Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • good advice
    • By good advice 6th Mar 13, 8:43 AM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 10,505 Thanks
    good advice
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:43 AM
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:43 AM
    Good Morning
    Years ago when I had an upright with a paper bag = I cut the bottom of the bag, emptied the dirt out. The turned the cut edge over and resealed using paper clips.
    May be you can do this with a Henry?
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.
  • Sarri
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:51 AM
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:51 AM
    I have - and it was fine. I'm not sure they'd stand up to repeated reuse but you can certainly use them twice. I just took the full bag outside, carefully shook the contents out through the round hole into a black bag (dont do it indoors, it's messy so you'll just end up having to hoover it all up again ) and put the bag back on again - no bother!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 6th Mar 13, 8:52 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 34,867 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:52 AM
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:52 AM
    Yes, you can, but you can do something even more radical if you don't have any asthmatics in the house; I've been using our dear old Henry (20+ and still going strong, although his wheels fell off about 5 years ago) without any bags at all for about 10 years now. As long as you bang out the dust from the filters regularly, you should be fine. IIRC before then, I used the cloth bag that came with our ancient Vax (it's a big house) in the Henry too; the two were completely compatible fittings-wise & could use each other's tubes & brushes, too, which was very handy.

I'd add that in fact we only have carpet on the stairs now; the rest of the house has an eclectic mixture of laminate, stone, wood, cork & tiles, so mostly we just run a broom around and only hoover about once a week. So I may not be the most useful source of information!
    Angie

GC Oct 18 - 362.70/400
    Bulk-buy purse '18 204.36/250, pet & livestock food '18 273.63/300

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
  • seeking happines
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:58 AM
    • 6th Mar 13, 8:58 AM
    i dont want to use no bag as i have two solid fuel fires and there is a certain amount of ash that goes in to the henry and i would be concerned that it wouldnt do the hoover any good ....

like the idea of cliping together the other end after emptying will try that soon... thanks
    • Emm-in-a-pickle
    • By Emm-in-a-pickle 6th Mar 13, 9:11 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    Emm-in-a-pickle
    • 6th Mar 13, 9:11 AM
    • 6th Mar 13, 9:11 AM
    When I bought my Henry I thought the proper Henry disposable bags were too expensive, so I googled and found a washable version, like a thick felt with a zip all around the bottom for emptying. I used this for ages but hated the faff as washing it was a foul task.
    Then I found my village hardware/everything shop sells a range of excellent cheapo bags. Four quid for 5 bags, and I often empty and re-use a bag. They work just fine.
    Brand name is Unifit. I`ve since discovered that there`s a stall in town indoor market that sells them too so they shouldn`t be hard to find.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 6th Mar 13, 9:18 AM
    • 6,067 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 6th Mar 13, 9:18 AM
    • 6th Mar 13, 9:18 AM
    Just slit the end and get all the dirt out, then staple 1/2" over, or use old pegs to hold the overlap in place, ok for 2/3 uses.
    There cheap on e-bay anyway., and the Henry has a back up filter, you can even use it without a bag anyway.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 6th Mar 13, 9:22 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    • 6th Mar 13, 9:22 AM
    • 6th Mar 13, 9:22 AM
    You can buy washable versions on ebay, i've been know to tip the contents out and keep using the bag when i havnet got any bags left.

I buy my bags off ebay i got 20 bags for the same that 10 would have cost me in the local hardware shop.
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • kraftykat
    • By kraftykat 9th Mar 13, 9:45 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    kraftykat
    • 9th Mar 13, 9:45 PM
    • 9th Mar 13, 9:45 PM
    Asda also sell the Numatic replacement bags 2.99 for 5 bags.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?skuId=80975671&department id=1214921923802&aisleid=1215109789266&startValue= 1
    • trulymadlydeeply_indebt!
    • By trulymadlydeeply_indebt! 9th Mar 13, 9:55 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 9,932 Thanks
    trulymadlydeeply_indebt!
    A lady I previously cleaned for NEVER bought bags - we just emptied the body of Henry once a week (and she had 2 very hairy, moulting dogs so it got a lot of hammer!) and everything worked fine.
    Decluttering junk and debt in 2016
    Debts - Vanquis 3500 1/1/16; DFD - when I'm dead with 100,000,000+ interest UPDATED Feb 2016 2739.80; DFD June 2016
    Next - 1500 1/1/16 DFD about 10 years time. UPDATED Feb 2016 1371.16; DFD July 2016
    THE GOAL IS TO HAVE NO DEBT BY THE END OF 2016
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 10th Mar 13, 2:55 PM
    • 5,858 Posts
    • 12,054 Thanks
    krlyr
    I worked in a petshop and we used a Henry hoover for cleaning out. If we were feeling really lazy we'd often just hoover all the woodshavings out of the display tanks (animals having been removed to an alternative container, obviously!), and we never bothered with bags as it needed emptying so frequently. Never had any problems, and I worked there several years without the hoover packing up (it was still going strong when I left too)
  • seeking happines
    thanks for all the ideas have cut open the end and empied the ash etc and will close it somehow
    will help a lot....especialy as my darling 15yr old has just anounced that for his birthday he wants a lathe and wood working shed to put it in as he is at collage doing carpentry he is autistic ...but cleaver with it heeee
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Mar 13, 4:27 PM
    • 12,149 Posts
    • 234,168 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I treat my Henry to a new bag every 5 years or so (if I'm feeling especially kind) otherwise just undo the end, empty and either (or both) staple and gaffer tape the old one up.

My Mum once had a cylinder vac for years with a home made cloth bag made from pillow ticking. Worked fine. It's now demoted from house vac to workshop vac (and still works).

A builder told me Henry vacs can even suck up rubble if you leave the bag. I'll take his word for it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Rebootuk
    • By Rebootuk 4th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rebootuk
    Argos 10 bags for 4.99 hardly breaking the bank?
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 5th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 6,630 Thanks
    t14cy t
    I never use the bags on a henry, straight out into the bin once a week instead. our henry is now used for work ( property maintenance) and cleaning out the car as dyson is used indoors. never had a problem with henry and have had him 10 years or more!
    • PhilEB
    • By PhilEB 13th Oct 18, 3:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PhilEB
    If you want to...
    As most people have said there's no need to use the bag at all but if you want to just snip off one corner and use a couple of bulldog clips to reseal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,576Users online

Martin's Twitter