Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,540Posts
    • 9,643Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

Page 95
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 11th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 11,502 Thanks
    redofromstart
    We did a few 'good food' pubs that let you take the van, generally found from here
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    We did a few 'good food' pubs that let you take the van, generally found from here
    Originally posted by redofromstart

Ooh thanks Redo that looks very useful, especially as the kitchen isn't in full operation just yet

I've also found a 'park for the night' app that covers motorway service stations etc - not as scenic but potentially useful if plans change suddenly.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 17,190 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounds so exciting
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Jul 18, 10:45 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I'm stopping by for an update even though I still haven't got my shuffle done - the receipts pile is growing on my desk!

No major spends but do need to claim expenses for a train ticket that wouldn't go through the normal work system. Still 'furnishing' the van, but the good news is that this is helping declutter because the extra bedding, duplicated kitchen utensils and a few small storage boxes are being rehomed there! I'm having to pick up a few bits but am making good use of loyalty points atm - ShopNScan has paid for 2/3 of a steel cafetiere (less breakable than glass), N3ctar points have bought a grater, corkscrew and kitchen scissors and C7ubcard points paid for part of salt and pepper grinders. It sounds like far too much kitchen stuff to be taking but there is cupboard space and I don't want to repeat those student moments of finding that a peeler or grater would save my sanity and fingers, nor do I have any intention of packing this stuff every time I want to escape!

Need to make a couple of calls tomorrow - Bu7b are screwing up my switch and there is a problem with a standing order form where someone forgot to fill in the frequency (not me!) so it has bounced.

Was intending to catch up with my extra contract work tonight but what I've actually done is organise that email inbox. Feels much more doable now that I can see what's waiting and have detoured all the rest. Hoping another couple of weeks will get that and the van project just about done and then... well, we'll see what happens next

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    • 56,162 Posts
    • 227,002 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 18th Jul 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 8,682 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Rosa

When you do come up beyond the wall drop me a message and I'll give you some tips on routes and places to visit / head for. Maybe we could even meet up somewhere

As you say the rules are different up here
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hi Rosa

When you do come up beyond the wall drop me a message and I'll give you some tips on routes and places to visit / head for. Maybe we could even meet up somewhere

As you say the rules are different up here
    Originally posted by UncannyScot

Thanks US that's very kind of you
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 18th Jul 18, 11:18 PM
    • 15,230 Posts
    • 50,620 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Rosa I am so behind! This all sounds bloody brilliant! How cool are you??

I am so jealous, not that I could drive something like that but wow, such freedom and fun

XXXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 20th Jul 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Rosa I am so behind! This all sounds bloody brilliant! How cool are you??

I am so jealous, not that I could drive something like that but wow, such freedom and fun

XXXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer

Buffy!

It really isn't that difficult to drive, I've found it much easier to adjust than I expected. I think sitting high up probably helps. So don't let that hold you back
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 21st Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 6,567 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Rosa, I've just caught up on all your goings on since I was last properly here and I'm so impressed with all of your updates. You've made me look veritably stagnant!

I would also love more of a van life and currently lots of people who post their van expeditions on YouTube. You've really got me thinking about going for that weekend traveller experience. Thank you.

It's been lovely catching up with everything you have going on.

MTxx
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Jul 18, 8:52 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Eeek but still yay

Ok I have finally faced up to YNAB. Accounting for all the van stuff (including servicing and some work in August) and a new mattress, I am 1700 over budget for August and that's after allowing for my extra contract payment and pulling 500 out of the buffer fund. On the other hand, I am not at all sorry - definitely things that bring me joy . I can't believe it took me so long to buy a decent mattress, it's definitely worth it.

Barring disasters things will be back on an even keel in a few months, though then again there are the costs of going away in September to be accounted for. I think there will be less furniture bought over the winter than I thought! I am still paying off the CC in full and just leaving the rest to show in YNAB in red, so that I am reminded not to spend on things that don't bring me their full worth in joy

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• Tinkerbelle2000
    • By Tinkerbelle2000 1st Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    Tinkerbelle2000
    Hello again Rosa

I can't believe the amount you have achieved while I have been absent. I keep doing this don't I but I'm treating today as a new start again. I have been a little spendy the last couple of months so time to reign it in.

I love that you have bought the camper and you can just travel to wherever you like whenever you like. I would be too terrified to drive one no matter how many sensors it had on it lol.

I have totally given up on YNAB at the moment. I am still using my trusty spreadsheet and when I get to a decent savings amount I will try again. It is just not clicking in my brain at all and I usually love programs like that.

Just a quick catch up while I am up to date lol.

Take care.

Tink xx
    As of 1st January 2018:- TOTAL: 2372.02/16591.97
    DEBT 1-38.96 DEBT 2-75.00/141.10 DEBT 3-25.00/297.41DEBT 4 - 35.00/644.12
    DEBT 5-0/700.00 DEBT 6-35.00/720.02 DEBT 7-660.47/1479.65 DEBT 8-514.20/1576.80
    DEBT 9-0/1622.49 DEBT 10-300.00/2300.00 DEBT 11-829.99/2722.44 DEBT 12-0/4349.39
    EMERGENCY FUND - 10/1000
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 1st Aug 18, 7:16 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hello again Rosa

I can't believe the amount you have achieved while I have been absent. I keep doing this don't I but I'm treating today as a new start again. I have been a little spendy the last couple of months so time to reign it in.

I love that you have bought the camper and you can just travel to wherever you like whenever you like. I would be too terrified to drive one no matter how many sensors it had on it lol.

I have totally given up on YNAB at the moment. I am still using my trusty spreadsheet and when I get to a decent savings amount I will try again. It is just not clicking in my brain at all and I usually love programs like that.

Just a quick catch up while I am up to date lol.

Take care.

Tink xx
    Originally posted by Tinkerbelle2000

Hello Tink, lovely to see you!

YNAB doesn't work for everyone, all that matters is you find something that works for you.

I'm just making van plans for escaping later this month! Though interestingly, now that is getting sorted I find I have more energy and ideas for fixing things at home too.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 1st Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Belated Sunday shuffle looks pretty much as before, with the good news that I had counted the van service in but not the extra contract income, so hopefully about 400 less overspent than I thought. However, I'm just looking at fun things I could do if I take the van away so it may end up about the same!
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 56,162 Posts
    • 227,002 Thanks
    beanielou
    Where are you thinking of going for your trip?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 1st Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Where are you thinking of going for your trip?
    Originally posted by beanielou

Hi Beanie

This time I'm thinking just nearby (well, ish, but a couple of hours drive) somewhere a colleague recommended. It turns out to be the next bay along from a friend of mine and I've just heard back from her so will hopefully get to meet up too

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 6th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 6,567 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello Rosa,

It's nice to see that although over budget you're feeling the joy of your decisions. Definitely the way life should be lived. I'm so envious of your camper. I've been looking at some myself, but just can't budget it in just yet.

MTx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 17,190 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    This time I'm thinking just nearby (well, ish, but a couple of hours drive) somewhere a colleague recommended. It turns out to be the next bay along from a friend of mine and I've just heard back from her so will hopefully get to meet up too
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Sounds perfect
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hello Rosa,

It's nice to see that although over budget you're feeling the joy of your decisions. Definitely the way life should be lived. I'm so envious of your camper. I've been looking at some myself, but just can't budget it in just yet.

MTx
    Originally posted by MuffinTops

Hi MT

Do message me if you are thinking seriously about it - it would be nice to share the learning I have already collected!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Aug 18, 11:39 PM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 9,643 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Shuffles and starting things
    Hmmm. Well the shuffle is done and still on track ish - I cannot get YNAB to match precisely but I think it's probably the apps processing incoming transactions, so am not going to worry about it for now.

I had a fab weekend and am now thinking more about things I want to do. A different life is beginning to come into focus as a reality. It's all possible. However, it also means spending differently. I want money for coaching and travel and things. And because I've been here a while - 10 years apparently, MSE reminded me! - I know I can do that. I already had ideas about what next... now they are slowly taking shape. Isn't it exciting? I had forgotten that good, exciting things can also make me nervous, so am having occasional eek moments, but am also beginning to fit things into a bigger plan. So it's all good here

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.9% ...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin