Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:19 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:19 PM
    Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Eon

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 1:59 PM.
Page 53
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Switching to E.ON
    Thanks Malc

Malc has just sorted this out with correct bank details and monthly payment.

He has assured that EON has not shared my bank details or attached them any other account.

He has suggested that I ask the Cheap Energy Club at MSE what bank details they recorded when I first applied to switch through their site. I am aware that the switch went through in conjunction with MSE and MoneySuperMarket.

It is very alarming that there is even a suggestion that an applicant's bank details could be wrongly processed. Does anyone know how best to contact MSE Cheap Energy Club to find out what might have happened to my bank details?
    Originally posted by ostapm
    Hello ostapm.

I've just emailed you with the address of the Cheap Energy Club. As I mentioned in my email, I'm also in touch with MSE about what happened here.

Thanks for your help with this ostapm and have a good weekend.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • ostapm
    • By ostapm 9th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ostapm
    Hello Malc

Thanks for following this up. I sent an email to the MSE address suggested, pointed to this thread and gave a brief summary of the issue. I emphasised the seriousness of the matter, asked them to confirm they are looking into it and offered to provide further details.

I'll keep the thread updated with any information I receive.

Cheers

Ostap
    Switching to E.ON
    Hello Malc

Thanks for following this up. I sent an email to the MSE address suggested, pointed to this thread and gave a brief summary of the issue. I emphasised the seriousness of the matter, asked them to confirm they are looking into it and offered to provide further details.

Cheers

Ostap
    Many thanks Ostap. I've contacted MSE too and they've replied to let me know they're on the case.

Have a good weekend.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • MSE Laura
    • By MSE Laura 9th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    MSE Laura
    Hello Malc

Cheers

Ostap
    Hi Ostapm,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had these issues with your switch. I can see that you've sent us an email about this.

We are on it and will email you with an update, hopefully on Monday, if not early next week.

Thanks,
    MSE Laura
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 17th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    Closing account of 141 refunded within allotted timescale.
    • PLYSU
    • By PLYSU 18th Feb 18, 12:19 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    PLYSU
    I have a couple of months left to go on my 1 year fix contract for electricity. Having moved to EON from IRESSA (who are the worst business I have EVER dealt with), everything has been fine. I can input meter readings whenever I want. I get a statement every 3 months and my payments went from 26 to 11 each month. I asked them put them up to 23 and a couple of months later the review is saying 11 again. I have asked them to make it 20 instead. I just want to leave them with no debt balance. Never called them but used live chat once and enquiry was dealt with. So, really I have nothing bad to say about EON. If the price you are quoted from them suits, then my experience says, sign up and you should have no probs.
    E.ON Monthly Direct Debits
    I have a couple of months left to go on my 1 year fix contract for electricity. Having moved to EON from IRESSA (who are the worst business I have EVER dealt with), everything has been fine. I can input meter readings whenever I want. I get a statement every 3 months and my payments went from 26 to 11 each month. I asked them put them up to 23 and a couple of months later the review is saying 11 again. I have asked them to make it 20 instead. I just want to leave them with no debt balance. Never called them but used live chat once and enquiry was dealt with. So, really I have nothing bad to say about EON. If the price you are quoted from them suits, then my experience says, sign up and you should have no probs.
    Originally posted by PLYSU
    Morning PLYSU and glad we've been looking after you.

Just a quick heads up on your monthly payments. Provided you've registered with our website, you can take more control of your payments using our online tool, the Direct Debit Manager. Comes in handy should circumstances change.

If the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we think the account will be in credit/debit by the annual review if the payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected. There's more about this tool on our website.

Hope this is of interest PLYSU.

Malc
    • Steve441
    • By Steve441 21st Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve441
    We've just renewed with Eon through Cheap Energy Club, our last contract was due to finish on March 5th, our new one is to start on February 8th, why we don't know. Also the Direct Debit was quoted as 50 per month, Eon have set it up for 68 per month. From our last 12 months bills with Eon our usage works out at around 45 per month, why the difference from the quote on Cheap Energy Club. We also have Smart meters installed by Eon, they are a waste of time as they charge extra through the Standing Charge if you want to pay by variable Direct Debit for the energy you use.
    E.ON Tariff Switches
    We've just renewed with Eon through Cheap Energy Club, our last contract was due to finish on March 5th, our new one is to start on February 8th, why we don't know. Also the Direct Debit was quoted as 50 per month, Eon have set it up for 68 per month. From our last 12 months bills with Eon our usage works out at around 45 per month, why the difference from the quote on Cheap Energy Club. We also have Smart meters installed by Eon, they are a waste of time as they charge extra through the Standing Charge if you want to pay by variable Direct Debit for the energy you use.
    Originally posted by Steve441
    Morning Steve441 and welcome to the Forums.

When we receive tariff changes from a Price Comparison Site, we put them through based on the information we're given at the time. If you applied to switch tariffs on 8 February 18, this is the date your new deal will have started. We do let customers forward switch by up to 52 days in the future but this service is only available if switching tariff through our website.

It's the same with quotes. The Cheap Energy Club will have quoted using the information they have at the time.

Our Monthly Direct Debits are based on current prices and past usage. If you've been with us for at least 12 months and given us regular meter readings, we'll have a good picture of past usage. We'll use this, along with adjustments for seasonal variations, to set the monthly amount. Any debit or credit balances on the account will also be taken into consideration. The aim is to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual payment review.

We do understand circumstances change and have an online tool to give you more control over your payments. Provided you've registered with our website, you can use the Direct Debit Manager to change the payments to better suit different circumstances. If the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we think the account will be in credit/debit by the annual review if the payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected. There's more about this tool on our website.

Differences in our Daily Standing Charges aren't connected to the type of meter at a property. They're linked to the way bills are paid. Customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit have lower daily charges than those paying by any other method. This is the same whether the meters are smart or traditional.

Hope this explains Steve441. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc
    • Steve441
    • By Steve441 28th Feb 18, 1:40 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve441
    That explains why our switch went ahead before our present contract expired, but why can't Eon deal with customers wanting to use Smart meters paying only for the energy used without punishing them by using a higher Standing charge, British Gas managed this. As for using the tool on the Eon website, after being with Eon for 12 months they have got a record of our previous usage which would put our Direct Debit lower than the 68 per month that it is set to be when our new contract comes into effect. We understood the Government wanted Smart meters installed so customers didn't pay excessive amounts and have a large surplus in the energy company's coffers at the 12 month end of contract.
    E.ON Payment Arrangements
    That explains why our switch went ahead before our present contract expired, but why can't Eon deal with customers wanting to use Smart meters paying only for the energy used without punishing them by using a higher Standing charge, British Gas managed this. As for using the tool on the Eon website, after being with Eon for 12 months they have got a record of our previous usage which would put our Direct Debit lower than the 68 per month that it is set to be when our new contract comes into effect. We understood the Government wanted Smart meters installed so customers didn't pay excessive amounts and have a large surplus in the energy company's coffers at the 12 month end of contract.

Hello Steve441 and I agree, building up large credit and debit balances when they're not needed is not a good thing. That's why all our payment arrangements aim to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review.

We do have Smart Pay As You Go meters where customers can pay only for the energy used. As you say, prices here aren't as competitive as some of our other tariffs.

It costs us less to manage accounts where payments are made with a Monthly Direct Debit than it does for those paid by other methods. We're able to pass these savings on as lower daily standing charges.

Hope this is of interest Steve441.

Malc
    Last edited by E.ON Company Representative: Malc; 28-02-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Spacing
    • Steve441
    • By Steve441 28th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve441
    Smart Meter Punished for using Variable Direct Deb
    Our tariff didn't change from the one agreed with Eon when we changed to Variable Direct Debit, the standing charge did, this didn't happen when we did the same with British Gas. With Smart Meters energy companies save money by not paying someone to call to read the meters and know that the readings are correct and still only send a quarterly bill to also save them the expense of sending monthly bills. As the bills sent out are based on meter readings by either customer or employee or Smart Meters we can't see why it should cost more for a customer to pay for only the energy actually used by increasing the Standing Charge unless its to make up for not having a large credit excess after the 12 month contract comes to an end.
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 1st Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    zzzt
    Far too expensive, gonna switch.

Does anybody know how difficult it is with smart meters? When I had it installed by an E.On guy he told me if I switched supplier then someone would have to install a non-E.On meter.
    E.ON Direct Debits
    Our tariff didn't change from the one agreed with Eon when we changed to Variable Direct Debit, the standing charge did, this didn't happen when we did the same with British Gas. With Smart Meters energy companies save money by not paying someone to call to read the meters and know that the readings are correct and still only send a quarterly bill to also save them the expense of sending monthly bills. As the bills sent out are based on meter readings by either customer or employee or Smart Meters we can't see why it should cost more for a customer to pay for only the energy actually used by increasing the Standing Charge unless its to make up for not having a large credit excess after the 12 month contract comes to an end.
    Hello Steve441.

I'm unable to comment on British Gas but can confirm your comments about differences when paying with a Monthly or a Variable Direct Debit with us. Lower daily standing charges are available to customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit.

As above, it costs us less to manage accounts paid this way. I agree, smart meters contribute to cost savings but there are other factors too. Among these we find Monthly Direct Debits help us keep costs down by giving us better control over debit/credit balances and cash flows. This helps to give us significant savings that we pass on to customers.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    Switching from E.ON
    Far too expensive, gonna switch.

Does anybody know how difficult it is with smart meters? When I had it installed by an E.On guy he told me if I switched supplier then someone would have to install a non-E.On meter.
    Originally posted by zzzt
    Hello zzzt and sorry we're going to lose you.

Smart meters don't stop you switching. You can change supplier in the same way as you would with a traditional meter. It's just that, at the moment, the meters are likely to revert to a traditional or dumb type and will need to be read manually as they won't be able to send readings remotely.

Your new supplier will take over the meters and let you know what needs to happen going forward.

Sorry again to lose you.

Malc
    • pontyslapper
    • By pontyslapper 18th Apr 18, 10:58 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pontyslapper
    Current tariff deal coming to an end on 5th May for myself, my parents and my grandfather.

We've all agreed that Eon have been great - I've been with them for donkeys, parents slightly less and grandfather only came across after much discussion in the last year or so.

We're on Eon Saver Fixed 1 Year v9 - the currently available tariffs are quite a way above our current spend - in my case about 20 or so a month more.

I've spoken to my parents and grandfather and they aren't massively open to changing suppliers to one of the small yet seemingly much cheaper outfits. Especially as a few have had problems.

What would be the best course of action - hold on and check the tariffs daily or just jump into the next cheapest Eon tariff before they are inevitably pulled in the coming days following the upward movement in prices from others?
    E.ON Tariffs
    Current tariff deal coming to an end on 5th May for myself, my parents and my grandfather.

We've all agreed that Eon have been great - I've been with them for donkeys, parents slightly less and grandfather only came across after much discussion in the last year or so.

We're on Eon Saver Fixed 1 Year v9 - the currently available tariffs are quite a way above our current spend - in my case about 20 or so a month more.

I've spoken to my parents and grandfather and they aren't massively open to changing suppliers to one of the small yet seemingly much cheaper outfits. Especially as a few have had problems.

What would be the best course of action - hold on and check the tariffs daily or just jump into the next cheapest Eon tariff before they are inevitably pulled in the coming days following the upward movement in prices from others?
    Originally posted by pontyslapper
    Hello pontyslapper and glad we've been looking after you and your family.

Our website is the best place to keep an eye on the tariffs we have available at any given time. You can switch tariff online too.

Not sure if you're aware but you can forward switch through our website by up to 52 days in the future. No need to worry if the chosen tariff is removed from sale before this. Once a future date has been chosen, it'll be locked in and you'll still be able to go on to the tariff on the chosen date. This will let you stay on your current deal until the very last moment whilst not losing a tariff currently available should it be withdrawn.

For a full picture of what's available, pop your usage in kWhs on to the independent price comparison sites. As your current deal runs out on 5 May 18, you'll be within the Price Protection window (open 49 calendar days before a tariff end date until 20 working days after). This means, should you switch supplier before your tariff ends, you'll pick up no exit fees and we'll keep you on our cheaper prices whilst the switch goes through even if this is after the end date.

You can switch from one E.ON tariff to another at any time without picking up exit fees.

Hope this is of interest pontyslapper. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    • SwatCat
    • By SwatCat 19th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SwatCat
    e.on switch problems
    Hi there, my first post here.

I switched to e.on in March. Recieved all the usual confirmation emails etc. My first direct debit was meant to be paid in April. Then they sent me a letter saying my DD was being cancelled. I called them up and they told me I had to reset the DD, but as I had missed the april payment my monthly amounts would have to increase. I contacted my bank who said no payment was refused. So it seems e.on lost my bank details and told me I had to pay a larger monthly amount!

I never had a single problem in several years with my previous supplier, Southern.
    E.ON Monthly Direct Debit
    Hi there, my first post here.

I switched to e.on in March. Recieved all the usual confirmation emails etc. My first direct debit was meant to be paid in April. Then they sent me a letter saying my DD was being cancelled. I called them up and they told me I had to reset the DD, but as I had missed the april payment my monthly amounts would have to increase. I contacted my bank who said no payment was refused. So it seems e.on lost my bank details and told me I had to pay a larger monthly amount!

I never had a single problem in several years with my previous supplier, Southern.
    Originally posted by SwatCat
    Hello SwatCat and welcome to the Forums.

I'm sorry we cancelled your Monthly Direct Debit and asked you to reset it.I suspect this was due to an issue we had recently with a batch of applications to switch to us. We were unsure about the accuracy of some of the details received from the switching site and so took the decision to cancel arrangements rather than risk any mistakes. We wrote to all affected customers to let them know.

This issue has now been resolved but, in certain cases like the one you mention, it meant a missed payment. Our payment arrangements look to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual review. One way to make sure your account was on track for this was through an increased monthly payment. This would make up for the missed one and let us spread the amount evenly over the next few months rather than asking for a double payment.

An alternative would've been to pay a one-off lump sum to cover the missed payment. The monthly amounts could then have been left as they were. I'm sorry if you weren't told about this option.

Not sure if you're aware but we've an online tool called the Direct Debit Manager that gives you more control over the arrangement. Provided you've registered with our website, you can use this tool to change the monthly payments to better suit different circumstances. If the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we think the account will be in credit/debit by the annual review if the payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected. There's more about this on our website.

Sorry again we had to cancel your original Monthly Direct Debit SwatCat and hope this is of interest.

Malc
    • SwatCat
    • By SwatCat 19th Apr 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SwatCat
    I recieved a letter but it told me I had cancelled the DD. It never mentioned any of the problems you did in the above post. In fact, when I spoke to an e.on agent this morning she insisted it was either my fault or my bank's. Again, no mention of any problems e.on's end. She offered me a new DD plan of over 100 a month which I rejected. Then I asked if I could pay the missed month of April over the phone using my debit card.

But regardless, my new monthly plan is 84. When I signed up is was supposed to be 65. I have an online account and shall look into the DD manager.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,357Users online

Martin's Twitter