Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 14th May 07, 8:25 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    • 14th May 07, 8:25 PM
    • 14th May 07, 8:25 PM
    Mum and dad don't put their butter in the fridge, unless it gets really hot in summer.
    They keep theirs in a covered butter dish, it doesn't get time to go off.
    If you don't use a lot, then cut a block into quarters and just leave out a small amount at a time, keeping the rest wrapped up in the fridge.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
    • Psykicpup
    • By Psykicpup 14th May 07, 8:27 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Psykicpup
    • 14th May 07, 8:27 PM
    • 14th May 07, 8:27 PM
    keeps for ages as long as the weathers not too warm in which case it is better in the fridge as it an get toooo soft
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19
    • kippers
    • By kippers 14th May 07, 8:33 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 5,917 Thanks
    kippers
    • 14th May 07, 8:33 PM
    • 14th May 07, 8:33 PM
    I keep mine in a butter dish and i don't keep it in the fridge as you can't spread it then.

I'm still here to tell the tale
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 14th May 07, 8:35 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 14th May 07, 8:35 PM
    • 14th May 07, 8:35 PM
    I have never had any problems with keeping butter out of the fridge. I use a Cornish ware butter dish which I love. I put half a block in at a time. It gets used pretty quickly with 5 of us.
    • CLARABEL
    • By CLARABEL 14th May 07, 8:47 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    CLARABEL
    • 14th May 07, 8:47 PM
    • 14th May 07, 8:47 PM
    i also keep mine out of the fridge in a terracotta butter dish. my dish can be soaked in water if it gets hot weather so that it cools the butter through evaporation!

My butter has never gone rancid, and lasts easily more than a week..

• Ytaya
    • 14th May 07, 8:56 PM
    • 14th May 07, 8:56 PM
    Thanks, guys!

It seems like a butter dish is key. A quick scout online tells me that John Lewis / Lakeland want £13 - £30 for one, and Argos and Tesco Direct don't do them. Are butter dishes really that expensive?! Would any old stoneware pot with a lid do? I'm a single girl, I don't need oodles out at once.
  • AussieLass
    • 14th May 07, 9:23 PM
    • 14th May 07, 9:23 PM
    Yes any stoneware pot with a lid will be fine. I'd just keep a little out at a time if you are the only one using it. I think a hot summer is predicted
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• heather38
    • 14th May 07, 10:38 PM
    • 14th May 07, 10:38 PM
    i'm cheap and use one of these http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15567&catalogId=10103 &storeId=7&productId=11078&langId=-20&categoryId=16260&chosenPartNumber=80098583
    it does me and i'm still here to tell the tale.

• Mariel
    How about a lock and lock? They usually keep things fresh for longer.
    • wolvesinwales
    • By wolvesinwales 15th May 07, 12:04 AM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    wolvesinwales
    I always struggled getting this right but on a recent visit to Macro i found the solution, i bought a box of catering butter mini packs 10g in each i think. I just take a few out of the fridge at a time.
    Plus they actually worked out cheaper than the equivalent weight in a single block.
    WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHH……..
    Blimey what was that ?
    That was your life mate
    Oh I wasn’t quite ready can I have another go ?
    Sorry mate only one per person.
  • ti1980
    Thats a good idea wolves. I don't use butter much though. Is there anywhere that sells them individually? I probably only use the equivalent of 2 a week. I know you can get value butter cheap but I never finish a block.
    They might be overpriced individually but it would be worth it for me.

Butter in the fridge is naff and too hard to use most of the time.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 15th May 07, 7:58 AM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    Thanks, guys!

It seems like a butter dish is key. A quick scout online tells me that John Lewis / Lakeland want £13 - £30 for one, and Argos and Tesco Direct don't do them. Are butter dishes really that expensive?! Would any old stoneware pot with a lid do? I'm a single girl, I don't need oodles out at once.
    Originally posted by Ytaya
    I felt the same couldnt find one for love nor money anywhere over a tenner- I was not paying that! I found one in home & bargains for 1.99 in the end ( gotta love HB) saying that they are the sort of thing that are ten-a-penny at bootsales/ charity shops etc
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
  • debtfreehopeful
    we bought our butter dish for a few pounds in woolworths if thats any help
  • bandraoi
    I use the kerrygold spreadable stuff and that works straight out of the fridge even though it's real butter.
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 15th May 07, 9:06 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    If you don't use much butter, buy a half pound block, cut it in four pieces. Freeze two of them. Put one in the fridge, and put one in your "butter dish" .

When the one in the butter dish is nearly used up, take the one out of the fridge and put it in the butter dish. Take one out of the freezer and put it into the fridge.

When you put the last piece from the freezer into the fridge, you need a new block.

It's much cheaper than buying 10g packs.

Lock and Lock won't do for keeping the butter out of the fridge. You need something made of china or stone, as this helps keep things cool.

If you are only using a small amount of butter, then something like a lidded sugar bowl would do. Youc an pick lots of them up very cheaply on Ebay.
  • Ytaya
    Shortly after my last post, it occurred to me that this is exactly the kind of thing you find in charity shops - I'll go digging in my locals! I'll also check out Woolies, thanks debtfreehopeful.

dannahaz, this was more or less the plan I had - great minds think alike, eh? I had an inkling that something ceramic would be better from an insulation point of view.

Thanks, guys!
    • martindow
    • By martindow 15th May 07, 10:01 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 4,472 Thanks
    martindow
    I'm still alive too despite keeping butter in a dish out of the fridge. I suspect we keep a lot of things in a fridges that are fine at room temperature.
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 15th May 07, 10:05 AM
    • 17,986 Posts
    • 22,277 Thanks
    Poppy9
    I too keep mine out of the fridge unless weather is really hot and it will then go runny.

I searched for a new butter dish and finally found one in Kitchen n' things for £3. We don't use much butter so I put 1/2 slab out at a time and it's never gone off yet. Before I found my butter dish I used a tupperware type tub from Tesco. It did the job but I prefer not to store my food in plastic.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
    • wyebird
    • By wyebird 15th May 07, 10:06 AM
    • 742 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    wyebird
    Car boot sales are full of pots that held stilton at Christmas...find them great for butter!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter