Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    • 1,254Posts
    • 3,328Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Batten down the hatches.....
    • 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    Batten down the hatches..... 23rd Mar 13 at 10:32 PM
    Hello, I'm new! I've been lurking for a while but its time for me join in all the fun!!

In July 2012, I realised how much money I wasted. Not only frivolous things, but on household bills. Why pay more when I can get the same service for less?!

Since that point I have made quite a few changes, cut back on all the "painless" things I can and tried to keep my spending under control. I know I could do a lot better so in my attempt to do that, I thought I would start a diary to track progress, have a ramble and feel motivated to finally become debt free.

Last July, when I totalled up all my debts, it was around 5300 but then I thought it would be a good idea to add my holiday to my credit card Maybe my lightbulb had only flickered

As of today, my debts are as follows:

Overdraft - 1050 (mostly live in this)
    JD Williams - 260.66
    Nationwide credit card - 457.08
    Mint credit card - 3417.88
    TOTAL - 5185.62

So I'm a bit better off than I was in July 2012

I have got a plan and rightly or wrongly the order I've typed it in is it! I've 250 in an ISA and in March and April, I am aiming to save 800 and then pay off the overdraft in one fell swoop. I've tried the old spending a bit less and when I went on holiday in November, I did get it down to 450 but then since I've been back I've got distracted with clearing other debts its gone back up. I read somewhere that if I get the bank to reduce my overdraft, they would credit check me and I really could do without that (that's another story!). I don't think I've ever lived in credit. I've had a overdraft since I was at university and I've been happily unhappily living in it ever since. I'm 36 this year and if my plan works, I'll be living in the black by my birthday . Of course my other debts will still be there........

The big Mint card is the last thing to tackle as most of it is on a 0% until September. When I've cleared the other smaller debts, I'm hoping to get a longer term 0% credit card and balance transfer it.

My next job is to collate all the bits of paper where I have kept track of what I've saved by cancelling direct debits, and reducing bills by shopping around. I'm pretty sure its around 150 a month but it will be nice to see it written on here. I also want to collate all my other income streams such as cashback, surveys, tesco and nectar points and my nutella jar of change.

Right, best get on. Lots to do...
    Last edited by Orange Ena; 12-08-2015 at 7:24 PM.
Page 46
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 6th Jan 18, 11:50 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Wotcha

Wednesday 3rd Jan
    * NSD
    * Youg0v survey
    * 0nepoll survey
    * PA surveys
    * VO surveys
    * 52p sweep into FD savings
    * 1.25 sweep into my overpayments account

Thursday 4th Jan
    * 6.87 requested from TCB
    * 40.06 refund from Plusn3t for service downtime when I moved, transferred to FD savings
    * 5p roadkill found

Fri-yay 5th Jan
    * 0nepoll surveys
    * 75p bonus payment from PA
    * 54.05 refund from my previous energy supplier and transferred to FD savings
    * 4.60 received from TCB and transferred to my overpayments account
    * 10 win on postcode lottery and transferred to FD savings

Today
    * Youg0v survey

To do list
    * Write to HMRC to update them about job / car / professional membership fees / uniform tax relief and to check if rebate due
    * Energy comparison and switch

I'm still thinking of goals for the year but I know it will involve surveys, reading more books, looking after myself and maybe saying yes a bit more. But not yes to buying more stuff I don't need!

I've had a bit of a win with the work situation which I am still totally shocked about. When I was offered the job, they told me I would be on the lowest increment and despite (cheekily ) asking to be placed higher up due to my length of NHS service, it was a no go and that was fine, I was just happy to get a new job. Well, I checked my payslip only to find I'm being paid at the top of the band. Payroll have recognised my years of service and paid me the extra, I checked I still don't trust them though, I took down the guys name but I might get them to put it in writing before I start spending it But then maybe I'll just squirrel that extra pay away and "pretend" I'm not getting it Bruc1e Bonus
    CC Debt April 2015 - 6895.44 April 17 - 2500 Dec 17 - 560
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - 374.47
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 7th Jan 18, 8:52 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 10,740 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh that is brilliant news on the increments. I know we used to have arguments about top of increment redeployments, research bids would cost grant funding at the lowest point of the grade and then argue they couldn't offer the post any higher then first stage which got a 'tough' response from HR.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 55,020 Posts
    • 219,765 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news.i don!!!8217;t think that they have any choice though.
    Relax and enjoy.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 15,829 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    So pleased about your higher increment. Fortune favours the brave
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 9th Jan 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Ah thanks very much ladies, still buzzing

Monday 8th January
    * 0nepoll survey
    * Youg0v survey
    * 6p roadkill found

Today
    * NSD
    * 6.87 received from TCB and transferred to my overpayments account
    * 0nepoll survey
    * Youg0v survey

As you probably know, for the last couple of years I've really been focusing on reducing my debt as I felt it was trapping me in my job. Along with that I was finishing off my house jobs and decorating ready to sell it so I could move back to my hometown and get a new job. Now I can tick all that off, I need a new focus

The debt still needs paying and that will bubble away, then I'll probably switch to paying off my mortgage as and when I can. However, my main focus will be...............ME!!! The year of the orange

I want to look after myself more
    Floss my teeth regularly
    Take my own make up off at night instead of letting the pillow do it
    Get a "skincare routine"
    Read more
    Craft more
    Eat well
    Lose weight
    Walk more
    Use up my nice products
    Burn candles
    Do deep breathing exercises
    Practice mindfulness

Obviously my diary won't be a record of how many times a week I managed to take my make up off .....no-one wants to read that But whereas a year or two ago, all I could really think about was paying off my debt, this year, I'm going to take care of myself first. I won't be wildly spending money as all of the above things are minimal costs so win win

So, off to a great start, I've joined Slimm1ng W0rld. Which is a cost, I know, but I'm seeing it as more of an investment. I'm feeling quite motivated at the moment which is great. My overnight oats are doing their thing in the fridge, along with my salad for lunch tomorrow. No need to buy any food, any crap or spend any money tomorrow. Rinse and repeat until I am fitter and healthier
    CC Debt April 2015 - 6895.44 April 17 - 2500 Dec 17 - 560
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - 374.47
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 15,829 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Don't forget face pack Fridays
    It's great that you are looking after yourself.
    I used to be a bit sneery about breathing exercises but I do them now and find then very useful...
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 55,020 Posts
    • 219,765 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yah for the year of the orange
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • BettyBones
    • By BettyBones 11th Jan 18, 11:48 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    BettyBones
    So happy to see you in a much better place now. The future's bright... the future's Orange's!
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin