Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    • 3,451Posts
    • 9,076Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Balancing not just the budget
    • 18th Jan 13, 11:19 PM
    Balancing not just the budget 18th Jan 13 at 11:19 PM
    Well it's been more than a few months and I seem to still have more than a few questions, so I think it's time for a new thread

(The old one is here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3629199)
    Last edited by RosaBernicia; 18-01-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

Page 86
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Feb 18, 6:32 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,111 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sounds like a good idea to have a hotel the night before. Much less stressful.

Your holiday plans are taking shape

I did not have a holiday due to debt, but I have plans this year as I am DF. Holidays are essential really aren't they?

Happy Sunday
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I did not have a holiday due to debt, but I have plans this year as I am DF. Holidays are essential really aren't they?
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I think we forget just how important it is to have free time, away from thinking about daily life and debts. I didn't have 'proper' holidays for years as I used up all my annual leave for my exams and training. I thought once that was sorted and I had the house I would want to spend money and time on the house, and instead I pretty much went 'Yippee that's done then!' and rushed off elsewhere

I have some ideas of plans for early in the year but haven't thought much about later on. I am also seriously wondering about the van question, as it would give so much freedom and make camping a bit less risky - but it would mean going back into debt for it (less of an issue when the debt is sort of secured by relating to something sellable), plus maintenance and storage. Hiring one is just daft as it would cost 10% of the purchase price for one week, which is where this whole question came up again...

Have you ideas of where you want to go, DIA? A vision or Pinterest board might be a nice idea for this

Rosa xx

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,634 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Re. Camper van... A mate of mine got a former "Welfare Unit" van from a construction company and kitted it out with a folding camper bed. It was already kitted out with a fridge, cooker and microwave all built in. Total cost of buying the van and the minimal conversion was under 10k... so might be worth checking out commercial vehicle sales on the trader sites
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Feb 18, 10:27 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Re. Camper van... A mate of mine got a former "Welfare Unit" van from a construction company and kitted it out with a folding camper bed. It was already kitted out with a fridge, cooker and microwave all built in. Total cost of buying the van and the minimal conversion was under 10k... so might be worth checking out commercial vehicle sales on the trader sites
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    thanks US, that sounds worth a look I am not confident or competent with many practical things so wasn't looking at conversions but I think I could probably manage sticking a folding bed in

Rosa xx

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 9,584 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Worth keeping an eye on fleabay too - we got an ancient fibre glass type 4 berth Bedford motorhome for 2.6k a few years ago. She was an end of season, no bids, wine fuelled purchase in the days of plenty. She would be a lot better for a respray and a 'classic' number plate that makes her look classic rather than tired, and some less busy furniture covers but in terms of value 'Bertha' was a great buy.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Thanks folks

Spotted an 3bay ad that might be of interest and is near my original home patch, so thinking of sending Mum to have a look. Cheaper than I'd expect for what it seems to be, but then it is winter and as mum said when I asked, 'nobody visits that town without a good reason'

Rosa xx

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Feb 18, 10:45 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,858 Thanks
    ZTD
    I am not confident or competent with many practical things
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Unless you practice, how could you expect yourself to be?

mum said when I asked, 'nobody visits that town without a good reason'
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    That's not narrowing it down...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 5th Feb 18, 11:57 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Unless you practice, how could you expect yourself to be?
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Well, we're back at the 'things I would do very rarely and probably not very well the first time'. I've no intention of making a habit of doing up campervans.

That's not narrowing it down...
    Originally posted by ZTD

Rosa xx

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 6th Feb 18, 12:05 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Yay hurrah for MSE

250 easy money aka tax free switching incentive just landed in my account, woop woop

New CC arrived and already used, will be getting me money off the Wa1tro5e shop

ShopNScan already up to another 10, though am leaving it there in case I decide to go for the 25 TK Ma77 voucher instead of the usual 4maz0n.

My life would be such a mess without this place

Rosa xx

• MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 7th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello Rosa,

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I haven't caught up on much with other diaries yet, but am planning a nice quiet evening reading of all the antics I've missed.

I hope all is well with you.

MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: 2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Feb 18, 1:20 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 45,386 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Rosa if HMRC didn't give you sufficient notice of their requirement for you to fill in a SA form then absolutely appeal any charges they might make! For next year bear in mind that the SA form usually opens for completion any time from around 10th April and there isn't generally a lot of benefit to leaving it to do later.

Camper van plans sound fab too - looking forward to seeing how that unfolds!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/853.32 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 7th Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Rosa if HMRC didn't give you sufficient notice of their requirement for you to fill in a SA form then absolutely appeal any charges they might make! For next year bear in mind that the SA form usually opens for completion any time from around 10th April and there isn't generally a lot of benefit to leaving it to do later.

Camper van plans sound fab too - looking forward to seeing how that unfolds!
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Thanks EH - only just got the activation code for SA, so planning on doing that tomorrow night or Friday. They agreed I probably had to do SA, just didn't tell me that it takes time to set up and that apparently I was supposed to log foreign income in October (as my extra contract is paid from overseas) - if I had known I would have done it earlier, so will definitely moan at them if they try to charge me.

I do love the van idea. Will follow it up...

Rosa xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,111 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ooh loving the van idea too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Feb 18, 11:39 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    There's always ruddy something

Just realised this evening that I never had a final bill from NP0wer. Considering how much hassle it was for them to actually accept my meter readings - generally involving three phone conversations every time - it doesn't at all surprise me that they're useless, but as I suspected I owe them about 300 I did think they'd be chasing it. (This is mostly due to the period where I was on a ridiculous rate after just moving in and trying to figure out what to do with the odd meter situation.) It appears they have transferred me to Bu7b with an estimate, despite me submitting readings to at least one of them, and the only way I've found my supposed final bill is by checking the account on MSE CreditClub. The slightly good news is that my guess was correct and there is almost 300 outstanding so at least it shouldn't be any worse. The even more annoying news is that my Bu7b account does not appear to include the promised 100 referral bonus.

Grumpy phone calls tomorrow...

At least if I get this and the tax bill sorted that will be everything untangled from moving and I can carry on with a clean sheet.

Rosa xx

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Early shuffles
    Shuffle done today as was adding things to YNAB anyway and now that I have apps on my phone for all the accounts, it's really quick to do.

Realised I was not quite as skint as I thought - I'd counted some expected income but allocated it to a category already and it doesn't need to be there. So that's been sorted, and I have allowed for paying off the electric bill, paying my tax bill and still had enough to start up a campervan fund.

Just got the info through today on the job I am applying for and am really disappointed to find that there's only one job in the area I want. There's usually 3-4 but it does vary year to year. That puts the chances down by quite a bit so it feels like a huge amount of effort for a chance at just one job. However, I've got this far and the hotel is paid for so I think I will carry on. It does mean I will need to do some more thinking once the interview is over though, as perhaps I have more specific wishes than I had realised. As I said to DIA yesterday, 'we only grieve where we love' - so obviously it is something I want, and I guess I'd better go get on with it.

Rosa xx

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 10th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oh and annoyed to find that customer service hours appear to have reverted to office hours. Not possible to reach either my electricity or my potential broadband supplier on weekends or evenings. I suppose at least now most people have mobiles it's not as difficult as it was to squeeze in a call over a lunchtime or teabreak.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,111 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I share your irritation for everything coming to a full stop at weekends and after 5. I work Saturdays too so I have no chance getting stuff sorted on Sundays!

Wishing you all the best for your interview. It is exciting to have an interview so relax and enjoy the night at the hotel too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Feb 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sunday and more shuffles
    Sig updated to reflect the extra half a percent now removed from my mortgage! I love knowing that it is going down, even if only slowly. Entered in YNAB too. I have been wondering about YNAB recently after they annoyed me, as it is effectively about 2.75 a month - but I do find it so useful and it makes the budgeting feel like a game, rather than a nuisance - so for me it's worth it.

Have decided to close my last remaining storecard. I never go in there any more, I don't use even the sale vouchers they send and I forget to carry the card so the last thing I did buy, I paid full price for anyway rather than risk it selling out before I could get it ordered. Plus I don't want to be endorsing cards that charge almost 30% APR. I can't seem to close it on the website so that's another phone call for tomorrow.

Also I found a potential van to look at!... but the sellers haven't replied to email yesterday or phone today. I will try again tomorrow. It's not very near but I may be able to take another half day leave to go over there if it is still available and if the info sounds good. And in related good news, having checked my new credit card... the one where I was grumbling that they'd given me too high a limit... it's 0% on purchases for 9 months. This may come in handy after all...

Happy Sunday everybody

Rosa xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Feb 18, 5:40 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,111 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done on the store card
    The van sounds exciting
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Feb 18, 9:59 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,076 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hello Rosa,

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I haven't caught up on much with other diaries yet, but am planning a nice quiet evening reading of all the antics I've missed.

I hope all is well with you.

MTxx
    Originally posted by MuffinTops
    MT! Sorry I meant to welcome you earlier and got distracted!

Wonderful to have you back and I hope all is well with you too. Will go check out your diary

Rosa xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter