Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Co-operative Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 3:55 PM
    Co-operative Energy reviews: Give your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 3:55 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Co-operative Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part.
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 11-09-2017 at 1:13 PM.
Page 36
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 11th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    You are splitting hairs to suggest the DD had not been cancelled on Co-op's system because my bank would have rejected any request for payment, anyway. That is what the Direct Debit Guarantee is supposed to guarantee, is it not?
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    I'm not splitting hairs at all. My reply is based on what you yourself posted:
    I cancelled my DD as soon as my new supplier confirmed the switch of both fuels. Co-op refunded my overpayment to my bank account without the DD being active.
    Ergo either the DD was not in fact cancelled by the Co-op Energy on their system or your bank details are recorded elsewhere on the Co-op Energy system.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Mar 18, 12:39 PM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I'm not splitting hairs at all. My reply is based on what you yourself posted:

Ergo either the DD was not in fact cancelled by the Co-op Energy on their system or your bank details are recorded elsewhere on the Co-op Energy system.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    It doesn't matter a jot whether Co-op had my bank details in their system. For all I know, they still have them now The point was that they couldn't take any more money from my bank i.e. the direct debit was cancelled.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    It doesn't matter a jot whether Co-op had my bank details in their system. For all I know, they still have them now The point was that they couldn't take any more money from my bank i.e. the direct debit was cancelled.
    But they still had your bank details in order for them to send the refund to your bank. That's my point. Ergo they cannot have cancelled the Direct debit on their system. That's also my point.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 12th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Consumerist
    But they still had your bank details in order for them to send the refund to your bank. That's my point. Ergo they cannot have cancelled the Direct debit on their system. That's also my point.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Again, you are splitting hairs.

I agree that they must have had a record of my bank account details. But it was not an active direct debit they had because it had been cancelled by me and no payments to them could have been made by using the (cancelled) DD mandate.

There was no record at on my bank account of a payment request from Co-op Energy (which would have been subsequently refunded) so I must assume that no further requests were made from Co-op using the DD mandate -- or my bank intercepted the request for payment before it even reached my account.

In any event the DD had been cancelled AND they refunded my credit balance to my bank account.

This gets us to the original point that energy companies do not need to keep the DD in place -- they merely prefer it so they can continue to collect DD payments after customers have left them.

Since the "regulator" will not step in to help energy customers it's down to us to do it for ourselves.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,331Posts Today

5,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin