Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 37
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 21st Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I'm just trying to work out who's liable for this.
    Originally posted by Nookiedv
    Unless your travel insurance covers you, you are. Westjet's contract ended when they got you to LGW.
    • thunder367
    • By thunder367 3rd Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thunder367
    just return for a months holiday in thailand.was due to fly out of manchester on qatar airways got on plane all on time.after 30 mins they announced they was a problem.few more annoucements and we was took aff after 2hrs 40mins.then 5 mins later they annouced the problem had been sorted so we all boarded again.45 mins later they unloaded us.i went got a bite to eat and finally at 12pm they said the flight was cancelled so we had to go do passport and collect bags.then to qatar ticket counter to rebook our flights.after about a 1hr half coaches turned up and took us all to a hotel outside holmes chapel where they could put us up and sort our flights out and find us easily.
    about 8pm at night i found i been booked to fly at 8am the next morning so it was a full 24hr delay from leaving manchester to gettin into doha then onto my connecting flight to bangkok.
    has any one made a claim with qatar before and how did u do it direct with the airline or one of the claim companies.ive look on site can not see a claim form at all.any help would be grateful please.also on way back they damaged my bag ive made a claim before i left and should get a call this week about it.
    • Faldinio
    • By Faldinio 4th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Faldinio
    I was 24 hours delayed to Maldives due to missed connection in Doha as the outbound flight from Manchester was delayed. Booked ticket was Manchester to Male via Qatar Airways so they were liable.

I used Resolver to complain and airline dragged their feet and eventually said they weren't liable. I then had to complain to the CAA and a week or so later the CAA said that the airline WAS liable and they have contacted them. A few days later I got a better reply via resolver from Qatar Airways saying they would pay us the compensation. It was a fight then to actually get the money as they paid us for only 1 person. I had to threaten court action (quoting costs) before they sent the second lot.

So yes, you can get the compensation and don't give up.
    Last edited by Faldinio; 04-03-2018 at 9:26 AM. Reason: Typos
    • JPears
    • By JPears 4th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    JPears
    Well done. Did they pay the correct amount?
    How many were including any kids?
    Put your flight numbers and dates up as it may help someone else on your flight. Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • boatman
    • By boatman 20th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 3,847 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    boatman
    No, not really.

The main problem here is with the one hour connection time. On a long haul flight that is just not enough time.

Delays, into and out of all busy airports, are inherent in the operation any airline, it happens on a very regular basis at all major worldwide airports and cannot be classed as an extraordinary circumstance.

However, if the airline is happy to sell you a through ticket with only a one hour connection time, they should pay you compensation if they then delay you.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    It looks like they are going to pay!!
    • mervinsx
    • By mervinsx 22nd Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mervinsx
    Emirates cannot appeal via Supreme Court
    My first post regarding Emirates & missed connections was in March 2017 (page 33).

For those of you who have been following this thread for missed connections on Emirates - the airline have just been told they can no longer appeal agains the decision of the High Court at the Supreme Court.

A spokesperson confirmed Emirates will not be trying to appeal against the decision any further.
    She said: "We are very disappointed by the Supreme Court's ruling denying us leave to appeal against the earlier judgment of the High Court in relation to the application of regulation EC261 to flights of non-community carriers [ie, not EU, European Economic Area or Swiss airlines] originating outside of the EU.

"As one of the world's largest airlines, we always comply with all legal requirements and based on the judgment, we'll advise customers of our approach in due course."
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 23rd Mar 18, 6:18 AM
    • 11,154 Posts
    • 7,326 Thanks
    Caz3121
    there is a specific thread for Emirates where this is covered http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5201356
    • cmccoy004
    • By cmccoy004 23rd Mar 18, 7:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cmccoy004
    Not relevant in other thread Caz3121
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 23rd Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 11,154 Posts
    • 7,326 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Not relevant in other thread Caz3121
    Originally posted by cmccoy004
    I am not sure what you mean - my response was to mervinsx re the Emirates not being able to appeal which is covered in the thread I linked to
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74029283&postcount=3
    • CT6511
    • By CT6511 5th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CT6511
    United Airlines 940
    Hi,

I am new to this forum.

My partner and I wil flew with united from Newark - London Heathrow on Sunday 1st April 2018. The flight was scheduled for 10pm and boarding commenced at 9.15pm. Having all boarded the flight an annoucement came over the tanoy saying we might be slightly delayed as the there was a technical issue with the plane.

15 mins later we were told the plane was being put out of service and a new plane would be located for our flight. We all disembarked to the gate and awaited an updated. Fortunately this happened fairly quickly and within 30 minutes we had been given a new gate and a departure time of 11.00pm (optimistic seeing as it was 10.45pm by this time).

From this point onwards it went downhill. The plane needed cleaning and catering which took over an hour. We were then informed that the plane had a techinical issue that needed fixing and we were given a vague update as to how long this might happen - quote from one of the gate staff ' I dont want to put a time on it - maybe 25 minutes, maybe more, maybe less, but I am going home now anyway'.

The airport was pretty much closed by 10pm so at this point we had been delayed with no real access to food and drinks. We also were not offered the option to take a later flight. This was only highlighted to me as an option as a flight next to us also seemed to be suffering similar issues and pax were offered the chance to rebook on a later flight.

An hour after the technical issue was annouced we were told it was fixed and the plane needed safety checks before we could board.

In short, from point of disembarking first plane to boarding 2nd plane it took over 3 hours. Once we boarded the second plane we went through the push back process (we heard x2 annoucements to arm doors and disarm doors on the tanoy) to then be told the co-pilot was now illegal to fly so we had to wait for a relief pilot who was 30 mins away. What is mad is that they must have known this before boarding us? We then an hour of vague he is 3 - 5 mins away, he is 3 -7 mins away, he is on the property updates before he actually arrived 1 hr later. At each annoucement we were told we could get off the plane and get food if we wanted, although the terminal was closed at this point so I am not sure where they thought we could do this.

In the end the flight took off over 5 hrs late at 3am local time, but arrived in London only 4hrs 15 mins late due to a very fast flight time (6hrs).

United did email me with a generic apology and an offer of $100 dollars redeemable on a united flight. I am not planning on ever flying united again and have started the complaint process with the airline.

My grievances are as follows:

- original plane had landed at newark 9 hours earlier so how come it took so long to detect the issues
    - the plane itself was 27 yrs old and had only the week beforehand suffered a mid air techincal fault that caused a diversion to Iceland - should it really be in service
    - lack of clear updates / innapropritate behaviour from gate staff making jokes etc
    - confusion over annoucements about flight status as the flight next to us was also delayed and neither gate staff made it clear which flight they were talking about
    - i am a very nervous flier - have done therapy / have prescription from dr and the delay / techincal issues caused me to have a panic attack. When I spoke with the crew they ignored me.
    - the plane was so old that airphone jacks did not properly work, even with the United earphones provided

What I would like to know is how likely I will get more compesation for the above claim and if anyone has been sucessful with complaints to united?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 5th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,092 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    Justice13075
    A non EU airline flying from a non Eu country no compensation due under EU261/2004
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    JPears
    You are not due any compensation under regulation 261/2004 for the delay as it was non EU airline leaving non EU country.
    Any other compensation is entirely at the discretion of United.
    I wish you good luck with that.

• James Blonde
    • By James Blonde 16th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    James Blonde
    Flight cancelled due to bad weather, but flight flew on the day
    As mentioned elsewhere, myself and my wife were due to fly on Emirates Flight EK028 from Glasgow to Dubai on Friday 2 March 2018, with an onward flight to Hong Kong, as part of a months holiday - 4 days in Hong Kong, and the rest in Australia.

We checked into the flight on 28 Feb, however were notified via Email on 1 March that the flight was cancelled due to severe weather. I obviously have the cancellation Email.

We contacted the airline, that the earliest flight we could take would be on Tuesday 6 March, moving the whole holiday out by 4 days. This was impossible, due to hotel, activity and flight bookings in Australia, and therefore our only option was to cancel the Hong Kong portion of the trip, and associated hotels and arrangements, and fly directly to Australia - also missing a day in Australia.

We did ask about adding the Hong Kong portion on to the end of the trip, however the customer service agent advised this would cost around £5-600 per passenger, and the flight would be via Dubai, so completely impractical. We also asked whether they'd be willing to upgrade a sector of our trip as a goodwill gesture, which probably would have stopped me even looking into claiming, but I'm guessing the customer service agent wasn't empowered to do this.

Anyway, I decided to look at the Glasgow flight departure board on Friday 2nd and noted that flight EK028 was scheduled, and was boarding - the flight had not been cancelled. I've subsequently checked a flight tracker and confirmed that the flight did depart. This would therefore suggest that there were no extraordinary circumstances, as severe weather did not stop the departure of our flight. It appears we had been bumped from the flight - possibly to allow passengers from previously cancelled flights to fly.

Is this logic sound?

What are our options? I've drafted a Resolver claim, but wanted to check with real people first.

Thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 16th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    JPears
    Not much point using resolver, the templates in Vauban's guide are more suitable. Resolver does nothing that you can't do your self. Indded some airlines, eg KLM, just ignore resolver, wasting your time.
    Your's is a slightly unusual case, as I've mentioned. If you try to claim denied boarding under regulation, 261/2004 they will probably just counter with the fact that you didn't present at the boarding.
    So you will have to go with the fact you were delayed in reaching your destination by more than 4 hours as you were told that the flight was cancelled, when apparently it wasn't. And you were given less than 14 days notice of your flight change.
    POst a redacted (no personal info ) copy up heare and we'll let you know if you've included all the relevant stuff.
    Expect Emirates to fight this. They have a chip on their shoulder at the moment after losing in the Court of Appeal.

• James Blonde
    • By James Blonde 17th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    James Blonde
    How's this as a starter for 10?

Dear Emirates Customer Services

I am writing regarding a cancelled Emirates flight, Flight number: EK028
    Departure airport: Glasgow International Airport, GLA
    Scheduled departure time: Fri 2 March 2018 at 13:00
    Arrival airport: Hong Kong (HKG) via Dubai International Airport (DXB)
    Number of passengers: 2
    Other passenger names:
    Booking Reference:

Myself and my wife were recently scheduled to fly from Glasgow to Hong Kong, via Dubai, due to depart on 2 March on Flight EK028 on booking reference. We checked in to this flight on Wednesday 28 February, however, significantly less than 14 days before the flight, we were notified that this flight was cancelled on 1 March 2018 due to severe weather. We are, however, aware both through monitoring flight departures from Glasgow on the day, and confirmed through subsequent investigation, that flight EK028 flew from Glasgow on 2 March, departing at 1.57pm, despite us being advised that it was cancelled. Meteorological conditions were clearly sufficiently favourable to allow aircraft, and in fact the flight we were supposed to be on, to depart, and therefore I don’t believe that there were any extraordinary reasons for the cancellation of our flight.

The earliest flight that your customer service agents could rebook us on was EK028 on Tuesday 6 March - 4 days later than scheduled.

As we received less than 7 days notification of this cancellation, our new flight arrived more than 4 hours after the original flight, and that this was a long haul flight, flying a distance of 5848km, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this disrupted flight. l am seeking €600 compensation per person - €1200 compensation in total for cancelled / delayed flight for both myself and my wife.

Additionally, being removed from this flight resulted on us having to cancel the Hong Kong portion of our holiday, therefore we lost flights (Glasgow – Dubai - Hong Kong and Hong Kong - Brisbane) and associated hotels, activities and accommodation with friends.
    We tried to rearrange this portion of our holiday with your customer service agent, by moving the Hong Kong trip to the end of our holiday, but we were advised that this would not be possible without significant cost – I believe around £500 per person. We suggested an upgrade to one of our revised sectors would provide a degree of compensation for our lost Hong Kong trip, and at no cost to you as an airline, but again, the customer service agent was not able, willing, or empowered to assist. We believe that the cost of these flights should be refunded, as through no fault of our own, we were not able to complete this planned and booked sector of our holiday.

I look forward to a full response to this letter within 14 days. If I do not receive a satisfactory response I intend to pursue my complaint further, which could mean taking it to court.

Name

Address:
    Phone:
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 17th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    jpsartre
    You can still cut it down quite a bit (e.g. the stuff about being refused an upgrade is irrelevant and should be left out). But before giving concrete suggestions, how were you rebooked? You were originally booked to fly to HKG and Emirates changed the ticket to Australia? If so, I would question the request to ask for a reimbursement of your ticket (although I would pursue any out of pocket expenses such as lost hotel accommodation). What a screw-up on Emirates' part though.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 17th Apr 18, 11:02 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 626 Thanks
    Tyzap

What are our options? I've drafted a Resolver claim, but wanted to check with real people first.

Thanks
    Originally posted by James Blonde
    Hi James,

I have a theory about what happened here, nothing concrete, but a workable scenario I believe.

The previous days flight, EK27 on 1/3/18 to GLA, was diverted to PIK due to poor weather, where is stayed overnight. This resulted in the outbound flight to DXB being cancelled on 1st.

On the day of your departure, 2nd, it hopped over to GLA and then operated the delayed flight to DXB.

Your flight then arrived and departed as scheduled.

On the 1st, EK28 was cancelled and I believe that you were possibly sent an email informing you of that cancellation, which was intended for passengers of that flight and not yours.

It would be an incredible mistake for EK to make. However, as your flight operated normally, I cannot see any reason for them sending you a cancellation the day before your flight was due to operate, when it then operated as scheduled. Further, they told you it was due to adverse weather but on the day of your flight there wasn't any, but there was the previous day!

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 18th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    • 3,847 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    boatman
    Singapore Airlines have stated in an email received:

'We were just notified by our Legal department that after the latest Court ruling, we need to use rate of exchange on the day of the claim'

Hope that is of use to anyone claiming.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 19th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Singapore Airlines have stated in an email received:

'We were just notified by our Legal department that after the latest Court ruling, we need to use rate of exchange on the day of the claim'

Hope that is of use to anyone claiming.
    Originally posted by boatman
    This differs from the position in English Law under the CPR's which is that you state the sterling equivalent at the time you claim but if the case goes on to trial, judgment is given at the rate on that date. It might be higher or lower.
    I'd be interested to know the name of the case to which they refer and where the judgment can be found.
    • vickster*arsenal
    • By vickster*arsenal 23rd Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    vickster*arsenal
    Flight delay in Australia caused missed connection in Dubai - EMIRATES
    Hi

Just wondered if anyone can advise if my brother would be entitled to compensation? His flight was booked directly with Emirates, from Perth Australia to Birmingham UK, via Dubai. The flight was late leaving Perth, I believe due to an issue with the aircraft, and left several hours late. Despite being assured by the cabin crew that the connecting flight wouldn't leave Dubai without him, it did. He eventually arrived back in Birmingham around 7-8 hrs later than planned.
    To add to it, he was an unaccompanied minor, 15yrs old, although very grown up for his age and not phased by it all.
    Mum has written to Emirates, and they came back with the standard non EU airline and non EU airport line, but I don't know if this has changed with the recent rulings?

Thanks in advance.
    I have this theory that chocolate slows down the ageing process.... It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

3,203Users online

Martin's Twitter