Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • DJBenson
    • By DJBenson 23rd Apr 13, 2:58 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    DJBenson
    • 23rd Apr 13, 2:58 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 2:58 PM
    Wondered why I couldn't log in today, oh well.
  • nickine
    • 23rd Apr 13, 3:54 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 3:54 PM
    Online banking and app seems to be working OK now.
    • Organist
    • By Organist 23rd Apr 13, 4:01 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Organist
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:01 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:01 PM
    Still not working for me!!
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 23rd Apr 13, 4:18 PM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:18 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:18 PM
    Who could have possibly imagined computing systems could occasionally crash!?

After all the high-profile crashes over the last few years, anyone still deciding it's best to just have one bank account and rely on it for 100% of their cash requirements deserves all the inconvenience they get at times like this!
  • innovate
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:22 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:22 PM
    All working ok for me now.
  • innovate
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:28 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:28 PM
    VERY disappointed in MSE's coverage of this - - why are you suggesting to people they might want to switch accounts? We all know that computer problems can hit any outfit any time (even MSE wouldn't be immune, lol), so why not be grown-up about it and recommend that people have backup arrangements for such situations? Like: a second current account at an unrelated bank or BS, a VISA and a Mastercard credit card etc.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 23rd Apr 13, 4:44 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:44 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:44 PM
    Remember when we did not have internet banking like today,
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 23rd Apr 13, 4:52 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:52 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 4:52 PM
    VERY disappointed in MSE's coverage of this - - why are you suggesting to people they might want to switch accounts?
    Originally posted by innovate
    Affiliate link clicks.

Most of them are hidden, however clicking on the Santander 123 link takes you to this page: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/money/providers/santander-123-current-account.aspx.

MoneySupermarket.com? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 23rd Apr 13, 4:54 PM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,844 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I agree with innovate's post, unless someone in MSE has an inside line to Nationwide how can they possibly know that the cause is a "blunder"? If you don't know something surely it's better to say so rather than risk panicking people by using eyecatching headlines?
  • You-kip
    VERY disappointed in MSE's coverage of this - - why are you suggesting to people they might want to switch accounts? We all know that computer problems can hit any outfit any time (even MSE wouldn't be immune, lol), so why not be grown-up about it and recommend that people have backup arrangements for such situations? Like: a second current account at an unrelated bank or BS, a VISA and a Mastercard credit card etc.
    Originally posted by innovate
    Damn calm down who cares!
  • pqrdef
    If the regulators want to make themselves useful, why don't they insist on some standards for the engineering of banking IT systems? There are clearly too many single points of failure.

Maybe the banks need to learn from the aerospace industry, which does better - so we like to think, anyway
  • dalesrider
    If the regulators want to make themselves useful, why don't they insist on some standards for the engineering of banking IT systems? There are clearly too many single points of failure.

Maybe the banks need to learn from the aerospace industry, which does better - so we like to think, anyway
    Originally posted by pqrdef
    You mean like the dreamliner

As far as computers go there is always a risk.

The real issue is that there are too many single systems linked (read cobbled) together to talk to each other.
    Issue here is that each bank has its own internal systems, which have to interact with Visa, Mastercard and other payment systems.
    Add in many internal systems are old.... Read hold so much data, that it is considered a risk to upgrade these systems. Never mind the cost of not only the software/hardware. But also the retraining of every member of staff to use these.

But come on MSE.... Blunder this reads as someone made a mistake...
    Unlike Glitch which is just a system issue....

Its either one or the other.
    But MSE seems to like to be in the DM mould of reporting...
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
    • Hominu
    • By Hominu 23rd Apr 13, 6:45 PM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    Hominu
    Originally posted by pqrdef
    Its true, but if you want a bank that's rock solid and has multiple redundancy on every system, you'll be paying £25/month for a current account with them.

Think about it, they are very unlikely to reduce their bonuses and so the only other way of raising more cash for systems expansion is to charge customers, but then they will not be competitive and will lose customers.

Much easier to just go "Oh, my primary bank is down, I'll need to use my backup bank".
  • opinions4u
    Losing online banking for a couple of hours a month?

It's hardly a disaster.
  • innovate
    Its true, but if you want a bank that's rock solid and has multiple redundancy on every system, you'll be paying £25/month for a current account with them.
    Originally posted by Hominu
    Even £25/mth wouldn't buy you protection from the occasional glitch.

Life does go on even if access to your Internet banking is down for a few hours.
  • Dezmondo
    I agree with majority here, and am not worried or angered by not being able to access my account earlier today. I work in the IT department of a financial institution (not Nationwide), and understand that any IT system can have problems from time to time. I therefore don't expect to have access to my account services 100% of the time.

All I expect from them is:

1) If and when a glitch such as this occurs, that they do what they can to restore their systems to working order as soon as possible (which they did).

2) That they analyse the root cause(s) of the problem, and where possible and practicable prevent the issue from occurring again in the future.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 23rd Apr 13, 8:46 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 9,942 Thanks
    patman99
    So, for the first time in 10 years, Nationwide suffers a 2 hour outage on the online side of it's Banking services.
    Big deal. I work for a large multinational multi-sector company & we switched over to SAP a year or so back & it normally needs a full server reboot every couple of months to sort-out the speed & access issues that crop up.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 23rd Apr 13, 9:15 PM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300

2) That they analyse the root cause(s) of the problem, and where possible and practicable prevent the issue from occurring again in the future.
    Originally posted by Dezmondo
    That's hard for some banks when they have made redundant the IT staff who understood how the system was cobbled together to send the work abroad.

Then again getting those staff back at a minimum of £1000 per day as consultants is obviously cheaper and less risky....
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 23rd Apr 13, 11:18 PM
    • 10,133 Posts
    • 7,759 Thanks
    pmduk
    If a computer system has a hiccup, can anyone from MSE editorial explain how that translates into a banking blunder?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,935Posts Today

9,857Users online

Martin's Twitter