Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 5,832Posts
    • 38,516Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
Page 265
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 6th Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Hello SA,

Walking poles. Ok. interesting. Might help with his balance I guess. I hope I say this often but in case I am just thinking it you really do have the patience of a saint. Love in action XXX

I hope you do have wine and are enjoying your Saturday evening.
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 54,939 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    PM your adress again & will send it to you
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,516 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    OMG our old Zumba instructor was on Take me Out tonight. She was a brilliant instructor - and Spanish - which made it more authentic.

Buffy I'm not taking the walking poles seriously, it's another fad and he hasn't mentioned them since. Honestly I don't have the patience of a saint, in reality I get really cross with him at times.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 6th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Re the walking poles I nearly posted that it might be one of Mr SA’s better ideas and it might help him but didnt realise that his walking was that bad.

I think you need some sort of “Mr SA control” to set on all the tv adverts and Amazon type sites!

Drink some wine!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 6th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 50,235 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    OMG our old Zumba instructor was on Take me Out tonight. She was a brilliant instructor - and Spanish - which made it more authentic.

Buffy I'm not taking the walking poles seriously, it's another fad and he hasn't mentioned them since. Honestly I don't have the patience of a saint, in reality I get really cross with him at times.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    that doesn't make you any less amazing honest. I think of you and PLMBL a great since my BIL had the stroke. Some days over the last 6 months have been hopeless and even now my sister faces the idea daily that the man she spent the last 20 years with simply doesn't exist. Some days he remembers loads, other day snothing at all. She doesn't know how well he will recover - he is doing brilliantly at the moment. I would describe it as darkness with shafts of light. I realise as I get older that these periods of pains are a normal part of life. As awful as they are. As hollow as it sounds. The shafts of light are so important. The good food, the wine, the good film, peace, time and comfort. So I shall love and admire you and wish you wine XXXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 9:57 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 30,579 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Re the walking poles I nearly posted that it might be one of Mr SA’s better ideas and it might help him but didnt realise that his walking was that bad.

I think you need some sort of “Mr SA control” to set on all the tv adverts and Amazon type sites!

Drink some wine!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Mr SA control
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 30,579 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    that doesn't make you any less amazing honest. I think of you and PLMBL a great since my BIL had the stroke. Some days over the last 6 months have been hopeless and even now my sister faces the idea daily that the man she spent the last 20 years with simply doesn't exist. Some days he remembers loads, other day snothing at all. She doesn't know how well he will recover - he is doing brilliantly at the moment. I would describe it as darkness with shafts of light. I realise as I get older that these periods of pains are a normal part of life. As awful as they are. As hollow as it sounds. The shafts of light are so important. The good food, the wine, the good film, peace, time and comfort. So I shall love and admire you and wish you wine XXXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    The shafts of light are very important.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,516 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    PM your adress again & will send it to you
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Don't throw it away Beanie, just waiting to see if the Mail reply to my email. Thanks by the way xx

Buffy - I know what your sister is going through and until you can accept the situation it's heart-breaking. I still have a wobble when I think back to how my life used to be; I seem to be forever saying to people "we used to do that before he got ill". At some stage she'll accept the "new normal", but it takes some doing. For me, it doesn't help that almost everyone I know is leading a normal life like the life I used to have. The FB posts of people doing nice things with their OHs and their "amazing" OHs doing nice things for them when mine is in bed fast asleep at 2pm, with no thought for anyone other than himself, and I'm sat on my own - it hurts (although I don't begrudge them don't get me wrong). You do get used to it though but it's so bl88dy unfair. This is why we try to go on holiday as often as we can because it's something normal we can do and gives us something nice to look forward to.

Anyway back to things I CAN do something about.

The aim is to lose at least 1lb this week so that I don't have to pay at WW on Saturday. Of course this isn't just going to drop off on its own so I have a plan

I'll stick to my points all week and have devised a menu plan for the week as follows:

Breakfasts Monday to Friday will be porridge (I'm not a big breakfast person and can only face plain porridge or dry toast first thing, anything with flavour is out of the equation until at least 9am)

Work lunches will be homemade zero point tomato and chickpea soup.

Snacks will be WW choc bars/biscuits and fruit.

Evening meals:

Today - ginger salmon with spicy dhal (make two portions of the dhal and save one for Tuesday)= 0 points

Monday - 2 vegetable sausages, roast swede and butternut squash, vegetables = 6 points

Tuesday - Spicy dhal, prawns and mini naan = 4 points

Wednesday - aubergine parmigiana = 5 points

Thursday - vegetable stir fry and noodles = 6 points

Friday - fish, butternut squash chips and veg = 4 points

Do at least 20,000 steps every day this week plus go to the work gym at lunchtime for 30 minutes 3 times this week.

3 alcohol free days this week.

That's the plan Ideally I'd like to lose 10lbs before we go to Lanzarote which would take me 4lbs under goal.

Finances have been done and the latest is:

VSP £85.42
    Emergency fund £1685.31/£10,000
    Save for new dining room floor £0

£50 left in spend pot
    £70 left in groceries pot

Balance on cc is £78.38 - might leave this until payday to clear as not due until early February.

Still need to empty my purse and have a count up when Mr SA is out of earshot. I'm calling this MSP (my sealed pot).

In other news, DD's wardrobe is finally finished However, it's not the best put together piece of furniture and is mainly held together with glue and tacks - but it's functional.

Picked up the Mail today and got the WW food diary which will come in useful in the next few weeks. Told them about the swapped supplements yesterday and they had a look around but couldn't find any spares. There are recipes in the Mail all week which I might pick up but only if they look like something I'd make as I have loads of WW cookbooks and recipes cut out of magazines. I find a lot of the recipes involve meat and eggs neither of which I eat.

Hope everyone is having a fab weekend.

Not looking forward to a full working week next week - boo hiss
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 30,579 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your meal plan looks very healthy SA, you'll soon shift the weight at that rate .

It must be very difficult for you coping with the change in your situation and knowing things won't improve. You are amazing at coping with your situation and staying cheerful most of the time.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,516 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Emptied out my purse - now have £21.64 in my shopping pot
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Meal and fitness plans all looking good SA. And I love your new MSP! Good on yer!

If anyone deserves holidays it’s you. I think we probably have the same work patterns - really early start in the morning ( I cant eat first thing either), then a full-on long day. The difference is you go home and have to start all over again and I can flop in a chair and not have to bother about anyone. And re Facebook - don’t you wonder sometimes whether all those perfect seeming lives are rather fake sometimes?

Let’s enjoy the rest of our evening before the 5 day work return!

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,516 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Something to raise a smile on a Sunday evening - we're watching Dancing on Ice on ITV + 1, Mr SA thinks we should go ice skating
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 6,606 Posts
    • 13,841 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I am sorry but the vision of Mr SA on the ice in his scooter with his walking poles just made me splutter tea all over my keyboard
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,516 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Plus me with the dodgy ankle = Disaster on Ice
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • milann
    • By milann 7th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    milann
    Disaster on ice I know that feeling well.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,232 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Something to raise a smile on a Sunday evening - we're watching Dancing on Ice on ITV + 1, Mr SA thinks we should go ice skating
    I’m speechless.....!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 54,939 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    Whatever next
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 4,411 Posts
    • 30,579 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Now that's a programme I'd make time to watch .

Hope you've had a good Monday SA.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 8th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 51,752 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Lol at Mr SA ice skating Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 28/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,516 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello folks

I was too tired to post last night.

Doing well with my lose 1lb this week campaign. Did over 20k steps yesterday and today, went to the gym at lunchtime yesterday, have stuck to my WW points and had 2 AFDs so far this week

Beanie and EE - thank you for offering to send me the WW booklet but the Mail are sending me one

That's Monday and Tuesday done
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,820Posts Today

8,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin