Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:35 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier First Utility
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:35 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier First Utility 28th Jan 13 at 4:35 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

First Utility

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-10-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Page 1
    • rizla01
    • By rizla01 31st Jan 13, 1:30 PM
    • 6,868 Posts
    • 7,480 Thanks
    rizla01
    • 31st Jan 13, 1:30 PM
    • 31st Jan 13, 1:30 PM
    Only 10 hours left to change to First Utils and get the 40.00 cashback if anyone is interested.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

• kizzie_nikita
    • By kizzie_nikita 31st Jan 13, 8:27 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 1,827 Thanks
    kizzie_nikita
    • 31st Jan 13, 8:27 PM
    • 31st Jan 13, 8:27 PM
    They're useless.
    Was easy to switch, but since then ( 7 months ago) it's been hell.
    Was overcharged by 800 and then took months to sort, still having multiple problems with them.

Their customer service is terrible aswell.
    Save, save, save, save.
    • markcheng
    • By markcheng 4th Feb 13, 11:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    markcheng
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:43 AM
    • 4th Feb 13, 11:43 AM
    Why MSE advertising 70 cashback but when you click on it, it only offers 40 cashback?
    • rockin_plumber
    • By rockin_plumber 4th Feb 13, 6:13 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    rockin_plumber
    • 4th Feb 13, 6:13 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 6:13 PM
    Why MSE advertising 70 cashback but when you click on it, it only offers 40 cashback?
    Originally posted by markcheng
    ^^^^THIS
  • vectra90
    • 4th Feb 13, 6:20 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 6:20 PM
    Rubbish, over charged nearly 2k.. still not sorted out 4 months on...Aviod
    • MONEYPENNY
    • By MONEYPENNY 4th Feb 13, 7:46 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MONEYPENNY
    • 4th Feb 13, 7:46 PM
    First Utility
    • 4th Feb 13, 7:46 PM
    This is the worst company you will ever come across , avoid like the plague.
    Do a search on the forums and you will see what I mean.
    • george1939
    • By george1939 4th Feb 13, 7:56 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    george1939
    • 4th Feb 13, 7:56 PM
    • 4th Feb 13, 7:56 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

First Utility

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Originally posted by MSE Samantha
    Contacting First Utility is easy. You get 180 to bank after 12 direct debits and each month you get full detailed accurate accounts on line and should you phone them they are always on the ball The switch over went smoothly and I have had no problems whatsoever since signing up via Energylinx including their 34 cash back. I've had six detailed statements so far and all of them easy to read and understand. There tariff came out cheapest for me
  • Barnstoner
    • 6th Feb 13, 6:04 PM
    Experience of First:Utility
    • 6th Feb 13, 6:04 PM
    I have been with First Utility for several years. I have not had any problems with them, and they run the account efficiently - so I have never needed to phone and test the customer service. I provide meter readings every month end and pay for exactly what I've used a fortnight later by DD. There is a substantial 'loyalty' payment made on the anniversary of joining each year - annoyingly they send this as a cheque instead of just crediting your bank account (maybe they hope you'll forget to pay it in!!). They have been consistently the cheapest since I joined them (apart from Sparks, who I've only just heard of here), but I did once find there was a cheaper tariff with them than the one I was on so you have to be on the ball with it and check their range. This is no worse than other energy companies though - they all play that game. I have just registered my elderly mum with them too, so I guess that means I recommend them.
  • phil1_2_1
    No problems here
    This is the worst company you will ever come across , avoid like the plague.
    Do a search on the forums and you will see what I mean.
    Originally posted by MONEYPENNY
    Rubbish MoneyPenny I have been with FU for 2 years now I had a few problems when i first switched Once i got the smart meter fitted it runs like a dream Pay for what you use as you use it Still one of the cheapest around and I get A large cheque in Jan for my duel fuel dicount which more than covers my December bill Very handy just after Chirtmas
    • Alex444
    • By Alex444 8th Feb 13, 12:15 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Alex444
    Dire
    Have been trying for last 10 months to pay them money by Direct Debit, have e-mailed them on many occasions regarding this and get response, "There is a Direct debit set up" NO THERE IS NOT.
    So far since switching last April, I have not paid them one round penny, they have not sent reminders, not asked for payment, I have now complained to OFGEM. Their customer service is non existant, FUCS are the right initials for that department.
    • kizzie_nikita
    • By kizzie_nikita 8th Feb 13, 6:29 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 1,827 Thanks
    kizzie_nikita
    Rubbish MoneyPenny I have been with FU for 2 years now I had a few problems when i first switched Once i got the smart meter fitted it runs like a dream Pay for what you use as you use it Still one of the cheapest around and I get A large cheque in Jan for my duel fuel dicount which more than covers my December bill Very handy just after Chirtmas
    Originally posted by phil1_2_1
    No she? is correct, these ARE the worst company you will ever come across, no exceptions.
    Save, save, save, save.
  • glantawe
    Avoid at all cost
    Moved house 9th Nov 2012, informed F U. Meter reads given. Kept drawing cash from my account. Unable to contact F U by phone.Waiting sometimes I Hour on the line. If I made contact they were unable or unwilling to solve any issue. Feb 9th 2013 and the saga is still in progress. I have written to one of the top men a Mr D'Arcy. Still No Joy.. Do not touch F U.
    F U may be their slogan. good luck dave davies.
    • CRISPIANNE3
    • By CRISPIANNE3 9th Feb 13, 8:31 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    CRISPIANNE3
    I was going to change to them to get the cash bonus but have read so many poor reviews I changed my mind.
  • philwakely
    The proverbial barge pole must not be allowed anywhere near this company!

Switched to them back in October 2012 on the promise of 40 cashback as well as being the lowest tariff available at the time. Received 10 just after Christmas and told that was all I was entitled to.

Worse still, I have not yet received a single bill nor had any money taken from my bank despite sending in readings on the 1st of each month. I have contacted their [so-called] Customer Service umpteen times and the excuses given each time were laughable [e.g 'Computer flooded' or 'you are one of a select few we've put on a new computer system and it is not yet working properly']. The best excuse to date was 'we have lost all of your details - despite quoting to me everything they knew about me at the beginning of the call! I wrote a formal complaint to them about four weeks ago and have not even received an acknowledgement.

Despite being on a fixed term contract, I have already started the process to switch away and will cite 'breach of contract' if they try to charge me a penalty.

As I said up-top - Do not touch with the proverbial barge pole!
    • Alex444
    • By Alex444 10th Feb 13, 12:57 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Alex444
    Phil, I've had similar problems, have now gone to OFGEM for resolution.
    • sammylou100
    • By sammylou100 13th Feb 13, 9:23 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    sammylou100
    I've posted this elsewhere in the forum & then found this page & had to share it here too...

I HATE First Utility. I have been with them for 20 months, over which time my bills have been consistently wrong. When I tried to switch from them I was told I couldn't as I'd have to swap to another supplier who uses Smart Meters, but currently the only supplier just beginning to introduce them is British Gas and that's only in the early stages, meaning I am trapped with First Utility. I've been threatened with solicitors when they have owed ME money. Before Christmas they sent me a bill with a 50 credit, I called to query it & was told I'd overpaid through the year (impossible I thought, with a Smart Meter). I've now received a bill for 150 as I apparently underpaid last year...I've been trying to sort this out for a week & nobody even responds to my emails. The call centre tells you something different each time.

I'm now taking this to the Ombudsman as I've had enough. I even responded to one of Martin's tweets bigging up First Utility, asking how he could recommend them when their customer service was so awful, and he told me 'Stories like that with every energy supplier, that's the issue, their customer service ranking isn't any worse generally'...but looking at reviews on money supermarket etc this doesn't seem to be the case. I just can't wait to move so I don't have to deal with them any longer!
  • all options
    Thanks but no thanks
    Well well well,
    F U is the second cheapest deal offered - after Scottish Power came in a couple of quid cheaper per month.
    These forums are important, I've scrolled down just half of this page and couldn't find any positive feedback from people that have had problems. It appears that bringing customers dissatisfaction to an agreeable resolution is not paramount on this company's priorities.
    A big thank you to others that have posted on here. I will not be signing up and will avoid in the future if it is apparent there has been no change in satisfaction rates.

(second thought of the day - bring back the wage packet - cut out the banks)
  • vectra90
    Still having problems with First Utility. Have been no help what so ever. Honestly avoid First Utility!!!!!! not worth the hassle.
  • philwakely
    Further to my comments above.......

I telephoned them today to see if they could send me a bill based on readings I gave them on the 'phone as I want to just pay them up to date and switch away as soon as possible.

The response was jaw-droppingly hopeless (but then again, probably par for the course!).... Apparently, they can't send me a bill because their system does not recognise me!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

381Posts Today

4,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • These scams are nothing to do with bitcoin. They are just scams. My view on bitcoin (though a little old now) a? https://t.co/i6rRIOr5hk

• SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I have nothing to do with 'Bitcoin trading' or any get rich quick type advert or scheme. Don't t? https://t.co/WjitDxAc26

• Now I've heard it all. Apparently my politics is dictated by who follows me! You couldn't make this up. PS and for? https://t.co/hoPf6Jp34N

• Follow Martin