Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 14
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 18th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    19th December saw a large number of cancelled flights from both Heathrow and London City by BA so weather may well have been an issue and London City is not a good airport during poor weather. Good luck as I suspect LH will continue to deny the claim based on the weather forecasts issued the night before and advice from ATC.
    • Gavin R1
    • By Gavin R1 6th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gavin R1
    How recently is this? Flight numbers tend not to change to much so if you know approximately when you travelled it shouldn't be too hard to take an educated guess at the flight number. If you post more details someone in here may be able to give suggestions.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    The flight was LH 2480 on the 30th Nov 2012.
    PS sorry for the delayed response
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 6th Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Justice13075
    The statue of limitations in Germany is I believe 3 years not 6 like England.
    • Gavin R1
    • By Gavin R1 6th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gavin R1
    Isn't this European legislation though and not just Germany ?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 6th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Gavin, yes it is EU legislation but the length of time to make claim is governed by the country in which you wish to make a claim
    • Gavin R1
    • By Gavin R1 6th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gavin R1
    Will a SAR work on a European company ?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 6th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    SAR's are part of the UK Data Protection Act, not EU legislation. I would suspect they could ignore it without being concerned about the consequences but as noted above, it does appear you are now well past the time for taking action in Germany for an internal flight.......
    Last edited by Alan Bowen; 06-03-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 11th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    My recent trip was delayed for over 24 hours and I am convinced Lufthansa didn't take reasonable measures to make the delay shorter or less unpleasant. Being stuck in a queque at the Service Centre for 8 hours without meal and in an overheated airport was not an experience I would go through again.

I have complained to Lufthansa directly via email and in-directly via Resolver. Any ideas where to go next?
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 11th Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    Tyzap
    My recent trip was delayed for over 24 hours and I am convinced Lufthansa didn't take reasonable measures to make the delay shorter or less unpleasant. Being stuck in a queque at the Service Centre for 8 hours without meal and in an overheated airport was not an experience I would go through again.

I have complained to Lufthansa directly via email and in-directly via Resolver. Any ideas where to go next?
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    Hi Emily Joy,

One step at a time, see what they say first. You never know they may accept your claim without all the usual hassle

Have a read of Vaubans guide in the mean time. Details below.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    Download Vauban's super informative and most useful guide.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 11th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Hi Emily Joy,

One step at a time, see what they say first. You never know they may accept your claim without all the usual hassle

Have a read of Vaubans guide in the mean time. Details below.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Tyzap
    Reading Vaubans guide was the first thing I did.

I understood that the next stop should be Sop. I am afraid I didn't quite understand if Sop charges you if the claim is successful.

I was looking for some positive experience.
    Last edited by Emily Joy; 11-04-2018 at 1:12 PM.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    Sop? Im not sure what you mean by Sop?

• Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 11th Apr 18, 1:35 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Sop? Im not sure what you mean by Sop?
    Originally posted by JPears
    Söp – Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Eurowings, Germania, Germanwings, Lufthansa, Scandanavia Airline SAS and Swiss. You can submit your complaint here – there's no fee if your claim's unsuccessful. This scheme's decisions are not legally binding on the airline, but it says 90% of businesses follow its rulings.

According to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 11th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    Ah, thank you. That must be their version of an ADR service.
    The ADRs in the UK charge you £25 if you are unsucessful, otherwise its free.

• Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 12th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Ah, thank you. That must be their version of an ADR service.
    The ADRs in the UK charge you £25 if you are unsucessful, otherwise its free.
    So is this the correct order: Airline => Resolver => ADR?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 12th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 3,663 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    There is no correct order, it depends on your particular circumstances, flight, delay/cancellation reason, level of determination, etc etc.
    Most of the vets on here would go airline letter >NBA>court, if necessary.

Resolver is just a letter writing exercise you can do yourself. Indeed some airlines, notably KLM/Air France will just ignore any Resolver communication.
    ADR can be useful but again some airlines are blatantly ignoring the ADR when it finds in favour of the passenger.
    There have been some glaring errors in wrong determinations from ADRs too.
    Sorry were not being much help!
    What will help us help you is if you give us all the detials of your delay- times, dates flight number, start and finish airport.

• tiptoptommy
    • By tiptoptommy 12th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tiptoptommy
    I was away in Germany with my family for a birthday celebration of a relative, we flew from Manchester, to Frankfurt and then to Hanover.

Whilst at the party (in the middle of nowhere with no WiFi) I received a text at 4.30pm saying that our flights for the following day were cancelled. The flight was due to depart at 2.30pm the next day. I needed to get back for work so I booked us on a flight on the same day of the cancelled on, spending around £550.

I also paid around £50 on an extension to the hire car.

The total price of the original flights was around £850.

If I contact Lufhansa for a refund for the original flights, will I be able to put a claim in for the difference in the flight costs and hire car after that? Or will the refund mean that I am no longer able to pursue for any further monies?

Thanks in advance.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 13th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    I was away in Germany with my family for a birthday celebration of a relative, we flew from Manchester, to Frankfurt and then to Hanover.

Whilst at the party (in the middle of nowhere with no WiFi) I received a text at 4.30pm saying that our flights for the following day were cancelled. The flight was due to depart at 2.30pm the next day. I needed to get back for work so I booked us on a flight on the same day of the cancelled on, spending around £550.

I also paid around £50 on an extension to the hire car.

The total price of the original flights was around £850.

If I contact Lufhansa for a refund for the original flights, will I be able to put a claim in for the difference in the flight costs and hire car after that? Or will the refund mean that I am no longer able to pursue for any further monies?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by tiptoptommy
    No - you are not eligible for a compensation based on what you say.

How did you make the new booking?

Have you called Lufthansa customer service and asked about new arrangements?
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 14th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    What will help us help you is if you give us all the detials of your delay- times, dates flight number, start and finish airport.
    Sorry if it is long and boring.

Booked:

18 March: LH953 BHX - FRA 09:05am - 11:40am + LH6792 FRA - YYC 01:30pm - 03:55pm

Travelled:

18 March: LH953 BHX - FRA (delayed) 11:41am - 01:57pm +
    18 March: LH922 FRA - LHR (delayed) 10:00pm - 10:12pm +
    19 March: BA 103 LHR - YYC (delayed) 02:11pm - 04:27pm (on time) + 1 day

Here is the story.

07:10am arrived to BHX. On approach I observed planes departing.
    07:20am sms from Lufthansa advising on 30 minutes delay, with a note that check-in time is the same
    07:25am checked-in and processed through security
    08:19am sms from Lufthansa advising new departure time 10:40
    08:30am airport departure board displayed 11:00am as a new departure time
    09:00am realising that I am about to miss the connection I went to the Swiss port joint airlines service desk - the only service desk past security. Explained that I am about to miss the connection and asked for help. I was told that the airport is closed as pilot are refusing to fly. I observed delayed LH959 flight to Frankfurt at the gate just outside and asked to be connected to Lufthansa service centre. Service centre advised me that the incoming flight hasn't left Frankfurt yet, it is not clear when (and if) it is likely to go. I was told to go to Frankfurt despite the fact I am likely to miss the connection. I was also told it's impossible for me to board the delayed LH959.
    09:30am Lufthansa representative (in the airline's uniform) handed out refreshment vouchers and advised me to go to Frankfurt. She also explained that there is a hotel in transit zone where I would be able to stay.
    09:45am sms from Lufthansa advising new departure time 11:45am
    09:55am delayed LH959 left the gate
    11:00am boarding LH953 started
    02:05pm arrived to the terminal and was told to proceed to the service centre next to gates B.
    02:15pm arrived at the service centre. There was a few hundreds people queueing and 5 desks open out of 12 total. Joined the queue.
    04:45pm passengers who could be rerouted automatically were re-routed by service centre kiosks. Those who were travelling within Schengen area were told to go to Schengen area as there are more service desks open. Bottled water and chocolate bars were provided, but there was no meal vouchers and no directions as to where one can buy meals. There were about 100-150 passengers in the queue (at about 5pm).
    08:15pm there were about 30 passengers in front of me. The only sensible option at that time was to catch LH922 9:30pm to London and to fly to Calgary the following day. A senior customer service personnel came around monitoring the crowd looking for people with urgent problems. I explained my situation. She kindly rebooked me on 9:30pm flight to London (I wasn't present - I simply asked for a specific flight option).
    08:50pm cleared security to UK departures. The food court was closing down at that time.
    09:50pm LH922 departed.
    10:35pm arrived to LHR, terminal 2. No Lufthansa representative was to be seen in transit zone. The hotel was arranged by a Swiss agent who was arranging accommodation for passengers of the cancelled Swiss flight to Zurich.
    00:20am arrived to the hotel. Kitchen was already closed and no meal option was available.
    11:00am + 1 day arrived to LHR to be told that my baggage is missing.
    04:30pm + 1 day arrived to YYC.
    06:00am + 3 days the missing baggage arrived.

This was about 3 weeks ago. Taxi + necessities receipts + delay claim submitted to Lufthansa, no reply.
    Last edited by Emily Joy; 18-04-2018 at 6:15 PM.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 18th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Received a letter from Lufthansa offering to cover the cost of taxi to the hotel as a goodwill gesture. They don't address the issue of inadequate care at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,777Posts Today

5,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin