Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 39
    • TEEP
    • By TEEP 6th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TEEP
    Not sure what to claim for...?
    Hi all,

I booked a return flight business class to Sao Paulo (VCP) through Opodo with a transfer in Lisbon with TAP airways. On checking in at LHR I noticed the baggage tag said GRU as its destination (GRU is 3hrs drive away from VCP). The check-in desk guy told me to talk to ticketing who told be I needed to sort it out in Lisbon.

I called Opodo who said the airline had changed the booking.

On arriving in Lisbon the gate staff told me there was no record of me on the original flight and my bag was already on the new flight so I couldn't do anything about it. The new flight downgraded me to Economy as well.

So, as far as I can see I may be able to claim for being:

1. Denied boarding
    2. Downgraded
    3. More than 3hrs late at my original destination (the new light left 30 mins earlier but I had to drive 3hrs to get back to the original destination airport VCP)

How do I tackle this and can I claim for the lot?

Thanks
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 7th Apr 18, 12:30 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    This is going to be one of those cases where the facts have to be established first. 1. Have you checked your ticket and, if so, what did it say?
    2. You may find that the airline told Opodo of the change but Opodo didn't tell you.
    3. I assume that you didn't double check your booking a day or two beforehand
    Last edited by legal magpie; 07-04-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 7th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    Yes, you need to be asking alot of questions of opodo. If they confirmed your original journey but never actually booked it, that's breach of contract.
    Equally if TAP changed the flight, case law and regulations put the onus on the airline, even with an intermediary, to in form you.
    I do wonder why people use these third-party booking agents. Very rarely is it cheaper, there is little security and most of them don't want to know if there's a problem.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • TEEP
    • By TEEP 7th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TEEP
    i was notified in advance by TAP via email that the flight time had changed. Given that it was TAP and not Opodo that handled this, I would assume they were supposed to be doing it on the outbound journey too.

The TAP staff at the gate also didn't have any idea what was going on anyway.

One point I am particularly interested in is the failure to get me to the booked destination - is close to the same city enough or are there further consequences? I booked to VCP airport, they delivered me to GRU and did not offer (or give when I asked) any means to get back to VCP.

Have they breached their contact of carriage?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 7th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    You have changed your story. You gave the impression that the first you knew about the change was when you arrived at the airport. Now you say you were told in advance but you don't say how far in advance or what action, if any, you took when you found out. If you don't give us the correct information, how can we give a sensible answer?
    • TEEP
    • By TEEP 10th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TEEP
    Sorry, I posted whilst waiting at the airport - I had been awake for rather a long time and wasn't very clear. To clarify:

Outbound Flight - No advance notification, placed on different plane, downgraded, arrived at different airport 120km away from original destination (GRU rather than VCP), no help getting to VCP after landing.

The lack of notification is irritating, however I am more interested in claiming for the downgrade and possibly late arrival. The flight had a transfer in LIS and it was the 2nd leg from here to Sao Paulo that was the issue. I calculated it represented 80% of the distance, therefore I should get 40% back of teh total trip cost (x0.5 as it only affected outbound journey, then x0.8 for 80% of distance travelled affected by downgrade). Is this sensible?

Late arrival is more difficult because no flights were late, I just ended up a long way from my original destination, arguably more than 4 hrs once you take into account the time to get baggage, organise new transport and battle through Sao Paulo rush hour traffic.

Return Flight - Received advanced notification of change in flight time, flight 11hrs late arriving in London, went to LHR rather than LCY which was originally booked, no help getting to LCY after landing.

For this flight the late arrival is without contest, however should I pursue anything else purely for the change in destination airport?

Hope that clears things up a bit. Next time I'll wait until I have some proper sleep before positing.
    Last edited by TEEP; 10-04-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    As said before, I think you need to be asking alot of questions to Opodo.
    As magpie siad - what does your ticket actually say int erms of each travle leg there and back?
    If the booking confirmation/ticket shows the airports you thought wereear that Opodo booked you correctly but TAP made the changes. If the original booking confirmation/ ticket shows the changed airports then you potentially have no case for compensation at all. (but I suspect this is not the case from what you tell us)
    Who informed you of the change to the return journey and how many dyas before the flight?
    I think you need to give us more detail - dates/ timimgs/ flight numbers etc.

• calmstellar
    • By calmstellar 14th Apr 18, 11:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    calmstellar
    48 hours for replacement flight after bad weather cancellation
    My flight from Lisbon to London City was cancelled due to fog at London City. No problem with the cancellation, and understand I'm not entitled to compensation for that.

However, TAP offered zero support, zero information, a phone number that no one answered (on hold for 45+ minutes), customer service lines in the airport that I waited in for 2+ hours before giving up, and a twitter response that simply said they couldn't guarantee they'd refund any expenses.

In the end, I flew back to London Heathrow 2 days later.

Even ignoring the lack of communication, in my view 48 hours wasn't a reasonable time to get me back to London when they could have put me on a flight with another airline, given London to Lisbon isn't exactly short on flights, and it was only London City that was disrupted?

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks

James
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 27th Apr 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Bumped for advice
    • JPears
    • By JPears 27th Apr 18, 11:40 PM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    Download Vaubans guide.

• susanmc12
    • By susanmc12 29th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    susanmc12
    Travelling to isle of man
    My flight in November from Miami to Isle of Man via Dublin was cancelled after an aborted take off. They carried out repair while we were on board but crew then went over their hours. The bused us to a hotel and I arranged alternative flights the next day.
    Aerlingus have denied my claim. The Irish aviation association never replied. While passing through Douglas airport I noticed the posters listing rights under European law and it seemed as same as rest of europe.
    Am I entitled to compensation. Aerlingus said no but wouldn't tell me why not.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 29th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Justice13075
    google and download vaubans guide and read.
    • Rooster_uk
    • By Rooster_uk 11th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rooster_uk
    Cathay Pacific, compo offered.
    Me and my Fiancee travelled from Cairns Australia, back to Manchester via HKG with a 12 hour stop before flights.
    We planned to go into Kowloon and buy a few gifts and have a meal.
    The flight from Cairns was delayed 4hr 50 min. We got to HKG, jumped the train, but were only in Kowloon 30 minutes, then returned to airport for check in.
    They then altered the gate, but did not announce this on the tanoy and literally minutes before scheduled boarding, we found out gate had changed and had to rush to the new gate. We were then subject to another 40 minute delay.
    We have wrote to Cathay Pacific and it does take a while for a response.
    We got an offer in the way of an apology of $200 AUD (£148.00) for the two of use, but in travel vouchers.
    I wrote back and told them I was not happy with that offer.
    I have today received a new offer in that it is the same £148.00 for both of us, but in cash.

Is there any other channels of claiming compensation, or money back please?
    TIA Karl and Dawn
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 11th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 11,191 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Caz3121
    EU261 does not apply as a non-EU airline departing outside the EU. You can check the conditions of carriage but I suspect you have a goodwill gesture offer. Maybe try your travel insurance?
    • peter_333
    • By peter_333 11th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    peter_333
    TAP cancel flight 10 days in advance and I'm not happy with rebooked alternative
    Hi all,

I'm travelling to Lisbon next week for a holiday, and I’ve received an email from TAP Portugal to alert me that my returning flight has a "schedule change" (this is 10 days before the scheduled return). Looking at the booking, it is clear they have cancelled my original return from Lisbon to London City (16:40 departure) and changed me to the morning flight (06:55 departure). The flight number is different, and the “Manage Booking” section of their website states clearly it is due to cancellation of my original flight.

I’m not happy with the newly booked flight, as the early morning departure means we loose the last day of our already short trip, and I really don’t want to be getting up at 4am to make the trip home.

The flight was booked through Expedia, who have told me I do have a right to cancel the flight and get a refund, and then I can book a more suitable return flight. When prompted, they agreed I should also be entitled to additional compensation, due to the cancellation happening within two weeks before departure and the new return flight time begin “significantly different”.

My understanding is that the compensation would be €400 per person (flight is 1590km).

My concern with cancelling, booking a new flight and asking for compensation, is that TAP might argue I didn’t give them a second chance to suggest other reroutings as an alternative to the early morning departure. In this situation, am I under any obligation to give TAP the chance to suggest alternatives (all of which would be into a different airport, or via a different carrier with a stopover)? Or am I perfectly within my rights to cancel based on the rebooking they’ve made, and claim compensation?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 11th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    I would check out suitable alternative flights first and then give TAP the option to reroute you onto that flight BUT you should make sure that there are seats on it. But you don't have to do it. You have the option to cancel, claim a refund and compensation and make your own booking.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 12th May 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 994 Thanks
    Westin

Do they have a service into either LGW or LHR which would be suitable for you? I would look at the TAPwebsite and play around with options for the return flight then call Expedia and tell them the alternative TAP flight you would like. TAP may or may not make the change if you call them directly.
    • peter_333
    • By peter_333 12th May 18, 9:21 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    peter_333
    Thanks Legal Magipie and Westin.

There are alternate TAP flights around the same time to either Heathrow or Gatwick. But any option they could provide is a significant annoyance compared to the original flight (we live VERY close to London City airport, and we paid extra to fly in and out of there). They could swap us to the Heathrow flight, which was an option when we booked the trip, and if we'd booked it ourselves back then, we would have saved a little money.

My preference is to book a new flight myself, and insist on compensation. I just want to be sure I'm within my rights to do this, and that TAP wouldn't be able to argue that either myself or Expedia should have given them more opportunity to correct the situation.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 12th May 18, 11:12 AM
    • 3,681 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    If you have looked at the other options and nothing is convenient they should refund you and compensation as they have given you less than 7/14 days notice.
    However what alternative options do you have re flights? If its with another airline, TAP should re-route you on that, at their expense. And still pay compensation if the alternatives are much later.

• peter_333
    • By peter_333 12th May 18, 12:18 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    peter_333
    Alternative flights to London City will all be indirect, and all options (whether with TAP or other carries) would either depart early enough or arrive late enough to still qualify for compensation. The only exception to this seems to be connecting flights combos split across multiple carries and multiple tickets, which I assume TAP wouldn't do.

Alternative flights to London Heathrow, operated by TAP, are available and within "acceptable" hours (e.g. not qualified for compensation) but as stated before, they are not only supremely inconvenient for me in comparison to London City, but I could also have bought these flights originally and saved money.

My understanding is that as Heathrow still serves London, the airport swap would disallow any claim for compensation under EU regulations. Correct?
    Last edited by peter_333; 12-05-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,197Posts Today

7,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin