Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Here's the cheese n pineapple (artfully arranged in foil hedgehog as is traditional :rotfl:)

Also the dance pole, since it was so popular last time - not that I can remember how to do anything with it, but Kerri can demonstrate and I'm sure the cider will help my memory :rotfl:

Rosa xx

Oh yes, HAS to be a foil hedgehog. I went on a boat trip once where people did 'cheese and pineapple' it was flipping mozzarella balls with fresh pineapple - now that is NOT acceptable as cheese and pineapple :rotfl::rotfl:

Any excuse for me to have a shimmy round the pole too - happy to oblige :D
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK :money: new month review and update...

All pretty much in line, except for one slip-up... I had the most e-nor-mouse electric bill and after cursing the company, realised I had left two of the timed heaters on weekend settings so they have been keeping the cats all cosy while I have been at work :mad:. As it's now spring I have switched off all but the timer heater in the bedroom. I do need to use the one that dries clothes as tried leaving it off and wondered why the flat smelt damp yesterday - but it's now on manual.

I bought a couple of house things in Tatco and a beautiful granite pestle and mortar crept into my bag and came home with me. However, I have some Clubc4ard points and don't use them for anything else, so have now printed the vouchers and will return it to re-pay with those. That means it was only £4 which is excusable :)

I've been gift shopping today and though I'm pleased with the presents I chose, was narked at the cost of cards and wrap in Smiths - so in future I will try and be more organised, and get some wrap from Wilko's, theirs is usually good quality for a better price. The gifts pot is looking a bit low and I may need to top it up later in the year but will leave it for now.

As all the cards are now paid, I'm looking at how much I can pay off the car loan. So far I don't have a lot of extra this month, but there should be the broadband cashback coming and possibly the pay arrears, so those can go towards it if available. I'd like to get rid of it with April and May paycheques if possible. I am still in the process of setting up my 'earning' current accounts and will try and do some 3bay photos to get a few quid that way.

Not much other news as it's all about studying til the end of May... but will be out to the farmer's market tomorrow - I am trying to buy eggs and a few other things from there instead of the supermarket.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    How was the farmer's market? I love farmer's market's. What did you buy? Will you be able to visit on a regular basis?

I hope the studying is going well

DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the heating mishap but you know I can relate as I'm a lot like that myself. I now only trust myself to manually switch on my heating too.

How was the farmers market? I really need to find a good one nearby!

MTxx
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the big bill :( bet the moggies loved it though ;-)
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    The farmer's market is fab - I've started to go regularly as I can pick up eggs, fish and the most amazing hot chocolate :D and a friend lives nearby so we meet up for a wander round. So much easier than the one where I used to live that was on a weekday lunchtime.

Paid for first class post for the gifts and was a bit :eek: at the total I've now spent on each, but too late and I am pleased with what I chose. I should probably try and work out a reasonable budget for this though, as I do tend to always overspend on the gift and forget the additional costs as well.

My electric is up for renewal, so will hopefully get the costs down overall as well as being a bit more careful! The mogs are already supplied with beds and duvet as well as fur so they will manage.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Holifx account successfully switched and £100 landed in it ready to help pay off car loan :T. T5B ready to go - I will set it up on the weekend and transfer the necessary £500.

I've finally signed up for Sw4gbuck5 - went through the MSE link which should help get to a voucher faster. I've also downloaded an app which should get me a lot of points towards it and cunningly put it on my old back-up phone so it's not taking up space on my current one or sharing more data than necessary :D.

I'm wondering about tracking how much I can make per month from non-pay income. Then started worrying about whether things like cashback should count for tax purposes and decided to leave all that until exam is over and car loan paid. If I get through the exam I will be able to consider setting up in (very) part time practice so will have to learn my way around things then... so not going to face it til I have to!

Oh and I heard today that the job I didn't get would have started on a much lower salary than I thought, so the universe has definitely got it right by not putting me in a position where I'd have to choose!

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Rosa,

Yay to new account and money landing in it already!

Are you aware that there are 3 phone SB apps? There's the SBTV, one called Lifestylz and one called Sportly. I have an iPhone and these are all in the app store. SBTV needs 5 videos watched for 2SB, while the other 2 need 15 videos for 2SB. As I say, they play in the background for me. I also do the daily poll on their website for 1 more and use their search engine at home as you get the odd award there too.

That's a great confirmation that the universe is taking care of you in that role. There's definitely a whole world of opportunities out there for you.

MTxx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    Hello Rosa,

Are you aware that there are 3 phone SB apps? There's the SBTV, one called Lifestylz and one called Sportly. I have an iPhone and these are all in the app store. SBTV needs 5 videos watched for 2SB, while the other 2 need 15 videos for 2SB. As I say, they play in the background for me. I also do the daily poll on their website for 1 more and use their search engine at home as you get the odd award there too.

MTxx

I now know I am officially technologically lacking as this whole quote is in another language :o
    I hope the studying is going well :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 8 April 2016 at 8:41PM
    Options
    Thanks MT - I have an Android phone, and I'm not sure I will remember to watch videos every day. So far I've progressed by spotting swag codes and taking up some app offers on my old phone - I should have enough in a while for the voucher and then will see if I want to continue. (And don't worry DIA, you're not technologically challenged, you are real world focused.)

I think it might be time to redo my vision board. The idea of having finally finished college and being qualified in something I really want to do is just wonderful and I am so hoping to pass in May. It will open up a lot of options. I'm so pleased I decided to finish it as I now feel much more chilled about my day job and where life might take me!

12924432_670205133121071_6838682426007129459_n.jpg?oh=b621fac3862d0fd2c151358ddadf1781&oe=577ECA86

Look what a friend of mine posted today. Perfect eh? :)

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family