Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:14 PM
    Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:14 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Edf Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly??
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 1:10 PM.
Page 10
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 6,041 Posts
    • 3,719 Thanks
    Hengus
    I found an interesting <article> on the Octopus Energy site which explains the process for meter readings when switching supplier.

I suspect that a reading may have been rejected by the verifying body and not by EDF themselves, as they claimed.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    Just to add to the above:

Disputes can only be raised if the difference between the readings is sufficiently high. If the difference is more than 1200 kWh for gas, or 250 kWh for electricity, then the dispute can be raised; if the difference is within these values, the readings are deemed to be accurate, and the dispute cannot be raised. These are the values set by OFGEM, to regulate disputes.

It is worth pointing out that even with a 1199kWh discrepancy for gas there is no question of the consumer paying for the same energy twice.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 21st Apr 18, 12:38 PM
    • 4,846 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Consumerist
    By happy coincidence I've just received EDF's annual summary of my consumption. Since I haven't given them a meter reading for 3 months (now due) I assume this has been based on "industry" estimates (Xoserve ?).

However, knowing my EDF opening meter readings and also the last readings, 3 months ago, I was able to establish the industry estimate of my usage over the final 3 months of the contract.

Fortunately, my actual usage in that time is well within the 2.5x allowable margin. I'm hoping there will be no problems with my closing reads - but we'll see.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • SarahB57
    • By SarahB57 1st May 18, 11:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SarahB57
    Massive Direct Debit Estimate!
    Having compared prices and realising I could save over 300 per year, I recently switched from British Gas to EDF. I provided EDF with details of my gas and electricity usage for last year (the total cost of which was 1290.71) and sat back while the switch was organised.
    Today I received an email from EDF informing me that my Direct Debit was going to be one twelfth of their estimate of what I would use in a year - 5988.00! What??? 499 per month???
    They very kindly offered to make a refund at the end of the year IF I HAD OVERPAID.
    Well EDF, Im very sorry but I would prefer to be making some interest on that money myself, rather than you having the benefit of doing this!
    Although the gent from the online help adjusted the monthly DD to the amount I requested, I wonder how many people are being caught out by this? How much of your money will be in EDFs coffers earning interest for them instead of you?
    Id really like to hear whether this has happened to anyone else and how others have dealt with the problem.
    Thank you!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 2nd May 18, 12:01 AM
    • 4,846 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . Today I received an email from EDF informing me that my Direct Debit was going to be one twelfth of their estimate of what I would use in a year - 5988.00! What??? 499 per month???
    . . .
    Although the gent from the online help adjusted the monthly DD to the amount I requested, I wonder how many people are being caught out by this? How much of your money will be in EDF!!!8217;s coffers earning interest for them instead of you? . . .
    Originally posted by SarahB57
    It seems that there was something of a hiccup in their system but you say they have put it right when you raised a query. It seems to me that such a large discrepancy wouldn't go unnoticed by most.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 02-05-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 2nd May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    dogshome
    My experiences with EDF were that the website was good and they made contact easy.

What was not so good were the frequent notices on the bill of Direct Debit increases
    1) At tariff change times, it was expected that the higher new prices would trigger a D/D increase, but the demands notified were out of all proportion - A local low income family who's account I monitor, had a demand that would pay off their entire annual bill in just 7 months.
    2) A recent bill showed a 160 debt, which triggered a 13 D/Debit increase demand
    However this bill covered 92 days, but due to it's dating only two D/D's had been collected, but just 6 days after the bill date a further 80 payment was collected, bringing the debt down to Appx 80, which bearing in mind it is the end of winter is to be expected, and a deficit that will quickly eradicated over the Summer months
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,233Posts Today

8,363Users online

Martin's Twitter