Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:38 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Ovo Energy Reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:38 PM
    Ovo Energy Reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:38 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Ovo

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 1:07 PM.
Page 28
    • Kit99
    • By Kit99 3rd Feb 18, 10:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kit99
    That is indeed the wrong answer!
    It looks like they used 39.5 as the calorific value (CV) instead of the 39.4 stated.
    The CV is the only value that can (and often does) vary from statement to statement - apart from the actual meter reading of course!
    The CV is published by the National Grid for each gas distribution area on a daily basis. Several years ago I grabbed this daily figure for my area and used it to calculate the average over the period I was billed for. It was before the days of OVO, but the suppliers I was with used an average a fraction below the calculated one (e.g. 39.2 against 39.47 calculated and 39.2 against 39.51), meaning the calculated cost was very slightly below what it should have been, albeit only a matter of pennies, but in my favour.
    I would contact OVO and ask them why the result doesn't match the arithmetic. It does only make a tiny difference, but they shouldn't print incorrect details on the bill, when it is supposed to explain how they arrived at a number.
    Originally posted by victor2
    I have found an OFGEM letter dated 5 August 2014 setting out guidance for all domestic gas suppliers on how to calculate the calorific value used for domestic consumer billing. This letter directs all domestic gas suppliers to use the average daily calorific value supplied by National Grid, "The CV used for consumer billing should be an average of the daily average values received from National Grid for the billing period. The use of a fixed CV, which some suppliers refer to as an Ďindustry standardí, is not consistent with the Regulations." This might explain your billing inconsistencies.

Also there is a Requirement to truncate, "This means that for a given gas billing period, suppliers should truncate the average CV to one decimal place. Rounding average CV is not consistent with the Regulations, nor is calculating to more than one decimal place."

OVO Energy has explained the difference in the computation is due to them using 5 decimal places for the calorific value in their computation of the kWh, i.e. using 39.49999 rather than 39.4, because it's an Ofgem regulation to display calorific value truncated!

So I suppose it's off to the Energy Ombudsman next?

Thanks for your replies.
    • Alfiesmom
    • By Alfiesmom 7th Feb 18, 11:53 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alfiesmom
    Hi I was rejected by 4 different suppliers so don't fancy adding any more negativity to my credit report, i am on BG cheapest tarrif but since having smart meter installed my bill jumped to £800 so another bill i have to deal with, i have checked if this is correct and they are adamant it is
    I will be straight one day!
    • SimbaK2K
    • By SimbaK2K 11th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    SimbaK2K
    Smooth switch from me. I was with First Utility who's prices have been rising steadily, not surprising given they are now owned by Shell group. My fixed term ended so I looked at Ovo as I don't trust some of the very small companies, and wanted a smaller, more ethical company then the big 6.

My previous smart meter has moved over without me having to call or do anything. Online account looks good and has all the necessary info like daily figures. All in, a very smooth transfer and a good first impression.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . i am on BG cheapest tarrif but since having smart meter installed my bill jumped to £800 so another bill i have to deal with, i have checked if this is correct and they are adamant it is. . .
    Originally posted by Alfiesmom
    If the smart meter was installed during the winter months then it may be just coincidence that the bill is higher recently.

Now you have the smart meter try to use it to figure out when and where you are using your energy to try to control it.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 12th Apr 18, 5:36 AM
    • 962 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    Terry98
    My previous smart meter has moved over without me having to call or do anything.
    Originally posted by SimbaK2K
    I am very surprised. I thought it was almost impossible to move supplier without older smart meters becoming dumb.

A bit of googling is in order unless someone can point me in the right direction.
    • Gravys Mrs
    • By Gravys Mrs 1st Jun 18, 4:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Gravys Mrs
    Not impressed!
    We switched to Ovo via Cheap Energy Club last autumn, paying by monthly direct debit. Our new smart meter was installed in November.
    Since then, our payments have been taken monthly, with no additional comment from Ovo until today.
    Today we received an email out of the blue, saying that there was 'a delay creating a statement after your Smart Meter exchange' in November (ie just over 6 months ago) but that they now need additional payment of £170 asap!
    Following a conversation with one of their staff, we have increased the DDM, but I did mention that somewhere between last November and now, they should have sent at least an email to keep us informed!
    It was not just the shock of the additional amount, it was the tone of their letter I found particularly insulting.
    • Sixtyfiver
    • By Sixtyfiver 13th Aug 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sixtyfiver
    Dislike Ovo Energy
    Originally I was with EDF and I had no problems with them but for the fact that they raised their prices so I did a switch to Ovo.

I have regretted it ever since. I gave them my accurate meter readings but some faceless wonder decided to estimate my gas reading. I did complain so they then credited me with the difference.

I do not find their monthly accounts easy to understand. I have been paying over the odds ever since I joined them because on doing a comparison at the end of last year which was done on extra readings because I was washing and drying for other family members so it hiked my readings.

Since the beginning of the year my usage is back to normal and very low readings, but one month when I gave my readings as I was told should be given on the 14th of the month I found they had estimated me again.

I have already had one refund of £140 because living alone my usage is low and they said they would reduce my DD, however last week they said I should increase it. Beggars belief.

Now I'm looking to change.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,469Posts Today

8,203Users online

Martin's Twitter