Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 12th Apr 05, 7:00 PM
    • 1,330Posts
    • 706Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    Crispy roast potatoes
    • 12th Apr 05, 7:00 PM
    Crispy roast potatoes 12th Apr 05 at 7:00 PM
    My method for the tastiest roast potatoes is -

Drizzle them with olive oil, shake a little garlic powder over them and for extra flavour, crumble a little chicken Oxo over them before they go in.

Stick 'em in the top shelf of a very hot oven and turn after 15 mins.

Scrumptious!
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Page 1
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 12th Apr 05, 7:23 PM
    • 12th Apr 05, 7:23 PM
    For my roasties while the oil is heating in the roasting tin I parboil the tates for a minute in the pressure cooker or bring to boil and continue boiling for a couple of minutes in a pan, Drain well and shake in the pan with seasoned flour, or with the above seasonings.

If your tates are hot and dry when they hit the hot oil in the roasting tin you get crispy roasties. Rumbling them by shaking them in the pan, before they get seasoned gives you more crunch factor. You do need to start with slightly larger tates as you loose some in the rumbling.
  • Lillibet
    • 13th Apr 05, 7:02 AM
    • 13th Apr 05, 7:02 AM
    My method is if they aren't crispy enough when the chicken is done.......stick 'em under the grill for a few minutes!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 13th Apr 05, 8:30 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 13th Apr 05, 8:30 AM
    • 13th Apr 05, 8:30 AM
    I use all sorts of spices with my spuds, my latest one is Cajun or jerk seasoning, sprinkle in the oil, heat it up, bung in the spuds and coat all over. MMmmmm
    • Pal
    • By Pal 13th Apr 05, 8:35 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Pal
    • 13th Apr 05, 8:35 AM
    • 13th Apr 05, 8:35 AM
    Use Goose Fat to roast them in. Can't be beaten IMO.
  • rchddap1
    • 13th Apr 05, 9:32 AM
    • 13th Apr 05, 9:32 AM
    This is my mother's tip (never tried it myself). She first cooks the potatoes and when they are slightly fluffy she tosses them in flour. Then in the oven with oil drizzled over the top and some rosemary.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 13th Apr 05, 10:21 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:21 AM
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:21 AM
    Use Goose Fat to roast them in. Can't be beaten IMO.
    by Pal
    I agree, and duck fat or beef dripping works just as well. The trick is to get the fat as hot as you can (same as for yorkshires) so once they hit the pan (having been par-boiled and roughed up in the pan with seasoning as described above) they immediately create a seal which stops them absorbing fat and going soggy, and they come out lovely and crunchy on the outsides
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• MegsMum
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:43 AM
    Crispy roasties
    • 13th Apr 05, 10:43 AM
    I par boil mine for 10 mins, while the oil is heating, and then drain and roughen them up in the collander. The secret to really crispy ones is the heat of the oil, if the oil is not hot enough you can put the roasting tray over a gas ring while you put the potatoes in. When you put them in the oil spoon some oil over the top. I use half vegetable oil and half olive oil and add a large knob of butter after the potatoes go in.. Keep an eye on them and turn them over when golden on one side. Delicious!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 13th Apr 05, 11:23 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 13th Apr 05, 11:23 AM
    • 13th Apr 05, 11:23 AM
    I also do as Delia does, parboil them, drain the water, put the lid back on the pan and give them a good bash. Then put them in the oven with hot oil and pour some over the top.
  • tigs78
    Beef Dripping?!
    I'm going to be doing a 'proper roast' for the first time in years and would be really grateful for some tips.

First things first....

Roasties - I've taken Curry_Queen's advice and bought some beef dripping, it's a 500g block... I'm guessing that i just put it in the tray to melt but how much do I use, is it just enough to coat the surface/grease the tray or is it like cooking oil ie) 1cm deep? Also what temp should the oven be at - the beef joint says 190c/Gas 4, is this too low for the potatoes and if so what is a happy medium for the two?

I'm going to cook a joint (700g) of Silverside Beef, the only thing is I like it really rare and my dining partner likes it welldone... does the oven have to be at different temperatures for rare/welldone or is it just a case of leaving his in for longer? I've drafted in Aunt Bessie for the yorkies so they should be just fine!

I'd be grateful for any input as my usual idea of cooking is microwaving a ready meal, that's all going to change now thanks to discovering this site...who knows I might even save some money!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Apr 05, 7:19 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Roasties - I've taken Curry_Queen's advice and bought some beef dripping, it's a 500g block... I'm guessing that i just put it in the tray to melt but how much do I use, is it just enough to coat the surface/grease the tray or is it like cooking oil ie) 1cm deep? Also what temp should the oven be at
    by tigs78
    I use about a third of a block of beef dripping in a medium roasting tin, so there's half an inch or so depth when melted, just enough to baste the spuds easily once I put them in. Cook for about 40-50 mins at gas 7.

I'm going to cook a joint (700g) of Silverside Beef, the only thing is I like it really rare and my dining partner likes it welldone... does the oven have to be at different temperatures for rare/welldone or is it just a case of leaving his in for longer?
    Personally, I wouldn't roast a silverside joint (prefer to use sirloin or rib for roasting) as it's quite a tough, coarse part of the carcass and I've had much better results from pot-roasting. This is ideal for the slow cooker if you have one, or if not, place in a casserole with a tight fitting lid (or foil) and cook on a bed of veggies with some stock/wine in the bottom. If you do decide to roast it, do it long and slow (gas 2-3) for best results and take it out and leave to rest, wrapped in foil, while you do your potatoes.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
    ~

• aeuerby
    I always thought I couldn't do crispy roast potato's until I discovered maris piper potato's. I do as most of the others per boil then shake the pan and put in hot oil. I do keep meaning to buy some beef dripping but keep forgetting!

If you can't get maris piper get king edwards.

Angela.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 17th Apr 05, 9:41 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Did some extra crispy roasties the other day and they are in the freezer. What's the best way of re-heating them? I haven't put my oven on as I'm using the slow-cooker today, but I do have a combi microwave so could put that on. I'm assuming that you defrost them and then a quick cook in a hot oven to get them crisp? (Can't be for too long as I left them a bit long in oven when cooking, so are already quite brown - tip therefore - use timer so you don't forget the extra spuds!)
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Apr 05, 10:27 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I've got some left over roasties in the freezer too that I was going to use today, but to be honest I've not given it much thought to how I'm going to re-heat them ... and they're still in the freezer LOL! :rolleyes:

I would assume they'd be ok done from frozen in the oven, the same as Aunt Bessie's ones, or are her's only half-cooked :confused:

Hmmmm better have a think about this one or it'll end up being a mash day :rolleyes:
    ~

• Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 17th Apr 05, 10:56 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    It's OK CQ - mine are still in the freezer (and my Tesco's natural yog is at least as old as yours )
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Apr 05, 11:01 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    It's OK CQ - mine are still in the freezer (and my Tesco's natural yog is at least as old as yours )
    by Ticklemouse

... it reminds me of a programme or film I once saw where there was a separate dimension living parallel to ours, only they did everything in mirror image ... spooky!!!
    ~

• Ted_Hutchinson
    I've got some left over roasties in the freezer too that I was going to use today, but to be honest I've not given it much thought to how I'm going to re-heat them
    by Curry_Queen
    Potato CurryQuite a lot of Indian Curry recipes use pre-fried potatoes and left over roast potatoes are I find an ideal substitute.
    Edit, you wouldn't need to cook till tender so using pre-cooked roast tates, it would be an almost instant meal.
    Last edited by Ted_Hutchinson; 17-04-2005 at 12:02 PM.
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 17th Apr 05, 4:38 PM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    I made roasties today using frylite spray oil and they turned out yummy.Parboil the potatoes and shake to ruffle them up, then on a tray lined with tinfoil, spray surface wth frylte and spray your spuds. Bung em in the oven and turn a couple of times until golden and toasted.
    • skye
    • By skye 18th Apr 05, 11:55 AM
    • 275 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    skye
    My auntie puts little knife slits in her roast potatoes to make them crisper - they're very nice.
  • tigs78
    We have a winner!
    I agree, and duck fat or beef dripping works just as well. The trick is to get the fat as hot as you can (same as for yorkshires) so once they hit the pan (having been par-boiled and roughed up in the pan with seasoning as described above) they immediately create a seal which stops them absorbing fat and going soggy, and they come out lovely and crunchy on the outsides
    by Curry_Queen
    It's official, I made a 'proper roast' for the first time in years following Curry_Queen's tips (beef dripping)and they were out of this world.... even better than my Mum used to make them!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

843Posts Today

7,571Users online

Martin's Twitter