British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• jmw20
    jmw20 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Oldsoldier wrote: »
    Just posted this on an another thread before finding this one.

'Messy? Tell me about it!!!

Switch (from OVO) initiated 4 Feb for both Gas and Electricity and since then have had 10 emails from British Gas giving different start dates including one cancelling the Gas switch which meant I had to initiate a re-start of the process - they simply emailed me telling me it was cancelled! I wasn't the only one as a subsequent general email from the MSE Energy Club confirmed.

Gas meter reading requested 16 Mar which was given - Electricity meter reading has never been requested.

I registered my on-line account weeks ago, but as at today's date neither switch was shown as complete so I tried to phone and check - very long waiting times so I gave up and phoned OVO to ask if I'd left them............. :) !! Very helpful young lady checked the national database accessed by all utility companies and she told me my Electricity Supply transferred on 18 Mar (without a meter reading) and Gas was transferring today - I wonder if anyone at British Gas knows? Anyway, to be helpful I logged in again and gave both up-to-date readings for today - perhaps someone will pick them up!

Oh and I apparently have 2 Gas Accounts and 2 Electricity Accounts, all with different numbers - be interesting to see how they sort that one out over the coming weeks."

Finally, my 'savings' are now over 10 months not 12 - and as I had timed the switch to coincide with the end of a previous 'Fix' I've had several weeks during a high use period paying the highest tariff to my previous supplier. Not happy and a lesson learnt - about British Gas and unfortunately the MSE Energy Club who try so hard and generally do a great job!

Sounds very similar to my situation and still very much in the dark about what is happening. It seems that my electric transferred over ok, but they somehow managed to cancel the gas switch. I received an email from BG on the 17th March for my gas reading, but as yet no more news.

That means that I'm currently being billed by both British Gas and OVO, as I have live accounts with both. It also means that my gas account with Ovo, as no longer dual fuel, has been switched to the standard tariff so I'm being charged a much higher cost for the gas I've used since my electric moved over to BG in February.

All a total mess and I still have no idea when my gas will be moved over and my Ovo account cancelled.
  • BassBunny
    BassBunny Posts: 26 Forumite
    jmw20 wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to my situation and still very much in the dark about what is happening. It seems that my electric transferred over ok, but they somehow managed to cancel the gas switch. I received an email from BG on the 17th March for my gas reading, but as yet no more news.

That means that I'm currently being billed by both British Gas and OVO, as I have live accounts with both. It also means that my gas account with Ovo, as no longer dual fuel, has been switched to the standard tariff so I'm being charged a much higher cost for the gas I've used since my electric moved over to BG in February.

All a total mess and I still have no idea when my gas will be moved over and my Ovo account cancelled.
    Exactly the same with me. If I could go back to OVO now, I would at a heartbeat. Never had a problem with them and at least my SMART meters would work.
    I was told by BG that a fix for the problem was going in at end of Feb and then the Gas would be switched. Not heard a thing since. Like jmw2, I am now on a single fuel tariff with OVO so doubt if I will actually save any money by the time this joke is sorted out.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just gone into my previous suppliers app (np) and it comes up account closed so must have gone through ok.
  • I think my transfer has gone ahead as I've had emails from BG to say it happened on Mar 17th. However I've now had about 7 different bills from my old supplier, Scottish Power. Some show me in credit up to £300 or so, others show me with just £40 credit. The last one, which arrived today, shows me owing them £150 or so. These bills are all dated within a couple of days of each other. Some are electricity only, some gas only and some "energy" which I assume is elec and gas combined.
    I cancelled my direct debit to Scottish Power as soon as I saw the BG one in place so we'll see what happens.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,801
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    I somehow seem to have ended up owing old supplier £185.
    So much for saving money.
    I need to check the meter readings I think :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Thanks but I already had an existing account for their boiler maintenance insurance & ancient supply (>10 years ago). I've now been advised my readings will be taken from 14th April & this started in mid February! What gets me is you get automated emails telling you they've got your readings. It's primarily because of their past failings that for the past 3 years I've taken photos of my meter readings for all my utilities so there's no dispute about date time or location - gps co-ordinates as part of the meta data). So I'm mid switch after nearly two months one fuel with BG one with extra energy. I'm used to switching been doing it for ages. I've been at this property for 3 years & switched twice. This is the 3rd & worst.
  • jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 April 2016 at 4:05PM
    jeallen01 wrote: »
    17th March updates:

- Just had a call from someone at BG (at least I hope he was!) to confirm the address and that they are now my gas & electricity suppliers, but he could not tell me anything about the on-line side of things.
    - Logged into my BG account and that seemed to confirm that they are the suppliers, but still could not get any details of the state of the accounts for the individual services.
    - Weirder bit is that I am now shown as being £81 in credit although neither of the bank accounts (I initially selected the wrong one, but then phone BG to confirm that I wanted it taken from an account with another bank) from which that money could have come does show any sign of that money having been taken from it - so has BG "given" me £81? (I do hope so :D)
    - Then checked into my SP account which is still live for the moment, and that seemed to say that they are no longer my supplier - but there is as yet no sign of any refund from them in the bank account from which they previously DD'd the money!

I can only hope that things are gradually getting sorted out at both SP & BG - but I will have to wait and see (and it may take "some time")
    4th April Update
    - BG account is showing both of my initial 3rd March Gas & Electricity readings - so that stage seems to be complete
    - However, BG did NOT take the 2x DDs from the new bank a/c that I phoned and gave them in early March but took them from the old bank a/c on 18th March (which is why it did not show when I checked on the 17th) and the 4th April (i.e. today). So I have just phoned again, and the new a/c details were taken again and the guy said I would receive confirming paperwork within 5 working days (that was not said during the early March call to change the a/c, and no paperwork was received)
    - SP account shows that Gas & Electricity now provided by another supplier, but that they are still waiting for the initial G & E readings from that new supplier, and so they have not debited/credited the relevant bank a/c - and also not to close the DD to the latter a/c (which I deliberately did not) so that they can take/refund the relevant amount in due course.

Slowly getting there!
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    :j Happy dance this morning, I've received my £30 Energy Club Cashback :j.

I hope some of you have received yours too. :beer:
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • rammy007
    rammy007 Posts: 1,050
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Received mine too.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Boo hoo not yet :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories