Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Comments

• Twinkly
    Twinkly Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    I have a very bad history of debt... Over the past six years, my bank history includes Natwest, Lloyds TSB, Halifax, Capital One, HSBC and MINT.

If I have had several different accounts with the same bank, do I need to include a tenner for each account? Should I send a separate letter for each account? No. One letter listing all the account numbers and one payment of £10 if applicable is all that is neccessary in that case.

When I was younger with Natwest, I had a Switch account and lost my job. I had no money and I kept spending on a card with no overdraft. It eventually reached -£2000 (most of which was charges) before they took action and closed the account. Could I get most of this back?Yes and you will be paid any balance left over after the full amount is applied to the overdrawn account.

I don't have a record of any of my old account numbers really. Is there any way I can find out?Write to each bank requesting your details as SAR under the Data Protection Act. HSBC and Capital do not charge for this service, Halifax charges £5.00. Other banks may send back your cheque or postal order but include a £10 statutory fee for your details initially.

Give details of your full name and address including postcode and all previous addresses if applicable. Give your date of birth and include any information you have such as the type of account, local branch address, date account opened/closed or any details of agencies they may have been passed to for collection including any account numbers/reference numbers for those.

If I take on the above banks, am I likely to end up getting blacklisted by them and find it hard to get banking services anywhere?You may already be because of your credit history but you should still be able to get the most basic bank bank account such as those operated for benefit claimants by most, if not all, banks and the Post Office.

Cheers. :)

Purply bits are my comments. Good luck :)
  • spot on mate. all the best.
  • Howdy everyone, was kinda hoping someone knowledgable could help me with a query.

I have closed down my bank account with Abbey and moved into a different address since their last charge was applied but don't know how to go about informing them correctly.

I've downloaded the templte letters & understand them fully, but as we're dealing with data protection stuff here, will they simply accept an enclosed note showing my former address?

Thanks in advance and good luck to anyone else trying to claim!!!!!

Richard.
  • I had an account with HSBC for about 15yrs. I closed this account at the start o fthe year as I was sick of the excessive overdraft charges. Am I still eligible to claim back these charges even though I am now no longer a customer of HSBC?
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, you are.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As long as you provide them with your former account number, they should have no trouble finding your old info. My OH had closed accounts and changed address and still successfully claimed charges back from Capital One.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Howdy everyone.

I used to have an account with Abbey & I'm gonna claim back (with interest hopefully!) every charge they smacked me with.

The account has been closed for about 18 months now & i moved house shortly after (so Abbey don't know my new address).

I have read & fully understand the sample letters to send to the bank but just want some assistance on informing Abbey of my new details..... Will simply putting a note with my old address as a reference suffice? I plan on doing this with my 1st letter to request details of my charges. Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance, Richard.
  • Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to reclaim charges on accounts that have been closed for several years?

I had an account with First Direct that I closed around three years ago. I no longer have any statements or information about my account. Would I be entitled to contact them to obtain statements & potentially reclaim charges?

Thanks!
    E
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hi.. i am prob.. totally wrong here.. but i had a credit card with m & s.. and allways used to miss payments because i didnt have the money to pay it...as far as i can remember i thought i was being charged a late fee sum.. for not paying.. and this accounted for the running bal.. as i hardly used it...

anyway i paid my £10.. for the archive accounts... as i closed the account in 2004..

i have recieved the printouts today... and i am a bit confused..... as according to these print out i was never charged... for non/late payments ? i have only been charged 2 sets of £15 for letters ...now either m&s were totally dif to any other credit card around.. and never charged you for late/non payment.... or there is something wrong with this print out....

the covering letter says....
    thank you for your recent request for a copy of a complete list of transactions and charges relating to your accounts for the past 7 years that is held by m&s, under the terms of the data protection act 1998.
    a full subject access request may deliver more information than you need. marks and spencer money operates serveral systems that may provide current historical and duplicate data fields. this can result in numerous printouts being provided, often containing reptitive information, which may not answer your specific query fully.

you state that a complete set of statements for that period would be acceptable as an alternative as this would provide you with information your require regarding any fees we may have charged to your account for letters,telephones calls etc,
    please find enclosed copies of your statements as per request for your information some of the enclosed statements may be shown in archive format....

so what do you think ?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • I closed my account with Lloyds tsb 2 years ago and whilst with them I occured many charges. Can I still claim for these. I can't find any documents as well because I threw them all away.
    Would the bank be able to grant me this info ?:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport