Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whizzing
    • By whizzing 9th May 07, 9:41 AM
    • 296Posts
    • 188Thanks
    whizzing
    Gluten Free help needed urgently
    • 9th May 07, 9:41 AM
    Gluten Free help needed urgently 9th May 07 at 9:41 AM
    My mum is having visitors this afternoon and one is on a gluten free diet and the other is vegetarian. I suspect they are only coming for a snack but obviously my mums usual cakes and biscuits are out. What could she buy at the corner shop or out of the cupboard for a snack for them. She will probably have soup in the freezer made from vegetables and yellow split peas. Would this be any good?
Page 1
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 9th May 07, 9:55 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 9th May 07, 9:55 AM
    • 9th May 07, 9:55 AM
    Hi whizzing,

Some of the replies on this older thread might help:

gluten free goodies

Pink
    • suzy g
    • By suzy g 9th May 07, 10:02 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    suzy g
    • 9th May 07, 10:02 AM
    • 9th May 07, 10:02 AM
    hi i have coeliac disease, home made soup will be fine, peas lentil, and corn is fine, but no pearl barley, as long as she hasnt thicken it with wheat flour, this soup will be alright, corner shops often dont cater for gluten free diets, but most supermarkets now do a range gluten free cakes and biscuits
    suzy
    Vegan and veg grower Nov 2015
    instagramer of food.... sue_the_plantbased
    • whizzing
    • By whizzing 9th May 07, 10:03 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    whizzing
    • 9th May 07, 10:03 AM
    • 9th May 07, 10:03 AM
    Thanks for your reply Pink. Do you know if margarine,syrup, Mars Bars and Chocolate are gluten free. As well as rice crispies?? Where could I find out?
    • suzy g
    • By suzy g 9th May 07, 10:04 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    suzy g
    • 9th May 07, 10:04 AM
    • 9th May 07, 10:04 AM
    mars bars are, so is marg and also ordinary chcolate not rice crispies has they hve barley malt in them
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 9th May 07, 10:05 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 9th May 07, 10:05 AM
    • 9th May 07, 10:05 AM
    There's also this older thread:

- Gluten free the Old Style way

Margarine and syrup will be gluten free. Most chocolate will be (but not Smarties).

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • kaaloo
    • 9th May 07, 10:12 AM
    • 9th May 07, 10:12 AM
    Hi there

Gluten free can be mine field to negotiate.

Just to let you know that I attended the Coeliacs Society AGM a couple of weeks back and was very surprised to learn that the 2007/08 Coeliac Soc food handbook does not include Mars Bars in it and is therefore regarded as being unsuitable for coeliacs
    Bismillah
    • whizzing
    • By whizzing 9th May 07, 10:21 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    whizzing
    • 9th May 07, 10:21 AM
    • 9th May 07, 10:21 AM
    Thanks for all your replies. I thought she could make Mars Bar Crispies but I see that rice crispies do include barley. So I will have to think again. I will check if she has soup in the freezer and exactly what is in it!! Failing that what about Cheese, Apples and Grapes??? Are there any biscuits you can use eg. those rice circular things? I think it is great how much help you get in these chat forums
    • suzy g
    • By suzy g 9th May 07, 10:25 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    suzy g
    • 9th May 07, 10:25 AM
    • 9th May 07, 10:25 AM
    yes rice cakes are fine
  • kaaloo
    Sorry
    I forgot to add, there are zillions of everyday products that can be eaten by coeliacs without issue.

Rice crispies and coco pops are considered fine even though they have small amounts of barley.

Big supermarkets are very inconsistent with their labelling -some items clearly say Gluten Free when others have no wording at all but can be eaten.

Iceland have one of the best labelling - if they dont mention the words "CONTAINS GLUTEN" on the pack, it is supposed to be ok (thats what their Cust Serv told me).

Avoid cakes, breads, biscuits - just stick to soups, salads, meats. fish, fruits but make sure theres no wheat, barley, rye etc hidden in the ingredients.

I just discovered M&M sweets are gluten free!
    Bismillah
    • suzy g
    • By suzy g 9th May 07, 11:01 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    suzy g
    blimey i have been eating mars bars for months i thought i read in my hand book that they were fine? also i have avouded rice krispies as i saw malt in them, so i am pleased about that as i used to love rice krispies, i think i need to read my newer hand book
  • kaaloo
    Suzyg - it was taken out of the latest book so its best to air on the side of caution.
    Bismillah
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,017Posts Today

7,403Users online

Martin's Twitter