Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 38
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 5th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Caz3121
    have a search for "Vauban's Guide"
    Schedule changes happen...end March is the changeover to the summer timetable so airlines will be confirming schedules/slots around now
    The airline is correct that there is no EU261 compensation payable if more than 14 days notice is given.
    Are there later flights to LIS with TAP that will reduce the layover?
    Would the refund cover the flights with other airline?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 5th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    You have fallen foul of a much wider problem which is that airlines!!!8217; terms and conditions allow them to make changes or even cancel fights without penalty ( other than a refund) provided they give reasonable notice. On the other hand, if you book a flight their conditions don!!!8217;t allow you to cancel without penalty even if you give plenty of notice, if you!!!8217;ve booked a !!!8220;supereconomy!!!8221; type of fare. This seems quite unfair.
    • Daniel1990
    • By Daniel1990 5th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daniel1990
    Thank you Caz and Legal Magpie
    That's quite shocking but I suppose something valuable to learn when booking in advance.

They have offered us a flight which alllows us to arrive in Lisbon later than planned and therfore less stop over.

The other airline has more expensive tickets about £150 pp which would depart and arrive at the same sort of times.

The hotel we have booked would charge a cancellation fee of the 1st night of around £150.

Is it right to expect that the airline will cover my cancellation fee if I decide to scrap the holiday and take their refund. From your previous reply I doubt it.
    Thank you both for your advice
    • _Anna_
    • By _Anna_ 31st Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    _Anna_
    Dear all,
    Bott has just told me "I can advise we would have jurisdiction if the first leg of the journey from MAN to HEL had effected your journey. However, since you were delayed at your final destination because of the disruption to the second leg of the journey from HEL to HKG, unfortunately we cannot help you on this occasion." Since it was a single booking, I was under impression that Bott has jurisdiction. Could anyone clarify this confusion? Anyway, if Bott does not want to continue with my case, do you know a solicitor who may help?
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 31st Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Try EuClaim
    • tonydata
    • By tonydata 6th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tonydata
    Update on ENT455 Heathrow to Heraklion last year.

Following the first offer of compensation if I signed an NDA, I sent them an NBA, as clearly offering me something is admitting it's their fault... They have responded to that with an increase in their offer, it is still half of what I see as them legally owing me and took about 3 months to arrive after the NBA...

The Mrs said just take what they've offered, but I am inclined to go back and reiterate that the amount owed is 400 euros per person...

I approached the CAA initially too, went through the hoops of raising a case etc... I actually never heard back, no response, no follow up, no communication at all! Great organisation!
    • calangley
    • By calangley 6th Feb 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    calangley
    I hope Im posting this in the right place
    I sent this to Norwegian Air

22nd November 2017
    Airline: Norwegian
    DY1349 flight delayed from Manchester to Oslo, which meant us missing out connecting flight (DY382) Oslo – Tromso.
    Very stressful internal transfer to find an alternative flight for us to get to Tromso, passed from pillar to post, finally found the correct person to speak to, we were then booked onto a new connecting flight DY328 NEW DEPARTURE TIME 19:00
    This flight was delayed hour by hour by hour, we were moved check in gates then after over 4 hours of delays our flight was cancelled!
    We then headed to customer service to get booked on the next flight and for the airline to accommodate us in a hotel.
    2am we were finally seen by customer service! After sitting on the floor waiting for 3 hours! THREE HOURS just to see customer service!
    It took the airline over 2 hours just to bring us out some water.
    By the time we were seen by customer service, stressed out and tired there were no hotels left, we were offered no accommodation! We were booked on a flight the next day at 8am (FLIGHT DY381).
    We spent the night sleeping on the floor in the airport! A very stressful start to what was meant to be a holiday of a lifetime!
    We missed our first nights booking at our hotel in Tromso VALUE OF £105
    We also missed our whale watching tour we had booked for the morning VALUE £277
    Even the flight we finally managed to board the next day was delayed, while they fuelled the plane with the passengers on it!
    The whole experience was highly stressful and the lack of organisation and solutions from Norwegian Air not acceptable!

I WAS SHOCKED WITH THIS REPLY - NO compensation because of WEATHER! its Norway! its snows ???
    Thank you for contacting us with your claim.

Unfortunately, Norwegian flight DY328 (OSL-TOS) 22.11.2017 was cancelled. This disruption was caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken*.

Although we respect your request for compensation, we’re unable to honour your claim as your flight was cancelled due to extraordinary circumstances. This is in accordance with EU regulation 261/2004 Article 5(3).

Unfortunately, we're unable to cover the expenses claimed as we're not liable for such costs. We will provide passengers with the necessary assistance during the delay such as meals, phone costs etc. Any pre-booked arrangements (e.g. connecting transport, accommodation, events etc.) will not be covered even if the disruption is within our control. Any consequential losses incurred as a result of the disruption will only be reimbursed if the reason for the disruption is within our control. For information regarding the legal basis for the reimbursement of financial losses in the event of a flight disruption, please see below**.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused by the disruption to your flight. We understand that punctuality is vital for our passengers, and Norwegian strives to ensure that all flights operate according to schedule. Regrettably, due to the nature of air travel, delays and cancellations are unavoidable and do occur from time to time. We apologise for any disappointment and discomfort caused as a result of this.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused on this occasion and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on board a Norwegian flight when you next choose to travel.

Kind regards,

Ariana
    The Customer Relations Team

I have since contacted myflightdelayed.com but they have asked for a copy of our passport, which makes me nervous, can anyone help please ?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 6th Feb 18, 3:07 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    If the cancellations/delays were due to poor weather (the response from Norwegian doesn't clarify unless you left something out?) you may as well forget it as you're not entitled to EU compensation. Was the flight from Manchester also delayed because of weather? Airlines aren't responsible for consequential losses. It sucks but these kinds of things happen when flying during wintertime. Your travel insurance may cover some of the lost costs.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 06-02-2018 at 3:09 PM.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 6th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I have since contacted myflightdelayed.com but they have asked for a copy of our passport, which makes me nervous, can anyone help please ?
    Originally posted by calangley
    have they taken the flight details and confirmed you have a valid claim? putting your flight details through EUClaim appears to agree with the airline that this was weather related so no compensation due.
    Whilst bad weather and snow may not be unusual for Norway, the test for compensation is whether the reason for the delay/cancellation is within the control of the airline...could the airline ignore a snowbound runway or ATC not giving approval to depart...no, so they cannot be made to pay compensation for these items so your travel insurance is where you should be looking at for help
    • Mr Nibz
    • By Mr Nibz 25th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mr Nibz
    3rd proposal from Enter Air
    The saga continues with my claim re ENT455 from L/GW on 29/08/2017, last month I had some more dialogue with Olympic Holidays customer service who did follow-up with Enter Air requesting they don't lose site of my claim, but that is all they did. Olympic advised me "Whilst we acknowledge your comments we cannot administer a claim on a passenger's behalf or override any decisions an airline makes as the legislation is between the affected passenger & airline in question. They then suggested that if I'm still dissatisfied I should contact the CAA. I have contacted the CAA and raised an issue with them, and forwarded all correspondence I've had with Enter Air, not sure what will come of that. But in the meantime, Friday I received the 3rd proposal from Enter Air, this time for £250 per person, a £50 increase but still £150 below their obligation. My rejection has been sent back and I await another proposal.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 25th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Mr Nibs, the problem is that you are letting them give you the run around. Assuming that you do have a valid claim, you should be toughening up. Download an# read Vauban's guide.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 25th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    JPears
    I'm less erudite than magpie.
    They are dicking you around. Take them to court.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Mr Nibz
    • By Mr Nibz 28th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mr Nibz
    3rd proposal from Enter Air re ENT455
    Legal magpie, have read Vauban's guide and see that ESCP will be the way I need to go as Enter Air do not (to my knowledge) have legal presence in the UK. As for do I have a valid claim, how do you find out the actual reason for a delay? We were advised it was a "technical difficulty" at the gate, but Enter Air have not used the term "extraordinary circumstance" in any correspondence. I'd have expected them to refuse to offer anything had I got an invalid claim yet this is the 3rd proposal they have sent me now, with each one £50 better than the last.
    • Mr Nibz
    • By Mr Nibz 28th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mr Nibz
    3rd proposal from Enter Air re ENT455
    JPears, I agree, they are, I should.

However, having read Vauban's guide and with Enter Air not having legal presence in the UK, using the ESCP may be more than I can handle myself. And looking at the NWNF companies I'm sure the compensation I'd get at the end of the day will be less than I've been offered already due to them taking their slice for their troubles.
    • dpalmer94
    • By dpalmer94 28th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dpalmer94
    My BLUEAIR Nightmare
    Hi All! Just thought I'd share the awful & ongoing experience I've had with BlueAir, any advice on what to do next would be much appreciated!

In September 2017 myself and 4 friends arrived at Liverpool John Lennon Airport expecting to get on a flight to Bucharest with BlueAir... when we arrived at the airport the flight was delayed for approx. 4 hours. After waiting for nearly this time the delay increased to just over 9 hours; "Technical Issues with the Aircraft" being the issue, so in theory nothing that couldn't have been avoided.

When we returned from the holiday, we raised a complaint / claim for the compensation we were due (as a result of EU advice for flight delays) on the BlueAir website, after a couple of weeks we received a response offering a 200EUR voucher for the airline to be used within 4 months. We responded asking for the full 400EUR pp as a bank transfer.

In December they eventually agreed and requested a mountain of information. We sent this off and we received a reply saying that the transfer would be processed shortly.
    We didn't hear anything for a few weeks, we emailed back and got a response at the end of January saying 'the transfer has been processed and was waiting authorisation from their finance department' but the payment will be with us within 14 days.
    As you can guess this never happened!

Since then we've been regularly emailing, but had no responses... until last week where they had pretty much copied the email from January, but extended the time to 30 days for the transfer.

I've taken to social media asking for someone to contact me in order to escalate the issue, they've taken the comments down from facebook, blocked me on fb & twitter. I've even tried emailing the Deputy Director of BlueAir through LinkedIn and still haven't had a response. I've submitted a complaint to the Civil Aviation Authority and sent BlueAir the reference in the hope this would give them a nudge... but still nothing...

I'm starting to run out of ideas now... if anyone has had a similar experience and can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it!

I can't believe that other airlines can manage to process these claims in a matter of weeks (in the most part) and this has taken HALF A YEAR and the case is still open!

Thanks for reading!
    DP
    • JPears
    • By JPears 28th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    JPears
    Have you received any correspondance showing a UK address? If so send an NBA to this with 14 days payment or you will take legal action via small claims in the UK. You can only do this if they have a UK address (at which they own assets.
    Having had a look at the Companies House regiter, it looks as thought Blue Air is a slippery customer as there are numerous expired/dissolved registrations over the years and no obvious UK address other than a C/O address at a legal firm.

• dpalmer94
    • By dpalmer94 28th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dpalmer94
    Unfortuntately they're romanian based with no company address in the UK... i think its why the 'Resolver' app here doesn't pick them up, and other local companies try and stay clear because they know they'll come into this issue!
    Thank you though
    • harry12345
    • By harry12345 6th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    harry12345
    Flight cancelled/rescheduled' 4 days in advance of trip
    Hi, new to the forum so apologies if posting this in the right place.

A number of months ago I booked a TAP Portugal flight from Budapest to Lisbon for April 9th. Yesterday (April 5th) I received an email to say that my booking had been changed to April 12th- three days later!

In the email there was no information about my options, only a phone number to ring for 'further information'. I rang and initially was offered a rerouting via Brussels, which was to depart 8 hours earlier (and arrive 2 hours earlier to Lisbon). This was not possible for me, so I decided to ask for a refund; fortunately there happened to be another direct flight with another airline available at a similar time to the TAP flight, and at a similar price.

Terminology wise, while the email did not use the word 'reschedule', it said 'changes' and the man on the phone said the flight had been 'cancelled'. Had the other airline's flight not been available I would have been in a very difficult position, had it been more expensive i would have been out of pocket, and it took a considerable amount of time to sort out the whole debacle. Does anyone know if I am entitled to any compensation for this?

Thanks
    • harry12345
    • By harry12345 6th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    harry12345
    Hi, new to the forum so apologies if posting this in the right place.

A number of months ago I booked a TAP Portugal flight from Budapest to Lisbon for April 9th. Yesterday (April 5th) I received an email to say that my booking had been changed to April 12th- three days later!

In the email there was no information about my options, only a phone number to ring for 'further information'. I rang and initially was offered a rerouting via Brussels, which was to depart 8 hours earlier (and arrive 2 hours earlier to Lisbon). This was not possible for me, so I decided to ask for a refund; fortunately there happened to be another direct flight with another airline available at a similar time to the TAP flight, and at a similar price.

Terminology wise, while the email did not use the word 'reschedule', it said 'changes' and the man on the phone said the flight had been 'cancelled'. Had the other airline's flight not been available I would have been in a very difficult position, had it been more expensive i would have been out of pocket, and it took a considerable amount of time to sort out the whole debacle. Does anyone know if I am entitled to any compensation for this?

Thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 6th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    JPears
    As the airline cancelled your flight with less than 2 weeks notice and the alternative was not suitable/convenient and out of certain times frames from the original, you are entitled to:
    1. Compensation under regulation 261/2004 - amount depends on the length of your flight.
    2. A full refund and any additional cost you incurred due to the alternative flight.
    Download Vauban's most sub guide for all the imfromation and template letters for your claim.
    Good luck.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,998Posts Today

7,197Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin