Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 15
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 18th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Couldn't you simply have bought a sandwich at some point? Why do people suddenly lose the ability to provide for themselves just because they don't get a refreshment voucher.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 18th Apr 18, 9:51 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Couldn't you simply have bought a sandwich at some point? Why do people suddenly lose the ability to provide for themselves just because they don't get a refreshment voucher.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    There are no places to buy a sandwich in the transit zone in question.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 19th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 2,281 Thanks
    jpsartre
    In that case a meal voucher wouldn't have been any good either.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 19th Apr 18, 10:42 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    In that case a meal voucher wouldn't have been any good either.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    Not having directions/advice as to where one can get a hot meal was irksome, but unimportant, after spending dozens of hours on airfields waiting to be airborne I don't fly from a UK airport without a Boots meal deal. It is great in terms price/quality ratio.

What is important is that due to Lufthansa carelessness I've missed 24 hours of the business meeting which was the purpose of the trip and a day of work. Even then, I wouldn't be complaining if I was sent home from BHX in order to catch a flight from LHR the next day, or if I got to spend the waiting time in the business lounge (to which I have access to) rather then in the queue at the Service Centre.

I agree weather was not perfect that day, but the snowstorm was predicted by meteorologists at least a week in advance. It was certainly possible to get more staff at their service centres.
    Last edited by Emily Joy; 20-04-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    • wendyt1974
    • By wendyt1974 11th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    wendyt1974
    I had a missed cancellation in Frankfurt on my way back from holiday from Orlando to Birmingham. Lufthansa only allowed 1 hour to transfer between flights... anyone who knows Frankfurt airport will understand that if you land at one end of the airport and have to connect at the other end you have no chance in an hour! The first flight was 15 minutes late at the gate so we had even less time to connect. The next flight available wasn't until 10 hours later.

I submitted my complaint/claim via their online 'feedback form'. Had an immediate automated response and another 2 weeks later advising they were still looking into it due to volumes.

2 further weeks and I received an email agreeing the claim and paying back 525 each (there were 4 of us on one booking and 1 further). Emailed them my bank details and the money was in my account 1 week later.

Very straight forward, didn't need to speak to anyone, you could say typical German efficiency. I've flown with Lufthansa many times and whilst they are always good I would recommend even more now that they have dealt with a problem so well.

PS I did spend an hour on MSE before I wrote the complaint and included all flight numbers, scheduled and delayed times.
    • Tesshan
    • By Tesshan 15th Nov 18, 10:19 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tesshan
    Question about the extraordinary circumstances: 2 weeks ago I was supposed to fly from Dublin to Seoul via Frankfurt. The flight to Frankfurt was delayed by 2 hours and then cancelled because the toilets on the plane were all blocked (apparently they tried to fix it for 2 hours before giving up). We never even got on the plane and after the long wait at the gate the captain appeared and told us that the plane could not fly like this and the flight was cancelled (because of this we missed our connecting flight to Seoul). We later found out that the plane flew to Frankfurt empty to be fixed there and that it landed around 5 h later than the scheduled arrival time. It took us 2 additional hours to get the luggage back and LH rebooked our tickets to fly out the following day and offered us a hotel for the night.
    Does the toilet issue count as an extraordinary circumstance? I filed a compensation claim with LH but still have to hear from them. If they offer compensation will it be only for the first leg of the trip or the whole trip?
    Last edited by Tesshan; 15-11-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th Nov 18, 11:25 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    No, the toilet issue is definitely not an EC. Its a load of crap if they tell you it is
    If you booked a single through ticket with LH from Dublin to Seoul, via Frankfurt, then the compensation is for the whole trip. ie €600 per person.
    Also its not a case of LH "offering" you compensation. You are almost certainly due it by law and regulation EC261/2004.
    If you get no repsonse by the end of the month then contact them again giving 14 days notice for payment.

Most airlines will string you along in the hope you go away. Perseverance is the key.
    Last edited by JPears; 15-11-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Tesshan
    • By Tesshan 15th Nov 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tesshan
    Thank you for the reply! I will not let it go for sure. I missed a whole day of my trip because of the delay. I was just wondering if they might list this as a security issue. Fingers crossed it will all work out in a speedy fashion.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 15th Nov 18, 1:04 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    A malfunctioning toilet is a technical issue, nothing to do with security.

• Tesshan
    • By Tesshan 21st Nov 18, 1:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tesshan
    Lufthansa came back to me and said that they declined the full compensation request and that they will cover only the first leg of the trip. 250 Euro per person and not more.
    My ticket was covering the whole trip (one booking made on the Lufthansa website) but the lady said that the request was denied. She said that she had resubmitted it already twice with the same outcome.
    What do you think? Anything else I can do in this case?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st Nov 18, 2:18 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    They are wrong.
    This matter was resolved by the Gahan V Emirates case earlier this year. The case clearly established that it is the final destination that counts for compensation.
    Contact them again quoting the case. Also give them 14 days to pay up. Mark your message as an NBA/LBA then start reading up on small claims procedure.

• Tesshan
    • By Tesshan 21st Nov 18, 3:06 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tesshan
    They are wrong.
    This matter was resolved by the Gahan V Emirates case earlier this year. The case clearly established that it is the final destination that counts for compensation.
    Contact them again quoting the case. Also give them 14 days to pay up. Mark your message as an NBA/LBA then start reading up on small claims procedure.
    Originally posted by JPears

Thank you for the update!
    Will do. Will report back when I have news.
    • Tesshan
    • By Tesshan 22nd Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tesshan
    New update: I sent my reply quoting the court case you mentioned and now I found a voicemail from Lufthansa (was in a meeting and could not take the call) and the agent said that I will get full compensation based on final destination.
    Will wait until I see the money appear in my account. Thank you for the help @JPears!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 22nd Nov 18, 11:02 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    JPears
    Fantastic news.
    Yet another example of an airline trying to lie to a passenger in a pathetic attempt to avoiding paying out what they are legally obliged to.
    Can I suggest a letter of complaint to CAA about the airlines behaviour?

• Tesshan
    • By Tesshan 22nd Nov 18, 11:21 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tesshan
    Fantastic news.
    Yet another example of an airline trying to lie to a passenger in a pathetic attempt to avoiding paying out what they are legally obliged to.
    Can I suggest a letter of complaint to CAA about the airlines behaviour?
    Originally posted by JPears

It might be a good idea but I only have this one voicemail and no written statements from Lufthansa as proof as they always called me instead of replying to my emails.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

309Posts Today

1,526Users online

Martin's Twitter