Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 6th Feb 13, 11:42 AM
    • 183Posts
    • 551Thanks
    MiMi66
    oh my life...... Light Bulb moment.
    • 6th Feb 13, 11:42 AM
    oh my life...... Light Bulb moment. 6th Feb 13 at 11:42 AM
    Well, I am posting for the first time and starting a new thread all in one - I joined yesterday and am I so hoping that doing this will help to keep me on track with facing and resolving my debt.

I am ashamed and embarrassed - both at the debt and at how long it has taken me to face up to being in debt and deciding to address it - I'll have to say it quickly though £21620 - to credit cards.
    God, if I can press the post this button after typing that I shall be going some.

I oculd come up with loads of reasons about why I am in debt - all valid and real - but it doesn't take away from the reality of having to pay it back. I am a single mother with two children, I work full time in a good job, and I have spent too much, way too much.

Oddly the children and I don't live some high flying life, no racks of clothes and shoes from designer shops or anything like that - just years of spending over my budget on food, petrol and the big one, trips away. One of these trips was due to my father dying and I needed to go overseas to deal with arrangements suddenly, and took the children - all went on the cards.

I have tumbled recently - poor health, which gave me time to reflect (or wake up you might think), panic (still), contemplate dark things and get very depressed - and now started antidepressants. They are just starting to work and lift my mood, and I want to try and get a plan into place to deal with my awful debt and take a new attitude to it.

I have a mortgage, and good equity (though the bank said no to me borrowing against the house last week - that added to my spiral of mood) - House is worth about £200K and my mortgage is £114K. Also turned down for a loan from Sainsburys bank, which I wanted to consolidate my debts with. Instead I am left with credit cards totalling £21600 (I owed approx £22500 in December, but managed to pay off the Christmas mad spend, but living on thin air this month.)

So - shall I write out my debt?

Halifax - 6830 0% til Dec
    Natwest - 2419 0% til Sept
    M&S - 5730 0% til June and another at Nov
    MBNA - 6632 5.9% for life of balance
    Nationwide - 9 (yes only 9!)

= 21620

Tesco - approx 423 which will be paid off on my pay day - 27/02/13

I've rung a financial adviser who was kind but had not ideas for me as my mortgage provider and Sainsburys turned me down flat. I also spoke with National Debt Line - who were very kind and also reassured me that as I have no 'prioirty debts' my house is safe.

I have always paid everything on time - always met minimums plus a bit more, and have never had a DMP, CCJ or any formal action against me. Mortgage is paid and essential bills all on DD's.

My Credit rating on Experien is all Green - just lots of it. I don't really understand why I haven't been ok'd for a loan to consolidate it all - but it leaves me with having to do that credit card shuffle thing (which I have been doing for years and screwed up completely by always adding more debt to it.)

SO my resolution is to live to a budget.
    Pay off the debt - I think it is going to take me 7 years () - I aim to pay approx £350 a month (plus that Tesco bill next month - will be another very tight one, but I can't bear the idea of not doing it).
    Keep my job and sanity and work on my mood.
    Hug my kids and get them involved in saving money.
    Find ways to live and have fun that do not cost money.

My ex husband may be about to reduce child maintainence and also my eldest will stop getting Child Benefit soon - that plus losing the Council Tax single person rebate as my daughter hits 18 - will add up to losing about 300 per month I think. I have to somehow adjust to that change as well as keep paying off the debt.

Does anybody know what happens with Child Benefit with two children once one leaves full time education - How much does it reduce to?

Gosh, I fel like I have been really self indulgent writing this all out, and I guess it doesn't make for very original reading, but I am so hoping that keeping this forum diary will help me stay on track, and I would welcome any ideas from anyone.

Wish me luck!
Page 19
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Nov 17, 9:28 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,720 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Very good advice from Magpie Mimi. Hope things are going well
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £530/Emergency Fund 2 = £0/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • katiepoppycat
    • By katiepoppycat 10th Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    katiepoppycat
    Looking forward to seeing that updated sig Mimi. hope the week has gone well for you. xx
    • Turtle
    • By Turtle 11th Nov 17, 4:24 PM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,544 Thanks
    Turtle
    Hello MiMi, just finished reading through your whole thread and I have a couple of suggestions for you if you don't mind.

I am a fan of leaping bunny products and can recommend Astonish household products - you can normally find these in the pound shop and the product sizes are often twice as big as you'd get from another brand, making the savings particularly good.

For toiletries, Co-op as you've found, are leaping bunny, as are all Superdrug own brand products. I was amazed how much cheaper these are than 'brands' and other than the shampoo and conditioner which I didn't like, everything I've used has been great. They often do offers as well, making them even cheaper.

Sainsbury's, Morrisons and M&S personal care products are all also leaping bunny, though not all their household products are.

• Skinnylatte
    • By Skinnylatte 13th Nov 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 4,668 Thanks
    Skinnylatte
    Haha, the Aldi thing made me laugh, and reminded me of a friends comment recently. A group of us were driving out somewhere and she piped up ‘Oh is this an Audi?’, My friend replied ‘No it’s a Nissan why?’
    ‘Well it says Audi there look’
    ‘No, it says Audio’
    Supermarket brands all the way for me. I’ve worked in retail supply chain for many years. Own label products are regulated by a raft of food safety, environmental and socially responsible sourcing policies. Products at risk of GM will be registered with the Valid IT system, palm oil will be RSPO, produce will be on a residue testing plan, and those at highest risk will be positively released on test results. Products will be tested and factories will be audited. It’s not perfect, but it’s infinitely better than the unregulated and ‘unknown’. Oh and they’re cheaper than the big leading brands too.

How do you like your Monzo card? I love mine
    Mortgage @ 12/04/2015 £136121 £117,695 13.54% DI £9.13 £7.16
    Mortgage free day 06/03/33 04/03/2033
    Emergency/Offset Account £
    1068/£6000
    CC Balance £6100
    £2032 Paid 66.7%
    1st LBM 02/06/2013 £21595 Debt Free Day 27/03/2015

• MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 18th Nov 17, 4:05 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Ok all, so I just did a mini shop in coop and bought own brand washing powder (cardboard box - happy ego heart and a leaping bunny!), toothpaste....so on my mission to reduce the expenditure I am going OK, Christmas, birthdays and the uni visit trips have kicked the budget a bit but nothing that is not repairable. I am overall pleased with myself I think - their is the odd small spend that could have been done better and I have noted these things happen when I am tired. Stay away from CC when tired.....

And I am coming up to making it 52 payments to go very soon! 8 days :-) London tomorrow for a followup appointment on Monday morning - but have the cheap bus tickets (6 hours on the bus) and will try to keep it all restrained a bit in London.

Now for my sad news and just to say this is why I have not been posting recently.

I have had a followup MRI for my surgery in the spring - and the masses have returned. This is not good news at all as with each recurrence the risks go higher for it to mutate into a sarcoma. It's a very rare condition I have so I am already in a tiny number of people who have it, and then now an even tinier number who go onto have recurrences. Now my efforts have got to be in not joining the tiniest number who go onto have it turn into an invasive bone sarcoma as it is a nasty one which metastasises. Also sadly my surgeon is retiring so I will have to go with a new chap - he is unlikely to have seen my condition before because it is a rare beast, but lets hope he is good with a knife.

So operation number 3 yet to be determined when - I have to have some more investigations first. It's odd as my leg as been aching and I pout it down to going back to work and the amount of driving I have done, sadly not though. I did have a sneaking suspicion I have to say. And as for Cambodia and Thailand....sigh..... if the pain keeps increasing, if I haven't had the surgery,it would make the trip difficult. And if I do have the surgery my leg may not be healed well enough for such a strenuous trip. I've emailed my consultants team to ask t heir opinion.

If I cancel the trip I lose the deposit of £200 and also half the flight. I might be able to postpone the tour I am on and protect my deposit, but I don't think my flight is a flexible one, but I will ring them and find out a bit more. The flight was £551, so in the scheme of things if I get half back that would be good.

So - I bought a necklace..... last years birthday money form my mum topped up a bit by me.....I am staying away from the Emma Bridgewater catalogue.....

Life hey....

Other things, Job still not secure (what are they doing in HR!) and my manager would like me to apply for my PhD....nice, a bit stressful mind.... going back to work has largely been good but I have had a few tense moments with a member of staff who is known to be tricky. Leg lumps now have put that into proportion well and truly. I do love my job but it is a monster of a role. Oh and I did a talk to an audicne of 120 at an event last week which went really well - serious stuff but I got them engaged and a bit of a laugh (me??) at points :-)

Oh and today I took my first dose of antidepressant again - as you can imagine there is only so much one person can cope with and I have hit my tolerance level this week with the leg lump news. Sleep very poor and low low low....

Things to consider.

Australia to see my brother - next autumn - was important - now very important. Even if leg lumps come and go and never mutate, it is enough of a wake up call to me that life is tool short and health is the most important thing.
    My lovely children who are great and pragmatic and never let me get to self obsessed.
    And sorting out that blasted debt! Getting there - I am still determined.

Hanging threads to hold onto yet again.
    MiMi66 01/10/17 NWCC: £4533/£4974; NW loan: £8498/£10097 - 3.4%; M&S:£5102 /£6502; VIRGIN: £6614/ £7096; Halifax: £8565 /£9485;
    =
    £33312 / £38154 Amount pd off cc £4842
    DFD 01/04/2022 48/55 payments to go!
    Mtgage1 - £73587/ £107K
    Mtgage2 - £12629/ £19K [B]Overall M'gage £86216/B]
    Overall Mortgage and debt - £119528/(£127451 30/08/17)
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 18th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Haha, the Aldi thing made me laugh, and reminded me of a friends comment recently. A group of us were driving out somewhere and she piped up ‘Oh is this an Audi?’, My friend replied ‘No it’s a Nissan why?’
    ‘Well it says Audi there look’
    ‘No, it says Audio’
    Supermarket brands all the way for me. I’ve worked in retail supply chain for many years. Own label products are regulated by a raft of food safety, environmental and socially responsible sourcing policies. Products at risk of GM will be registered with the Valid IT system, palm oil will be RSPO, produce will be on a residue testing plan, and those at highest risk will be positively released on test results. Products will be tested and factories will be audited. It’s not perfect, but it’s infinitely better than the unregulated and ‘unknown’. Oh and they’re cheaper than the big leading brands too.

How do you like your Monzo card? I love mine
    Originally posted by Skinnylatte

I love my Monzo card and am about to top it up! It has helped with grocery control. (like pest control!)
    I love the information you've posted, that is very reassuring. Palm oil is a blasted office whether it be unregulated or RSPO, we need either to either cut it out or find a truly non ecologically damaging alternative (look here comes my soap-box!). really grateful for your sharing your view though, and it does inspire confidence. I bought own brand coop dish liquid too yesterday. It really is about a third of the price of what I was buying.
    Thanks to everyone who advocated own brand and co-op.
    MiMi66 01/10/17 NWCC: £4533/£4974; NW loan: £8498/£10097 - 3.4%; M&S:£5102 /£6502; VIRGIN: £6614/ £7096; Halifax: £8565 /£9485;
    =
    Mtgage1 - £73587/ £107K
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 19th Nov 17, 11:40 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Magpie100
    'Getting there - I am still determined' - well done, MiMi, I was glad to read this at the end of your post. I'm so sorry about your health news - it sounds very stressful. Good decision to get antidepressants sorted - you are right that there is only so much you can cope with. But 'determined' is definitely the right mindset. And good to see that you have mostly been keeping the spending under control despite the trials being thrown at you at the moment. You should be proud of yourself - your posts sound as if you have stabilised the money situation which is brilliant.

Glad you like the Monzo card - I find it very helpful because everything happens in real time on it, so it stops me 'forgetting' about bits and pieces I have spent.

Re Australia - do you have a figure in mind that you would need for it? I think the cost of the flights is covered already somehow (or did I dream that?). I wonder if putting together a realistic costing and then sharing it might mean people here can give you ideas on getting the cost down further or setting some challenges re saving. Perhaps time to do an updated SOA once payment 52 appears on the horizon? I don't disagree that it is important that you go, but I think you need to do it in as financially a considered way as possible.

I'm having wins and losses all over the place with money - I forgot my season ticket one day so had to spend £30 on a ticket, ordered £60 worth of clothes online and then sent them all back and bought a bra from TKMaxx that was the wrong size. So I have a lot of ££ to come back to me from refunds and reclaims, which means I am refusing to look at my bank account and sticking my fingers in my ears. Ridiculous and it needs to stop. I just want to look at it when everything is credited back and settled down, though!

Good luck with the appointment and London trip. Let us know what happens and what the ££ damage has been.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 19th Nov 17, 2:51 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,720 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm sorry to hear your health news Mimi, that must be very worrying for you. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious.

I agree that's it's a good idea to start taking the anti depressants as you have a lot to cope with at the moment.

Well done for trying Coop products, that will really help you to cut costs .
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 4th Dec 17, 12:04 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MiMi66
    So - a few weeks has passed - and the top line news is that I am still on track.

My mood however dipped ever so low - and the antidepressants are just kicking in now so while I feel very sad and 'stagnating', I do feel a bit better for having had a good nights sleep on Saturday night - not so great last night but it'll get better.

So I am now at 52 payments to go! Self-managed DMP is going OK and happily I have had a few 0% offers through - not used but it means I hope that they will keep coming for when it is time to change creditor for the ones coming to an end in the new year.

Arghh the trip - decision time in the next two weeks - I have the money aside plus overtime due to be paid at Christmas and will have paid for Christmas, but anxious about my health and anxious about spending the money - though if I don't go I suspect I will regret it. I find myself feeling very very lonely these last months - despite being a gregarious person at work, I a feel like my life outside of it is very empty - a bit empty nest, and a bit the consequence of having not invested enough into personal life hobbies and activities. And not having a partner now for many years... The trip may offer me the opportunity to explore a different side of myself that I have often wanted to, and to do something without my children for the first time in about 15 years (mind you I would love to take them as well, but that can't happen).

And Magpie100 - The Australia trip later in 2018 will cost a bit of money but oyu are right - my friend has kindly agreed to pay for flights (SO lovely) and that money is in an Aus bank account - I won't exchange it as I would lose more doing that but instead I shall save and pay for my own flight and use that money as my spending money. I am also thinking about registering my nursing in Australia and possibly doing a few shifts while there - in part to see how the health system works there now and if I would like to go back in the future. So I probably need to save about £2000 to pay for flights and some spending money - all accommodation covered with family and friends, and if we do strike out for a break away (I'd love to go to Tasmania and Melbourne) I shall do that within budget.

Seem crazy in some ways to do this while repaying debt, but the debt is longish term and I am reluctant to stop all things while repaying it - and if my health does go bang I won't have the option later on. Juggle juggle, while hanging on a thread.

Overtime is still coming in nicely and I should have a small pay rise this month (£20 or so).

Work situation still unresolved but I may have an answer tomorrow - HR have been looking into my circumstances - so shall let you know then - fingers and toes crossed. And my manager is keen I put an application in to start a PhD - have I mentioned that before? Part time 6 years - I day off a week to do it - Research in health..... a wonderful opportunity and endorsement in their faith in me - I just don't know how I shall add that to the balls I am juggling.

I am thinking more and more I shall sell the house next year - summertime perhaps. If my job goes permanent I would like to move closer to base so that my travel is reduced - and though that means selling and renting for a while, I would then be able to clear the remainder of the debt. My intention is to ignore that plan for now and just pay off as much as I can with my SMDMP so that it hits my equity less when I repay the rest. renting isn't ideal (I have 3 cats) but I am hopefully that I can find a place for a year while I catch my breath and stick to my new habits.

Shopping wise I am doing OK - less waste and staying in budget - no mean feat. Hugely reduced incidental outgoings, and on the Christmas social front I was invited to a departmental night out - £35 for meal and then drinks and I would have had to get a hotel overnight and fuel - not much change from £200 really - so I declined and instead decided to have a few low keys events - went for a meal with a friend from work who I really like to chat with - £28, and I am going with another friend for lunch (I have a £40 voucher for this place that was a gift years ago- they will honour it - I have checked). And dinner already had at friend where I took wine and chocolates for £20. No new clothes required for any of it. A train ticket for the lunch £10 and perhaps a few drinks so all in all quite a lot less than the one big night out which might have been fun and Christmassy but with no real friends there to catch up with. Very happy with my decision to do this. I wonder how many other people go to these work events reluctantly - spending money they wish they weren't but feeling obliged to?

Selling things has dried up and partially my own fault - while very low I got offers for a few things but just wasn't in the right place to even respond and send, so I declined it all - foolish but evidence of my grim depression raising its head. Feeling it was all pointless. Thank god I didn't go out armed with a CC during those weeks....

So I have pretty much got it all together for Christmas - left to buy - something for my Mum (Mum is going to tell me what she wants - too many years of her saying something wasn't right so I have learned to not try to surprise her) , and for my daughter (we will go dress shopping hen she gets home from uni), and some wine/chocs/biscuits for friends - I may even try to make some biscuits for people - I have a lovely recipe for Christmas biscuits somewhere.

Cards next weekend and I ave got a small list for that - so many people ave dropped away over the years (that is debt for you - means you can't do things with friends and some just drop away) plus the Brexit effect on friendship...that too is a killer. A few to go to Australia so I must get them off pronto. Stamps are expensive for that!

What else - I shall update my signature with new amounts but I have got down to £35464 or so - £2690 paid off :-) Not to bad for 4 months concentrated effort. and no accrual of debt - because it is not just the paying back of debt it is the reduction in spending and incurring more debt that I am also achieving - very pleased about that.

Right off to do signature update!
    Happy December everyone!
    Last edited by MiMi66; 04-12-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    =
    Mtgage1 - £73587/ £107K
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 4th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Just looking at these beasties - my CC balance transfers.

Provider - Balance / Payment / Expiry date of 0%
    M&S - 437 / 200 / 16/2/18done and dusted!
    Halifax - 2404 / 120 / 03/09/18
    Halifax - 1468 / / 04/04/18
    M&S - 3644 / 200 / 16/06/18
    M&S - 2058 / / 16/07/18
    Nationwide - 4756 / 75 / 03/11/18
    Virgin - 6814 / 71 / 06/04/19
    Halifax - 2987 / / 06/08/19
    Halifax - 2266 / / 06/03/19

So they are coming down - M&S BT number one paid off :-) Halifax next up - so that will be about 1924 plus the one after 1468 - I'll need to move that total - likely to Tesco card that is empty at present. £3392, then it will be the M&S shuffle after that. That will be about approx £4300 by then. Then a sigh til Nov - I am going to try and not have multiple balance transfers on the same card again as it has been quite confusing really, and screws up getting the full benefit (as in the Halifax situation - one )% doesn't run out til Sept 2018, but the one after it runs out in April 2018, but the payments coming off the longer running one as that was set up first, rather than the one that is going to expire first - very frustrating. Even if I tried to pay it down now the money would keep coming off the balance of the older running one, rather than the April expiry one.... I didn't realise that til I read it on someone else's thread...thank heavens!
    Last edited by MiMi66; 04-12-2017 at 1:57 PM.
    =
    Mtgage1 - £73587/ £107K
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 5th Dec 17, 11:07 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Magpie100
    MiMi, this will be brief as I am (ahem!) on my mobile and in the Caribbean. But I wanted to say your update was great- sorry you have been feeling low, but there was lots of good money saving going on! I’m back to freezing England at the end of the week so will reply over the weekend. But you are doing really well, especially with the amount you have now paid off! Xx
    • katiepoppycat
    • By katiepoppycat 5th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    katiepoppycat
    Hello Mimi! Good to see you back. Whatever is the brexit effect on friendship?
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 10th Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Magpie100
    I'm assuming the 'Brexit effect' is having to re-evaluate ones friendships based on people's views/how they voted. I know the feeling...

ANYWAY, MiMi, sounds like you are doing well. Good to see the totals come down and yes, do celebrate that you haven't added to the debt either. And it sounds like you are all sorted for Christmas, too (or nearly) - which is more than I am...

Did you hear about your work? It's good to have the option of selling the house available and also to be open-minded about it. You are showing a good degree of flexibility about the thought of selling your house, and that will stand you in good stead. So often people rule it out completely and won't even contemplate it. I know that emotionally it is a difficult thing to think about, but sometimes the boldest moves are the bravest.

What are your current thoughts about the trip? It's such a tough decision, I can see that. Really pleased about your food budget and the Christmas wins, too. I have a love-hate relationship with Christmas - I find it such an expensive strain and a lot of it is spent living up to other people's expectations of what we must do. I can't complain having just spent a week in the Caribbean (bit of a shock coming back to the snow!) but I do feel overwhelmed with what I still need to do and the money I still need to spend.

Re Australia - I assume you will have checked this out - can you pitch up and start nursing there without a specific type of working visa? I am sure you will have thought of this! It's a great idea though if you can swing it. I am wondering if you should make a decision about the trip and Australia - i.e. pick one and commit to it. That would make it real, and achievable, whereas at the moment they are both half-formed ideas and both seemingly financially out of reach. If you picked one you could start budgeting and saving for it...

Don't worry about not selling things while you were feeling low. Those things are still there to sell, and it was much better to get yourself feeling a bit better and not go out armed with the CC rather than make yourself miserable with listing and posting things. Sometimes all our energy is needed just to get through a day and say 'NO' to buying things or turning down invites (or even 'no thank you', if we're being polite) and you don't need the added stress of ebay etc. Do it when the time is right. It isn't going anywhere, you have money coming in and this is a long-term debt, not a hair-on-fire-grab-every-penny-you-can-immediately situation.

Keep updating! You are doing well. Keep going.
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 26th Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Hello Mimi! Good to see you back. Whatever is the brexit effect on friendship?
    Originally posted by katiepoppycat
    The Brexit effect on friendship is sadly the loss of (some) friends.... I am not UK born but have worked and contributed here most of my adult life. Unfortunately some of the views expressed by a couple of what were two very close friends who I had shared so much with over 20 years, meant it was impossible to sustain a friendship knowing what they thought about migrants and Europe. Some things can’t be unheard or swept away. I don’t think ill of them but equally I can’t compromise myself to that extent. Sad but clean and honest. I certainly can’t get the only person to have disconnected from friends or family over this issue in the last two years.

!!!128577;
    =
    Mtgage1 - £73587/ £107K
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 26th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Hi Magpie and Katiepoppycat ! I didn’t get any notification you both had posted and hadn’t checked the site for a couple of weeks or so, apologies logins for not replying.

So so so. Debt and Christmas. Good news! Outgoings have not exceeded income and as long as I budget budget budget for food this Jan is all be ok. Whew whew whew. (Why so many repeat by three things I wonder? Rhymes with ‘Ho ho ho?)) anyway. Deep sighs of relief all round. I have taken my spending for Christmas right up to the wire and I will need my a bit of my emergency fund in Jan and my fee free overdraft but it will all be balanced by pay day in late Jan. This means no balance transfer required to manage Christmas spend. I am very glad. Even though I went over budget on food and a few gifts it has all been covered. And I see where I can make savings for next year too.

And my payments go down to 50 left! I think I miscalculated before.

The trip - arghhh. Am in the middle of list making. I rang the flight company before Christmas and they have said I can’t yae the flight to go to Australia. And if I rebook it it must be before June 30th. So that is no good. It’s either cancel and lose £225 or go. The trip can be put off for 12 months or cancelled and lose £200. Hmmmmm. I change my mind about 5 times a day. With the overtime I have done (a lot, hence not in here very much as I have been working +++) one that all come in by the end of Feb I will have enough for the volunteering trip. And by the end of March I’d have about £600 saved. Decisions.

My job! While it’s not in writing yet I have had feedback confirmation that I am being made substantive! I shall push for a letter and contract once back to work after the Christmas break. So please and relieved! It’s been busy and urncertain at work but I am so glad they have confidence in me.

So debt down to £34 764(ish) which is about £ 3360 paid off since starting this journey. Yip yip. Nearly 10%.

Will update signatures now as I’ve been paid early and all the direct debits will work their magic soon !!!128522;.

Also the antidepressants have kicked in. Just go es me that ability to see the light as well as the dark I guess. A long journey. And thanks Magpie for acknowledging my flexibility about the house. Not to say it doesn’t scare me but I do see that it might be the best solution ultimately. But not the decision to be made yet. Self directed DMP doing ok..... be so nice to ha e it down under £30k then see it in £2k chunks. All numbers but heavens what life restricting and headache inducing numbers!

So other than being a tad obsessed with finances, I’ve had a good Christmas and I hoe everyone else has as well! X!!!127876;!!!128062;
    =
    Mtgage1 - £73587/ £107K
    • MiMi66
    • By MiMi66 26th Dec 17, 12:24 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    MiMi66
    Oh Magpie, I forgot to answer your question. I can work in Australia as I am an Australian citizen - as are my children (another avenue to explore for us as a family if the economy goes awfully bad here ) so I only have to get my Aus registration sorted to work there. That is a bit of an expense but might be worth it.
    =
    Mtgage1 - £73587/ £107K
    • katiepoppycat
    • By katiepoppycat 26th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    katiepoppycat
    Hey Mimi! Glad you are feeling positive. I've overspent on Christmas food this year but I can balance it out. Thanks for explaing the brexit thing - how awful for you. I'm fortunate to have friends of all flavours on the subject, and whilst we might not agree we can respect them. So pleased about work too - well done! What a great way to start the new year, along with having taken 10% off your total. Do you have a drop dead decision date for the trip? Maybe you should give yourself some time off thinking about it?
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 26th Dec 17, 9:03 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Happy Christmas, MiMi! And well done on being on top of everything over Christmas. and even MORE well done on the job news. Brilliant. I get what you mean when you say the numbers still feel life-restricting, but please - look what you've paid off in the last few months. Nearly 10% is amazing and I hope gives you confidence for the future. I know it's hard, but I hope you are finding it a little easier now you've managed to turn the ship round.

Re food in Jan - any chance of doing a freezer challenge? I did it last year and enjoyed it immensely. I don't know how big a freezer you have, but we have a big chest one, often very full. Over Christmas I have time to go through it and write a list of what is in there and pin it up in the kitchen. Then we plan all our meals round what we have in the freezer and only buy what we need to make a full meal. Last year we lasted six weeks doing this. It really focuses the mind. It is hard psychologically if you have a hoarding mindset, but it's good to be able to defrost the freezer at some point...

The trip trip trip (it's catching) - well, I think we can only leave this one to you to decide. But all the overtime you've done is a good indication of your mindset. You really are making changes to dig your way out - if you can find a way to make it happen then you will. Thanks for clarifying re your citizenship status - I'm jealous that you have such alternatives available!

Yes, put the house decision to one side for now. If you can keep going on the DMP for the next 6 months then you can take stock then. As discussed previously on the thread you need to be in complete control of your finances before you go down that road - it needs careful thinking about.

I had a lovely Christmas, but feel overwhelmed by all my new possessions. It sounds ungrateful, doesn't it - I will enjoy them, and they are wonderful, but still! They were chosen for me with love, but my overwhelming urge for the next few days is to declutter, tidy, sort, recycle, give away and send things to the charity shop. I am off work until the 2nd so I do have time to do it, so I shall enjoy the process and try not to fret about it all. 'Every increased possession loads us with new weariness', said John Ruskin, and I don't want to feel like that, but part of me does. I have enjoyed spending time with family and friends though, so am very fortunate.

Onwards to 2018, MiMi! I'm so glad the antidepressants are helping and that you have stayed in control over Christmas. It really is the key. You are doing brilliantly. xx
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 30th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Hi MiMi,

How are you...what news? January is nearly over, thank goodness - I can't wait for spring. Hope all is going well with you and update us when you can. Mags100X
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 25,720 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope things are okay for you Mimi?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

627Posts Today

6,172Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin