idea if the person has moved now, and I think I know her workplace but not sure if she is still employed there. Due to this is it just pointless sending this case to the small court claim?
    Hi Lyl00.

Have a read of the post immediately above yours.
  • lyl00
    lyl00 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Thanks, in my case though the debtor is not a company but an individual.
  • wealdroam
    Forumite
    I meant this bit:
    wealdroam wrote: »
    This thread is specifically for discussion of the MSE article: Small Claims Court

So my suggestion is that you start a new thread on your topic.
  • Does anybody have any experience or advice regarding seeking a small claim against a former employer?
    I was fired through Facebook recently and have yet to be paid for the prior month's work.
    However, not having signed any sort of contract or paperwork I feel like I may have got burnt by this employer.
    I have evidence of prior payment and my profile is still on the website.
    Is it worth pursuing through a small claims court?
    I'm trying to sort it out beforehand but it's not looking good.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you were an employee give ACAS a ring before you do anything
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing