Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,449Posts
    • 9,043Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

Page 90
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,712 Thanks
    beanielou
    You take care of you xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 3rd Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    You do an amazing job with all the shuffling and are ALWAYS honest and positive that is why we love you.

You are the most important and your health and well being is top priority - there will always be other deadlines (SADLY)

Glad you are home and safe.

Someone will be over the moon with that furniture and a few years back that person could have been you or me so sometimes its good to give to get shot and you never know that could make someones day.

You always do the right thing. I hope you are getting some moggie cuddles as well.

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    You do an amazing job with all the shuffling and are ALWAYS honest and positive that is why we love you.

You are the most important and your health and well being is top priority - there will always be other deadlines (SADLY)

Glad you are home and safe.

Someone will be over the moon with that furniture and a few years back that person could have been you or me so sometimes its good to give to get shot and you never know that could make someones day.

You always do the right thing. I hope you are getting some moggie cuddles as well.

Sam x
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    *blushes deeply* thank you

Definite moggy cuddles, they were very pleased to see me home and big cat slept by me most of the day they are soooo good at being chilled and only mindful of the moment

Rosa xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,712 Thanks
    beanielou
    Only interested in food & sleeping

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Only interested in food & sleeping
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yup. And cuddles

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 3rd Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Sounds perfect .... moggies have no bills... no worries

Apart from heat and cuddles and food.
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,712 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yup. And cuddles
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    The most important Maybe

***Keep plodding***
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 3rd Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    I saw this offer and thought so glad didn't go out ...!!

Malteasers 60p a box at co-op.
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 3rd Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I saw this offer and thought so glad didn't go out ...!!

Malteasers 60p a box at co-op.
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    I am saved by the gluten - can't have them

The Daim bar eggs are gone probably best for my sugar intake

Rosa xx

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Apr 18, 12:40 AM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oh dear - had forgotten how fast I get bored with being ill ... have been spending.

Bought an extra milk pan, as it's the only thing I use twice in the day and that causes me to grumble about wanting a dishwasher. I figured it's a whole lot cheaper and greener to buy an extra pan so I can still just do one lot of washing up a day

Ordered a robot hoover - not one of the madly expensive ones, just the cheapest self docking I could find with good reviews. Hoovering is my least favourite chore and hopefully if the robot can keep downstairs a bit more presentable that will lower my stress and resentment levels. Losing a few days to being ill means it's unlikely I will be paying for garden work out of this paycheque so figured it was a next priority.

Been campervan window shopping - not a spend just yet, but think I've found a dealer to visit as they look to focus on the kind of thing I want. Plus they're near family and friends so I can make a weekend of it

Online delivery worked really well and I may make that a regular thing - I thought it would cost me extra for delivery, but as I've now got in the habit of doing stock-ups in the supermarket on the way home from work and topping up with bits from the local shop, it was actually free for my usual spend anyway. Well, less than my spend this time things clicked themselves, honest... hopefully having a usual order list and less time exploring might cut that down!

Rosa xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 14,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    How did I miss you are unwell? I hope you are okay.
    I see you all snuggled up looking at camper vans with a huge cup of tea and a cat nearby.
    Take care
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    How did I miss you are unwell? I hope you are okay.
    I see you all snuggled up looking at camper vans with a huge cup of tea and a cat nearby.
    Take care
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks DIA, I am feeling better

Rosa xx

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Belated shuffle report...

All looking ok, apart from a missing 6-odd on the CC which I refuse to worry about. I've got the app for the account now so easy to check.

Tax and electric have both failed to let me give them money yet - suppose I won't moan about that

Refund for refused substitution in the online order has come through straightaway so am happy with that too.

Robovac is bloody marvellous - don't know that I'd trust it left alone, especially after the horror stories of what they can do with animal related incidents, but it's done very well just pootling about the upstairs or downstairs while I do something else and keep a vague eye on it. It can't get the very tight corners but will certainly count as doing the 'middles' part of a FlyLady routine. It's not quite as noisy as the 'normal' one and the filter seems to be better, which has reminded me to buy a new one for the other vacuum (I am debating also replacing the hose but that seems to be 50 - suppose it would be greener, and I have no actual need for a different vacuum as that one does very well - will see how it gets on with new filter). Really pleased with it as that means my least favourite job can now be done much more often and easily

Old furniture is being collected this week and I think I have almost decided to also replace the sofa. I know what I would like instead and it would mean I have the house fully sorted ready for the next phase. Might not be very good timing if combined with campervan but that is still all up in the air so might just go with the flow It's very therapeutic having a proper clearout and choosing things that reflect me - as I am and want to be now, not donkeys ago - seems to be happening in other areas of my life as well so here's hoping that this spring is the start of wonderful things.

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 09-04-2018 at 6:59 PM.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 18, 8:10 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,712 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, indeed, hoping that spring is indeed the start of good things for you

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Apr 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,482 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I so want a robot cleaner Have seen some great videos with cats riding on them which put me off
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I so want a robot cleaner Have seen some great videos with cats riding on them which put me off
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Cats are less freaked out by it than the normal hoover, but did the ears back deeply suspicious dance and ran away so I don't think they'll be riding it any time soon.

I don't think I'd realised how much the vacuuming thing was getting me down til seeing both floors clean without the hassle of wrestling vacuum from cupboard and up and down stairs combined with noise and coughing from dust. The stairs themselves still need doing but can be swept down with a brush and the robot can get the mess in the hall. I just opened all the doors, pressed go, and left it to pootle for a while. All the stuff coming in from the garden via the cats has disappeared and the general dust levels are much improved everywhere it can reach, which includes along skirting boards and under beds.

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 11th Apr 18, 10:05 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Loved that really made me laugh
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 11th Apr 18, 10:08 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 4,231 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Cats are less freaked out by it than the normal hoover, but did the ears back deeply suspicious dance and ran away so I don't think they'll be riding it any time soon.

I don't think I'd realised how much the vacuuming thing was getting me down til seeing both floors clean without the hassle of wrestling vacuum from cupboard and up and down stairs combined with noise and coughing from dust. The stairs themselves still need doing but can be swept down with a brush and the robot can get the mess in the hall. I just opened all the doors, pressed go, and left it to pootle for a while. All the stuff coming in from the garden via the cats has disappeared and the general dust levels are much improved everywhere it can reach, which includes along skirting boards and under beds.
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Oh FAb news about the new robohoover
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Apr 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Gah, there's always ruddy something and today's was a completely insane electric bill. The good news is that the company agree it's insane and think there's something up with my meter, but I could really do without the stress. I think I will have to get the meter changed and have asked the electrician to come round and have a look - I'd rather pay him a callout than continue worrying about it. I was putting off dealing with this until the new smart meters come out but it looks like it might have to be dealt with sooner. Was also annoyed as it distracted me during a work call - yes, I shouldn't have been on my other phone anyway - and my stress levels just went zooming up. I know there isn't a need, since it was obviously bonkers and I do have buffer funds now, but it happened all the same.

I am feeling rather behind and distracted with everything, and trying to remember to pace myself. I actually got the FlyLady book out last night to remind me... think the frustration is partly because now it feels like being organised is doable and I should get there, but must remember to go slowly rather than the usual crash & burn style, especially as I've just been ill.

Budget is otherwise ok, and I have hopefully fun weekend plans coming up - at a friend's this weekend, then the next couple will be last bits of furniture sorting and maybe a trip to a campervan dealer

Rosa xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 14,038 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry about the electricity bill woes and I agree even if you know it will be resolved it is still stressful.

Take it easy and as you say, pace yourself.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin