Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,497Posts
    • 9,338Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

Page 88
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 1st Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Pleased to report three things fixed in the house today, and a bonus in that the problem with the heater turned out to be an issue with the switch not the heater itself. I was hoovering the dust off it to put it back when I found the on switch so that is a very timely discovery of a working heater, means I can put off looking for one and saves something from landfill

Emailed about getting a quote for some outside work, which is probably more than I want to spend but it would add to the house value and look nicer to come home to. I have a few bits and pieces I also want doing and may just get someone to come and do the lot rather than mess about with it myself - just need to buy the stuff. So that's a job for the next week or so.

Snow is not drastic here but did fall steadily all afternoon. I was rather hoping it wouldn't as am supposed to be driving somewhere tomorrow evening oh well. Glad I insisted on only looking at villages that have a shop - I can walk down there in a few minutes which is a blessing when the weather is like this, there are local places I would have to drive.

Feeling very grateful today - to have this house, be able to look after it and heat it without worrying. Sent a donation to one of the charities organising emergency shelters in town as I couldn't immediately think of another way to help.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sunday shuffling...

Technically over budget, but this is due to the home improvements work and will be mostly remedied by some expenses payments. Transferred some money to the Clyde5da7e savings account after realising that it pays a bit more interest - now that I have money I can save, it may as well be in the best place. Will think about shifting more in that direction, as I don't really need the current accounts to have the balances they do, especially with fast transfers available.

Annoyed to find that ShopN5can are somehow 'out of stock' of 4mazon vouchers. Hope that's not going to be permanent - I can use TK Ma77 ones instead, but the 4mazon is more sensible. Finally received 3bay postage refund after chasing the seller - it wasn't much, but it's the principle of the thing .

Stayed in due to snow this weekend - annoyed about it, but not worth driving as the event was cancelled anyway. So spends are down as have only been to the local Co-op.

And not much other news -wise... transfers set up already, and payday will be here soon enough. Oh, still no reply from the tax office on how much they'd like me to pay them, so suppose I should chase that up. It's put aside anyway.

So all quiet here atm and I guess maybe that's the best way for it to be...

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 4th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 7,102 Posts
    • 49,557 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think shop n scan get a set qty of codes in batches which sometimes run out while they wait for new ones. It doesn't usually take long, check back tomorrow and they'll prob be available again.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I think shop n scan get a set qty of codes in batches which sometimes run out while they wait for new ones. It doesn't usually take long, check back tomorrow and they'll prob be available again.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Thanks Kerri, good to know
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 10,662 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Last week I moved a pile of cash round to maximise interest and then logged on and had a panic when the current account was nearly empty and I had forgotten that I had moved it

Home improvement spending is at least an investment.
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 8th Mar 18, 12:53 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    How are you Rosa, I came on tonight to update my Wednesday night shuffle. I seem to have fallen off the wagon lately so am catching up with the old style threads for some inspiration.

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    How are you Rosa, I came on tonight to update my Wednesday night shuffle. I seem to have fallen off the wagon lately so am catching up with the old style threads for some inspiration.

Sam x
    Originally posted by moneyonmymindsam
    Hi Sam

I'm ok... bit swamped as still catching up with myself on extra contract after the big interview. So still on ready meals this week . And have just had a good rant at an 4maz0n supplier for sending me the wrong replacement part for something, despite carefully explaining in the listing which way up the indicator and fitting bit go and listing the model... then they sent the one that doesn't fit and they warned me against . I suppose at least with online ordering it's only a trip to the corner shop instead of back into town but I'm still fuming!

Moneywise things are OK and I'm thinking of replacing some furniture - so a 1kea trip and order things to put together over the Easter weekend. I don't 'need' to, but it will look better and help me feel that the place is fresh rather than living with things I chose for a shared house years ago.

How's things in Sam land?

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 8th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    All good thanks

I really do think that the furniture will spark things for you - always nice to come home and enjoy what you have often without realising it.

I have been a bit spendy , housey bits - including new mattress, Microwave, washing machine etc and thought whilst its great to be frugal I really find joy in having nice new environment as previous to that I was coming home and feeling blurgh as I looked around so I feel more relaxed at home - so go for it !!! i know its only stuff but the positive vibes far out weighed the spend for me.

Grr to amaz0n seller .

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Mar 18, 11:17 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    All good thanks

I really do think that the furniture will spark things for you - always nice to come home and enjoy what you have often without realising it.

I have been a bit spendy , housey bits - including new mattress, Microwave, washing machine etc and thought whilst its great to be frugal I really find joy in having nice new environment as previous to that I was coming home and feeling blurgh as I looked around so I feel more relaxed at home - so go for it !!! i know its only stuff but the positive vibes far out weighed the spend for me.

Grr to amaz0n seller .

Sam x

Thanks Sam

I do think it will make a difference.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Mar 18, 11:39 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Budgeting while tired... not a good plan really. It's just taken me about 40 minutes to untangle my PayPa7 transactions as I didn't spot one transfer that was right in front of me! Also a minor panic as I thought I'd set up my CC payment already but it hadn't gone through and wasn't showing up as pending - so have sent it again. Just as well I checked as it's due today. So is the old one and I had a minor panic about that too - sent a payment to clear it before realising the reason I couldn't find another statement was because I haven't had one yet, and it had had the payment early . Still, soooo glad to be able to do that without worrying about where to pull it from as it was already set aside in YNAB. Also discovered in the PayPa7 nonsense that an 3bay seller I kindly did not report for sending something in unacceptable condition has managed to refund me an odd amount less than agreed for the return postage... sigh... another message sent, I know it's a titchy amount but that's not the point, I even sent a photo of the proof of postage and didn't include the cost of the packaging - should have just reported them to begin with, I was trying to be kind!

Budget is now done for coming payday, which will cover furniture spendiness, and is running at technically about £40 overspent. But I'm waiting on about £120 expenses and am planning to return the rug that I bought when ordering furniture and which isn't the colour it looked in the shop, so that's another £40 back too. Also, it's unlikely I will manage to spend what I've budgeted for fitness and clothes in less than a fortnight so that can be adjusted later too.

There is potential for more furniture spendiness to finish up that room, but mostly via 3bay, and next month's spare money may have to go towards replacing the TV. Not my usual priority, but I am watching it more than before now that I'm settled and it has developed an annoying buzz with the sound. It never was very good and I've tried various cables to get it to output to speakers with no result. So perhaps it's time to give up on it and buy a smart one with better sound, so I can enjoy Blue Planet properly . The prices don't look as hideous as I expected, so I'll stop by the retail park later in the week and have a look there.

So plodding on, with the usual detours... getting places slowly!

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 12-03-2018 at 11:50 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 13th Mar 18, 1:06 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hi
    Yes naughty 3bay seller - I believe that if my buyer is not happy neither am I and then do my utmost to put it right. Funny when buy stuff it's usually not in saleable condition (!) but when I sell its new and I have even (in the past) had people wear things from new and return via ebay which is just shocking.

Yes about TV the prices have come down and ooo I'd be a sucker for a smart TV too. lol sorry not very MSE :-)

Sam
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Early Sunday shuffle, all actually checked in the early hours of Saturday as I couldn't sleep!

All OK, technically overspent by £16 but still awaiting over £100 of expenses and payday will be here soon anyway. I am stocked up on most things including food, toiletries and cat food (and have ordered a trial pack of the Pure freeze dried cat stuff to see how that goes down - any reports?). Phone contract ended and moved to cheap deal on rolling contract, yay - that's about £40 a month back in the pot! And in the process I found a spare phone I'd forgotten about, so have ordered a PAYG SIM to make that usable if needed.

I'm feeling much more relaxed now that my job application is over, and it looks like I may have found another way of making the same step at work anyhow which is great news. It would probably mean I can't move where I'd ideally like for a while, but I've decided to just live gracefully with that - I can continue going for holidays, and make plans later. There may be an opportunity coming up with my extra contract too, so will see where that goes.

This also means I've finally had time to do more with the house. I've got some living room furniture waiting to be put together this weekend and next, and spent a lot of last night reshuffling the office as I decided that really needs a proper desk instead of the old table I'm currently using. I spend a lot of time in here as I work a few days from home and am negotiating for more, so it is totally justified and anyway, again it turns out the things I want are the simple and eco-friendly, not the expensive ones anyway! I'm really pleased with the arrangement I've come up with, it is a lot more sensible, so am looking forward to another furniture shopping trip and getting that done.

The TV had stopped making noises but has started again so that and the office furniture may take up this month's spare money. Thankfully there isn't a lot else needs doing as I have decided to schedule things a bit more cleverly - eg I can focus on the garden in the summer and improving the heating can wait til the autumn. I may even be able to rehome the furniture I am replacing to a friend who is looking to move soon. I'm really surprised how happy it is making me to get new furniture, but it does feel so good to be able to buy things that work for my life now, here, instead of looking at stuff I brought from ten years and three houses ago. I no longer need to scrimp to the point of living with that. (You are absolutely right Sam, it's lovely to look around at things that make me happy instead of bleurgh.)

This afternoon I also checked out remortgaging... rather early as the fixed deal doesn't finish til next year, but I think I just needed a fix and everything else is under control . Of course there is no idea what prices will do, but if the value of this house at least holds (and I hope it will as next door recently sold for more) then it looks like I will be able to move a little on the LTV. Glad to have done this as I read through the MSE remortgaging guide (of course) and now I feel I know what needs to happen - and I'm relieved to see it looks less hassle than first time buying! It all feels a world away from where I was even 18 months ago.

Oh, and I bought fresh flowers for the kitchen. I'd forgotten how much I like that too

So all well here atm... hope everyone's safe and not having to drive in the snow.

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-03-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 19th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Am feeling so terrifically organised I wanted to put it on record somewhere - it won't last

• Called HMRC who confirmed that they have received my form, the delay is from their side and my deadline has been extended. Should have a figure and info on how to pay from them in about a fortnight.
    • Called the mortgage company, who gave me a confirmed projection of what I will owe when the fixed rate expires and also explained that they will write to me a few months beforehand with their offers. Hoping they will have a good deal as it would save fees and hassle. Also checked when overpayments are applied and it turns out they are added within 24 hours, so definitely reducing the actual balance straightaway. I will try and go back to sending a bit extra here and there but sorting the place to live in takes priority.
    • Had a quick look online for salaries relating to extra contract just in case there turn out to be some options there. Surprised to find they look possible so will see what comes of that - glad I know in advance of discussions.
    • Dared to open the cupboard and check the pile of filing awaiting me in relation to small-business-that-hasn't-really-got-anywhere-yet. It's smaller than I had thought, so hoping I may feel brave enough to tackle that over the bank hol weekend. If I alternate it with the thing I also have to write over the bank hol weekend they can each seem like the lesser evil at the time
    So all good here - still plodding, still learning, still very glad of MSE

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 19-03-2018 at 2:45 PM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 54,931 Posts
    • 219,327 Thanks
    beanielou
    Plodding is always good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,782 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounding positive there Rosa
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 19th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Very organised
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Shuffling, frogs, and DIY determination
    Sunday shuffle report... er, . I've spent an utterly ridiculous amount on groceries this month. It does include some house cleaning etc bits that I count in there as well as food (it doesn't seem worth tracking them separately) but I have also stocked up twice on gf PieMinister pies and they haven't exactly made it into the freezer which is a very expensive way of eating. Never mind - it helped me get lots done in the house so will have more time to chill and to cook soon. I also paid out for a professional membership, and bought furniture.

I am technically about £140 overspent for March, which is not surprising given the spends on furniture. There's £60 expenses due tomorrow but I will also need a few more bits on food, so it will probably be about the same going into April. Not really an issue though as nothing due to take up April's spare money - I will probably use a bit more on something around the house (I haven't heard from the tax office yet, but that money is set aside and so is the delayed electric bill which will go out at the start of April). I've been reflecting on what needs doing when, as there are some things that could just wait til the autumn, and leave me money spare over the summer for other things...

I tackled a few frogs this weekend - lots of flatpacking done, and I now have a home office. I can't believe how happy this makes me. It's not at all fancy, just a desk and matching shelf unit, but it means I am actually working at a proper desk instead of a wobbly ex-kitchen table and the room looks so much tidier. I also shifted some of the stuff in the spare room as I have a friend coming to stay. So progress is happening on the decluttering, even if not very rapidly. I ducked a frog of the extra contract flavour, so that needs doing tomorrow night, and have one more large frog of an academic assignment to do over the bank hol weekend, but at least it's the last one.

DIA's lovely debt free post and reflection on the work that needs doing on her house made me think again about my DIY decisions. I decided that it may not be a very graceful journey, but actually this is something that I should show up for because it will make me happier knowing that I understand how things fit together and save me money in this and possibly future houses. So there's now an adjustable wrench and bunch of washers waiting for an evening when I can tackle the dripping tap. And a DIY book on its way from Amazon - one that I had a copy of and really liked, then gave away because I thought I wouldn't have need of it with not being able to buy a house, and now wish I hadn't. Worth the £5 to have an updated version

Very little other news, as I've been staying in doing house sorting... but now that's coming under control it will be time to think about new plans. So all good here, just plodding happily... hope everyone else is good too.

Rosa xx
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 26-03-2018 at 12:04 AM.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 25th Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    All sounding good Rosa

Home office...get you ...lol

Sam xx
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 25th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 3,497 Posts
    • 9,338 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    All sounding good Rosa

Home office...get you ...lol

Sam xx
    Ooh yes, a whole room just for working in. It feels extravagant! But I spend so much time in here already and as I'm hoping to get two days a week WFH it makes sense. I have a little heater and I've got the essential oil diffuser in here too - the whole house has smelled of rose oil today

The having-trouble-adjusting thing seems to be that I can't decide what to do with the old furniture . Part of me wants to put it all in the garage so that if this house owning lark all goes horribly wrong it will be there for another rented flat . I would kind of like it to go to someone who needs it, but in practice it would cost more for a van and help to shift it than for someone to just buy it new and get it delivered. I'm trying to convince myself to just give the lot to charity but it may take a few days of getting used to the new stuff first. I'm not claiming this is rational...

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...

• moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 26th Mar 18, 12:06 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Nice to have a nice new office :-)

You will do the right thing you always do.

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin