Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • first78
    • By first78 22nd Apr 13, 7:03 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 403Thanks
    first78
    Electric oven socket not working
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:03 PM
    Electric oven socket not working 22nd Apr 13 at 7:03 PM
    Half way through cooking dinner and suddenly realise there is no power to the electric oven. To turn the oven on their is just an empty plug socket with a red switch and a light but when I checked the red light that should be on is not on Any ideas what this could be?
Page 1
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 22nd Apr 13, 7:05 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:05 PM
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:05 PM
    Check the fuse/breaker in the consumer unit. If the fuse has blown or the breaker has tripped there must be a reason, usually one of the cooker elements has blown, if it has then its often the element round the fan.
    Last edited by nickcc; 22-04-2013 at 7:07 PM.
    • first78
    • By first78 22nd Apr 13, 7:15 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    first78
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:15 PM
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:15 PM
    Check the fuse/breaker in the consumer unit. If the fuse has blown or the breaker has tripped there must be a reason, usually one of the cooker elements has blown, if it has then its often the element round the fan.
    Originally posted by nickcc
    If this is the case will I have to buy a new oven?
    • keystone
    • By keystone 22nd Apr 13, 7:22 PM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:22 PM
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:22 PM
    No just replace the element.

Having reset the MCB or replaced the fuse though it would be wise to check socket operation with an another device such as the kettle just in case it's a loose wire in the socket rather than the oven itself.

Cheers
    • adonis
    • By adonis 22nd Apr 13, 7:24 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    adonis
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:24 PM
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:24 PM
    It will just need a new element fitted, also if you have a light in the oven the bulb may have gone and caused the breaker to trip.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 22nd Apr 13, 7:43 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:43 PM
    • 22nd Apr 13, 7:43 PM
    If you need a new element don't go for the cheapo replacements like I have in the past, this was false economy for me as they only lasted just over 6 months.
    • Myser
    • By Myser 22nd Apr 13, 11:36 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Myser
    • 22nd Apr 13, 11:36 PM
    • 22nd Apr 13, 11:36 PM
    If something has tripped in your consumer unit (fuse box), note whether it is the MCB (Mini Circuit Breaker) or RCD (Residual Current Device). The RCD will have 30mA written on it with a test button. The MCB will have something like B16A or B32A written on it.

If it is an RCBO, it will be a combination of both an MCB and RCD.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button!
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 23rd Apr 13, 8:27 AM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 23rd Apr 13, 8:27 AM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 8:27 AM
    If the RCD has tripped then other circuits will be dead, if not all.
  • Avoriaz
    • 23rd Apr 13, 12:45 PM
    • 23rd Apr 13, 12:45 PM
    If the RCD has tripped then other circuits will be dead, if not all.
    Not necessarily.

The oven may be on a dedicated circuit.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 23rd Apr 13, 1:31 PM
    • 12,559 Posts
    • 5,190 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    If it is the element, then go to espares, they are cheap and good quality, the 1 I had is fine years later.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 23rd Apr 13, 3:09 PM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    nickcc
    Not necessarily.

Originally posted by Avoriaz
    Most consumer units only have one RCD and occasionally two, never seen one with a dedicated cooker RCD, but of course I stand to be corrected.
  • mostly harmless
    Most consumer units only have one RCD and occasionally two, never seen one with a dedicated cooker RCD, but of course I stand to be corrected.
    RCBOs have a seperate RCD for each individual circuit
  • Avoriaz
    Our 2004 built house has a breaker of some sort, maybe RCBOs, for each circuit, including a dedicated circuit for the oven.

From memory, there are maybe eight or nine in total. Upstairs and downstairs lighting and sockets are four. Then there is oven, alarms and a few others,

If the oven has a fault and triggers the breaker, it only affects the oven.

If a downstairs bulb triggers the breaker, it only affects downstairs lights.

etc.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow but I think that is reasonably accurate.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 24th Apr 13, 8:24 AM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    nickcc
    Our 2004 built house has a breaker of some sort, maybe RCBOs, for each circuit, including a dedicated circuit for the oven.

From memory, there are maybe eight or nine in total. Upstairs and downstairs lighting and sockets are four. Then there is oven, alarms and a few others,

If the oven has a fault and triggers the breaker, it only affects the oven.

If a downstairs bulb triggers the breaker, it only affects downstairs lights.

etc.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow but I think that is reasonably accurate.
    The breakers are most likely MCB's which replaced the old style wired fuses, MCB's are rated in the same way as the old fuse wire used to be. The breaker on my oven is 30 amp, too low a rating will result in the breaker constantly tripping when the oven is using too much power. You also get consumer units where one side is protected by a single RCD and the other side with a basic on off switch, the non protected side is for the likes of fridge freezers or other essential circuits where a nuisance trip of the RCD could be disastrous.
    • keystone
    • By keystone 24th Apr 13, 8:32 AM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    If its a cooker or double oven yes. Methinks OP has a single oven plugged into a 13A socket in which case its unlikely and probably wired as part of the kitcchen ring. Yours may be possibly wired that way (refering to your later post) but the vast majority won't be.

RCBOs have a seperate RCD for each individual circuit
    Originally posted by mostly harmless
    Just to be picky (sorry) an RCBO combines the operation of an MCB and an RCD into a single device. There is no separate RCD.

Cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,448Posts Today

8,491Users online

Martin's Twitter