Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 8th May 07, 11:39 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Great 'Ways to keep cool' Hunt
    • 8th May 07, 11:39 AM
    The Great 'Ways to keep cool' Hunt 8th May 07 at 11:39 AM
    As we've already had a taste of summer, I thought it worth tapping MoneySavers knowledge for ways to keep cool if and when it gets hot this year. If you leave it until the sun is sweltering, prices shoot up. So what can you do now to keep the house cool for less?

To add your ideas, please click reply and post below.

Martin

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 08-05-2007 at 7:36 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Canucklehead
    • By Canucklehead 8th May 07, 12:38 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 3,371 Thanks
    Canucklehead
    • 8th May 07, 12:38 PM
    • 8th May 07, 12:38 PM
    Good afternoon: The Energy Saving Trust has produced a guide to reducing overheating in the home http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/uploads/documents/housingbuildings/CE129%20-%20reducing%20overheating%20a%20designers%20guide. pdf

..perhaps a bit technical but a start!

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
    • ems2
    • By ems2 8th May 07, 8:08 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    ems2
    • 8th May 07, 8:08 PM
    • 8th May 07, 8:08 PM
    Really cant be a worse time for posting ths as i am sitting in a jumper with my heating on however....Put a wet towel in the freezer and put it on your feet when you go to bed. This is for when it is really hot and so most excess will evaporate and not wet the bed too much
    • Woby_Tide
    • By Woby_Tide 9th May 07, 11:55 AM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 1,965 Thanks
    Woby_Tide
    • 9th May 07, 11:55 AM
    • 9th May 07, 11:55 AM
    freeze a 2 litre bottle filled with water, then stand it on a plate in front of a fan in a room you want to 'air condition' (but make sure the water won't get near the fan)

only lasts a while but for a short term quick fix to cool a kids room for bedtime was ideal for us last year

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 15-05-2007 at 8:25 PM.
    • teeb
    • By teeb 9th May 07, 1:00 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    teeb
    • 9th May 07, 1:00 PM
    • 9th May 07, 1:00 PM
    Cheap ice lollies

Either buy the moulds from supermarkets and fill with diluting juice, or use the slimmest (plastic) glasses you can find in your house, fill with juice, add a stick (cocktail stick / chopstick / old washed lolly stick) and use elastic bands to keep the stick in place if needed, and then freeze overnight.

And voila, ice lollies that only cost as much as the diluting juice involved. And you can obviously reuse the molds over and over again.

Warning - if you use a big glass you might not be able to fit the whole thing in your mouth! I accidently made a huge one the other week and it took me an hour to finish off...
  • liz313
    • 9th May 07, 1:17 PM
    keeping cool
    • 9th May 07, 1:17 PM
    I feel ill when it is really hot so I fill a plant spray bottle with cold water and put it in the fridge and go back and forth and keep spraying myself and others with it.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 9th May 07, 1:25 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 9th May 07, 1:25 PM
    • 9th May 07, 1:25 PM
    keep your cleanser, toner and moisturiser in the fridge too.
  • mjr600
    • 9th May 07, 3:12 PM
    • 9th May 07, 3:12 PM
    Put you clothes in a sealed plastic bag then put them in the fridge the night before you need them, or for a real chill use the freezer.

Is this VIZ or MSE ?

Or get an air conditioner.
    Last edited by mjr600; 09-05-2007 at 3:14 PM.
  • cb11
    • 9th May 07, 6:49 PM
    • 9th May 07, 6:49 PM
    I wish I'd read these tips before buying an airconditioner! he he

I've just bought an Airwell aircon unit for our small office, it cost 470 and I need to stick a hose out of the window. Our office is about 260sq.ft and it doesn't cool it! So I was searching for another unit when I came across this on Google for 455.

http://www.cool-rooms.co.uk/howtobuy/april_promo.html

I phoned them up to ask if they'd still do that price, they said that even though it's last months promotion, they'd still honour the price if bought through the web site.

I'm now waiting for delivery.
  • Kernow Kid
    A simple idea, easily explained.
    Open both a downstairs window and an upstairs window.
    As heat rises, it will escape through the upper window, thus drawing in cooler air through the downstairs, even causing a slight draught on still nights.
    This does work, I've been doing it for years.
    Just make sure your windows are secure!
    Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave!
  • KTee
    Keep cool
    Last year I bought a battery powered 'personal' fan from local petrol station it cost all of £1.50, the difference was that it incorporated a water atomiser in the centre of the impeller.
    I used it whilst walking in the Alps in midsummer. Our mountain guides were ecstatic about it it was so effective. I foolishly gave it away to one of them and haven't been able to replace it. If you see one, buy it!
    • Chriskim
    • By Chriskim 9th May 07, 10:55 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Chriskim
    I bought a 16" fan on a stand for £19.95 in Tesco last week, which I think is good value.

I, too, feel ill in very hot weather. I have two 6ft patio doors in the living room, facing south, and I was wondering if vertical blinds would keep the room cooler than drawing the curtains.
  • Fleeting Glimpse
    Aren't we supposed to open all windows after sun goes down for as long as possible then at around 11am close all windows and blinds/curtains. I try this every year...always give in and open the windows though:confused:

Get as much insulation as you can in that loft etc and around your hot water cylinder and hot pipes.

Turn off TVs n PC's...they give out loads of heat.
    • Cacran
    • By Cacran 10th May 07, 7:35 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Cacran
    Put your wrists in a bowl of freezing cold water, something to do with pulse points I think. Oh you don't have to have them immersed for more than a few minutes but the cooling effect lasts for a while.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 15-05-2007 at 1:13 PM.
    Keep on trucking!
  • Hapless
    My kids have a internal thermostasis disorder (?) so we have to have ceiling fans in their rooms at nights. (good old economy 7)
    Otherwise if you have a loft , leave the loft hatch open about an inch (I put an old net curtain under mine to stop spidies sneaking through) as it gives somewhere else for the heat to escape.
    Put aloe vera gel on and stand in front of a fan...brrrr.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget 420

Wk 1 27.10
    Wk 2 78.06
    Wk 3 163.06
    Wk 4
    • Millennium
    • By Millennium 10th May 07, 8:27 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Millennium
    Close your curtains!
    Close you bedroom curtains during the day, with the windows slightly open if safe to do so. The thicker the curtains the better.
  • FunkyMunkey
    I heard that DJ Johnno Coleman suggest sticking a bowl of ice water under your desk at work, then just sit with your feet in it all day and it will keep you cool.

You might get some strange looks, though
  • beezel_bug
    On a train or underground I found that having a pack of wet wipes with you to wipe your face helps to cool you down quicker. Combine that with chilled bottle of water, helps everytime
  • Daisies
    Fill a (glass) bottle with tap water and keep in the fridge for drinking - you don't need to buy bottled water or run the tap until it's cold then.
    Don't do it with plastic bottles though - tastes skanky!
  • Teecee
    Point a fan out the window
    Come evening, I open windows downstairs and turn on a large fan pointing OUT of our upstairs bedrom window. The fan pushes the hot air out of the house, pulling cool air in from outside (cool air has to come in to equalize the slightly negative pressure caused by the fan).

My wife thinks I'm slightly weird for doing that but it helps keep her comfortable at night.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

2,029Users online

Martin's Twitter