Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 37
    • CoffeeLover
    • By CoffeeLover 8th Aug 18, 7:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CoffeeLover
    USA Delay

I ended up with a 4Hr+ delay due to the incoming flight being delayed. This was for a UK to New York flight. I can see that there may be extraordinary circumstances ie. weather, although I was not directly affected.

Basically the aircraft has done a USA internal flight and been diverted elsewhere due to bad weather, then it's headed to it's original destination once weather has cleared. Then it's gone back to its base - New York - and then it's done a scheduled flight to the UK, and I was boarding the return leg - back to New York (delayed departure). So it's a kind of domino effect causing the delay.

Reckon I have a claim under the EU rules?

CoffeeLover
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    Tyzap
    USA Delay

I ended up with a 4Hr+ delay due to the incoming flight being delayed. This was for a UK to New York flight. I can see that there may be extraordinary circumstances ie. weather, although I was not directly affected.

Basically the aircraft has done a USA internal flight and been diverted elsewhere due to bad weather, then it's headed to it's original destination once weather has cleared. Then it's gone back to its base - New York - and then it's done a scheduled flight to the UK, and I was boarding the return leg - back to New York (delayed departure). So it's a kind of domino effect causing the delay.

Reckon I have a claim under the EU rules?

CoffeeLover
    Originally posted by CoffeeLover
    I agree.

Your flight was not directly affected by bad weather so a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • CoffeeLover
    • By CoffeeLover 8th Aug 18, 8:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CoffeeLover
    Thanks, as I thought. Can only put the claim in and see how it works out.
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 17th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    gll5dm
    A trolly dolly friend of mine who works for American Airlines tells me that if you order food and pay with a credit card, but your card doesn't work for whatever reason (insufficient funds, wrong PIN) then they'll allow you to keep whatever it is you ordered as they don't wish to embarrass the customer. Will be doing my bit for society tomorrow and will report back in due course!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 17th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Apparently there's no depth to which some people won't stoop in order to save a few quid. The only bit if you've done for society is too speed up the race to the bottom.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 17th Aug 18, 10:39 AM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    JPears
    One could stretch to the arguement of Darwinian survival of the fitest....?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 19th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Hi, hope I!!!8217;m posting this in the correct place!

We were due to travel from Orlando to Heathrow via Charlotte last Tuesday! We received an email 3.5 hours before our flight was due to depart stating that it was delayed and we were unlikely to make our connecting flight. At that time, there was just a short delay on the flight. On arrival at the airport, there were many people trying to sort out issues because of the delays. We were not given any update on the continued and prolonged delay and I was only able to gather this information by using my phone to check online. We were told that that there were no other flights that day, We were not given any vouchers for meals, and had to find and pay for overnight accommodation in Orlando. We eventually departed on different flights at 1.14pm on 15/08/2018, more than 19 hours after our original flight should have left. Our overnight hotel cost $176, meals out over $150. It was also extremely inconvenient as one of our daughters needed to be in the UK to obtain her A level results.

Where do I stand with claiming anything for this?

Thanks
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 #7 297/350

1 debt vs 100 days 323.72/1000
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 19th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    Justice13075
    If you flew with American Airlines you are not covered by EC261/2004 you will have to look at your travel insurance. You could always complain to the airline and see what they say
    • JPears
    • By JPears 19th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    JPears
    If a non EU airline, then nothing under regulation 261/2004

• Timothea
    • By Timothea 21st Aug 18, 11:38 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    Timothea
    We eventually departed on different flights at 1.14pm on 15/08/2018, more than 19 hours after our original flight should have left. Our overnight hotel cost $176, meals out over $150. It was also extremely inconvenient as one of our daughters needed to be in the UK to obtain her A level results.

Where do I stand with claiming anything for this?
    Originally posted by RhiBi
    You CAN claim against the airline for damages due to delay under the Montreal Convention, but this is only practical if the airline concerned has a presence in the UK (so, AA should be OK). Damages means any costs or losses incurred as a direct result of the delay, which would include necessary hotel accommodation, meals and phone calls. You would need to have proof of both the delay and the costs or losses, so keep all tickets, boarding cards, receipts, etc. Also, be aware that the Montreal Convention sets a limit to the amount of damages that can be claimed.

You may need to issue a County Court Claim before the two-year limit set in the Montreal Convention, so do not delay. First, write to the airline detailing your claim, with a reasonable response deadline. If the airline doesn't offer to settle in full by the deadline, the next step is to send a LBCCC (Letter Before County Court Claim) to the airline's main address in the UK detailing your claim again and saying that you will issue a money claim unless it agrees to settle in full within two weeks. The airline may legitimately ask for more information, but don't allow things to drag on. If the airline still doesn't settle, you must follow through with your threat and issue a claim. Ultimately, you may need to attend court to argue your case, but this is unlikely given the relatively small amount of money involved.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 21st Sep 18, 3:54 PM
    • 18,595 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    jem16
    Air Transat flight delay from Glasgow to Toronto.

Just thought I should add my experience in case it helps anyone.

On 21st July my Air Transat flight from Glasgow to Toronto was delayed by 3 hours due to the late arrival of the incoming flight. I was given a 10 voucher to use for lunch which was fine. By the time the flight left it was around 3hrs 45 minutes delay.

We did catch up a bit on the way but still arrived 3 hrs 26 minutes late at Toronto. There was an announcement saying that letters would be available as we left the aircraft in case we wanted to claim from our Insurance. I took one as proof and it said that the reason for delay was technical issues.

On my return to the UK I then headed here and got the template for claiming. I then contacted Air Transat through their online contact form and included the MSE template letter. That was on the 16th August.

On the 23rd August I received an email from Air Transat asking me to give my address details so that they could send me a cheque.

On the 18th September I received my cheque for 264.

So no hassle and quick enough and full payment of the 300 Euros I was due. That will pay towards next year's flights.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st Sep 18, 4:13 PM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    JPears
    Well done. I assume that is the correct amount? 50% reduction from E600 due to less than 4 hours delay?

• jem16
    • By jem16 21st Sep 18, 5:22 PM
    • 18,595 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    jem16
    Well done. I assume that is the correct amount? 50% reduction from E600 due to less than 4 hours delay?
    Originally posted by JPears
    Thanks. Yes it was correct according to what I had read on here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,243Posts Today

10,383Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin