Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,669Posts
    • 10,348Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 14%

Page 99
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 2nd Jan 19, 12:18 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Thank you for all your help Rosa Happy New Year XXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer

Happy new year Buffy. I hope it brings you lovely things

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 2nd Jan 19, 7:14 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Gratitude and goals again
    Today I am grateful for my buffer fund and all the progress I've made since I've been here, and therefore to you lot

The remortgage has completed but only after the direct debit came out - and not only that, it's gone out as the variable rate so about £350 more than usual. Having spoken to the conveyancers and the old mortgage company, it should be returned in 5 working days but of course there were times when that would have been a problem. Very glad I decided to keep funds readily available even if it does mean a small interest payment on the CC (which will now be cleared once the mortgage direct debit is safely returned).

As for goals, I realised I only have one for 2019 and that's to be happy. I'm very grateful to realise that there is nothing I need to achieve and nothing I need to do for my security at present, so I can focus on other aspects of my life. Of course there will be things that come out of my happiness aspiration, but I'm hoping that one guiding principle will make my decisions easier

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 02-01-2019 at 7:21 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 2nd Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 2,566 Posts
    • 22,729 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Happy new year Rosa

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £450/£2070
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 2nd Jan 19, 7:35 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Happy new year Rosa

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree

Happy new year to you too Wannabe. I hope it brings you and your small ones happy times

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 2nd Jan 19, 8:29 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 13,345 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I very much like your happiness target, sounds eminently sensible to me.
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 3rd Jan 19, 8:04 AM
    • 2,205 Posts
    • 6,812 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello Rosa,

They do say that the key to a happy and beautiful life is to be grateful for what you have, which you've nailed there. You're also so productive and face challenges head on, so it's good to see you reap those benefits.

What a lovely start to the year.

MTx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Jan 19, 9:03 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hello Rosa,

They do say that the key to a happy and beautiful life is to be grateful for what you have, which you've nailed there. You're also so productive and face challenges head on, so it's good to see you reap those benefits.

What a lovely start to the year.

MTx
    Originally posted by MuffinTops

Thanks MT.

I think being productive in different ways is going to be part of changes this year. I am in the process of leaving my extra contract work and they are basically trying to make me feel bad about it, but I want that time for creative and social things much more than I want to be in their good books any more

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Jan 19, 4:21 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Early shuffle because I am procrastinating about something else I'm supposed to be doing

All on track, YNAB matches up and all being well I will be back in the black (by my own rules) this payday. I cheat on YNAB by entering pay for the calendar month as otherwise I can't tell how much of each paycheque I have left after the necessaries. I may have some work for the house to pay for and I need to build the buffer fund back up properly, but it's all plodding in the right direction.

The remortgage has been confirmed completed and if the direct debit isn't returned to my account tomorrow first thing I'll be phoning the old company to get it sorted (they said it should be returned within 5 working days).

I accidentally went to the Swedish store and have come back with a piece of furniture I don't really need... so I think that will stay in its box and can be returned. Also accidentally went in one of the other homeware stores and wandered around with the spendy itches until I remembered that I have now furnished the house and have very little excuse to buy anything. Except a shower curtain, so I bought one of those and took myself out of there before I could spend on anything else . I have a clothes order arriving tomorrow, but it's half price and stuff I really wanted to try so that's OK.

Right I suppose I'd better go and get on with what I'm meant to be doing
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 06-01-2019 at 4:26 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jan 19, 4:44 PM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 22,257 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    The Swedish store is hugely tempting.

Enjoy your new clothes. I am itching for mine to come too. I have been decluttering clothes, so a few new pieces that I love will be very welcome
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 6th Jan 19, 5:58 PM
    • 2,205 Posts
    • 6,812 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person who accidentally enters shops to find the spendy itches are happening. At least it didn't take you long to talk yourself out of those itches.

Why do people have to try to make you feel bad to get you to keep them in their comfort zone. I'm glad you've decided to take care of yourself on this.

MTxx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Jan 19, 10:38 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Thanks MT

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person who accidentally enters shops to find the spendy itches are happening. At least it didn't take you long to talk yourself out of those itches.

I think it's partly just not being used to having 'spare money'. I have got accustomed to paying the van loan (though not yet the idea that I am spending on two vehicles which still freaks me out ) and I'm not sure what else I really want to do. I think it might help if I set a savings target and I might up my social budget - I don't go out as much as I'd like, and I actually can afford to now.

Why do people have to try to make you feel bad to get you to keep them in their comfort zone. I'm glad you've decided to take care of yourself on this.

I think in this instance it's just really poor management skills. I have tried to help improve the system and I'm being ignored, which I actually find quite insulting given my experience - so I don't see any hope of it changing and there are so many other things I could do. I've also learned through doing this that I don't want to take my career in that particular direction so the costs are just way over the benefits. It is also unpredictable - and has no need to be - and I'm already finding that the idea of getting rid of it is worth it just to be rid of the anxiety that a pile of work will arrive just when I have arranged other things. So yes, I am taking care of me this time

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Jan 19, 6:43 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Stopping by to help keep myself on track

Mortgage refund sorted. In the process of negotiating my way out of extra contract, as realised I ideally want the last payment to come in otherwise I will be a bit behind for taxes. I know I'll have a year to save it up but as it's an honorary contract not payment for hours worked I am hoping I can just put off the final word while I finish up last bits and the last payment comes in.

A repair made on the house yesterday, the guy who came to quote came with a recommendation from a friend and seemed good. He offered to fit it in today if I was comfortable making the decision and I decided to go with it as it prevents any further damage and saves spending more of my time finding other people to quote. So the repayment to buffer fund is slightly less, but it's fine as the work actually cost much less than I expected.

Sent back sale shopping returns, not cheap but I am still well in profit given how much I saved and I'm really happy with what I bought. I'm very much with DIA on the philosophy of buying the best I can afford and only things I love.

I'm also suddenly feeling a bit more motivated after talking about FlyLady to Aaleigha and have been trying to squeeze in tiny jobs here and there. So a wall washed that has needed doing for ages; the office tidied; the bathroom swiped. I am not finished decluttering - everything is basically piled in the spare room - but think I need to combine it with room cleaning now otherwise the ones I have done will get a bit out of hand.

I will be sorting the living room later in the month and thinking about a sofa vs sofabed. I'm beginning to think it would be better to spend the extra on a sofabed so that if anyone is in the spare room longer term or if more than one person wants to stay there is a proper (ish) bed for them. Some shopping and thinking to be done there

So keeping on and slowly upwards

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 9:10 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 251,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good to see you checking in
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Jan 19, 1:19 PM
    • 8,732 Posts
    • 46,185 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Good to see things are still on plan for you Rosa and LOVE your happiness goal - what better thing to aim for, eh?! Good that the mortgage all got sorted out too and well done for getting repairs done to the house when needed - it's so easy to lapse into that thing of leaving stuff like that "just a bit longer" and then intertia sets in and nothing gets done.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016

Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£1229 paid - cleared October 2018
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Jan 19, 10:21 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Good to see things are still on plan for you Rosa and LOVE your happiness goal - what better thing to aim for, eh?! Good that the mortgage all got sorted out too and well done for getting repairs done to the house when needed - it's so easy to lapse into that thing of leaving stuff like that "just a bit longer" and then intertia sets in and nothing gets done.
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean

Lovely to see you EH

I worry that leaving things will make them more expensive in the long run, so am just pleased that the repair cost less than I expected now.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Jan 19, 10:35 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,348 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Belated Sunday shuffle...

Well I'm about £120 over budget and behind on the buffer fund, but that's having had a house repair, dental work, and my usual ridiculous grocery spend so I don't think it's too bad at all considering. Plus a bit of clothes spending but only the delivery charge for something I'm returning (it was in the sale but a poor fit on me) and an 3bay bargain so I think that's reasonable. It will just come from the next paycheque and I hope that will be a final catch up.

Things to think about:

Building the buffer fund back up - this can happen slowly
    Garden - think I will get a quote for some help again rather than attempt the garden myself, or it will never get done
    House - next few things are small jobs, must chase the handyman

Not much likely to change income wise or in major expenses over the next few months, but need to think about where I can save as will have the van expenses coming up and want to think about holidays. And I'm fully intending to up my 'fun stuff' type budget lines now that I will have more time free.

So all pretty much in the right direction

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jan 19, 10:42 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 251,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    All in the right direction as you say xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,972Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin