Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Apr 13, 5:26 PM
    • 9,004Posts
    • 21,789Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Watch out there's a badger about...
    • 12th Apr 13, 5:26 PM
    Watch out there's a badger about... 12th Apr 13 at 5:26 PM

Afternoon everyone!

We're really excited to be launching something fun this afternoon, that we've been working on for a while.

You're probably curious already so I'll get straight on with it...

Who's MSE Badger?

MSE Badger's a funny, furry creature. He wanders the forums looking for good deeds and fabulous MoneySaving to reward people for.

If you've paid off your debts and have finally become debt free, shout it from the rooftops on the Debt Free Roll of Honour and you may get a badge!

If you've beaten the best Car Insurance record let us know your Car Insurance successes and the badger may award you a badge.

If you've won big on the Competitions Board tell other compers on the I Won! I Won! I Won! Board and you may get a badge too!

What Badges are there?

There are plenty of badges to aim for and we'll be adding more too. You can see the full list on the badges page and your own personal badges list on the badge tab in your profile page.

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-04-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 11
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 30th Mar 16, 10:33 AM
    • 9,004 Posts
    • 21,789 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Cool, they have it already, thank you!

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • Amara
    • By Amara 7th Apr 16, 8:29 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 7,291 Thanks
    Amara
    Hi!
    Tip from the challenge I run , "1 debt vs 100 days chapter 22"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5433920
    was included in weekly email. Can I have "I've been Money Tipped!" badge, please?
    Last edited by Amara; 07-04-2016 at 8:33 PM.
    Tackle your debt, take a part in 1 debt vs 100 days challenge.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 29
    110/500
    Gaining assets
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Apr 16, 10:58 AM
    • 9,004 Posts
    • 21,789 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Congratulations Amara

Join the MSE Forum
    • Amara
    • By Amara 9th May 16, 10:23 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 7,291 Thanks
    Amara
    Hello again!
    I submitted my tax return yesterday , I put costs of washing my uniform into cost against profits. Can I have "Uniform washer" badge, please?
    Tackle your debt, take a part in 1 debt vs 100 days challenge.
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 29
    110/500
    Gaining assets
    • Westin
    • By Westin 26th Jul 16, 6:09 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    Westin
    Hello Mr Badger...
    Long time MSE forum member and contributor but never actually got around to setting up an Avatar or collecting badges. As I hit my 750+ post the other week and seemed to acquire a bit of green ribbon to go with my three stars against my username that gave me the push along to look at the badges that others had against their name. Time for me to catch up I thought....so...

Dear Mr. Badger,

Please will you consider me for the following badges: -

Mortgage-Free Glee!
    No mortgage debt as savings in my off-set mortgage now balance and clear the money owed. My story can be found in post #588 on the Mortgage Free Roll of Honors here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=493240

Newshound
    The one I would like to put forward for this badge is when changes were made to US ESTA's at short notice. After posting I spoke with MSE Lucinda and helped with her news report that subsequently was carried by MSE as a news story. Weeks later the mass media picked it up. The original thread is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5422756&highlight=usa+passport

(I also broke new of the Low Cost Holidays collapse an hour before MSE published it - do I get a bonus point http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5494785 )

Uniform Washer
    I haven't had to wear a uniform at work for some years but both my grown up children do. I helped both of them with letters to the tax office using the MSE template and both now have tax rebates/credits. My son has since shared this with others at his place of work and so at least five other of his friends/colleagues have also benefitted.

Holiday Haggler
    I don't smoke, drink only a little but Mrs.Westin and I enjoy our many overseas holidays. Holiday Haggling is the norm. We will sometimes go on package deals, sometimes making our own arrangements - the key is to price things out, look for deals but always also consider what can go wrong. Saving is good but not at the detriment of having a safe and secure holiday. We for example knew about Low Cost Holidays moving their operation overseas some years back and no longer having bonding. I wouldn't use them for that reason. I research travel companies in advance and would not use many based on negative reports from others. We will shop on line, talk to our travel agent and call tour operators directly. We will not waste their time but will politely ask if they can improve on a price or offer us an extra. Call centre agents I have often found will have sales targets. Towards the end of the month they can often be very keen to hit a sales target and will be keen to close a sale and get your booking. Many Operators give call agents "sales enablers" - we have managed to get free airport lounge passes, a room upgrade and money off simply by pushing the agent politely and saying "if I book with you now - can you give me something to close the deal". Suggest something reasonable and often I have found it will be granted. Touch wood it always seems to work.

OK - that's my badge crawling bit.

Now for a suggestion.

For a new badge, how about one for a large discount or substantial amount of money off an item by using a coupon or voucher. Might seem obvious and I think we have all used money off coupons once in a while but I can't see a badge for that. How about some great stories of massive savings similar to those people you see on certain TLC TV shows who seem to get their weekly shop for free from clipping half a dozen coupons from the Radio Times.

Finally - I also take some credit for getting you to change one of your badges. Do you remember those badge acknowledgments for the number of postings (before they changed to the current coloured circles). I think they were designed to look like a certificate but they were so small it was impossible to tell. I remarked on a forum that they looked like margarine lids and questioned there look. They changed shortly afterwards to the current icon. Perhaps that one you might hold against me

Thanks for reading Mr. Badger.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 26th Jul 16, 11:43 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    Westin
    Mr.Badger was working late tonight.

Thank you for my new badges
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th Jul 16, 11:57 PM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 12,447 Thanks
    edwink
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209&highlight=hens+names+how+ many+eggs

Dear Mr Badger

I started the above thread last July and it was mentioned in one of the MSE weekly newsletters but even though I contacted you and sent you the above link I never got my badge. I did not know I was entitled to a badge until one of my regular posters (Queen of Cheap) told me. In fact she also contacted you because I was having trouble sending you the link. ETA. And it still looks like I am having trouble with the link. Just tried it and it is wrong again. Mmmmmm!! If at first you don't succeed try and try again. Yay!! After trying about 8 times I think I have finally managed to add the correct link to my thread. Hoorah!!

Please may I have my badge? Pretty please.

Thank you

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 27-07-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    7 ducks ~ 7 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • 12 month challenge
    • By 12 month challenge 15th Aug 16, 11:36 AM
    • 2,318 Posts
    • 5,099 Thanks
    12 month challenge
    Hi Badger

I have just managed to upgrade my OHs mobile phone using the link from

We have bagged a Sim only deal with EE giving us unlimited texts, unlimited Minutes and 16GB data AND a 90 Amazon voucher, all for 19.99 a month

Thank you for the tip

Is there a badge for this Badger
    SP 9#531=620/SP 10 # 531=?
    PDBX 2016 #2 = 16,766.67/12,000
    PDBX 2017 #2 = 1,200/12,000

''If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain''
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 28th Aug 16, 12:59 PM
    • 12,301 Posts
    • 16,566 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Actually, would I be due a badge for switching energy suppliers:

2014: switched to E.ON via Cheap Energy Club (CEC)
    2015: stayed with E.ON, switched to a cheaper tariff after checking comparison sites and CEC
    2016: will do something similar this year, but the annual gas usage estimate will be interesting as we had a new A-rated boiler installed 2 months ago (compared to the G-rated one we used to have).

I'm afraid I can't remember the savings, but E.ON reduced my monthly direct debit from 57 to 45 due to reduction in our usage.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 2nd Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    My tip was included in the weekly email. Can I have the "I've been Money Tipped!" badge, please?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5529795

Thanks

f&w
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 16-10-2016 at 8:01 AM.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 2nd Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    Actually, would I be due a badge for switching energy suppliers:

2014: switched to E.ON via Cheap Energy Club (CEC)
    2015: stayed with E.ON, switched to a cheaper tariff after checking comparison sites and CEC
    2016: will do something similar this year, but the annual gas usage estimate will be interesting as we had a new A-rated boiler installed 2 months ago (compared to the G-rated one we used to have).

I'm afraid I can't remember the savings, but E.ON reduced my monthly direct debit from 57 to 45 due to reduction in our usage.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet

If changing suppliers counts then I too should qualify,

2010-2012 with Scottish Power ( No problems)
    2012 Switched to EDF
    2013. Switched to M & S Energy ( via Quidco with cash back)
    2014. Switched to Co-Op Energy ( least said about this the better)
    2015 Switched to E-On via MSE,changed tarrif with them 2 in 2 weeks as they kept bringing out better deals. Still with them with a fix till March 2017, but I will change again if a better deal comes along.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 12th Nov 16, 7:09 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Energy Saving Champion?
    Dear Mr Badger,

I've now received :
    Congrats, you're already on a cheap deal, but...
    That's not all Energy Club is about. Energy Club monitoring is now switched ON so we'll alert you when your tariff can be beaten. You're done for now!
    from the Cheap Energy Club. The CEC can no longer offer me a cheaper deal than my current deal (and probably won't for the duration of this deal.)

I've also checked with all the energy comparison sites / companies, and they all say the same thing - Your current plan is the cheapest at this time, (and that's excluding all the additional discounts not available with other energy suppliers.)

I've saved s cutting my gas & electricity with the MSE Cheap Energy Club and MSE Gas & Electricity.

I'm sure you can verify this via the CEC.

I've also helped others to save 's.

Could i have an Energy Saving Champion Badge, please?

I'm quite proud of my achievement / never ending pursuit of cheaper energy. It looks like it could well have come to an end until the summer of 2018, though.
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 12-11-2016 at 3:47 PM. Reason: added comment
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 18th Feb 17, 7:12 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    bobobski
    Hi Mr Badger, I sorted out my home phone/broadband last month using the MSE guide (customer retentions and whatnot) and got a great bargain - I'm now paying 25 per month including line rental for EE fibre broadband, no additional costs/set up fees, one month free in an 18 month contract and an additional 5GB data on my mobile contract with them even after we'd agreed the terms for my home phone/broadband. Is this worthy of the haggling badge?
    #8: Save 12k in 2018: 2,758.01 / 14,000 (19.70%) | #18: Save 12k in 2017: 12,078.82 / 12,000 (100.65%) | #86: Save 12k in 2016: 8,476.09 / 10,000 (84.76%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: 24,349.25
    / 60,000 (40.58%) | Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: 2,230 / 5,000 (44.60%)
    • rpip
    • By rpip 7th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rpip
    Today I got this:

And thought it was a scam. How do I get it back?
    • rpip
    • By rpip 7th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    rpip
    My post excluded the paste:
    !!!8220;Sender MSE Badger. Congratulations!!!8230;.8 year anniversary!!!8230;Click.."
    I went back a page to get rid of it!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 8th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 9,004 Posts
    • 21,789 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi rpip

If you're referring to a private message you've removed I'm afraid you won't be able to get it back.

Are your settings enabled to send you email notifications of private messages? If so you should have had an email to the email address you joined the forum with.

Andrea

Join the MSE Forum
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 9th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 12,301 Posts
    • 16,566 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I've just made a saving on my home insurance!

Original insurer's renewal price: 106
    Cheapest price on comparison sites: 87
    Called original insurer to cancel, secured a cheaper price than last year, they offered me: 90.

Is that worth a badge? Or am I barking into the wrong sett?

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 26th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 12,301 Posts
    • 16,566 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Ooh! Another one from me - I've just switched from EE (16.99/month for 2000 mins, unlimited texts & 2GB data) to 3 (10/month for unlimited mins, unlimited texts & 4GB data) after using the Billmonitor site that MSE's cheap mobile deals article suggests using.

Is there a badge for saving money on your mobile bills?

Ok, I'm actually liking these badges now - MSE, you've convinced me on them

• MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 12,301 Posts
    • 16,566 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Oh! I've made yet another saving, please see my post here.

Andrea, can you please ask Mr Badger to have a look for me?

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 16th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 22,717 Posts
    • 57,009 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Dear badger, please may i have two more badges?

I won (comps): http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5829421

Wedding Day Wonder: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5763857

Thank you mightily
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

3,805Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin