Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 30th Apr 07, 12:33 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Frodo give Sam the money?
    • 30th Apr 07, 12:33 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Frodo give Sam the money? 30th Apr 07 at 12:33 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Frodo give Sam the money?

Frodo collects cash off his friends Sam and Pippin and buys them a ticket to see a folk gig; yet something comes up so Sam can’t make it and asks Frodo if he knows anyone who wants a ticket. Frodo advertises the ticket around his office and manages to make £40 on it. He tells Sam the story and gives him his original cash back, but Sam thinks he should get the money as it was his ticket, but Frodo says he did all the hard work.

Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Frodo give Sam the money?

Previous MMDs: Should Jack claim cashback at his company's expense? and hould Darth take money from his kids accounts?
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 30-04-2007 at 12:40 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • Saucepot
    • 30th Apr 07, 1:43 PM
    • 30th Apr 07, 1:43 PM
    Maybe they ought to consider it over a pipe and second breakfast. Or ask Gandalf.
  • Fifer
    • 30th Apr 07, 3:20 PM
    • 30th Apr 07, 3:20 PM
    Can we consider the morality of ticket touting in this one too? I believe it's illegal in the US.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012

• nej
    • By nej 30th Apr 07, 4:25 PM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nej
    • 30th Apr 07, 4:25 PM
    • 30th Apr 07, 4:25 PM
    Split the profit, simple.
  • Saucepot
    • 1st May 07, 2:02 PM
    • 1st May 07, 2:02 PM
    The hobbits in question are not ticket touting as such. Touts buy up tickets with the express wish of selling them on, believing the equilibrium price to be above the issue price.

Whats occuring in this question is someone (a hobbit) bought a ticket to event they wanted to go to and upon finding they cannot attempt to recover the ticket price.

I wouldn't call them ticket touts, and think thats a seperate question.
    • ukmonkey
    • By ukmonkey 1st May 07, 8:31 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    ukmonkey
    • 1st May 07, 8:31 PM
    • 1st May 07, 8:31 PM
    Frodo should halve the profits with Sam.

If it wasn't for Frodo doing the leg work, the ticket wouldn't have sold. If it wasn't for Sam giving up the ticket, Frodo wouldn't have made a profit.

Simple!
  • bandraoi
    • 1st May 07, 8:37 PM
    • 1st May 07, 8:37 PM
    The money is Frodo's.
    He bought the ticket - he took the risk
    He sold the ticket - he did the leg work.

Sam never had anything to do with that ticket, other than being the original purchaser, he pulled out, it was Frodo's to sell, he sold it, it's his money.
  • scottytrotter
    • 1st May 07, 8:51 PM
    • 1st May 07, 8:51 PM
    Agree with Bandraoi. Absolutely. Frodo did all the work, should keep the money.
  • W_s_n
    • 1st May 07, 9:33 PM
    • 1st May 07, 9:33 PM
    Nope, they should split the profits
    I moved here from Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) in 1980. I went to Borrowdale Primary School.
  • kalico
    Sam should be happy he got his money back. He could have sold the ticket on himself, and therefore took the profit, but he asked Frodo to do it. So Frodo nets the cash.
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 1st May 07, 10:38 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    Sam should be happy he got his money back. He could have sold the ticket on himself, and therefore took the profit, but he asked Frodo to do it. So Frodo nets the cash.
    Originally posted by kalico
    Couldn't have put it better myself
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • Mattjimf
    • By Mattjimf 1st May 07, 11:13 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Mattjimf
    I've actually been in this situation, bought tickets for T in the park a few years ago, one of my mates couldn't make it, he had paid me for his ticket, but wasn't happy when i only gave him the price for the ticket back. Ended up with me splitting the cash with him, even though most of our friends thought he was being petty over it, as he wasn't actually out of pocket at the end of the day.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
    • shimmeronhorizons
    • By shimmeronhorizons 1st May 07, 11:33 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    shimmeronhorizons
    Sam should get nothing but his original payment - he's a fat, stupid hobbitses!

Frodo did all the legwork, and I'm betting paid for the ticket originally. All he need do is give Sam a 'refund' of his original payment. Any subsequent transactions are entirely of his own doing and thus to his benefit.

This is business - friendship shouldn't come into it...
  • tr3mor
    I think Frodo should keep the money. If Sam had paid for the ticket and organised selling it himself then he would get the money.
    • grayme-m
    • By grayme-m 2nd May 07, 6:35 AM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    grayme-m
    Originally posted by kalico
    Ditto from me too; though why even bother telling Sam you made a profit?

If you knew you had to sell the ticket and give any profit away, why would you bother selling it for more than face?

Would Sam be happy if he'd got less than face value for the ticket?
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 2nd May 07, 6:38 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Enterprise
    The money is Frodo's.
    He bought the ticket - he took the risk
    He sold the ticket - he did the leg work.

Sam never had anything to do with that ticket, other than being the original purchaser, he pulled out, it was Frodo's to sell, he sold it, it's his money.
    Originally posted by bandraoi
    Absolutely spot on
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 2nd May 07, 7:08 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    Frodo should keep ALL the profit. Dont know why he bothered telling Sam that he made a bit extra out of it in the 1st place!!!!
  • gazbert
    What about the other way round? If Frodo had only managed to get less than the value of the ticket would Sam be happy to stump up the difference?
    Marillion - A Better Way of Life.
    • liney
    • By liney 2nd May 07, 8:38 AM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 8,245 Thanks
    liney
    Sam should be grateful that he has recouped his £40 for the ticket he couldnt use, and Frodo should keep the extra money for his trouble.
    • grayme-m
    • By grayme-m 2nd May 07, 8:40 AM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    grayme-m
    Do you hear an echo?

Thinking about this some more, I can see why Sam would be miffed, if he'd sold the ticket he'd have been 40 better off....

But he didn't, so maybe it should come down to, was he going to but Frodo sold it first as soon as Sam said he wasn't going (in which case 50/50 split?)

It's a bit like when I was going to sell my bike to my brother-in-law for 80, but first he wanted to trial it.

His whole shed got stolen (including my bike), and the insurance paid out 200 for the bike (on top of the rest); he gave me my 80...

Technically I was no worse off than if I'd just sold it to him (so I didn't demand any more), but it did smart a bit that he'd made 120 for doing nothing...
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,599Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin