Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pogie2
    • By pogie2 20th Feb 13, 3:51 PM
    • 90Posts
    • 365Thanks
    pogie2
    Thin or thick what's the difference
    • 20th Feb 13, 3:51 PM
    Thin or thick what's the difference 20th Feb 13 at 3:51 PM
    Sorry if this is a silly question but what is the difference between thin and thick bleach, other than consistency obviously. As far as i can work out there is none.
    I have always bought thick bleach but have no idea why. I have just got some thin bleach in sainsburys for 20pish and am now wondering why i ever bought thick for 4 times the price.
    I have assumed in the past that thick bleach is stronger so i would need less but after checking the labelling it appears to be the same.
    Debt Free by Xmas 2013 No #131 1199/2,000
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2013 No #55 33.90
Page 1
    • esmf73
    • By esmf73 20th Feb 13, 4:10 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 14,248 Thanks
    esmf73
    • 20th Feb 13, 4:10 PM
    • 20th Feb 13, 4:10 PM
    Think thick bleach "clings" to the bowl!!!
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card 250
  • Tryingagainandagain
    • 20th Feb 13, 4:15 PM
    • 20th Feb 13, 4:15 PM
    Yes - the clinginess is really the only difference that I was aware of.
    • RAS
    • By RAS 20th Feb 13, 4:54 PM
    • 27,996 Posts
    • 48,414 Thanks
    RAS
    • 20th Feb 13, 4:54 PM
    • 20th Feb 13, 4:54 PM
    Thin bleach is good for burns, thick bleach is not (actually I think thick bleach has detergent/washing up liquid in it).
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 20th Feb 13, 5:15 PM
    • 20,040 Posts
    • 46,413 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 20th Feb 13, 5:15 PM
    • 20th Feb 13, 5:15 PM
    I use a lot less of the thick bleach and even less of Domestos, a bottle lasts a good month-6weeks, thin only a week or 2, for me the thin is false economy and it's a bloomin nuisance when I keep running out. It's one of the very few things that I will splash out for on branded.

I guess though it depends on what you use it for and where you use it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • TimBear
    • 20th Feb 13, 5:44 PM
    • 20th Feb 13, 5:44 PM
    I use a lot less of the thick bleach and even less of Domestos, a bottle lasts a good month-6weeks, thin only a week or 2, for me the thin is false economy and it's a bloomin nuisance when I keep running out. It's one of the very few things that I will splash out for on branded.

I guess though it depends on what you use it for and where you use it.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    May I ask why branded and not just supermarket own thick bleach? I'm only curious!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 20th Feb 13, 6:46 PM
    • 20,040 Posts
    • 46,413 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 20th Feb 13, 6:46 PM
    • 20th Feb 13, 6:46 PM
    I still don't find own brand is as thick or clingy as Domestos so I still end up using more of it.

I can really tell the difference on my bath, I have a spa bath and tend to get limescale below the jets where the water trickles out when you empty the bath, if I squirt own brand on it it runs just runs down an pools in the bath, whereas domestos stays where I put it and gets rid of the limescale.

I also find in the loo it lasts 3-4 flushes, own brand goes after 1-2 flushes.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 20th Feb 13, 6:51 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 20th Feb 13, 6:51 PM
    I was told that if you're using it to get rid of mould then you shouldn't use the thick stuff, as the thickeners can act as a food source for the mould and it won't help the problem. No idea if this is true though - I use the Dettol stuff as it's got added fungicides.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 20th Feb 13, 6:51 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 15,032 Thanks
    oldtractor
    I find vinegar best for getting rid of limescale. it dissolves it.
    • Rainy-Days
    • By Rainy-Days 20th Feb 13, 7:20 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 14,454 Thanks
    Rainy-Days
    I only use the big bottles of thin bleach (Value or Basics cheapo) for my drains and mainly in the summer months to keep the drains smelling nice.

I use thick bleach for down the loo and a squirt in a bucket of hot soapy water makes cleaning the hard floors a doddle. I tend to buy Sainsbury's own brand scented bleach (thick) and that does the job.
    • lkgreenwell
    • By lkgreenwell 22nd Jan 19, 7:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lkgreenwell
    Bleach problem
    I was taught, (by a Blackpool landlady!), to add a small prtion of thin bleach to washing up, primarilly to keep tea cups clean. They appear to have stopped selling it locally, (Sunderland), and I've had to start using thick bleach instead. I am far from sure that this is safe, but am sick and fed up of greasy washing up
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 23rd Jan 19, 6:15 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    firebubble
    Are you wiping up the grease with kitchen towel and putting it in the bin first? Don't contribute to fatbergs!

Also, are you washing up in the right order? Clear glasses first, then cups etc, with greasy pans last?

Also, are you using enough dish soap/detergent? Once the bubbles have gone, it has done it's job, so you need to change the water and add more soap.

If you all three, you won't get greasy cups and so you won't need to use what is a very toxic chemical on your crockery.
    • spannermonkey.ch
    • By spannermonkey.ch 16th Apr 19, 2:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    spannermonkey.ch
    The chemical formula of household bleach is NaClO (sodium hypochlorite).
    Household bleach generally has all the same formula or the seller cannot call
    it Bleach, all that's added is a thickener to make so called "Thick Bleach" and/or a perfume maybe citrus...
    So in short there is no quality or potency difference between Tesco 32p so called "cheap thin bleach" and Domestos thick bleach 2.50.
    I know all this useless stuff as I used to make it!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

4,251Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin