Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:14 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Edf Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 1:10 PM.
Page 11
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 24th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Thanks for that but will have to wait a couple of weeks as it says 8 weeks or deadlocked.
    Seeing as if I don't pay them what I owe, they will take CC action, why shouldn't I when they don't refund me?
    Originally posted by wtabby
    If your case is solid and you have the evidence to show that you don't owe them anything then let them take you to court and they will lose. Why go to the bother and expense of starting legal action yourself?

You don't explain what their case is but you need to be sure you are completely in the right.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • wtabby
    • By wtabby 24th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wtabby
    Just had this reply from EDF
    Hello Wayne, I can see you changed supplier, in this instance we did not estimated your final read. In a change of supplier its the obligation of the new supplier to provide us with the closing read. This will be the same read they have used to start their account. I would recommend contacting them to see if they can arrange for an amended read. Thanks

If they don't supply the final reading who does? How would the new supplier (npower) have a clue?

Estimated reading 58900 actual 58308, so without actually reading the meter or asking me, if from what EDF say it wasn't a bad guess??
    Sorry EDF but I don't believe you!
    • wtabby
    • By wtabby 24th Aug 18, 12:39 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wtabby
    I asked EDF the same question and got reply
    It maybe something you would need to speak to them about Wayne. Thanks

Sounds rather smug?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 24th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Just had this reply from EDF
    Hello Wayne, I can see you changed supplier, in this instance we did not estimated your final read. In a change of supplier its the obligation of the new supplier to provide us with the closing read. This will be the same read they have used to start their account. I would recommend contacting them to see if they can arrange for an amended read. Thanks

If they don't supply the final reading who does? How would the new supplier (npower) have a clue?

Estimated reading 58900 actual 58308, so without actually reading the meter or asking me, if from what EDF say it wasn't a bad guess??
    Sorry EDF but I don't believe you!
    The new supplier should get the opening readings from the customer. If an opening reading is not provided then an estimated reading, from an industry database, is used instead.

The important point here is that your closing readings from the old supplier are the same as the opening readings used by the new supplier. If you haven't yet received a statement from your new supplier then email them to ask for their opening readings.

If you're not happy with the estimated readings used then you can ask them to modify them (providing the difference is big enough to warrant it).
    • wtabby
    • By wtabby 24th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wtabby
    58900 estimated to 58308 might not be a great difference but it is 10 times what I have actually used and ten times what I used same period last year.

Neither EDF (previous supplier) and npower (new supplier) and been very helpful during the last 7 weeks trying to sort this out.

Regretably I am now stuck with npower till 2021
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 25th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    I received this from them at 11:50pm last night (seriously!!);

I have noted all your information in the account so that you do not face any issues in investigation. I went and also explained the details to you.
    Kindly contact us for further query. I am confident all actions have been taken to resolve everything. It would be appreciated if you could confirm that are you are satisfied with the actions taken / explanation provided within the next three working days and that you are happy that the complaint can be closed. If you feel there is anything I have missed please let me know and I will be happy to help.

My response;
    I will be passing this matter on to the Ombudsman as I have received nothing but excuses for the disgraceful service that you have provided, and you have resolved absolutely no part of my complaint.

Their response to this was complete bo****cks, I was accused of not updating my email address or my phone number (I've had the same ones for 17/18 years). I'm taking it to the Ombudsman. They are a bunch of clowns!!
    • molerat
    • By molerat 25th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 19,310 Posts
    • 13,520 Thanks
    molerat
    i opt to join a 1 hour ago but didnt see all these bad feedback .... im now going to cancel the move.
    Originally posted by greenchilly
    Recently left EDF after 2+ years purely on price. Over that time I had no problems whatsoever. The No 1 rule - submit readings monthly (at not less than 28 day intervals) and a bill will be produced. When I left an accurate bill was produced promptly using the new suppliers read and correct payment taken a couple of weeks later.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 25th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Recently left EDF after 2+ years purely on price. Over that time I had no problems whatsoever. The No 1 rule - submit readings monthly (at not less than 28 day intervals) and a bill will be produced. When I left an accurate bill was produced promptly using the new suppliers read and correct payment taken a couple of weeks later.
    Originally posted by molerat

That's easier said then done for a lot of people. I was really sick for a couple of years (I had tests for cancer and all sorts). Reading the meter was the last thing on my mind, especially as the meters were in an unlocked cupboard outside. They do lose meter readings too (they lost mine).
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 10,954 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    But a lot of people don't bother to read meters.
    My elderly infirm neighbour gets a friend to read her meter monthly .
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 25th Aug 18, 7:12 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    Estimated my final reading, taking no notice of my usage for same period last year. According to their final bill "this period last year 67 kWh" "this bill 689 kWh" so they overestimated the final reading tenfold, took £126 by direct debit before I had time to close it and are now asking for another £42.

1st July their final estimated reading was 58900, actual reading was 58308.
    Its now the 24th August and meter only reads 58624.

I have spent hours on this, emails, phone calls, online messaging and got nowhere after almost 2 months trying.
    I am now considering taking them to the small claims court to get my money back.

Let's look on the bright side

Your experience with EDF appears to have made you return to MSE 7(seven) years after you left, which itself was only a few months after you originally joined.

Your posts are considered extremely valuable and this MSE forum really needs posters like yourself to keep this place alive.

Welcome back, and now you have broken the 7 year absence, perhaps we can all enjopy a lot more posts by you in the near future
    • bri160356
    • By bri160356 31st Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    bri160356
    Exit feedback:

My son recently moved away from EDF to Avro energy;...the switch-over to Avro took 35 days and was completed on 10th August.

35 days seems to be at the top end of the switching process but Iím not sure if that was down to EDF or Avro.

However, EDF have today refunded his Ďcredití (£145) and it only took 21 days to come through,...so full marks to EDF for their refund process.

He was with EDF for just over a year and his move to Avro was motivated solely by the lure of a much cheaper tariff.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 6th Sep 18, 9:48 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    My dual fuel switch from npower to EDF completed today. The switch went quite smoothly and I had regular email updates from EDF. I've submitted my opening meter readings and I have my own spreadsheets to keep track of my meter readings, bills and payments (just in case there are any surprises). But so far, so good. The online account portal is easy to use.

I needed to ask a few questions about my Direct Debit and found out that queries are dealt with via live chat or email, so no option to contact via phone. Not a big deal but something I wasn't expecting.
    Last edited by lloydyyy; 06-09-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Clarity
    • donslosers
    • By donslosers 6th Sep 18, 1:16 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    donslosers
    I'm an existing customer and applied for MSE Cheapenergyclub Exclusive Easy Online tariff over a fortnight ago. No word since and EDF now claim not to have received the application and have no knowledge of the tariff.

According to Cheapenergyclub, delay is due to EDF having problems processing all tariff switches.

But I experienced problems switching to EDF originally, and had to make a complaint. However, since then, things have run smoothly, which is why I thought it would be easiest to continue with them.

How wrong was that!

So...mixed review.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 6th Sep 18, 5:12 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Futuristic
    Helped a friend switch from EON to EDF and no issues, just got the first reading request. My EDF>EDF switch form MSE meanwhile no updates like everyone else.

I just went on live chat, they said they can see it in process and email will be sent once done..

To be honest, the old fix is way cheaper so if they switch in the last week of Sept that's pretty good
    Last edited by Futuristic; 06-09-2018 at 6:04 PM.
    • Orinoko
    • By Orinoko 11th Sep 18, 9:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Orinoko
    I started my switch from EDF blue price freeze Feb 19 to the edf exclusive sept 19 via the cheap energy club on August 22nd, heard nothing so live chatted with someone yesterday and sent them the confirmation and screen shot with the details and they have just emailed me back saying the switch is successful - so I'm pleased, always had good service from them.

Money saving cheap energy page is still staying in progress though - will I still get my cashback?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Sep 18, 11:28 PM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Money saving cheap energy page is still staying in progress though - will I still get my cashback?
    Originally posted by Orinoko
    CEC will wait for confirmation of the switch completion from EDF before paying the cashback.
    • Former Royal
    • By Former Royal 14th Sep 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Former Royal
    Hi all
    Have been with EDF for 2 years with a below average dual fuel use, plus an aversion to current smart meters. Have been bombarded with the usual e mails (ignored) and now have to renew contract or move. EDF have a reasonable deal but only if you accept the fitment of their smart meter. To avoid having a smart meter they will offer you a similar deal but at basically £125 more! As it's a 1st version of the smart meter do you think it worthwhile to accept the s.m. and pay less or hold out on having one fitted and pay the extra £125 per year? I am concerned that the smart meters will mean difficulty in future changing supplier and in their current reliability. Is this just a ploy to get their government quotas of smart meters fitted? What happened to CHOICE - oh I know - you have to pay extra for that !! So no change there then. Anyone else come against this dilemma?
    Cheers guys F.R.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 14th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Is this just a ploy to get their government quotas of smart meters fitted?
    Originally posted by Former Royal
    That's my take on the matter. Suppliers are fined for not meeting their quota of smart-meter installations.

Whether it is worth sacrificing £125-worth of savings is a question only you can answer.

Edit
    It may be worth doing a whole-of-market energy comparison to see if you can get a better deal elsewhere without the need for a smart meter.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 14-09-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    • Former Royal
    • By Former Royal 15th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Former Royal
    Thanks Consumerist
    Hi
    Seems that for a low consumer most switch/advice sites don't actually beat EDF on tarriffs.
    Only way is to go to a newbie provider whose track records are difficult to ascertain due to few customer reviews. Just a shame the In their effort to comply with this government's policy (which I believe to be flawed on smart meters at present) they are happy to allow companies to penalise consumers by bullying them into taking a smart meter, from which there appears no benefits to savvy energy consumers - roll on smets version 2. Think I'll use some savings just to avoid their fitting this one.
    Regards - F.R.
    ( ps: if I'm not careful I could end up typing this in the dark eh lol🤔&#128548
    pps - mind you come the big fade out we all may be in the dark
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 15th Sep 18, 2:24 PM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Be aware that you cannot be forced to have a smart meter installed.

Another option, involving a bit more research for you, is to consider splitting your energy supplies between two suppliers to get a better overall deal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,476Users online

Martin's Twitter