Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 44
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Jun 18, 9:35 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    jpsartre
    The only explanation I can think of is the flight was overbooked, and after a certain number of passengers had gone through security they simply declared the flight as cancelled for everyone who hadn't dropped their luggage and gone through security.
    Originally posted by Sportacus

That's not what would have happened. It's weird though, flight looks like it took off as you said (although slightly late).
    • Westin
    • By Westin 5th Jun 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Westin
    Flightradar24 shows DI7505 on 2 June as operated. Scheduled ex LGW 2230, departed 2302. Operated on G-CKWC.

All rather fishy.
    • Sportacus
    • By Sportacus 6th Jun 18, 8:18 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Sportacus
    yep, really strange. Here's the photo I took showing the cancelled notice:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmGtZYDBXzj8hZMzTnvJxdpEWQS7wA
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Jun 18, 8:28 AM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I think you need to get a hold of Norwegian to find out what's going on.
    • Sportacus
    • By Sportacus 6th Jun 18, 10:15 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Sportacus
    I've got another hypothesis, maybe they had a cabin crew shortage so couldn't take any passengers, but flew the plane out there anyway because it was needed for the return flight to the UK the next day (otherwise they would have to cancel that one too). An empty plane may still appear on flightrader.

The text I got from them just said the cancellation was for 'operational' reasons. I looked up about EU compensation, and it seems to all hang on the reason for the cancellation and if it was the airlines fault, or due to circumstances beyond their control (I guess staff sickness could be one of those).
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Jun 18, 10:16 AM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Yes, that's a possibility.
    • srrn
    • By srrn 6th Jun 18, 12:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    srrn
    Thanks for the quick reply jpsartre, that's good news!
    • Starrio
    • By Starrio 6th Jun 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Starrio
    Missed our connecting flight where do I stand?
    Hello everyone!

A bit of background my girlfriend bought a holiday for us to Belgrade serbia for my birthday, she booked the flights going with vueling. The flight going out was a connecting flight Gatwick to Barcelona, Barcelona to Belgrade. The first flight to Barcelona was held up due wrong seating, 20 people apparently missing on the flight ect, we was waiting for 2 hours on the plane before taking off. When arriving at Barcelona we went straight to the help desk because we missed our connecting flight, we was told the next flight to Belgrade would be in 24hours and they will provide a hotel or they can put us on the next flight back to Gatwick. Being absolutely distraught and not wanting to miss anymore time (only a long weekend trip) we managed to bargain a flight back to London from barcelona on Wednesday and managed to book acomodation for barcelona there and then, changing the holiday to a holiday in Barcelona. (We paid for acomodation).

I just have a few questions regarding compensation and trying to recuperate some money for the trip, my questions are as follows;

Are we eligible for compensation?
    If so will it only be my girlfriend eligible for compensation seeing as she paid for the tickets?
    Will we be able to claim for lost acomodation in Belgrade?
    We both have travel insurance, would we both be able to claim for cancellations through there?
    What's the best action for making a claim in this situation?

The outgoing flight had the same reference number for both flights,

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through this and I look forward to hearing your answers

Kind regards,
    Dave.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 6th Jun 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Put your flight details into euclaim and bottonline and see what they say
    • Westin
    • By Westin 6th Jun 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Westin
    Good that you took a picture of that checkin area.

Please update the thread with news.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Jun 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Are we eligible for compensation?
    Originally posted by Starrio

Depends on why the flight was cancelled. I don't really understand what happened based on what you've said.

If so will it only be my girlfriend eligible for compensation seeing as she paid for the tickets?

If the cancellation was due to non-extraordinary circumstances both of you are due compensation although it might be easier if your girlfriend claims for both of you.

Will we be able to claim for lost acomodation in Belgrade?

Not from the airline but possibly from your travel insurance depending on your policy.

We both have travel insurance, would we both be able to claim for cancellations through there?

Depends on what your policy covers, talk to your insurance provider.

What's the best action for making a claim in this situation?
    Make a claim from Vueling for EU compensation and see what they say. They should also refund the full cost of your ticket.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 6th Jun 18, 9:18 PM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    JPears
    I would suggest downloading Vauban's superb guide as your starting point. Most, if not all of your answers are there.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Sportacus
    • By Sportacus 7th Jun 18, 12:37 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Sportacus
    Managed to get through to them on web chat and they confirmed I would be getting a refund. No indication of when though, nor any explanation for the cancellation. Frustrating, they charged my credit card fast enough when I paid for the tickets, and now they are earning interest while I am paying it.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 7th Jun 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Norwegian refunds are pretty quick IME. If you wish to pursue EU compensation you need to determine the reason for the cancellation.
    • Mr Nibz
    • By Mr Nibz 14th Jun 18, 10:40 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mr Nibz
    Resolution to EnterAir issue
    Well despite what others may say I have to congratulate the CAA on their handling of my issue. All has now been resolved to my (and I must presume EnterAirs) satisfaction. Not able to say any more lest I get myself in any trouble with the NDA. Anyone still having issues, try the CAA and submit as much info and documentation as you can to help them with the case, but be prepared for a bit of a wait while they work their magic. Regards Mr Nibz
    • pumba23
    • By pumba23 19th Jun 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pumba23
    Hi All

I have quite a niche question.

About 2 weeks ago, I was due to fly back from a stag-do in Hamburg to Bristol (via Brussels) with Brussels Airlines. Unfortunately, due to a massive short circuit at the airport, the entire power grid of the airport closed down and my flight (at 7pm in the evening) was cancelled, eventually, at 6pm (along with all other flights).

The kicker was that I needed to be back in the UK that evening because I had a family holiday which I was due to a fly out on the day after - departing at lunch time from London to Marseille. Hamburg Airport wasn't guaranteed to be open the next day, and all early flights to London from 'nearby' airports (like Berlin) were booked up by people who had had their flights cancelled sooner.

I ended up having to go straight to Marseille on a train from Hamburg (16 hours from north Germany to South France, probably very scenic and nice if I hadn't been hungover and grumpy about the whole situation). The incident has led to me being over 300 out of pocket (90 to tell British Airways - who I was flying with the next day - that I couldn't make the outgoing flight, and therefore change my booking to a return only, and 220 for the train).

I know I am entitled to a flight refund from Brussels Airlines for the cancelled flight, no matter what. I may also be entitled to some basic amenities such as the taxi back from the airport and the hostel I stayed in overnight. However, I don't think I'm entitled to compensation as it would be classed as an 'extraordinary circumstance' - it was the airport's failure and it was out of their hands.

My question is whether or not I can claim compensation from the airport for their failure to maintain their systems properly (in a similar way in which an airline would be liable if their systems had failed)?

Many thanks in advance
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 19th Jun 18, 12:00 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    jpsartre
    My question is whether or not I can claim compensation from the airport for their failure to maintain their systems properly (in a similar way in which an airline would be liable if their systems had failed)?
    Originally posted by pumba23

Not under EU261.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 19th Jun 18, 1:02 PM
    • 4,359 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    JPears
    What were you offered in terms of re-routing by Brussels Airline. They still have that duty of care under regualtion. Which may mean you can claim your rail fare as this was your own route home that was convenient to you. They don't need to know that you never actually got back to UK?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 19th Jun 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,581 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Surely you're not suggesting that duty of care obligates an airline to pay for train transport to Marseilles for a passenger booked to fly to Bristol?
    • slinga
    • By slinga 19th Jun 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    slinga
    Five of usin our group were delayed over 4 hours on Easyjet from Bristol a few years ago, ostensibly because of a fire in the baggage handling area.

All other flights were back in operation after an hour or so except our flight which as I say was over 4 hours delayed.
    I suspect that Easyjet thought the delay would be a long one and decided to send our plane off somewhere else and then couldn't get a plane or crew available until much later.

Seems a straight forward case of deserved compensation for all passengers on our flight but 'we never got nothing, mate'.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,940Posts Today

8,415Users online

Martin's Twitter