Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • chocaholicmanc
    • By chocaholicmanc 17th Apr 13, 10:07 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    chocaholicmanc
    • 17th Apr 13, 10:07 AM
    Topcashback
    • 17th Apr 13, 10:07 AM
    If you go to Chemist4U via TopCashBack then they have a discount code for an extra 10% off until 20 April!
    • mew
    • By mew 17th Apr 13, 10:13 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    mew
    • 17th Apr 13, 10:13 AM
    • 17th Apr 13, 10:13 AM
    Home Bargains (in store) have packs of Galpharm hayfever tablets for 79p each. Unlike some of their other product lines, these seem to be a consistent line, being stocked for at least a year (even over winter).

Green boxes of 14 Loratadine tablets 79p
    Blue boxes of 14 Certazine tablets 79p
  • darkestsouth
    • 17th Apr 13, 12:35 PM
    Cetirizine hydrochloride
    • 17th Apr 13, 12:35 PM
    I don't agree with the article that piriton is the only antihistamine that causes drowsiness - I use Cetirizine hydrochloride as a cheapy sleeping tablet as well as a nighttime antihistamine, which gives me a great night's sleep when I need one.
    When I first realised I had some sort of allergy, Cetirizine hydrochloride was the first I tried, but I fell asleep one lunchtime in the middle of a chat with my father, at work! I know different drugs affect people differently, so ymmv, but I would never take one of those tablets in the daytime if I had to drive or work with machinery, or do anything productive.
    Loratadine on the other hand leaves me drowsy-free, so if that's what you're after, it gets my vote.

Just a heads-up.

I get mine from amazon, but the prices are rather seasonal.
  • Wywth
    • 17th Apr 13, 3:25 PM
    • 17th Apr 13, 3:25 PM
    I'm not sure if many people need 3 months worth of these tablets (assuming 1 is taken every day).

For those that don't, Home Bargains sell the same generic packs of 14 for 79p as those sold by pound shops and the supermarkets for a quid.

Edit: Beaten to it (by several hours ) by mew
    Last edited by Wywth; 17-04-2013 at 3:27 PM.
  • Grumpybear
    • 17th Apr 13, 3:50 PM
    • 17th Apr 13, 3:50 PM
    Going via topcashback with the 10% voucher code also gives you the option of delivery for 1.95, so you can actually get 90 days worth of hayfever tablets for 3.81 delivered! Bargain.
    • maybe1
    • By maybe1 17th Apr 13, 4:36 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 97,845 Thanks
    maybe1
    • 17th Apr 13, 4:36 PM
    • 17th Apr 13, 4:36 PM
    Also at Chemist 4 U,

Sodium Cromoglicate Hayfever Eye Drops 10ml (Opticrom) Brand recieved may vary [P] 1.79
  • lorna9339
    • 17th Apr 13, 7:03 PM
    Cheap loratadine
    • 17th Apr 13, 7:03 PM
    You can get 4 x 30 Loratadine 10mg tablets for 2.99 delivered at Pharmacy First.
    • devildog
    • By devildog 17th Apr 13, 7:29 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    devildog
    • 17th Apr 13, 7:29 PM
    • 17th Apr 13, 7:29 PM
    I'm not sure if many people need 3 months worth of these tablets (assuming 1 is taken every day).

For those that don't, Home Bargains sell the same generic packs of 14 for 79p as those sold by pound shops and the supermarkets for a quid.

Edit: Beaten to it (by several hours ) by mew
    Originally posted by Wywth
    I need them for approx. 9 months of the year
    • iblametheparents
    • By iblametheparents 18th Apr 13, 12:18 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    iblametheparents
    You can get 4 x 30 Loratadine 10mg tablets for 2.99 delivered at Pharmacy First.
    Originally posted by lorna9339
    I ordered these last week, I got 6.06% cashback on TCB too.
  • Sam_26
    Cetirizine isn't suppose to make you drowsy, but different people react differently to different medications. Please take the one that suits you best
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Chemist-4-u. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • judyjetson
    • By judyjetson 18th Apr 13, 12:04 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 2,966 Thanks
    judyjetson
    Prevalin nasal spray is only 99p in Home Bargain at the moment.
  • Wywth
    Available from Clearchemist at 18p for 30 x 10mg. Registered on-line pharmacist. Have bought from this seller and can vouch for their reliability.
    Originally posted by FedExpress
    But can we vouch for yours?

You failed to mention the minimum 3.19 delivery charge (and that assumes you are prepared to wait a week or more just to dispatch them) ... unless you spend over 35
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 18th Apr 13, 2:49 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,497 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Research shows some people get complete relief from hayfever symptoms by cleaning up their diet to make it immune supporting/ anti inflammatory: look at your intake of oily fish (at least twice a week), low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables (at least five a day in the full rainbow of colours).

Substantially reduce or eliminate sugar, white/ refined carbs, high GI carbs, caffeine, alcohol, most omega-6s fats, saturated animal fats.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • joan1234
    • By joan1234 18th Apr 13, 3:19 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joan1234
    Hayfever Symptoms Reduced by not eating Cheese
    I read a blog that suggested dairy products especially cheese increases the severity of your symptoms. I stopped cheese and the hayfever practically disappeared. During season I stop dairy as much as possible and last year did not take one tablet. If you must have a pizza you can always take a pill. Works within 24 hours if your one of the people dairy products reacts with so you will know very quickly if its going to be of any help.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 18th Apr 13, 5:23 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,497 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    I read a blog that suggested dairy products especially cheese increases the severity of your symptoms. I stopped cheese and the hayfever practically disappeared. During season I stop dairy as much as possible and last year did not take one tablet. If you must have a pizza you can always take a pill. Works within 24 hours if your one of the people dairy products reacts with so you will know very quickly if its going to be of any help.
    Originally posted by joan1234
    Pizza the problem is more likely to be the base as the cheese for most people. If you choose to avoid dairy you must replace the missing minerals with a bioavailable source, it's wise to discuss this with a doctor or dietician before randomly eliminating food groups.
  • Bestb4
    ChemistDirect.co.uk
    I need them for approx. 9 months of the year
    Originally posted by devildog
    I use ChemistDirect.co.uk, delivery is 4.75 if your order is under 40, but you can purchase 6 months supply of Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Zirtek) 5.98 and 6 months supply of Loratadine (Clarityn) 4.48. So with delivery thats around 2.63 for 30.
    I buy a years supply (6 months of each - doc told me to rotate antihistamines in case they become ineffective)as I need them all year round - I'm allergic to my cat

They sell lots of other things too like pet food, perfume, electrical items. I also have to get prescription food for my cat which is a small fortune and Chemist Direct sells this also at a discounted price.
    I therefore get free delivery making my antihistamines approximately 0.87 a month

Their frontline staff are very pleasant and are happy to listen to your requests and reasons for bulk buying. They also take Paypal so you can keep your credit cards etc offline.
  • Bestb4
    Research
    Research shows some people get complete relief from hayfever symptoms by cleaning up their diet to make it immune supporting/ anti inflammatory: look at your intake of oily fish (at least twice a week), low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables (at least five a day in the full rainbow of colours).

Substantially reduce or eliminate sugar, white/ refined carbs, high GI carbs, caffeine, alcohol, most omega-6s fats, saturated animal fats.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox

Research unfortunately can be heavily biased and subjective; depending on why and who funded the research.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 19th Apr 13, 11:06 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,497 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Research unfortunately can be heavily biased and subjective; depending on why and who funded the research.
    Originally posted by Bestb4
    I am qualified to degree level in a variety of health disciplines so well aware of that, but thanks.
    • Bazofts Revenge
    • By Bazofts Revenge 20th Apr 13, 12:20 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Bazofts Revenge
    Luffa complex
    I am usually one of the first to put down alternative therapies but after getting fed up of paying out for Beconase I asked in our local herbalists if they could recommend something. They recommended Luffa complex and well apart from really high pollen days Hayfever symptoms are really down. I used to get really sore eyes now I just get a few sneezes which I can put up with and when I do get the sneezes I just use them as a reminder to have a dose of Luffa. I think a bottle costs about 9 but as one bottle last me 2 summers then it is n't that expensive. I generally only need one t spoon of it in a morning during the season. Some high pollen count days 2 or 3 spaced out depending how things go. One tip though have a glass of something nice to drink ready as the tincture version doesn't taste too great but it is something you get used to. You can get it in tablet form but I haven't tried that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter