837 credit score - "You have no successfully settled non-mail order accounts."

Hello,

I've just recently signed up to Experian CreditExpert and received my PIN in the post today. My score is 837 ('Fair') and I've been able to see now that I have 1 negative factor:

"You have no successfully settled non-mail order accounts."

What does this mean in reality?

Many thanks

Comments

• It means you dont have any closed accounts (eg a loan that was paid off or a credit card that has been closed) that arent from a mail order company
  • Such a strange 'negative factor' then. I don't particularly want a loan or another credit card.

By 'mail order company', does that mean not i.e. buying something off Amazon on my credit card and paying it off? It would have to be some kind of non-shopping purchase made on credit?

I'm just trying to think how I can resolve this without purchasing something I don't need.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No, they mean something like a Next account where you buy on credit from their catalogue/online.
  • droiderm
    droiderm Posts: 778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why do you care what Experian think?
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    The 'score' is totally meaningless.
  • blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    synchro wrote: »
    Such a strange 'negative factor' then. I don't particularly want a loan or another credit card.

Not really. If you have shown in the past that you have borrowed money and paid it all back on time then this is a positive factor. So the fact that you can't show that is negative as it makes you more of a risk in their eyes.

Easiest way to get around it? Get a cashback or rewards credit card, pay for usual shopping/fuel etc on it, pay it off in full every month ensuring you dont go over the limit/miss payment/etc. Shows you can manage credit and gets you some free cash/rewards on things you'd be buying anyway!

I'm currently getting 3% on all of my food/petrol/etc on Aqua's cashback card, as is my partner, so we will be getting a free £200 (£100 limit) in July without spending a penny we wouldnt have spent anyway:)
  • synchro wrote: »
    Such a strange 'negative factor' then. I don't particularly want a loan or another credit card

Whilst any non-mail order company counts it really makes most sense when considering loans as it shows you can stick to an agreement and see it through to the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure